• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Hello SteamGAF! So, been reading neogaf for maybe 6 months now and since then it has been the forum that I read when it comes to gaming.

So, as I have been very lucky to have the pleasure to read gaf - and now have an account to post here too, I'd like to give something back. If only I got this one right...well hopefully it is and those who claim these games will enjoy them :)

Welcome to gaf!

Kp2MCKZ.png

Völgarr the Viking. One of the best games I've played all year.
Quite an accomplishment.

I need more time in my life to play it.

Gyat damn.
<3

Very nice. Volgarr is definitely one of the best games I've played this year. It's kind of sad to see it go ignored, especially here.
It had a healthy OT for a few days.

How difficult is the game? I am admittedly scared off because it says "High Challenge" on the steam page. I do not have the patience Super Meat boy difficult platformers.
Well it's not really a paltformer and it doesn't follow the same difficultly philosophy as Super Meat Boy and other games of its type. Volgarr is purely an homage to late 80's and early 90's arcade games. The difficulty is closer to something like Castlevania (before the Symphony of the Night watering of the franchise) and Ghouls and Ghosts. It rewards careful, calculated play as opposed to pixel perfect twitch action. That said, I do not think it is overly difficult once you start to get a good feel for the game. It's very fair in its challenge.

Quite an accomplishment.

I need more time in my life to play it.
Thanks. Steam says I spent eighteen hours with the game to 100% it, if that helps.

BorntoPlay

Free for all!!, take it...=D

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Hammerfight -- MB-A35BA60BE8D703FC - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk

Tak3n

Banned
Here you go

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Warframe Starter Pack -- MB-178C4432EA3E60ED - Taken by derExperte. 19 entrants total.

t1379788553z1.png

Li Kao

Did you struggle relating to Tony?

Hmm, memory is blurry, I remember the mother plot was boring me to death and... yes, main protag was maybe beginning to think Tony was crazy, but nothing major.

Played two hours of Showdown Effect (1 card T_T). Nice little game, but maybe to much on the little side of things. You can see that even with a bundle and a free week the community is not really there, takes time to join a ranked match and a lot of custom game disconnect before you can join. Heresy I know but fuck, I'm no octopus, this game could use a controller (treat me gently, I was an arrow guy for years and just begun discovering the wasd way of life).

Enjoy.

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header_292x136.jpg

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-C0F5326FAAA85D39 - Taken by Kifimbo. 3 entrants total.

t1379779328z1.png

Li Kao

Now to resume my play of the dota 2 tutorial which is a game that terrifies me and I know I risk never playing, continue being angered/delighted by Rayman Legends, or bite the bullet on an unfinished State of Decay.
Decisions, decisions, hours are so not in enough supply...

Now to resume my play of the dota 2 tutorial which is a game that terrifies me and I know I risk never playing, continue being angered/delighted by Rayman Legends, or bite the bullet on an unfinished State of Decay.
Decisions, decisions, hours are so not in enough supply...
The dota tutorial will get you all of 1% into dota. I don't blame valve, there is no way to distill that density into any sort of tutorial. You really need something closer to a mentor or a helper to get really into it.

Grief.exe

Retail versions don't use Steamworks is what he means.

The digital versions don't have full Steamworks either.
Having achievements and cloud saves is really only part of the equation. Full Steamworks would imply that it can be activated from both retail and digital versions, which no Rock star game has done yet.

The only caveat is Amazon and other digital retailers acquired some Steam keys later down the line.

Dambrosi

Banned
That's a pretty valuable giveaway, thx. Haven't tried Warframe yet, is it easy to get into?
I've heard it described as Mass Effect 3's multiplayer horde mode without the bullshit, and with added cool cybersuits and ninja swords. Made by the guys who brought us The Darkness 2 and Dark Sector. You and a team of up to three other warframe-wearing players called Tenno work alone or together to infiltrate enemy spaceships and installations for mission, glory and lots of loot, which is used to upgrade your Tenno to your desired spec. Of course, being as it's F2P, doing it this way is sssssllllloooooooowwwwww, so you might want to invest in things like the Starter Pack to give your Warframe a boost, or swap it out for another Warframe that suits your playstyle.

Here's a vid of the game in action: the action starts at 12:32. Sorry about the obnoxious voiceover, but it's either this or TotalBiscuit.
Oh, and I saw that Starter Pack first, hands orf :p

So is Towns any good? Is it like Gnomoria? I have that one, though haven't started it yet. Although I have 200+ backlog waiting on Steam, still intrigued in every daily deal (yes, I have the sickness already lol)

Bit bummed that i missed groupees kiss 2 bundle which was taken down, was going to buy it yesterday but couldn't decided what games to bundle with Train Simulator 2013. It's -75% at greenmangaming though and if you use 25% voucher (it's on gmg.com) on it it's 4,68€ so still thinking about buying it there too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
no escape

I'm glad I could comfort you in your time of peril. ;)

all they ever run at jasec airlines

at least it's a fun movie

Hey now, we offer her entire filmography. Well, except for The Host. :p

That was my first saoirise film as well, JaseC got a lot of explaining to do.

Welcome back!

I want to submit some sort of response but I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. :(

So is Towns any good? Is it like Gnomoria? I have that one, though haven't started it yet. Although I have 200+ backlog waiting on Steam, still intrigued in every daily deal (yes, I have the sickness already lol)

Bit bummed that i missed groupees kiss 2 bundle which was taken down, was going to buy it yesterday but couldn't decided what games to bundle with Train Simulator 2013. It's -75% at greenmangaming though and if you use 25% voucher (it's on gmg.com) on it it's 4,68&#8364; so still thinking about buying it there too.

I've not played it myself, but every impression I've read boils down to, "Neat concept; poor execution."

wilflare

I really hope Saoirise appears in Star Wars :X

----

can someone link me to the thread where everyone posts their embarrass gaming moments?

Thanks for Waking Mars, Camel Master!

ModBot said:

I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (blackMamba1187, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-9411C9A16A96C799 - Taken by The-Bean. 1 entrants total.
Brutal Legend -- MB-9411C9A16A96C799 - Taken by The-Bean. 1 entrants total.
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-1DF924F74571AE94 - Taken by Out_Of_Ammo. 2 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-0D6DB36C6881B8A7 - Taken by TheSeks. 3 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-DCF59A0F8A449577 - Taken by TheSeks. 2 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-AEF413A15B4A7815 - Taken by MajorMelchett. 6 entrants total.
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-50454F83BA0BBF55 - Taken by Sch1sm
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-63EFBC99C36C0CB5 - Taken by LiquidSolid. 2 entrants total.

t1379781444z1.png

Shane

Kp2MCKZ.png

I saw this and had no reaction to it. I'm burnt out on this 'retro' thing where games have pixel graphics but feel nothing like older games. But I should be open to treating everything individually, and I work hard to do so. Everyone has their bias. Comments on this page sound like something I would enjoy. Especially as I adore the Megadrive.

Is it anything like Gods?

I saw this and had no reaction to it. I'm burnt out on this 'retro' thing where games have pixel graphics but feel nothing like older games. But I should be open to treating everything individually, and I work hard to do so. Everyone has their bias. Comments on this page sound like something I would enjoy. Especially as I adore the Megadrive.

Is it anything like Gods?
I have not played Gods.

Volgarr is closest to an arcade game called Rastan, if you know that.

But yeah, this game is a lovingly crafted homage to the late 80's/early 90's arcade game era. It not only looks, but more importantly, feels and plays like games from that time. There are no attempts to add modern hooks into the game. It's purely rock solid controls and satisfying challenge.

Ionic

Kp2MCKZ.png

Awesome accomplishment. The experience of playing through Volgarr was amazing to me. The rate at which you get better is mind boggling, from taking two hours to beat a world to being able to run through the whole game and get the best ending with no deaths is some serious order of magnitude type improvement I haven't had in other games.

If people are looking for a game they can concretely say "I'm getting better at this!" while playing, this one is at the top of the pile. It helps that it's wicked fun too.

Shane

I have not played Gods.

Volgarr is closest to an arcade game called Rastan, if you know that.

But yeah, this game is a lovingly crafted homage to the late 80's/early 90's arcade game era. It not only looks, but more importantly, feels and plays like games from that time. There are no attempts to add modern hooks into the game. It's purely rock solid controls and satisfying challenge.

I faintly remember Rastan. Might have played it at the arcade. Did it have the occasional leap of faith?

And thanks for the info. Sounds like my cup of tea. Will check it out (once this ever growing review backlog lets up - past two months on PC have been crazy).

The-Bean

Thanks for Waking Mars, Camel Master!

So... this is weird. The post is saying I won both Mark of the Ninja and Brutal Legend even though I only sent a PM with Brutal Legend. Even more weird is that I only got the key for Mark of the Ninja, and not Brutal Legend. :S

I won't use it though, throw it up again.

Turfster

For the people not finding Saint's Row IV fun and amazing, don't do what I did. Don't go around doing all kinds of activities "to get them out of the way", just keep doing the story and loyalty missions. You'll get to them in time, and you'll have much more fun with them.

Also, I must be doing something right, because I got all my Showdown Effect drops in 2 hours, regular like clockwork.

Derrick01

Banned
For the people not finding Saint's Row IV fun and amazing, don't do what I did. Don't go around doing all kinds of activities "to get them out of the way", just keep doing the story and loyalty missions. You'll get to them in time, and you'll have much more fun with them.

It's the same crap though. The only thing that makes the story and loyalty stuff different from the other generic missions is that there's humor in them. You're still tasked with shooting endless amounts of enemies that take 2 clips each to die. There's no diversity in the gameplay at all hardly.

Grief.exe

Amazon seems to think Dark Souls II will be Steamworks, Black Armor or Collector's Edition not available for preorder yet.

My birthday is around the PC release, I know exactly what I will be asking for!

Zn3q3id.png

Kp2MCKZ.png

I can't wait to try it out, I'm a little tapped right now though.

Turfster

It's the same crap though. The only thing that makes the story and loyalty stuff different from the other generic missions is that there's humor in them. You're still tasked with shooting endless amounts of enemies that take 2 clips each to die. There's no diversity in the gameplay at all hardly.

Guns? I did most of it with my lasersword and powers. Throwing cars at mooks, setting them on fire/freezing them before groundstomping the area, that sort of thing. I really only used guns
in the "normal" sections inside the alien spaceship
Also, don't underestimate the power of humor.

Daily: Music Creator 6, 66% off

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like there should be an effort to give away some of these copies of free games to non-PC gamers in order to lure them into bestGAF. Until about 6 months ago I was against PC Gaming too, simply because it was foreign. I had a PC that would have worked fine for most games in low to medium settings, yet there was much trepidation. I was forced to buy a new GPU because my PSU fried and took out my video card with it, and then I decided to try out PC stuff more and immediately got hooked.

I am pretty poor, but if I can find a competent way to give away some free PC only games to non PC game players I'd totally make a thread and give away some copies of Rogue Legacy or whatever awesome game, to GAF'ers. The Bottom Line will be that with more people going PC and in this thread, it'll be harder for me to win game raffles and giveaways, but I really want more console gamers to give PC a try after I finally saw the light.

Is this a shitty idea? Is there a good way to give away free games and be mostly assured that the members receiving them aren't already avid PC Gamers? Maybe it's a really shitty idea, but I just kind of want to give some stuff away to people that don't already have 100+ Steam backlogs. Maybe do it after the Winter sales, If I have to forego non-bill money for a few weeks I feel like it'd be worth it if we can figure out a competent way of doing it. If other people pitch in prizes too, even better.
I like this idea. We could make a thread for it, and block people who already post in this thread from the giveaways (of course, in order for that to work without making anyone angry they should have to give their consent to be excluded, but I'm sure most people here will). Then it should be made so the winners have to post their impressions of the game here after a specific amount of time, say 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe have Stump or any other mod/admin tempban them if they don't, or at least blacklist them from ModBot?

The_Monk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom