• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

ibFFq9C.jpg

no escape

oipic

So good to see this avatar once again:

image.php

Very happy to see that you're back on deck, Salsa - please stick around this time, y'hear? There's some meaty and mysterious Valve shizzle going on in the coming days, we need you here!

Goddamn, I cleared the first level of Rogue Legacy with no problem but now I am having trouble reaching the forest boss (I have been there twice, died both times at about 50% HP left). Dang. And I have leveled like ~20 levels between those two runs.

Tenrius

I've played Saints Row IV for a couple of hours. Jumping around is pretty fun, but I can see it getting old pretty fast. Overall, I don't really get people who praise SR3-4 as the greatest open-world games ever. The silliness is alright and most of the stuff is done right, but the gameplay experience as a whole feels sort of second-rate, lacks something elusive but important.

I've played Saints Row IV for a couple of hours. Jumping around is pretty fun, but I can see it getting old pretty fast. Overall, I don't really get people who praise SR3-4 as the greatest open-world games ever. The silliness is alright and most of the stuff is done right, but the gameplay experience as a whole feels sort of second-rate, lacks something elusive but important.

Do people say that? I'm not being confrontational, I just haven't heard that response. I haven't played either [although a kind GAFer gifted me SR3] but I've always got the impression they were a fun open world, muck around and enjoy the silliness game where the devs don't take themselves too seriously. Some would say that GTA takes itself far too seriously but of course I couldn't possibly comment :p. Besides, I thought that was the point of an 'open world' game; it's a sandbox for the player to play in and more or less make their own fun, no?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I feel like there should be an effort to give away some of these copies of free games to non-PC gamers in order to lure them into bestGAF. Until about 6 months ago I was against PC Gaming too, simply because it was foreign. I had a PC that would have worked fine for most games in low to medium settings, yet there was much trepidation. I was forced to buy a new GPU because my PSU fried and took out my video card with it, and then I decided to try out PC stuff more and immediately got hooked.

I am pretty poor, but if I can find a competent way to give away some free PC only games to non PC game players I'd totally make a thread and give away some copies of Rogue Legacy or whatever awesome game, to GAF'ers. The Bottom Line will be that with more people going PC and in this thread, it'll be harder for me to win game raffles and giveaways, but I really want more console gamers to give PC a try after I finally saw the light.

Is this a shitty idea? Is there a good way to give away free games and be mostly assured that the members receiving them aren't already avid PC Gamers? Maybe it's a really shitty idea, but I just kind of want to give some stuff away to people that don't already have 100+ Steam backlogs. Maybe do it after the Winter sales, If I have to forego non-bill money for a few weeks I feel like it'd be worth it if we can figure out a competent way of doing it. If other people pitch in prizes too, even better.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I feel like there should be an effort to give away some of these copies of free games to non-PC gamers in order to lure them into bestGAF. Until about 6 months ago I was against PC Gaming too, simply because it was foreign. I had a PC that would have worked fine for most games in low to medium settings, yet there was much trepidation. I was forced to buy a new GPU because my PSU fried and took out my video card with it, and then I decided to try out PC stuff more and immediately got hooked.

I am pretty poor, but if I can find a competent way to give away some free PC only games to non PC game players I'd totally make a thread and give away some copies of Rogue Legacy or whatever awesome game, to GAF'ers. The Bottom Line will be that with more people going PC and in this thread, it'll be harder for me to win game raffles and giveaways, but I really want more console gamers to give PC a try after I finally saw the light.

Is this a shitty idea? Is there a good way to give away free games and be mostly assured that the members receiving them aren't already avid PC Gamers? Maybe it's a really shitty idea, but I just kind of want to give some stuff away to people that don't already have 100+ Steam backlogs. Maybe do it after the Winter sales, If I have to forego non-bill money for a few weeks I feel like it'd be worth it if we can figure out a competent way of doing it. If other people pitch in prizes too, even better.

I think it's a great idea, but you are gonna have to see if Stump can set something up in the Modbot setup for you because people got no morals with giveaways.

I figured as much, if it weren't for the setting and soundtrack I probably wouldn't have bothered with VC. Guess I'll go straight to IV and EFLC then.

My condolences. Make sure you drink lots of coffee so it doesn't put you to sleep with its incredibly slow pace and boring missions.

The_Monk

I believe this is a good post, thank you for taking the time to make it fellow GAFfer.

First of all, let me say that I can truly relate to you. I had this hard choice to, either keep my brand new building PC I had saved so many months ago to buy it or give it to a home, needing a computer to someone who was learning about the Internet for the first time, ever. I did the second option and I've been since then trying to build a second PC for myself, Of course, Economy is so hard in here that this became not only a very hard thing to do but a not so priority plan to me, which is a bit sad because I can't play game in the "proper way" in a long time. But I won't complain about my own decision.

I agree with you that, we should bring new people to the PC Community because after getting a PC they can get amazing deals, with so many Sales and Humble Bundles. I would like to bring honest, kind and polite people though. People who like Video Games but also the Community aspect of GAF. Even if people can't spend much money on giving let's say, two games, how about a little bundle for $1 or $2? Seems a decent price.

Bringing the best of this fine Community as well bringing the Love of PC Gaming would be the best of both worlds. I did along with a fine fellow GAFfer called Type2 something similar to bring the Community together, by doing some prizes and by donating some-getting some type of game. In case you missed, please read the very first post of this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505537&highlight=

I also helped another fine fellow GAFfer, Toma in a similar Community based thread but this was involving contests and voting in order to get the prizes. It was a little different but the love was there and the kindness too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482290

Helping and/or creating those threads sure was not easy for the simple fact that, Time Zones are very different based of many GAFfers we have. For me it sure was not easy and became very tiresome (answering 150 PM's each day), but in the end, I saw many people happy with it and that, filled my heart with warm feelings. Feels good to help GAFfers and bring this Community together. I like the way you wrote your idea, the fact you were thinking of new PC Steam users or new PC Users in general. I liked also how you intend to not increase people's Backlog but, instead, giving a chance for newcomers to enjoy PC Gaming by helping them with a little game or two so in the end, thank you for making that post good sir.

Li Kao

I'm prepared, I played through some of it on ps3 when it released. I'm really hoping it's not as bad as I remember.

The second time I could finish GTA IV. First time, when you still have fond memories of SA, you're too young, unprepared ;-)
All in one it was not so much a bad game as a let down fun-wise and a not so stellar plot (sorry game journo). Still a good atmosphere and some cool missions and characters.
Lost & Damned is short and relatively enjoyable, not much more than that.
I was awaiting Gay Tony like the second coming since there were talk of the secret mystery video game sauce : "fun" was back. Some hours into it and I was bored to death and the most crazy thing available was to sky jump. An activity more or less as much fun as an excel spreadsheet.
I lost faith that day my friends... don't feel any hype for V :-(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gay Tony is so fucking good though. Every cutscene is a treat. Every shootout is a pleasure (auto-fire explosive shotgun???). Every mission set up gets crazier and crazier.

I can't wait to replay it when GTA4 gets Steamworks as a replacement for GFWL #dead plz Rockstar.

Li Kao

Gay Tony is so fucking good though. Every cutscene is a treat. Every shootout is a pleasure (auto-fire explosive shotgun???). Every mission set up gets crazier and crazier.

I can't wait to replay it when GTA4 gets Steamworks as a replacement for GFWL #dead plz Rockstar.

Yup, I already read your opinion about the game and after thinking a little about it, maybe I lost interest while trying to do all the jumps. Maybe I should have continued the story. The mother plot nor Tony plot interested me much, but maybe it would have become great.
Side activity, that which can elevate or kill you sandbox, son.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yup, I already read your opinion about the game and after thinking a little about it, maybe I lost interest while trying to do all the jumps. Maybe I should have continued the story. The mother plot nor Tony plot interested me much, but maybe it would have become great.
Side activity, that which can elevate or kill you sandbox, son.

Did you struggle relating to Tony?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Lies I say, you beat Super Hexagon. Therefore, you can beat anything.
lol, but that's not quite right. Both games require a different set of skills, I believe. Super Hexagon demands learning the patterns and how to negotiate them, so you can react to them as soon as they appear, without having to think where to move and how far (because in this game, if you stop and think for even a split second, you can consider that run a failure). It doesn't really require lightning fast reflexes, only that you play it enough in order to develop a muscular memory that will get you through the obstacles. And here you can see yourself gradually improving, not only by getting a higher score than before, but also by performing some impressive moves (I love going in circles just because, even if going the other way is faster) and surviving the hardest patterns.

On the other hand, those old school-like games, such as AVGN Adventures, Super Meat Boy and They Bleed Pixels (or the old Megaman and Castlevania games, among others) require some skills that I know nothing about. I think one of them is fast reflexes, when you are being bombarded by enemies and projectiles. Another one is probably a good platforming ability, since you'll be jumping and falling and climbing stairs and all that stuff. And the last one, a skill that could very well be the most important of all, is patience. You'll die and die and die and die again. So you have to be patient if you wanna beat these games, something that I'm not. Yes, Super Hexagon also requires it, but in that game you see and feel yourself progressing and getting better, something I never did in any of these games, so I knew I'd be able to beat it someday if I tried hard and long enough.

These other games are just assholes, and they take pleasure in my suffering. And you know what the worst part is? I still like them, so I'm a masochist (but one with little tolerance to pain).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You guys ever have one of those moments where you look through your game library and want to play none of it, but you really want to play something?

I've been having that for the last 4 hours.

I installed Fallout 1 from GOG to play it, but then I didn't want to play it anymore so I uninstalled it without running it....
Yes, many times. Especially when you don't want to play a long, deep game which demands 100% of your attention, but all the games that don't fit that description seem shallow and boring. It'a hard to find a middle ground in that case, which is why I was so glad to have Super Hexagon (my go-to game during those moments; now I need to find another one).

What kind of game do you have in mind? Maybe we can help you pick one.

EDIT: sorry for the double post

Derrick01

Banned
Welcome back Salsa. Let's both try to stay around for a few months at least ;)

It does get old really fast. It's just like playing games with overpowered cheat codes on, fun for a couple hours but then it's time to get back to the real game.

Only there isn't ever an actual game in SR4. It's all super jump, super speed and doing the same activities 5-10 times each. The orbs aren't even as fun to get as they were in Crackdown since they were just randomly thrown around the city instead of being carefully placed.

If you think the missions in that were crazy (for IV standards anyway) then you're going to enjoy 5. I'm only 15 story missions in but they've kind of gone back to San Andreas' depth.

Like in IV and even Gay Tony you'll be told to go to a spot and kill a ton of guys but in Gay Tony the mission will be focused around 1 kind of wild element like stealing that train car. In 5 so far you'll still have to kill a bunch of guys at times but then there will be two or three other parts to the mission that add to the diversity. The last mission I did last night before going to bed took me 20-30 minutes to complete and threw about 3-4 different things to do. I'd go into more detail but would rather avoid posting spoilers.

GTA IV is damn boring.

Next you'll tell me Steam goes down a lot!

Hello SteamGAF! So, been reading neogaf for maybe 6 months now and since then it has been the forum that I read when it comes to gaming.

So, as I have been very lucky to have the pleasure to read gaf - and now have an account to post here too, I'd like to give something back. If only I got this one right...well hopefully it is and those who claim these games will enjoy them :)

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-2138199B9609EBA8 - Taken by PixyJunket. 1 entrants total.
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-7C0070562AA6535B
Dead Space -- MB-C93FBE031901176E - Taken by The Super Bob. 1 entrants total.
Waking Mars -- MB-812BB3FB9277A58D - Taken by blackMamba1187. 2 entrants total.

t1379776448z1.png

yoshizzle

Hello SteamGAF! So, been reading neogaf for maybe 6 months now and since then it has been the forum that I read when it comes to gaming.

So, as I have been very lucky to have the pleasure to read gaf - and now have an account to post here too, I'd like to give something back. If only I got this one right...well hopefully it is and those who claim these games will enjoy them :)

Welcome to GAF! :)

Retne

Welcome to the party.

Also welcome back to the spicy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom