• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

It looks like they will be patching out GFWL from the vanilla versions as well, as they have finally begun touching up the registry entries with some required changes.

I was referring to people who have previously purchased the DLC through the GFWL store once it was removed from Steam. Those are the people who will be left out in the cold.
I'm rather satisfied they will be patching GFWL out of all the pre-Origins Arkham games. It's entirely up to them if they want to give free stuff in response, but we aren't entitled to it. Sucks though. I'd say just wait for the GOTY edition to go on sale. Should be 5 bucks by the time the winter sale rolls around (i.e. definitely expecting a price drop on AC GOTY by the time Origins is out in the wild). I'm also short some AC DLC that I bought on GFWL too, sadly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No free GOTY upgrade for those who have the standard Batman AA/AC.

I'm ok with that.

tumblr_ml4j9bwqpo1rmyauarz.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I beefed ModBot up a little bit in cases of GAF connectivity issues. No guarantees it'll avoid weirdness, but hopefully no issues from now on.

So far for the past six hours in Assassin's Creed 3 I have been...

1) a middle aged white man
2) a native american child
3) a native american teenager
4) a bird
5) the same native american teenager, now training to be an assassin (getting places!)
6) that assassin-in-training turned boat captain

What I have yet to be is an actual assassin, you know, the guy on the cover of the boxart for this game or the background art for uPlay when you launch the game.

Ubisoft sure do love their bloat, I'm six hours in and still playing through tutorials and system explanations. I liked the twist with Haytham. I dunno if that was more clearly telegraphed if you've played the rest of the series, which I really haven't, but it's simply taking way too long. I just want to be roaming Boston's rooftops shanking Templar's already.

One thing I find kind of jarring as I play are the synchronisation updates after you complete a mission. You have to stop playing, hit start to view a specific, minimalistic menu and watch as one progress bar as it fills, then back out through tow or three other menus. So the game is taking waaay too long to get going and it's constantly stopping and starting to show me the progress I'm making with little bars filling.

All of this set-up isn't worth it.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So far for the past six hours in Assassin's Creed 3 I have been...

1) a middle aged white man
2) a native american child
3) a native american teenager
4) a bird
5) the same native american teenager, now training to be an assassin (getting places!)
6) that assassin-in-training turned boat captain

Wait.
I played a whopping 45 minutes of AC3 (on PS3, I do not plan to go back), and I thought Haytham was at least in part native-american, likely the main character's father.

If he's not, how come that Desmond is living his memories.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ubisoft sure do love their bloat, I'm six hours in and still playing through tutorials and system explanations. I liked the twist with Haytham. I dunno if that was more clearly telegraphed if you've played the rest of the series, which I really haven't, but it's simply taking way too long. I just want to be roaming Boston's rooftops shanking Templar's already.

Welcome to the world of "this game isn't long enough for $60." Bloat bloat bloat.

I didn't even get as far as you did.

Cru

I'm sorry to whoever wins this. Good luck

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Takedown: Red Sabre -- MB-6C8E5D761839060E

t1381979303z1.png

Wait.
I played a whopping 45 minutes of AC3 (on PS3, I do not plan to go back), and I thought Haytham was at least in part native-american, likely the main character's father.

If he's not, how come that Desmond is living his memories.

Haytham is Connor's father. Connor is half native, half brit. The twist with Haytham has to do with
his allegiance, given the weapons and play-style, you think he's an assassin but he's actually a templar.
It's a neat twist but I don't think it's worth the four or five hours you spend playing as Haytham. You waste so much time playing as this character doing all of these superfluous missions at the start for narrative's sake and then another couple of hours being introduced to the newer mechanics and iterations on previously existing systems before you actually start playing the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ikaruga greenlit.

ColbertGiveittomeNAO.gif

I said no more titles bought between BF4 and DS2 for a good year, but goddamn it I'm buying that.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Ticket to Ride -- MB-2C0F149AB7821441 - Taken by alr1ght
Incredipede -- MB-00245CFA1B3223ED - Taken by Nabs
Greed Corp -- MB-D6E34E4A609E03B5 - Taken by Anustart
Have fun guys!

Grief.exe

Mmm, what do you mean?
I bought Harley's Revenge through Steam, it should still be playable, right?

That is why I said 'previously purchased through the GFWL store.'

Your DLC is tied to the Arkham App ID

I'm rather satisfied they will be patching GFWL out of all the pre-Origins Arkham games. It's entirely up to them if they want to give free stuff in response, but we aren't entitled to it. Sucks though. I'd say just wait for the GOTY edition to go on sale. Should be 5 bucks by the time the winter sale rolls around (i.e. definitely expecting a price drop on AC GOTY by the time Origins is out in the wild). I'm also short some AC DLC that I bought on GFWL too, sadly.

They should be entitled to the products they have previously purchased. Just playing devil's advocate here as I own the GOTY versions.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Haytham is Connor's father. Connor is half native, half brit. The twist with Haytham has to do with
his allegiance, given the weapons and play-style, you think he's an assassin but he's actually a templar.
It's a neat twist but I don't think it's worth the four or five hours you spend playing as Haytham. You waste so much time playing as this character doing all of these superfluous missions at the start for narrative's sake and then another couple of hours being introduced to the newer mechanics and iterations on previously existing systems before you actually start playing the game.

The missions give a bit of context on the characters that form the primary motivation of the character on the cover of the box.

JaseC

LALALALALALALALALA! NOT LISTENING! *hands over ears*

Actually, I think I read somewhere that the Brazilian version is region-locked.

JaseC! Your wisdom is needed!

Anyway Gamefly + 20% code (assuming it works for FM2014) would be only a couple of pounds more.

I'm late to this, but, yeah, it's region-locked:

Code:
[URL="http://steamdb.info/sub/32089/"]onlyallowrunincountries	BR[/URL]

Still no Adventures of Tintin. sadsaoirse.gif

Still no King Kong, either. :( A month or two ago I dreamt that I coughed up $50+ for an Ubi publisher pack because it contained Tintin, which wasn't available individually.

JaseC's Saorise Ronan reaction gif #157.

What it they do upgrade? You got a gif for that too?

I've made one just for that unfortunate, dream-shattering occasion:

stupidfuckingcunt7kul6.gif

soo JaseC this gif maybe relative to your interests
ibv7BwIOrgIl2N.gif
:p <3
you know the source...?

It's from Violet & Daisy. I posted a smaller, slightly different variant of it the other day. ;)

In my defence, I also advocated Warner allowing vanilla keys to activate both the vanilla and GOTY versions!

Sober

They should be entitled to the products they have previously purchased. Just playing devil's advocate here as I own the GOTY versions.
In the end it sucks even if for me I'm one piece of DLC short of GOTY and I got it for free from a GFWL pricing error anyway. The lack of being able to buy DLC to get to the content you get in the GOTY edition is kinda stupid. Dunno how much of a headache it would be to provide proof of purchase of GFWL DLC and convert it to Steam (or if they are even allowing non-Steam copies to have their keys convert to Steam subs).

Grief.exe

In the end it sucks even if for me I'm one piece of DLC short of GOTY and I got it for free from a GFWL pricing error anyway. The lack of being able to buy DLC to get to the content you get in the GOTY edition is kinda stupid. Dunno how much of a headache it would be to provide proof of purchase of GFWL DLC and convert it to Steam (or if they are even allowing non-Steam copies to have their keys convert to Steam subs).

There is no way to provide proof, GFWL does not generate keys for DLC only for games.

That is why 2K just provided Minerva's Den to all Bioshock 2 owners.

JaseC

Code:
Order Number 	<snip>
Customer ID 	<snip>
Order Date 	10/17/2013 9:05:07 AM

85561 	Batman Arkham Asylum (PC)-Batman Arkham Asylum (PC) 	1 	$21.90 $21.90

I can feel tingles of excitement.

Edit: I have spent way too much money on retail keys this week. 007 Legends (~$38) + Arkham Asylum (~$22) + Football Manager 2011 Russian (oops; ~$14) + Football Manager 2012 Russian (~$14) = ~$88.

Echoplx

Code:
Order Number 	<snip>
Customer ID 	<snip>
Order Date 	10/17/2013 9:05:07 AM

85561 	Batman Arkham Asylum (PC)-Batman Arkham Asylum (PC) 	1 	$21.90 $21.90

I can feel tingles of excitement.

Edit: I have spent way too much money on retail keys this week.

Are you able to cancel that? I have a retail copy of the original still, you can have the key if you want.

Do I have to use the standard steam skin for family sharing to work? I'm in the beta and have it registered on my account but I can't find the option anyway. Using Metro 3.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom