• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cowboy

Aww yeah, Pac-Man DX+ ordered for just over £4.00 (gotta love GMG referrals) - can't wait to get my Pac-Man on!!!!.

Completely forgot this was coming in a few days.

Your sentence structure didn't make sense then. You were generalizing about all skins, otherwise you wouldn't have used the wording 'for the most part' and wouldn't have used that as a preface for the thing you then meant to talk about. Seeing as Valve made, aesthetic skins are being used as incentive to fund community content creators, this is a much more sustainable and friendly model than TF2.

Community map creators getting something in return is excellent, but I feel that it is turning into a crutch for this game. Would it hurt for Valve proper to give half a shit and roll out some new free maps for competitive play developed in house?

I love counter strike in general, and have played hundreds of hours of Go, and I dislike the pay for weapons in general but I got addicted to them, because they do look good and it's a fun system.

I think I may quit this game now, because I do want these new skins and maps, but it keeps trying to nickle and dime me now. I don't go there with video games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Community map creators getting something in return is excellent, but I feel that it is turning into a crutch for this game. Would it hurt for Valve proper to give half a shit and roll out some new free maps for competitive play developed in house?

I love counter strike in general, and have played hundreds of hours of Go, and I dislike the pay for weapons in general but I got addicted to them, because they do look good and it's a fun system.

I think I may quit this game now, because I do want these new skins and maps, but it keeps trying to nickle and dime me now. I don't go there with video games.

You don't need to pay anything to play the community maps.

Is the new Humble Weekly Bundle worth it? I haven't played any of those games.

X3 reunion is more than worth the dollar. Just be aware it is almost certain you'll give up trying to work it out.

Think of it as donating towards the development of rebirth, which is hopefully a quality and accessible game.

.... why did they change that from the first pass? I thought the whole point of competitive is that the maps are "balanced."

Well perhaps they are, for the low price of 6 bucks you TOO can experience these maps. In addition to that friend you will get access to all the new gun skin drops. Intro video ads included.

X3 reunion is more than worth the dollar. Just be aware it is almost certain you'll give up trying to work it out.

Think of it as donating towards the development of rebirth, which is hopefully a quality and accessible game.

Ok, thanks. I think I'll pay a buck for the base games.

Couldn't agree more rebirth will be my first day one buy in I don't know how long. Spent so many hours trying to figure out all the systems in x3 and eventually gave up.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Huge surprise for any of us that have Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures on preorder: The game isn't releasing on the 23rd anymore.

It's releasing tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/AVGNGame/posts/564369820298778
Oh shit, that's great news! I'm still going to keep playing Tomb Raider until I finish it (really good game so far), and I should go back to Castlevania afterwards, of which I played only one hour. But maybe I can squeeze some AVGN Adventures inbetween those two.

Personally it seems a bit drastic to stop playing a game you really like because of weapon skins. They're just skins afterall, they don't mean anything. I can live without a puke green MP7 or "monotone brown FPS -- the weapon skin set".

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Aww yeah, Pac-Man DX+ ordered for just over £4.00 (gotta love GMG referrals) - can't wait to get my Pac-Man on!!!!.

Completely forgot this was coming in a few days.
Welp, this post made me preorder it too. $8 (with the 20% off voucher) sounds like a nice price for it.

Personally it seems a bit drastic to stop playing a game you really like because of weapon skins. They're just skins afterall, they don't mean anything. I can live without a puke green MP7 or "monotone brown FPS -- the weapon skin set".

Well, they just launched after all, and if they are already doing things like this on the first expansion of the skins then I see that as an excellent sign of things to come. Instead of just expanding the weapon skin pool, they moved it to another exclusive pool. It makes sense to conglomerate these two incentives from a business point of view, and being someone who plays like 3 competitive matches a day I feel really pressured into buying it due to the maps. Thanks for letting me rant a tad.

As for the skins, the game needs them to spice it up, and you absolutely desire the nicer ones after a while...

Bluth54

I'm kind of salty against Valve locking new weapon skins, for the most part, behind a paywall. The next community map token is basically required in order to get the new weapon skin drops.

http://blog.counter-strike.net/operationbravo/

I hate this new f2p premium flavor of Valve.

So does Valve use the money from the Community Map tokens to buy the maps from the map makers and add them officially to the game or is it just to have them on the official servers for awhile? If they are using the money to buy the maps that's kind of stupid.

Well, they just launched after all, and if they are already doing things like this on the first expansion of the skins then I see that as an excellent sign of things to come. Instead of just expanding the weapon skin pool, they moved it to another exclusive pool. It makes sense to conglomerate these two incentives from a business point of view, and being someone who plays like 3 competitive matches a day I feel really pressured into buying it due to the maps. Thanks for letting me rant a tad.

As for the skins, the game needs them to spice it up, and you absolutely desire the nicer ones after a while...
CS was fine without skins for over a decade and GO was fine without them prior to the change. I can understand the psychology behind wanting newer and prettier (and I'm not saying I don't get struck with a sudden need to fall into Valve's various schemes that prey on this), but really when you take a step back and look at it it's best to just not let it bother you.

The map situation does kind of suck though. The game isn't F2P, the passes grant you a limited timeframe to play the maps in matchmaking, then get relegated to community server gutters afterwards. It's not a very appealing map pack approach, especially given that CS:GO is their only game that does something to this effect.

Jawmuncher

CS was fine without skins for over a decade and GO was fine without them prior to the change. I can understand the psychology behind wanting newer and prettier (and I'm not saying I don't get struck with a sudden need to fall into Valve's various schemes that prey on this), but really when you take a step back and look at it it's best to just not let it bother you.

The map situation does kind of suck though. The game isn't F2P, the passes grant you a limited timeframe to play the maps in matchmaking, then get relegated to community server gutters afterwards. It's not a very appealing map pack approach, especially given that CS:GO is their only game that does something to this effect.

I agree about the passes.
If anything they should just make passes free for everyone in rotation and matchmaking.
Then to support the community the key skins and coins going. Pass if anything should just be a unqiue skin and coin to you that after a certain time will never be available again.

Can you still just apply your own skins? Sure other people can't see them, but I remember rocking a golden deagle for a long time in CS:S.

Grief.exe

So does Valve use the money from the Community Map tokens to buy the maps from the map makers and add them officially to the game or is it just to have them on the official servers for awhile? If they are using the money to buy the maps that's kind of stupid.

Valve just kicks back some money towards the creators.
Technically, the creators cant sell the maps outright since they were created with Valve's tech.

This also made me think of Alan Wake. I was also just reading the Steam page for Cognition (is it good?) which seems to have a similar detective protagonist with supernatural power thing going.

I haven't played that one, sounds interesting.

Veezy

que?
I'm an original gangsta, he's the remix.

Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg
Bastion ; -- MB-BACDBF176A1016BB
FEZ ; -- MB-010CAF6ABD457F80 - Taken by Dice. 13 entrants total.
Brutal Legend -- MB-E36CACBA757A1BA3 - Taken by maneil99. 3 entrants total.
Duke and Shadow ] -- MB-456A837CEC350EE7 - Taken by MikeDip. 14 entrants total.
FTL -- MB-941FF44C5714D7C8 - Taken by Declarius. 1 entrants total.
Limbo -- MB-576BB84AA6A319A8 - Taken by Mugatu. 2 entrants total.

http://secondapps.com/countdown/t1379663149z1.png

I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/ap...er_292x136.jpg
FEZ ; -- MB-010CAF6ABD457F80
Brutal Legend -- MB-E36CACBA757A1BA3
Duke and Shadow ] -- MB-456A837CEC350EE7
FTL -- MB-941FF44C5714D7C8
Limbo -- MB-576BB84AA6A319A8

Thanks for the giveaway man, hoping for Duke.

Bluth54

Valve just kicks back some money towards the creators.
Technically, the creators cant sell the maps outright since they were created with Valve's tech.
That is incorrect, they can sell the maps to Valve. Almost half of the official Team Fortress 2 maps were created by people in the community using Hammer and Valve bought the rights to the maps. From what I've read Valve typically pays several thousand dollars for the TF2 maps they buy and make official.

Hu-- just hard crashed right after a spy sapped my Sentry, and his name was CrashMcComputer (subtly changed to keep his identity private) I wonder if it was hax.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Brutal Legend -- MB-E36CACBA757A1BA3
FTL -- MB-941FF44C5714D7C8
Limbo -- MB-576BB84AA6A319A8

Grief.exe

That is incorrect, they can sell the maps to Valve. Almost half of the official Team Fortress 2 maps were created by people in the community using Hammer and Valve bought the rights to the maps. From what I've read Valve typically pays several thousand dollars for the TF2 maps they buy and make official.

To my knowledge they did the same thing with TF2. Charge for cards, then kickback that profit to the map makers.

I could be mistaken though.

Bluth54

To my knowledge they did the same thing with TF2. Charge for cards, then kickback that profit to the map makers.

I could be mistaken though.

TF2 does have map stamps you can buy, which is basically just donating money to a map creator (you do get a hat and with a map particle effect when you buy one). Valve was buying maps long before the in game TF2 store even existed (and they continue to buy maps, the summer update had 2 community maps they bought and added officially to the game). The money from map stamps are just extra for the map makers on top of what Valve pays for the maps.

If Valve buys a map and it includes any art assets like that weren't created by Valve they also have to buy those as well from their creators.

For example the map Mountain Lab included a lot of art assets from the community created Swamp Theme pack and Valve just bought the rights to the entire swamp theme pack from the people that made them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yep, stamps not cards. Jase always has the link.

My memory in general isn't the best, but it's eidetic when it comes to Valve and Saoirse-related stuff. :p

I did, but he asked to quote his post or something which I never had to do before.

Veezy just copied the PM incorrectly, that's all -- the "quote this message" instruction is intended for the giveaway creator, not entrants.

Veezy just copied the PM incorrectly, that's all -- the "quote this message" instruction is intended for the giveaway creator, not entrants.

Man, I have no idea how I ever got to 300 posts on GAF by being this stupid.

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (long ass name) is surprisingly good. I haven't noticed any rubberbanding, although that might just be because I don't play racers that much. The pickups are unique, the tracks are fun, and the game looks and runs great on PC. Definitely worth the 5 dollars in card and CS:GO case money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom