• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What was the reason Anno 1404 got pulled again? Besides being a broken mess at the best of times. Still got it in my wishlist in hope it will one day return.

It's literally a case of "lazy devs": Anno 1404 had a bug in the save system that often caused saves to be generated incorrectly, rendering them useless, and while Ubi patched the Uplay and retail versions of the game, it never sent Valve a patch for the Steam flavour, so the game was eventually pulled from sale.

And please send me a sms when 2070 has that stupid drm removed.

Oh you! ;)

neoism

you get it for having all the dlc + base game ?? :O :O :O
itKN8xmmA0VSC.jpg

thought it wasn't happening... I started steam up and seen it for 7.75 and got mad lol

The_Monk

Does "GOTY" from Batman AA even have more content or is it just the name that is/was different? Some games have the option to check Downloadable Content when you right click it but I never had that option with AA (hope I'm not saying something silly).

Dolor

And so begins Ubisoft's journey along the road to finally fucking making store pages for Tintin and King Kong.

EA and Ubisoft will crumble before the power of Steam (or maybe SteamOS) by 2020. Calling it now.

...But hopefully much much sooner.

JaseC

Does "GOTY" from Batman AA even have more content or is it just the name that is/was different? Some games have the option to check Downloadable Content when you right click it but I never had that option with AA (hope I'm not saying something silly).

The GOTY version includes the DLC listed here. Said DLC was never offered through Steam even when Asylum vanilla was the only version available, so I'm hoping WB will bring it over (that said, my hope isn't high).

neoism

so guys can I use my Batman AA GFWL key in steam... anyone know a way of finding it lol... GFWL or the marketplace link doesnt work anymore... :/

Dr Dogg

I think it was 2 extra challenge maps. The console versions got 3D support but the PC version was already an Nvidia 3D Certified title. SP is untouched as far as my foggy memory serves.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
so guys can I use my Batman AA GFWL key in steam... anyone know a way of finding it lol... GFWL or the marketplace link does work anymore... :/

If you ever installed it, the key is probably in your Windows Registry.

If not, the only way to retrieve it was to look into the Games for Windows Live Client, afaik. Since that doesn't connect anymore (nowhere to connect to!), I believe you're screwed.

Which means I lost my Viva Piñata and Shadowrun key. :(

The_Monk

The GOTY version includes the DLC listed here. Said DLC was never offered through Steam even when Asylum vanilla was the only version available, so I'm hoping WB will bring it over (that said, my hope isn't high).

I think it was 2 extra challenge maps. The console versions got 3D support but the PC version was already an Nvidia 3D Certified title. SP is untouched as far as my foggy memory serves.

Thank you guys, my version was always the GOTY version by the way. At this point I just want to install the game and have a great time with a little achievement showing up here and there and nothing else required.

neoism

If not, the only way to retrieve it was to look into the Games for Windows Live Client, afaik. Since that doesn't connect anymore (nowhere to connect to!), I believe you're screwed.

I installed it and beat it.. over 2 years ago lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I installed it and beat it.. over 2 years ago lol

Did you reinstall windows?

if not, it's probably still there.

I reinstalled my windows, so I can't check, but search in

Batman: Arkham Asylum that can be found in the file structure:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Eidos Interactive Limited / Batman: Arkham Asylum
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / RocksteadyLtd / Batman Arkham Asylum
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{4E79A60F-15D2-4BEC-91AD-E41EC42E61B0}

Khronico

It really is amazing how spectacularly GFWL failed as a platform. I haven't heard one person speak positively about it since it was first out.

Dr Dogg

Huh? Really? Client still connects and lets me view my keys. And that's on a machine I've never installed any of my GFWL stuff.

Edit: B 10

JaseC

It really is amazing how spectacularly GFWL failed as a platform. I haven't heard one person speak positively about it since it was first out.

Brain_stew tried to improve things, allegedly. I'm sure his situation was mod-verified but given the thread was quickly abandoned (save for the odd bump by nobody involved) and -- more to the point -- nothing ever came of the suggestions, I doubt he was actually in the favourable position he seemingly believed himself to be.

neoism

Did you reinstall windows?

if not, it's probably still there.

I reinstalled my windows, so I can't check, but search in

Batman: Arkham Asylum that can be found in the file structure:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Eidos Interactive Limited / Batman: Arkham Asylum
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / RocksteadyLtd / Batman Arkham Asylum
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{4E79A60F-15D2-4BEC-91AD-E41EC42E61B0}

well I looked for what you listed and no dice didn't find anything.. I did reinstall windows but I did the upgrade option without erasing anything... I still have my save folder for Batman: Arkham Asylum you think it would be in BmGame folder.. only the Binaries folder is empty..

I know a lot of people are skeptical about Microsoft's motivations towards PC gaming, and I'd count myself among them but there does appear to be a change of direction going on at Redmond atm and there's definitely some guys at the company that do see the value in offering PC gaming more than token support. I'm confident the announcements at Gamescon are just the start but we'll wait and see, in the meantime make use of the fact that people are willing to listen at this moment in time

Damn.

But yeah, there were lots of people willing to champion the service despite compelling arguments about why it would be a bad idea :|

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thank you for submitting the requested documentation to prove your foreign residence. We have successfully verified this information, and the U.S. Internal Revenue Service now allows us to remove the 200 transaction limit restriction on your account.

You may now use the Community Market again. You will not have a limit on the number of sales you can make per year.

BOOSH!

We had one or two fans but I forgot their names. Seriously, they exist(ed).

BrainStew!

Seriously tho he was a really good poster and PC advocate. He kind of stuck his neck out for MS on their umpteenth re-release of GFWL, and like many developers and publishers, MS left him hung out to dry.

Brain_stew tried to improve things, allegedly. I'm sure his situation was mod-verified but given the thread was quickly abandoned (save for the odd bump by nobody involved) and -- more to the point -- nothing ever came of the suggestions, I doubt he was actually in the favourable position he seemingly believed himself to be.

I'm sure the GFWL team meant well.

The problem for GFWL was twofold. Shitty software design was bad enough. But a mod here once pinpointed the real problem for GFWL and that was the internal competitive atmosphere at MS. There are divisions inside of MS with far more influence than the GFWL team ever had who's jobs depend on the success of the xbox console. For them PC gaming is a competitor just as much as Sony and Nintendo. GFWL never stood a chance no matter what happened with the software.

maneil99

So I am suppose to do a big Arkham City Giveaway but I sent two keys to my friend and neither works, is it still not up yet?

JaseC

I'm sure the GFWL team meant well.

The problem for GFWL was twofold. Shitty software design was bad enough. But a mod here once pinpointed the real problem for GFWL and that was the internal competitive atmosphere at MS. There are divisions inside of MS with far more influence than the GFWL team ever had who's jobs depend on the success of the xbox console. For them PC gaming is a competitor just as much as Sony and Nintendo. GFWL never stood a chance no matter what happened with the software.

Yeah, Microsoft's "Left hand wants this; right hand wants that" culture doomed GFWL from the start. How was the MS of Windows supposed to convince PC gamers that GFWL was the way forward when the MS of the Xbox was far more interested in console exclusivity?

JaseC

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Oh, wow. I forgot about that thread.

Whatever happened to Brain_Stew anyway? He was annoying as hell in PC vs Console threads but wasn't as bad as some of the "PC defense force" at the time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
We didn't verify whatever connection he purported to have with Microsoft and whoever he thought he had the ear of. I had and still do have an extraordinarily low opinion of the kind of transparently pitiful bargaining behaviour ("we aren't so bad! we promise we'll listen!") exhibited in that thread whether or not it was by Microsoft or the poster himself. The time for talk ended years before that point.

JaseC

Oh, wow. I forgot about that thread.

Whatever happened to Brain_Stew anyway? He was annoying as hell in PC vs Console threads but wasn't as bad as some of the "PC defense force" at the time.

He still lurks and, on the odd occasion, posts.

We didn't verify whatever connection he purported to have with Microsoft and whoever he thought he had the ear of. I had and still do have an extraordinarily low opinion of the kind of transparently pitiful bargaining behaviour ("we aren't so bad! we promise we'll listen!") exhibited in that thread whether or not it was by Microsoft or the poster himself. The time for talk ended years before that point.

Ah, right. I'd assumed that the more stringent rules regarding purported industry connections had longer tails as it's certainly something you folks take seriously these days.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
well I looked for what you listed and no dice didn't find anything.. I did reinstall windows but I did the upgrade option without erasing anything... I still have my save folder for Batman: Arkham Asylum you think it would be in BmGame folder.. only the Binaries folder is empty..

If you want, I'll login to your account and get your CD-keys for you. No scam or anything. Provided it'll let me login and download your marketplace downloads. I can open the app and login to the "Marketplace" and click the downloads tabs just.

r3n4ud

Can you guys explain a little more about the story behind Brain Stew?
I was just commenting on the fact that he tried reviving gfwl when no amount of saving was worthwhile. As Jase said, the service was a failure from the getgo since Microsoft seen the PC scene as competition.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FWIW, GFWL client/marketplace is down for me as well. Same error on startup--Connection error: Can't start the program.

Ah, right. I'd assumed that the more stringent rules regarding purported industry connections had longer tails as it's certainly something you folks take seriously these days.

The nature of the thread would have played into it as well. We're going to be way more critical of someone purporting to be connected if they actively go around bragging about it, redirecting attention to themselves, exaggerating the things that they know, etc than we would be of someone just making one sort of off-handed thread like that.

maneil99

Valve still hasn't gotten around to that yet. I'm not sure how much longer I can stay up.

Do you need a key?

Also who here doesn't have DE:HR. I have two keys that I am pretty sure I already used but I'm not 100% sure. Wanna send them to someone who can let me know if it works

The_Monk

Do you need a key?

Also who here doesn't have DE:HR. I have two keys that I am pretty sure I already used but I'm not 100% sure. Wanna send them to someone who can let me know if it works

I don't have it fellow GAFfer but I'm not asking for DE:HR, however, I can try it unless the moment you insert the key, the game is instantly redeemed. If that is the case then, disregard my comment.

Also, does the Batman AC keys will work on Steam?

catabarez

I don't have it fellow GAFfer but I'm not asking for DE:HR, however, I can try it unless the moment you insert the key, the game is instantly redeemed. If that is the case then, disregard my comment.

Also, does the Batman AC keys will work on Steam?

GFWL keys don't work on Steam yet.

Edit: I'd be down for a key :p Need to get that Vanilla AA for the collection. I have the sickness.

JaseC

The nature of the thread would have played into it as well. We're going to be way more critical of someone purporting to be connected if they actively go around bragging about it, redirecting attention to themselves, exaggerating the things that they know, etc than we would be of someone just making one sort of off-handed thread like that.

Fair point.

Do you need a key?

I have a key, but thanks for the offer. I'm just waiting around to use it. ;)

Edit: Err, sorry, where were my manners!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't have it fellow GAFfer but I'm not asking for DE:HR, however, I can try it unless the moment you insert the key, the game is instantly redeemed. If that is the case then, disregard my comment?
That's how it works. It will activate right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom