• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's easy to say that when you're not waiting 6 months for a patch to go through certification. Fuck. Now I'm mad all over again.

You mean SSF4? That was a fuck-up and partially MS's screw ups. But the system itself outside of MS's bullshit? Was totally fine with me. I don't mind the concept of "console-like" experiences. I mean, shit, that's what Valve/Steam is half-aiming for. The issue was fully in MS's court in handling and the DRM/Save fiasco.

And then you have Steam die-hards that won't give other platforms a chance to attempt to find their "voice" and footing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
games
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Thomas Was Alone -- MB-90EA7D3EEB3FFA44 - Taken by FauX. 6 entrants total.
McPixel -- MB-8BAD246C7CDD8D79 - Taken by Cuban Legend. 4 entrants total.

t1382081367z1.png

Play Thomas Was Alone. Tis very good.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You mean SSF4? That was a fuck-up and partially MS's screw ups. But the system itself outside of MS's bullshit? Was totally fine with me. I don't mind the concept of "console-like" experiences. I mean, shit, that's what Valve/Steam is half-aiming for. The issue was fully in MS's court in handling and the DRM/Save fiasco.

And then you have Steam die-hards that won't give other platforms a chance to attempt to find their "voice" and footing.

Except for everything that's wrong with it, GFWL is pretty good.

morningbus

i actually really like gfwl for matchmaking. don't have to deal with steamwork's download region bullshit.

Man, it was great when GFWL refused to let me connect to my friend two states over while playing Resident Evil 5.

Or that time when my group of friends couldn't play Iron Brigade together because one of them made the mistake of being three states away? Classic.

Nabs

The system outside of MS's bullshit? What's left? Achievements? That console-like experience is me waiting 3 months for Rocksteady to fix their save file bullshit, or Codemasters to fit a bunch of small patches in one of their two free patches. I had to wait 7 months for Capcom to finally patch in the character DLC for SFxT.

I had no problem with AE, I thought that launch went pretty smooth. It's every other launch that pisses me off.

Exuro

So my brother can't access my games today for some reason. He's getting something along the lines of

"This game belongs to steam user Exuro.
Would you like to request access to this game on this device?"

Anyone know what's up? His machine is authorized and was working fine yesterday and I can access his games.

Heads up for anyone who's not in the family sharing beta, but wanted to check it out.. you might want to double check your transaction log.

I never got an email (nothing in my spam folders either) about being in beta sharing but I was mucking around in account transactions and saw I was granted a complimentary "Game Library Sharing Access Comp" in the transaction log

I went into settings->account and everything works perfectly. Able to share games.

Some instructions on how to check and grant access if you don't have the email

Tesseract

Banned
Man, it was great when GFWL refused to let me connect to my friend two states over while playing Resident Evil 5.

sure your ports and all that were good? never had that problem, but i can see why that'd turn you off the service. i guess i'm more interested in the bigger picture. steamworks matchmaking in many cases gives you completely different sets of lobbies depending on what download region you choose. it'll be a huge bummer if ultra sfiv is gimped because of this, like mk9 is now.

morningbus

sure your ports and all that were good? never had that problem, but i can see why that'd turn you off the service. i guess i'm more interested in the bigger picture. steamworks matchmaking in many cases gives you completely different sets of lobbies depending on what download region you choose. it'll be a huge bummer if ultra sfiv is gimped because of this, like mk9 is now.

That appears to be something the developer chooses to implement as I've had Steamworks matchmaking pair me with Russians in Black OPs 2.

This is from an AOE 2 developer on the Steam forums when someone complained of the same problem you've had:

We'll be pushing an update to the game with a number of things, including allowing users to search not restricted to regions. By default the steam matchmaking system presents only a list of games in your region (for better game performance). There isn't any region lock (you can invite users from around the globe), but we do recognize that users prefer to be able to get lists region independant

Especially with fighting games, it's probably something the developers are intentionally doing because playing against someone 1,000s of miles of way is usually hell.

Skullgirls allows you to choose your region, too. So if it isn't their for the Street Fighter update, it's Capcom's fault and not Steam's.

I keep hoping the DLC for Thomas Was Alone will be released on PC soon, but so far no luck. It seems like it's been a long time since the creator said anything about it.

Tesseract

Banned
That appears to be something the developer chooses to implement as I've had Steamworks matchmaking pair me with Russians in Black OPs 2.

This is from an AOE 2 developer on the Steam forums when someone complained of the same problem you've had:

Especially with fighting games, it's probably something the developers are intentionally doing because playing against someone 1,000s of miles of way is usually hell.

Skullgirls allows you to choose your region, too. So if it isn't their for the Street Fighter update, it's Capcom's fault and not Steam's.

weird, all evidence i gathered pointed in the other direction. thanks for setting me right.

*edit*

i think we can both agree the default system should be inverted; better to start with all regions unlocked than not.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So how big was the Akham City update to remove GFWL? I didn't see how big it was and turned off the PC.

If you had regular edition, you just got the GOTY for free - so the entire game (7 gigs for AA, 12 for AC) - there wasn't an actual patch for the regular versions.

If you have the GOTY edition, I don't know.

What's going on with the steam Metro download page? Updated to 3.2 and this issue remains. Only been there a few days

Anyone else getting similar formatting issues? Can't see all the information that one should be able to.

Vibranium

Banned
I guess I'm going to wait for the Steam Christmas sale to pick up Batman AA and AC. I'm hoping they get bundled together again, even if they don't they will get price cuts though.

Tellaerin

Yanno, I asked this earlier in the day, but no one replied. I'm not sure if the post was just lost in the shuffle, but if no one answers this time, I'll take the hint and STFU. :p

Anyway, to quote myself:

Are the Penny Arcade games worth it for someone who's not a particularly huge PA fan?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yanno, I asked this earlier in the day, but no one replied. I'm not sure if the post was just lost in the shuffle, but if no one answers this time, I'll take the hint and STFU. :p

Anyway, to quote myself:

They are funny JRPGs-like. Do you like JRPGS? if so, then yes.

Soule

Anyway, to quote myself:

I was a pretty big fan of PA when I got the first 2, couldn't really get into the games. They were like JRPGs and I haven't been able to get into a good JRPG for quite a while besides Persona and Pokemon so that didn't help but it was at least kinda funny from what I played.

Tellaerin

Thanks, guys. I like JRPG's, yes. : ) I wasn't sure if the games stood well on their own, or if you had to be a big fan of the comic to understand or enjoy them. Sounds like it might be worth dropping $1 on the current bundle to see what I think, but not going in for $6.

Anyway, to quote myself:

The first two kind of suck and only have value for big PA fans.

3 and 4 are much better if you only have jrpg nostalgia to work with (they are completely different). Being a PA fan as well makes them pretty decent.

Aaron

Thanks, guys. I like JRPG's, yes. : ) I wasn't sure if the games stood well on their own, or if you had to be a big fan of the comic to understand or enjoy them. Sounds like it might be worth dropping $1 on the current bundle to see what I think, but not going in for $6.
You don't have to know the comic to play the games. Tycho and Gabe take on different personas in the game series than they have in the comics. You'll only miss minor references. You can always upgrade the bundle later if you end up liking the first game.

What's going on with the steam Metro download page? Updated to 3.2 and this issue remains. Only been there a few days

Anyone else getting similar formatting issues? Can't see all the information that one should be able to.
I have that issue as well as this one in grid view:
KPeckJb.png

I was actually a huge fan of the way the DL page worked in 3.1.1, so the new way, even if it is messed up right now, is really disappointing.

Late Edit: Uninstalled games in grid view are also no longer greyed out in 3.2. Definitely sticking with 3.1.1 then.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So GFWL was patched out from the regular and GOTY versions of the Batman games?

If you had the GOTY version of either game, GFWL got patched out.

If you had the Regular version of either game, you got GOTY for free (which doesn't have GFWL).

This has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, including this very page.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Reposting this even though it's mentioned in the OP:
If any of y'all Steam GAFfers get locked out of your accounts as a result of vBulletin's sucktacular password reset requirements or GAF's strict email requirements, please contact me to get everything fixed.

You can reach me at:
@Stumpokapow on Twitter / stumpokapow @ google's mail service / stumpokapow on Steam.
:)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, just the GOTY.

It's worth noting that, as per the announcement, GFWL will be patched out of the vanilla versions also:

Dear Batman Arkham Fans - Microsoft has begun the process of closing down Windows Live services over the next year. To make sure there is no interrupted service, we will be moving the game to Steam for verification and update services for both the Base and GOTY versions of Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City.

Edit: My guess is that the vanilla versions will get their patch tomorrow and this will coincide with the keys being made Steam-friendly.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's worth noting that, as per the announcement, GFWL will be patched out of the vanilla versions also:

Sure, they say it will be patched, but since they gave the GOTY to everybody and the Regular Versions are no longer available on Steam for sale, and redeeming the regular versions will probably just give you both the regular and GOTY, I don't see why would they bother.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sure, they say it will be patched, but since they gave the GOTY to everybody and the Regular Versions are no longer available on Steam for sale, and redeeming the regular versions will probably just give you both the regular and GOTY, I don't see why would they bother.

Well, the matter of the vanilla versions receiving the same treatment as the GOTY flavours is trivial as despite being separate apps on Steam they're the same game, so there's nothing to lose by being thorough.

If you had regular edition, you just got the GOTY for free - so the entire game (7 gigs for AA, 12 for AC) - there wasn't an actual patch for the regular versions.

If you have the GOTY edition, I don't know.

Only AA GOTY patched itself and it was about 19mb.

for AC GOTY you get the entire game to redownload D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom