• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

My memory in general isn't the best, but it's eidetic when it comes to Valve and Saoirse-related stuff. :p

Except as I posted that isn't what Valve does to buy maps, the map stamps and strange filters are just a way for TF2 players to donate money directly to community map makers. I'm pretty sure Valve added those to the store because people making weapons and hats were making a lot more money then map makers and Valve wanted to let people give some extra money to map makers.

For example there is an interview with Robin Walker where he explains the process. The site the interview was on is down now, but someone on a Gamefaqs post copy and pasted it a long time ago:

eXtine: There was some discussion about potentially compensating L4d mapmakers whose custom campaigns are of high enough quality to be released as DLC for Xbox Live. What is the relation between Valve and community mapmakers in regards to TF2 and what happens behind the scenes when a map becomes official?

Robin: Right now we simply purchase the map & the associated sources from the folks behind it. It's pretty straightforward.

Also here on the TF2maps.net forum the creator of 2 community maps added in the July update talks a bit about the process:
If Valve knew what they were looking to purchase from mappers, then we wouldn't really be surprised or excited by anything that a mapper made.

He confirms in that post that Valve purchases maps.

Below he lists the process that Valve goes through when buying maps:
P.S. For those wondering, here is a summary of the emails between me and Valve. None of this is word for word, just a quick boiling down of how the map went from my hard drive to Valve.

V: Yo, we would like to acquire process and standin.
Me: Cool! Here is a list of everyone involved!
V: Is this your current address?
Me: Yes.
V: Okay, here is a contract, please sign and scan back a copy to me. Also, we will need any vmf's and textures associated with the map.
Me: Hey, do you have a timeline? I would like to make some changes to the maps before they are put in the game. Would that be okay?
V: We have already playtested the maps as they are currently publicly available, if the changes are too extreme we might have to retest, and we may not want to purchase them.
Me: Okay, I'm only planning slight visual changes. (send the updated versions on sunday)
V: Hey can you fill out this form so we can wire you the money?
Me: YES!!! I CAN DO THAT!!

Valve has no problems buying stuff created with their own technology if they want to (in this case it's their map editor Hammer). Valve has even hired people to make maps for them, the map Kong King released as part of the Sleeping Dogs promo last year was an original community map they commissioned.

Most sources I've seen online says that Valve pays several thousand dollars for maps. I imagine it varies per map, since if they have to buy a lot of art assets for a map that probably all comes out of the same money.

Wok

I now own the two first episodes of Cognition. I don't know how you guys got the news about the Steam keys being added to the Indie Game Stand game wallet, but thanks.

ModBot said:
To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-EF710D93CFFC8D61
Trine 2 -- MB-7956E954A9D42D04
Bastion -- MB-5107479444B671F2
FTL -- MB-6AFFDA04BADB08AC

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Except as I posted that isn't what Valve does to buy maps, the map stamps and strange filters are just a way for TF2 players to donate money directly to community map makers.

Yes, I know. I wasn't correcting you but rather adding on to what you said regarding mappers earning money via Valve purchasing directly.

Edit: Oh, I see, I forgot the "also". My bad. ;)

JaseC

Any experiences with Brothers A tale of two sons? I'm thinking of picking it up after reading the review on giantbomb.

The OT is littered with positive impressions and the OP has quoted a bunch in the first post. It's a no-brainer if you're at all interested.

Any experiences with Brothers A tale of two sons? I'm thinking of picking it up after reading the review on giantbomb.

Really really liked it. The best bit is in all the promo photos etc., I think they only ever showed the first hour or so, the second half of the game features some absolutely incredible settings that might surprise you. Game holds its cards close to its chest, I would highly recommend.

Man, I have no idea how I ever got to 300 posts on GAF by being this stupid.

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (long ass name) is surprisingly good. I haven't noticed any rubberbanding, although that might just be because I don't play racers that much. The pickups are unique, the tracks are fun, and the game looks and runs great on PC. Definitely worth the 5 dollars in card and CS:GO case money.

I just got it as well and I'm really enjoying. Once I sussed how the power-sliding worked it's really not all that difficult.

Kammie

Oh man, Sid Meier's Pirates for 2.50.

Is there anyone willing to gift it to me, and I can Paypal the amount over? It's not available in my region.

Bluth54

Yes, I know. I wasn't correcting you but rather adding on to what you said regarding mappers earning money via Valve purchasing directly.

Edit: Oh, I see, I forgot the "also". My bad. ;)

Ah okay I thought you were posting that that was the way Valve bought maps.

I like map stamps, it's a nice way to give back to map makers. Making a good, balanced map is a lot more work them making an item in TF2, yet I imagine most items makers make more money then most map makers, so giving the map makers some extra cash is a nice thing for Valve to do.

I've personally bought 2 maps stamps for each community maps, I should really buy some more.

tmespe

The OT is littered with positive impressions and the OP has quoted a bunch in the first post. It's a no-brainer if you're at all interested.

Really really liked it. The best bit is in all the promo photos etc., I think they only ever showed the first hour or so, the second half of the game features some absolutely incredible settings that might surprise you. Game holds its cards close to its chest, I would highly recommend.

Bought. Thanks! I looked at some of the posts in the OT. I absolutely loved Journey, so if it in reminiscent of that it'll probably be my GOTY. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow after a long work day.

JaseC

Ah okay I thought you were posting that that was the way Valve bought maps.

I like map stamps, it's a nice way to give back to map makers. Making a good, balanced map is a lot more work them making an item in TF2, yet I imagine most items makers make more money then most map makers, so giving the map makers some extra cash is a nice thing for Valve to do.

I've personally bought 2 maps stamps for each community maps, I should really buy some more.

TF2 isn't my cup of tea, but I did buy CS:GO's Community Pass as I've been playing the game (or rather, the series in general) for many years now, so I thought I'd do my part to give back.

Arthea

It seems my steam client problems are over finally! rejoice!
Haven't noticed any update or anything, I wonder how it fixed itself, must be miracle (><)

very tempted by Sid's Pirates too, but I really played it on plenty of platforms. Must resist!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just realized that playing Sleeping Dogs in black and white hides the baby mode attack indicator. And now the combat is fun again.

JaseC

GamersGate's Weekend Sale is 75% off Sleeping Dogs stuff. The base game is $6.25.

Also:
20 September 2013 - Steam Client Beta Update - September 19th
We have just updated the beta, with the following changes:

- added support for upcoming features

Family sharing incoming? It seems as though the beta will start next week rather than this week as promised earlier, unless it goes live tomorrow.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
FEZ ; -- MB-010CAF6ABD457F80 - Taken by Dice. 13 entrants total.
Thanks. I knew I'd win one of these eventually. This is the only way I'd end up getting FEZ, haha. We'll see if it is good like they say.

The_Monk

Morning y'all my good fellow GAFfers, hope everyone is fine.

Does anyone know when the Bundle with those games such GoT and Sherlock Holmes are appearing? Maybe after the current Humble Bundle end?

Seagoon

Closing soon, good luck everyone!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Humble Bundle 2 -- MB-6F2F8E0A8F834162
Little Inferno -- MB-B417B432FADF0930
Bastion -- MB-984EC5F998BE5AD6
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-F7B44071726D9278
Trine 2 The Complete Story -- MB-593A925E0DA0C185
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-7DED36947B661739
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-AB279E8905AE7642
Depths of Peril -- MB-350F5B595C6A141A
Brutal Legend -- MB-2CA7BD43235F02AB
Cortex Command -- MB-8E0414BF48B43305
Limbo -- MB-EA8425319576C538
The Showdown Effect -- MB-C266036A5DAE6B9C
Burnout Paradise (Origin) -- MB-25B442D1C516E0F0 - Taken by None
Fez -- MB-27662FCEC83738D4
FTL -- MB-46B0E33511BB151F
Anomaly Warzone Earth -- MB-0ED41A9DD19DE717

t1379666115z1.png

JaseC

Morning y'all my good fellow GAFfers, hope everyone is fine.

Does anyone know when the Bundle with those games such GoT and Sherlock Holmes are appearing? Maybe after the current Humble Bundle end?

My guess is that it'll probably be the next weekly bundle.

The_Monk

My guess is that it'll probably be the next weekly bundle.

Ah, good ol' JaseC always ready with an answer, thank you fellow GAFfer, that's why I love it here, people always ready to help each other. Weekly, you say? I was expecting to be a Humble Bundle (was THQ Bundle a weekly too?)

I'm actually curious for that bundle.

tmespe

Ah, good ol' JaseC always ready with an answer, thank you fellow GAFfer, that's why I love it here, people always ready to help each other. Weekly, you say? I was expecting to be a Humble Bundle (was THQ Bundle a weekly too?)

The THQ bundle was a regular humble bundle like the Origin one.

Lame, Offspring Fling! doesn't share saves between Windows and OSX and achievements don't unlock on the OSX version.

My precious achievements... :(

JaseC

The THQ bundle was a "regular" bundle, but there's typically a small delay between the main HIBs, whereas the weekly bundles generally change automatically, and I assume the Focus bundle appearing in the registry means it's being primed for release. I could very well be wrong, though.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

Anteater

Hopefully this works, this is my first giveaway! This is a bit of a thank you to all of the pillars of the Steam community who post here on a regular basis. Although I'm a nervous nelly and don't post much, I lurk here just about everyday and love reading about new releases, great deals and mini reviews.

Good luck everyone!

Thank you for showdown effect :D

JaseC

I wish the original Port Royale were on Steam. Valve should put some effort into poaching GOG's library -- Squeenix and Night Dive are the only publishers that bother to release their GOG games on Steam with consistency.

The_Monk

I wish the original Port Royale were on Steam. Valve should put some effort into poaching GOG's library -- Squeenix and Night Dive are the only publishers who bother to release their GOG games on Steam with consistency.

You just reminded me (again) that I'm still waiting for Anno 1404 + Anno 1404 Venice to appear on Steam again but I won't get my hopes up.

JaseC

Is Train Simulator 2013 any good?
Cause it's added to the KISS2 Groupees bundle

Thanks for the heads-up. I already owned Train Sim 2013 as part of Trains vs Zombies, but the regular subs for the game contain a bunch of DLC that TvZ lacks.

Edit: Also added were two Greenlight games: Radical Roach and Grimind.

Oh that's nice. Hey, maybe we will get a Ubisoft bundle like the Origin one.

GetGames had an Ubi bundle the other week, but only one or two of the games were Steam-redeemable. I actually dreamt recently that Ubi put up a publisher pack on Steam and Tintin was included; needless to say, I awoke disappointed. :(

Deques

Thanks for the heads-up. I already owned Train Sim 2013 as part of Trains vs Zombies, but the regular subs for the game contain a bunch of DLC that TvZ lacks.

Someone posted a list of all DLCs that comes with the base game in the bundle

Edit: The minimum is one game, which costs $0.75. Great price for Train Sim :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom