• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acccent

I wonder how much branding has to do with platforms other Steam's lack of success. For instance, even though it's not totally comparable, I wonder if GOG would be so liked if the connection with CDProjekt was made more clear.

Ah right, thanks.

Didn't know it was going to give two unique sets of keys for each title.

Pleasure; it was a surprise to me too :).

So ... Clutch.

Does this game have any redeeming features? I have a weakness for car combat and carmageddon so I might just drop two fiddy on it.

I might be buying this bundle tomorrow and have no interest in that particular game so if you haven't bought the bundle already you would be welcome to the key for Clutch. I was going to ModBot it anyway.

The vernal equinox!

I forgot to contribute to your PC, let me check if that is still up.

You still have 15 days for great justice!

No really guys Galactic Civilizations 2 is really good.

Hmm I could have sworn I owned the non goty editions of batman. Guess I didn't. Oh well.

Hm, you make a compelling case sah!

However, Enhanced Steam tells me:

Warning: This title uses 3rd party DRM (Stardock Account Required)

so I did a quick Google and it seems some people have issues with getting their Stardock account and Steam game to play nice with each other.

Assuming that can be rectified, how does it affect the Steam release in practicality? Once the account is linked to the the Steam release can I just sign into Steam and play or do I have to also sign into the Stardock Account as I just experienced with Arkham Asylum and GFWL [great timing on my part! :/] Anything else I need to know?

maneil99

I don't have it fellow GAFfer but I'm not asking for DE:HR, however, I can try it unless the moment you insert the key, the game is instantly redeemed. If that is the case then, disregard my comment.

Also, does the Batman AC keys will work on Steam?

I don't have any intention on using these keys for myself so you can try them. Sending them now

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OK fixed my GFWL marketplace issue.

1. Uninstall Microsoft Windows Games for Windows Live Marketplace
(ba dum tisk!)
2. Go here, redownload and reinstall
3. When it launches instead of getting the connection error, I got a login prompt.
4. Put my email in the username
5. Went to account.live.com, signed in, clicked "Security Info" (2nd-to-last choice on the left hand menu)
6. Clicked "Create a new app password". Used this password to log in.

The reason you need to do this is:
1) If you have two-factor auth turned on, GFWL does not support it.
2) If you have a password with unusual symbols or a high length, GFWL does not support it.

Now I can get all my Game Keys! Like the copy of AoE3 I bought for 10 cents, the copy of Viva Pinata I bought for a dollar, or the two F2P games I downloaded.

neoism

If you want, I'll login to your account and get your CD-keys for you. No scam or anything. Provided it'll let me login and download your marketplace downloads. I can open the app and login to the "Marketplace" and click the downloads tabs just.

thanks anyway but I found the GFWL folder lol this shit is like a virus... I ran as administrator and it somehow logged on and I copied the cd key.. but its fucking invalid when I put it in steam...
its under LIVE access code

-_-

Salsa

can someone explain what you guys are doing

am I gonna get extra steam keys or something

I cant pokemon and steam thread all at once

BadAss2961

Just checked this thread.... Am I seeing right? Are GFWL keys going to be redeemable on Steam, and activate the Steam versions of those games?

Arkham Asylum is the one game I bought on GFWL, and i'd love to have the Steam version. Steam always deletes my non-Steam game addon for it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just checked this thread.... Am I seeing right? Are GFWL keys going to be redeemable on Steam, and activate the Steam versions of those games?

As a general rule, no they will not. However, as some games are getting their GFWL DRM removed, they are allowing external key redemptions. This includes BioShock 2, Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City. People are having mixed results with key redemptions of the latter two right now but they should work in the future.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

(ba dum tisk!)
3. When it launches instead of getting the connection error, I got a login prompt.
5. Went to account.live.com, signed in, clicked "Security Info" (2nd-to-last choice on the left hand menu)

2) If you have a password with unusual symbols or a high length, GFWL does not support it.

Now I can get all my Game Keys! Like the copy of AoE3 I bought for 10 cents, the copy of Viva Pinata I bought for a dollar, or the two F2P games I downloaded.

Thanks Stum, that's probably the problem I'm having as well. I'm just watching a Live Stream and didn't bother to research it yet. I'll do it later.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(ba dum tisk!)

I'm hoping MS will bring over Viva and Gears (the latter for which I still have my case and receipt). In the past it was just wishful thinking but the recent activity on the Flight Sim X app gives me a pinch of hope -- I assume MS is in the process of releasing it on Steam to atone for pulling MS Flight out of the blue.

can someone explain what you guys are doing

am I gonna get extra steam keys or something

I cant pokemon and steam thread all at once

Waiting to activate our Batman keys. In the meantime, here's Saoirse Ronan playing Pie Tennis.

BadAss2961

As a general rule, no they will not. However, as some games are getting their GFWL DRM removed, they are allowing external key redemptions. This includes BioShock 2, Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City. People are having mixed results with key redemptions of the latter two right now but they should work in the future.
I should be good then.

Anyone get AA to work yet?

The_Monk

Now I only need them to let me redeem my physical Age of Empires III copy.

Now go to play more Coke, Serve, Delicious! :p

"I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" is on Steam now. Badass.

Just makes me wonder again why I can't easily buy the space quest games....

But it is a welcome addition. I don't know what the path is, but if it leads to Darkseed, DOTT and the real Sam and Max we are getting somewhere with steam.

Dr Dogg

I'm hoping MS will bring over Viva and Gears (the latter for which I still have my case and receipt). In the past it was just wishful thinking but the recent activity on the Flight Sim X app gives me a pinch of hope -- I assume MS is in the process of releasing it on Steam to atone for pulling MS Flight out of the blue.

Doesn't Gears use TrueSkill for match making for ranked games? Saying that the last time I fired up the PC version online was dead bar 3 or 4 lobbies with 1 person in each when the game wont start unless there's a min of 6. Got the feeling that might be a bit more work to justify the cost of retooling it.

Still in a fit of paranoia I grabbed my Gears and Halo 2 keys in hope they get Steamified at a later date. Boy did I have some shit in GFWL.

JaseC

IHNMAIMS released on GOG just last month. I wonder if CDPR is beginning to relax its exclusivity period?

Doesn't Gears use TrueSkill for match making for ranked games? Saying that the last time I fired up the PC version online was dead bar 3 or 4 lobbies with 1 person in each when the game wont start unless there's a min of 6. Got the feeling that might be a bit more work to justify the cost of retooling it.

Still in a fit of paranoia I grabbed my Gears and Halo 2 keys in hope they get Steamified at a later date. Boy did I have some shit in GFWL.

No idea. I bought the game when it released but never touched it again after co-op'ing the campaign with a LAN mate via Hamachi.

Hm, you make a compelling case sah!

However, Enhanced Steam tells me:

so I did a quick Google and it seems some people have issues with getting their Stardock account and Steam game to play nice with each other.

You only need the account to update and 1. that's through steam now and 2. there will be no more updates for it. You can type in eatmyass@ass.com as your email and it will let you in. It's not required.

neoism

info link or something lol I thought Valve was just being lazy and haven't made them work yet... so that key is useless..?? I honestly don't even want to play AA I beat it twice and had my time with it just wanted it on my steam account...
Waiting to activate our Batman keys. In the meantime, here's Saoirse Ronan playing Pie Tennis.
<3

MRORANGE

Epic will most likely use keys to register gears of war, considering they done it before with unreal 3.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am so happy devs are removing gfwl and keeping their old games around. Really happy Capcom and WB are stepping up. Now Bethesda needs to get Fallout 3 working.

JaseC

I am so happy devs are removing gfwl and keeping their old games around. Really happy Capcom and WB are stepping up. Now Bethesda needs to get Fallout 3 working.

I hope Acti removes GFWL from Quantum of Solace and makes the keys retroactively Steam-friendly. (A stupidly long shot, sure, but it's a nice thought.)

It really is amazing how spectacularly GFWL failed as a platform. I haven't heard one person speak positively about it since it was first out.

Back when it first came out one of GFWLs engineers used to frequent some forums I went to back. Really nice guy, didn't really seem that biased and just wanted to talk about games but whenever GFWL came up, I had to clarify that I didn't think it was shit because his team did a bad job, it was shit because Microsoft had no interest in pushing it (it was a very, very distant second priority after Xbox) or clue how to run it.

Microsoft clearly thought that it would be an instant hit simply because it was from Microsoft and they were 100% wrong. They and a few stupid publishers were the only ones that couldn't see the inevitable failure coming the minute it was announced.

Dr Dogg

I hope Acti removes GFWL from Quantum of Solace and makes the keys retroactively Steam-friendly. (A stupidly long shot, sure, but it's a nice thought.)

I'm surprised you haven't been trawling the gifting/trading sites to see if someone doesn't have a copy in there inventory. Since Activision doesn't have the Bond license any more that's a very, very long shot.

I managed to find someone with a giftable copy of Ghostbusters of some suspect/dodgy corner of the interwebs. Granted they wanted an unreasonable trade but there is stuff out there to be found.

Hahahaha what am I saying of course you've looked.

JaseC

Hahahaha what am I saying of course you've looked.

tumblr_mprr0pHvXS1qe8quqo1_250.gif

BadAss2961

So it took me 3 or 4 tries to get into Live Marketplace. I was getting the same error some of you were mentioning before, but it eventually worked. Maybe the servers are just busy.

Anyway, I was able to find my "Live Access Code," which is coming up invalid on Steam at the moment. Guess i'll just try again later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom