• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

Still not sure what's supposed to be so good about Saints Row IV. It's probably very much due to the fact I played SR: The Third a lot and this game not being very much different. Somehow it comes off as slightly worse, actually, due to a lot of things being almost exactly the same and most of the changes not being interesting enough. Thanks again to the kind GAFfer honorless anyway, I'd definitely have bought myself it at some point.

Derrick01

Banned
Is it as good as the first one? Any comparision would be welcomed.

I've put a good 10 hours into the first scenario and it felt pretty much the same as the first game but with a lot more options and attractions. It didn't give me that awesome feeling the first game did when I first played it back in the day but I guess almost nothing does anymore. That's the shitty thing about getting older.

Still not sure what's supposed to be so good about Saints Row IV.

Absolutely nothing pretty much.

Li Kao

Yeahhh, I won. After some time on it I could register my Crysis steam key in Origin.

- I only had to use https://activate.ea.com/applybeslddcode.do
- But I also only had to create a new nickname just to have the ability to add the game to my account.
- And now I also just have to understand how the fuck I will be able to add Mass Effect 1 since now this so easy to use site detect that I'm "new nickname" and when I log in tell me to enter my cdkey, without cd key field.

I won't old (much) grudge over it since I'm in a fringe case, but man this is simply pathetic.

Derrick01

Banned
Do the superhero powers make it interesting?

I enjoyed SR3 decently, and was thinking of getting 4. The "Crackdown spiritual sequel" vibes struck me the right way.

For a little bit but 20 hours into the game super speed and jumping over everything but skyscrapers gets extremely old. There's no depth to keep it interesting just like in Crackdown, but at least Crackdown didn't go too overboard with powers. That's what made hunting orbs fun because you had to platform at times. In saints row you just run up the wall of a building and grab the orb up there.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To bring the talk back to, you know, games...
I really need to get back into playing retro 3D realms games. Cover shooters with regenerating health have ruined me.
I'd love to have the old Apogee and Epic MegaGames catalog on Steam. Wacky Wheels, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Secret Agent, Hocus Pocus, Jill of the Jungle, Jazz Jackrabbit. Those were some amazing games.

Someone on the Steam Community says that you may want to change whether or not you're in the client beta, it starts working after you do.

I can't confirm this, I just found this now.

I started getting drops again after doing this, but it still took a very long time to get them. Took me four hours to get all five drops from La Mulana.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else not really enjoy Bioshock 1 but enjoyed Infinite? Because it's leagues better in my mind. Perfect length, vigors that I actually used instead of in Bio 1 where I ignored the plasmids for the most part.

Not a perfect game but I did like it better and actually finished it compared to 1.
No idea, but I hope this is the case for me to. I seriously dislike BS1's gameplay and bullet sponge enemies, which is why I couldn't bring myself to finish it yet. And I still have BS2 to go through before getting to Infinite, though I could take the Tomb Raider route and jump straight to the newer one.

Where is that Apogee thread you promised? :(
Didn't someone else make it, or promise to? Whatever, maybe I should launch some of those games on DOSBox, play them for a while, get in the mood and then make the thread myself. Can't say when that will happen, I'm extremely lazy :p

Melted77

I'd love to have the old Apogee and Epic MegaGames catalog on Steam. Wacky Wheels, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Secret Agent, Hocus Pocus, Jill of the Jungle, Jazz Jackrabbit. Those were some amazing games.

Wow those games remind me when I used to download shareware from my local BBS's. Yes, I'm old.

Tenrius

Remind me please, is Project Eternity going to be Steamworks?

Regardless of that, this Spring is shaping to pretty awesome already: Project Eternity (I backed it) along with Dark Souls II already make it nearly stellar, and there are probably some more potentially awesome games coming.

Jawmuncher

I started getting drops again after doing this, but it still took a very long time to get them. Took me four hours to get all five drops from La Mulana.

Do you have a game per chance that's not actually closed. Same thing happened to me and I found out stacking was chilling in my background tasks even after I close it. Because of it I was basically multi game idling which kills drops.

Retne

Do the superhero powers make it interesting?

I enjoyed SR3 decently, and was thinking of getting 4. The "Crackdown spiritual sequel" vibes struck me the right way.

I enjoyed it a fair bit. It does feel similar but I enjoyed not having to muck about with cars. I enjoyed running around and grabbing the audio logs too. In the end it's extremely self referential and plays a lot off of the history of the franchise. I think it's worth a playthrough just for the main campaign and the gags therein.

It managed to suck me in and play it a lot just like SR3 but your mileage may vary there.

I got my expectations pretty good in check so far. It seems the majority on this forum are rather cynical towards this whole business though.

valouris

if we get a kickass tailor-made SteamOS, or even a Steam-oriented Linux Distro I will be very excited. Anything more than that will be icing

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow those games remind me when I used to download shareware from my local BBS's. Yes, I'm old.
That's how my dad downloaded those demos for me too! It took him a whole night to download the 14MB Duke Nukem 3D demo (totally worth it).

Man, weren't those times good...

Copons

Ok. 90 minutes in X3:TC (vanilla, no XRM for now), my very first 90 minutes in the so waited, so wanted universe of X games, and it's basically the old fashioned but kinda revamped:
i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-18.jpg

I've read around that people play this with a controller. WTF? Do they have 90 buttons controllers?
Anyway, I'm kinda lost. I'm following the orders of a guy telling me to do this and shoot that. I shoot this and that and he seems impressed by my maneuvers and stuff.
After a hour or so I discovered the SETA button and I'm super high speed now and it's slightly funnier, except when I have to dock somewhere (oh the first time I noticed I had to get inside a tiny hole in a huge base) because the brakes aren't responsive as Burnout ones.
Also, super crazy shit that you have to dock somewhere to save (I'm assuming sooner or later I'll find myself in some super enemy sector where I won't be able to dock anywhere).

For now, it seems a spaceship sim, where I'm Luke before learning how to use the Force, trying to shoot down Tie Fighters, but he's too lame and Han has to do all the hard work.
So, here's 4X's Xterminate.
Can't wait to discover what new buttons configuration will bring with them Xplore, Xpand and Xploit sections.

Shantom

After a hour or so I discovered the SETA button and I'm super high speed now and it's slightly funnier, except when I have to dock somewhere (oh the first time I noticed I had to get inside a tiny hole in a huge base) because the brakes aren't responsive as Burnout ones.
Also, super crazy shit that you have to dock somewhere to save (I'm assuming sooner or later I'll find myself in some super enemy sector where I won't be able to dock anywhere).

Use the Autopilot to dock.

mrgone

Ok. 90 minutes in X3:TC (vanilla, no XRM for now), my very first 90 minutes in the so waited, so wanted universe of X games, and it's basically the old fashioned but kinda revamped:
i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-18.jpg

I've read around that people play this with a controller. WTF? Do they have 90 buttons controllers?
Anyway, I'm kinda lost. I'm following the orders of a guy telling me to do this and shoot that. I shoot this and that and he seems impressed by my maneuvers and stuff.

For now, it seems a spaceship sim, where I'm Luke before learning how to use the Force, trying to shoot down Tie Fighters, but he's too lame and Han has to do all the hard work.
So, here's 4X's Xterminate.
Can't wait to discover what new buttons configuration will bring with them Xplore, Xpand and Xploit sections.

You can auto-dock to stations with shift-D (I think that's the hotkey). Makes life much, much easier. The autopilot in general is extremely useful, but just be careful using it in areas with a lot of ships and/or asteroids. And flying through gates. And docking ;)

Also, by default you can only save at stations unless you have salvage insurance, which I believe is a consumable item you can only buy in a few places. There's a mod that gives you insurance all the time so you can save anywhere, which is really useful to mitigate autopilot induced rage.

kafiend

Ok. 90 minutes in X3:TC (vanilla, no XRM for now), my very first 90 minutes in the so waited, so wanted universe of X games

...snip...

Also, super crazy shit that you have to dock somewhere to save (I'm assuming sooner or later I'll find myself in some super enemy sector where I won't be able to dock anywhere.

You can buy Salvage Insurance at a few locations that allows you to save in space.

Didn't someone else make it, or promise to? Whatever, maybe I should launch some of those games on DOSBox, play them for a while, get in the mood and then make the thread myself. Can't say when that will happen, I'm extremely lazy :p
Yeah, someone else promised it, unfortunately I don't recall who. I am also super-lazy, so yeah, that's that. :p

Grief.exe

So I started up CivV for the first time, started the first scenario and I have been playing or over an hour now. This is dangerous.

I have no idea what Im doing, but I think Im making progress.

This is a great tutorial for Civ V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__9ZlOUG4E

I would prefer a software announcement for sure, but we will see.
I am not really sure for whom a Steambox would be.

Most of us would rather have a software announcement. A Steambox won't really affect those that build their own computers, the only thing that could interest us would be a controller.

derFeef

Most of us would rather have a software announcement. A Steambox won't really affect those that build their own computers, the only thing that could interest us would be a controller.

Have not thought of that, really curious what they cooked up, but Valve has lost me a bit since their "shift" so I hope they can bring me back in their fanbase.

fantomena

I agree. I have already pre-ordered both an Xbone and a PS4 (even though my primary games machine will be PC).

Valve need to cook up something else than just a PC box to make me interested. Im more interested in a client overhaul and Half-Life 3.

I keep hearing about this shift but I don't know what it was.

I asssume he means 2007 post-Orange Box. How after it they went from single player experiences with cutting edge technology to multiplayer and community driven experiments. It was that time that Viktor Antonov left too, since he didn't see them making risky, huge projects anymore.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Is community down for everyone else? It is for me.

Edit: and up again.

Edit2: but a lot of images not loading?

Hey, I didn't say that. I mostly enjoyed their output since then whether it's Steam or game related, but they did go through a paradigm shift, there's no denying that.

If there is a company whose shift actually bothered me to a big degree is Epic both regarding games and platform.

Copons

Use the Autopilot to dock.

You can auto-dock to stations with shift-D (I think that's the hotkey). Makes life much, much easier. The autopilot in general is extremely useful, but just be careful using it in areas with a lot of ships and/or asteroids. And flying through gates. And docking ;)

Also, by default you can only save at stations unless you have salvage insurance, which I believe is a consumable item you can only buy in a few places. There's a mod that gives you insurance all the time so you can save anywhere, which is really useful to mitigate autopilot induced rage.

You can buy Salvage Insurance at a few locations that allows you to save in space.

Thank y'all!

I tried using autopilot but I don't know why (or if it is intended), everytime it turn the camera backwards. I actually can't say if it's going backwards too or if it's like I'm staring at the back window of my ship, but I find it annoying. :D
Also, at least for now, I'm fine driving to docks and other stuff by myself.

Btw, I'm really wondering how is it possible to use a controller. I'm like constantly using the mouse for anything. I don't know, plugging a pad change the UI in some ways (something like contextual menus triggered and navigated through right analog)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom