• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Origin is terrible :|

Uplay sucking a lot doesn't make Origin suck less.

Origin auto-updates. Steam does the same. Uplay requires a manual patch download.
Origin pre-loads/pre-orders. Steam does this. Uplay does even do this and good fucking luck finding out what time and date Ubisoft is going to put up their own titles on the store for you to then start to download.

Then you have patches that possibly corrupt saves (and then your cloud saves) and yeah...

No way is Origin terrible. Origin is at least on par with Steam in terms of features and stability. Is it better? No. Is it as bad as people in this thread make it out to be? No.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I mean if you remove like 30 features from Steam, yes, Origin is on par with it feature-wise.

I'm not saying on a 1:1 level. But is it getting there? Yeah. It's better than GoG's store-front of having to use a web-browser to HTTP download things (granted, that's old school and works for an "old-school store"), better than Uplay's who the fuck knows what is up store, and Games for Windows Live's (now dead) store.

Grief.exe

Origin auto-updates. Steam does the same. Uplay requires a manual patch download.
Origin pre-loads/pre-orders. Steam does this. Uplay does even do this and good fucking luck finding out what time and date Ubisoft is going to put up their own titles on the store for you to then start to download.

Then you have patches that possibly corrupt saves (and then your cloud saves) and yeah...

No way is Origin terrible. Origin is at least on par with Steam in terms of features and stability. Is it better? No. Is it as bad as people in this thread make it out to be? No.

I may have missed something, but I don't think anyone in this thread made the statement that Origin is bad as a service platform

Origin is a solid client right now, the reason we dislike Origin is the way EA is going about trying to establish its foothold.

I'm not saying on a 1:1 level. But is it getting there? Yeah. It's better than GoG's store-front of having to use a web-browser to HTTP download things (granted, that's old school and works for an "old-school store"), better than Uplay's who the fuck knows what is up store, and Games for Windows Live's (now dead) store.

Uplay also isn't named "origin" which gives it an automatic win. But really all I want is to download and update games and to play games.

From my experience with the sims and Dead Space, Origin currently fails on the download feature.

Grief.exe

Couple more problems with Tomb Raider performance.

Whenever I get hit, and blood spurts out, my framerate drops to 30 instantly and then quickly climbs back up to 60.

Sometimes when I load a save after dying. It loads back in and won't go above 15-20 fps.

Both ways welcome me back to console framerates, and I remember why I can never go back to playing console games.

Given we're on the topic of Origin, did SimCity ever get the ai issues fixed? I haven't played it since I spent around 30 hours with it at launch and had my save state thrown back 5 hours or so. Have they patched it consistently or was the game just abandoned?

And if anything I feel sometimes console framerates are preferable to unoptimized PC games. On a console game you might get a drop to 25 for a second or two but on the PC with a decent rig if something is unoptimized you go from 60 to 20 and *vomits*

Turfster

Couple more problems with Tomb Raider performance.

Whenever I get hit, and blood spurts out, my framerate drops to 30 instantly and then quickly climbs back up to 60.

Sometimes when I load a save after dying. It loads back in and won't go above 15-20 fps.

This definitely sounds like the Nvidia problem. I thought they fixed that, though. Have you tried turning off tesselation?

Given we're on the topic of Origin, did SimCity ever get the ai issues fixed? I haven't played it since I spent around 30 hours with it at launch and had my save state thrown back 5 hours or so. Have they patched it consistently or was the game just abandoned?

And if anything I feel sometimes console framerates are preferable to unoptimized PC games. On a console game you might get a drop to 25 for a second or two but on the PC with a decent rig if something is unoptimized you go from 60 to 20 and *vomits*
I think people stopped caring about SimCity, even RPS had dropped its coverage for a while.

And yeah, unoptimized game is a pain in the ass, I'm looking at you Rome 2!

Anustart

Anyone else not really enjoy Bioshock 1 but enjoyed Infinite? Because it's leagues better in my mind. Perfect length, vigors that I actually used instead of in Bio 1 where I ignored the plasmids for the most part.

Not a perfect game but I did like it better and actually finished it compared to 1.

Turfster

Anyone else not really enjoy Bioshock 1 but enjoyed Infinite? Because it's leagues better in my mind. Perfect length, vigors that I actually used instead of in Bio 1 where I ignored the plasmids for the most part.

Not a perfect game but I did like it better and actually finished it compared to 1.

Both suffered from trying to tell a story coupled with too much shootbang. Both are still better than 2, though.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

I'm quite the opposite tbh. Enjoyed Bio1(although I feel it's overhyped) but really wasn't digging what I played of Infinite(even more overhyped). Story seems waaaay better though.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Im actually in Colombia getting shitfaced right now with some friends and musician coworkers (im working sound and video for some bands in a festival)
1gd7j4k.jpg

4/10. Sharp knees, would not bang.

I'm quite the opposite tbh. Enjoyed Bio1(although I feel it's overhyped) but really wasn't digging what I played of Infinite(even more overhyped). Story seems waaaay better though.

I'm in kind of the same camp after beating both, don't get me wrong I like Infinite. There's just things I enjoy more with Bio 1 like the weapon upgrade system with how it would visually alter the weapon and fighting Big Daddy's.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They changed it back which is nice

Not a fan where both lines are not aligned under each other though (its right aligned) :/

Yeah, I agree. Given the stats are to the right of the button, the "You've/Last Played" text should be aligned to the left.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm in kind of the same camp after beating both, don't get me wrong I like Infinite. There's just things I enjoy more with Bio 1 like the weapon upgrade system with how it would visually alter the weapon and fighting Big Daddy's.

What happened to me in B1 is that I enjoyed a lot more the use of plasmids with the environment, deciding what to upgrade felt very rewarding and in general I liked the level design a lot more. All Bioshock games are really good but the one I enjoyed the most was the first one.

What happened to me in B1 is that I enjoyed a lot more the use of plasmids with the environment, deciding what to upgrade felt very rewarding and in general I liked the level design a lot more. All Bioshock games are really good but the one I enjoyed the most was the first one.
What I miss most from B1 was multiple weapons. The two-weapon limit in BI sucks, sometimes I have to discard my upgraded weapon because it ran out of ammo.

FloatOn

Both suffered from trying to tell a story coupled with too much shootbang. Both are still better than 2, though.

Why people think other Bioshock games are better than part 2 is so crazy to me. I guess its a matter of initial buzz or something. If you look at how you play and what you do it becomes clear that Bioshock peaked with part 2.

Greatly preferred 1, but it's contingent on your expectations and FPS preferences. While 1 felt like a System Shock for dummies, Infinite threw that all out and made it into like every other shooter. It was such a bummer, especially given their pre-release mentioning of 1999 mode which couldn't have been more inappropriately termed.

I wish that they'd remember one of the cool things about SS2 was that you weren't forced into being a Jack of all trades, you could specialize. It's a little silly but I just hated how willing the protagonists you played were willing to mutate themselves right off the bat in both of those Bioshocks.

Anustart

Greatly preferred 1, but it's contingent on your expectations and FPS preferences. While 1 felt like a System Shock for dummies, Infinite threw that all out and made it into like every other shooter. It was such a bummer, especially given their pre-release mentioning of 1999 mode which couldn't have been more inappropriately termed.

I wish that they'd remember one of the cool things about SS2 was that you weren't forced into being a Jack of all trades, you could specialize. It's a little silly but I just hated how willing the protagonists you played were willing to mutate themselves right off the bat in both of those Bioshocks.

I really enjoyed System Shock 2 and I feel that I'd rather have a plain shooter than a bad attempt at mimicking SS2.

I just found the story and atmosphere of Infinite to be much better than Rapture. The whole story of Bioshock was hey! I need help, would you kindly help me? Then twist! then hours of gameplay after that twist that didn't need to be there :(

I also found the gun play to be better in Infinite, due in part to some great vigors that were easily peppered into fights.

I really enjoyed System Shock 2 and I feel that I'd rather have a plain shooter than a bad attempt at mimicking SS2.

I just found the story and atmosphere of Infinite to be much better than Rapture. The whole story of Bioshock was hey! I need help, would you kindly help me? Then twist! then hours of gameplay after that twist that didn't need to be there :(

I also found the gun play to be better in Infinite, due in part to some great vigors that were easily peppered into fights.
bioshock is not meant to be a shooter.

I absolutely preferred the dressings of Infinite, and I think the Luteces are the most memorable characters from any of the games. I'll be honest, Art Deco does nothing for me so I found most of the environments in 1 completely unappealing.

Right now though I am just so tired of the formulaic FPS design of sprinting around, aiming down sights, swapping between two weapons, and crouching under something to regenerate shields/health. I mean that is pretty much every 5th game released over the last 8 years, it is so done. Sure they put some spins to it, but I thought they weren't well developed. You have so much potential in Elizabeth and what it amounts to is your screen constantly flashing in arenas where you can spawn a barrel of ammo or a turret. Lemme lure some of guys into a spot and spawn a train to run them through or something.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
could you kindly remind me how you got your icon grid spacing like that please?

Open gamespage_grid.layout, located in Steam\resource\layout, using Wordpad and change the interior spacing value to -1 (or a higher value if you'd prefer).

Edit: Updated.

Open gamespage_grid.layout, located in Steamskins[your chosen skin]resourcelayout, using Wordpad and change the interior spacing value to -1. (If you're using the default Steam skin, look in Steamresourcelayout).
Do you know if we can make the 16px icons in list view(with icons enabled) bigger?maybe 32px?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Open gamespage_grid.layout, located in Steam\skins\[your chosen skin]\resource\layout, using Wordpad and change the interior spacing value to -1. (If you're using the default Steam skin, look in Steam\resource\layout.)

I've tried this with both Pixelvision and Air and neither has worked.

Grief.exe

I've tried this with both Pixelvision and Air and neither has worked.

You have to mirror the settings in the skin's individual settings as well.

The file will be the gamespacegrid, but found in the skin's folder.

Then you have to adjust the image slider within the Steam client.

Grief.exe

Interestingly enough, you can change the resolution for your custom grid icons in the gamespace file.

You could create a super high resolution icon, while maintaining the aspect ratio, then downsample the image while in your library.

Basically personifies the PC culture.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Thanks for the clarification. I had changed the gamespage_grid file in Pixelvision and Air, but not in the Steam\Resource\Layout folder.

Much better now. I'm up to 509 items in my library, and it was getting to be a pain to use grid mode. I don't want all those nice icons to go to waste.

I've tried this so many time but never have got it to work.

EDIT:
Thanks for the clarification. I had changed the gamespage_grid file in Pixelvision and Air, but not in the Steam\Resource\Layout folder.

Much better now. I'm up to 509 items in my library, and it was getting to be a pain to use grid mode. I don't want all those nice icons to go to waste.
This is what I needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom