• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Amazon seems to think Dark Souls II will be Steamworks, Black Armor or Collector's Edition not available for preorder yet.

While Steamworks hasn't been formally confirmed, due to the sizeable outcry that occurred when Scamco finally -- and hesitatingly -- admitted that the original would utilise GFWL, it's safe to assume it's been selected. I mean, it's certainly not going to be a Uplay or Origin game, and archaic alternatives such as GameShield and TAGES, in addition to being ill-received, don't protect against "zero-day" piracy, which is of absolute importance to publishers (R* aside :p).

I was wondering if Steam-GAF would know the answer to this. I have a copy of Oblivion: Anniversary Addition on DVD. Is it possible to link the game with Steam, or will I always have to go through the DVD to install it? I know for the Witcher 2 it's possible to obtain a steam code, but I'm not sure if there's anywhere to do that for Oblivion.

JaseC

I was wondering if Steam-GAF would know the answer to this. I have a copy of Oblivion: Anniversary Addition on DVD. Is it possible to link the game with Steam, or will I always have to go through the DVD to install it? I know for the Witcher 2 it's possible to obtain a steam code, but I'm not sure if there's anywhere to do that for Oblivion.

Your only hope is, if you've kept the receipt or can provide a copy of a digital one, to e-mail Bethesda and plead for a Steam key for Oblivion GOTY Deluxe.

But... Carmageddon isn't on steam, is it? Maybe when the new one comes out ;)

It's not, no, but I when I glanced over your post I briefly assumed GMG would be offering keys for the Steam version despite it not being available via the store. This isn't entirely unheard of -- Disciples Reincarnation is one such example.

The_Monk

Your only hope is, if you've kept the receipt or can provide a copy of a digital one, to e-mail Bethesda and plead for a Steam key for Oblivion GOTY Deluxe.

Have you ever tried something like that, fellow GAFfer? I wonder if that would work, just curious.

I finished The Walking Dead: 400 Days last night. I thought it was very well done and even though you didn't spend a ton of time with each of the characters, it still managed to tell some interesting stories. I am really anticipating Season 2 now.

JaseC

Did that ever work?
Have you ever tried something like that, fellow GAFfer? I wonder if that would work, just curious.

I can't say I'm aware of any such success stories, and personally I haven't gotten around to purchasing a retail copy of Arkham Asylum vanilla just yet. I'll be sure to post word of my good fortune -- or lack thereof, as the case may be -- when I get around to it.

Welp, looks like I'm out of luck. My receipt is long gone by now.

Bugger. :(

The_Monk

I finished The Walking Dead: 400 Days last night. I thought it was very well done and even though you didn't spend a ton of time with each of the characters, it still managed to tell some interesting stories. I am really anticipating Season 2 now.

Happy that you liked it fellow GAFfer, and I agree, can't wait for Season 2. It was such a great game. I might replay it on a different platform, but right now, it's not a priority.

Grief.exe

Did one of the reveal trailers have a Steamworks logo at the end too?

One of the trailers had the Steam logo and their website has the Steam logo, nothing has been confirmed though. Namco has also gone all-in for Steamworks recently.

At this point, the evidence has started to mount. You can never trust Japanese publishers to make competent decisions though.

Dambrosi

Banned
Amazon seems to think Dark Souls II will be Steamworks, Black Armor or Collector's Edition not available for preorder yet.

My birthday is around the PC release, I know exactly what I will be asking for!
Well, it ain't gonna be GFWL again, is it? :p

I'm signed up for the PS3 "beta test", and I can't bloody wait. Come to me, Dark Souls 2. Come to my tender embrace.

Anustart

So I went to play some more Bioshock Infinite a second ago and the game wouldn't launch because it was saying it required dx 10...

I have a new gtx 760 so I'm quite certain that I meet that requirement (not to mention I'd played the game yesterday).

A restart fixed this problem, but when I signed out of Windows 8, the screen got stuck on black with the mouse cursor flashing in and out of existence :/ I'm worried gaf, what's going on???

JaseC

One of the trailers had the Steam logo and their website has the Steam logo, nothing has been confirmed though. Namco has also gone all-in for Steamworks recently.

At this point, the evidence has started to mount. You can never trust Japanese publishers to make competent decisions though.

So it does.

Turfster

So I went to play some more Bioshock Infinite a second ago and the game wouldn't launch because it was saying it required dx 10...

I have a new gtx 760 so I'm quite certain that I meet that requirement (not to mention I'd played the game yesterday).

A restart fixed this problem, but when I signed out of Windows 8, the screen got stuck on black with the mouse cursor flashing in and out of existence :/ I'm worried gaf, what's going on???

Try downgrading your Nvidia drivers if you recently upgraded them (or upgrading if there's a higher version number). I guess it could also be a sign of something more seriously wrong with your system, but try that first.

jediyoshi

Looking at the content server stats since users seem to be peaking right now

JCseikv.png

Crazy to think how little Asia has, or how much Russia has over relatively

MRORANGE

I want to submit some sort of response but I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. :(

It's an interesting film, but I just feel some of the scenes with the family she travels with adds nothing to the story and just elongates the whole film, we don't even know what happens to them at the end. I did like Ronan's character though.

I watched this at 5am in the morning so memory of the film is quite groggy.

JaseC

I'll look into that. Also, does the Bioshock pack get any cheaper besides the one on Amazon?

If you're in need of all three games, then Amazon's bundle is the best offering, but if you're only after Infinite in particular, it's been <$20 in the past.

Edit: Oh, I thought GameFly's sale had ended. Never mind. ;)

Cru

Has anyone who purchased Takedown: Red Sabre noticed the folder in your Steam dir is labeled Early Access? I feel cheated. Such an awful fucking game.

Soule

Looking at the content server stats since users seem to be peaking right now

JCseikv.png

Crazy to think how little Asia has, or how much Russia has over relatively

Where do you see this?

EDIT: Nvm I found it, never saw this before though so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Happy that you liked it fellow GAFfer, and I agree, can't wait for Season 2. It was such a great game. I might replay it on a different platform, but right now, it's not a priority.

Agreed, I'd also be interested in playing it again and making different choices. It also made me really excited to see what they do with The Wolf Among Us.

JaseC

It's an interesting film, but I just feel some of the scenes with the family she travels with adds nothing to the story and just elongates the whole film, we don't even know what happens to them at the end. I did like Ronan's character though.

I watched this at 5am in the morning so memory of the film is quite groggy.

Oh, I agree that the script has its fair share of faults. I rather enjoyed the scenes with Hanna interacting with the family due to how her unworldly and upfront nature clashed with their learned free spirits, and I gathered that we're supposed to assume
they're killed off, given the ruthless nature of Marissa's henchmen
, though I concede this isn't telegraphed quite as well as it should have been. My biggest issue with the film, besides the occasional egregious oversight in the script (Hanna is handily overcome when she has difficulty navigating the niceties of a dingy motel room but can Google like a pro?) is that the motivation for Eric grooming Hanna to kill Marissa is never explored in any meaningful fashion -- I mean, you can infer that it's a mission born from the desire for revenge, but why the exorbitant risk when the two were living undisturbed? It just seems overly contrived and foolhardy.

Edit: Because I'm full of them, here's a fun fact: The kiss was Saoirse's idea -- it wasn't in the script.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom