• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The last original game Valve made was P2. Dota 2 and CS:GO don't really since Dota is a sequel to a game somebody else made and CS:GO was made with Hidden Path.
Portal 2 is a sequel to a game with stolen mechanics, which also used stolen mechanics. So that one's not original either.

Dem Valve are a bunch of thievin' bastards!

I jest, of course

Portal 2 is a sequel to a game with stolen mechanics, which also used stolen mechanics. So that one's not original either.

Dem Valve are a bunch of thievin' bastards!

I jest, of course

You're right actually, the last game Valve made was HL:EP 2. What the hell does Valve work on besides steam?

Freezard

Anyone else not really enjoy Bioshock 1 but enjoyed Infinite? Because it's leagues better in my mind. Perfect length, vigors that I actually used instead of in Bio 1 where I ignored the plasmids for the most part.

Not a perfect game but I did like it better and actually finished it compared to 1.

I'm not sure how you can NOT like BioShock 1. For me it's competing against HL2 for best singleplayer FPS ever.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Episode 2 is basically Episode 1 is basically Half-Life 2 is basically Half-Life is basically Quake.

The only original thing Valve has ever done is Ricochet and it is terrible.

Copons

Most of us would rather have a software announcement. A Steambox won't really affect those that build their own computers, the only thing that could interest us would be a controller.

By software you mean a game or a Steam revamp?

Because I'm super curious of how the hell they're going to do (software-wise) a Linux Steambox.
Like, of course if they just use Ubuntu or a softly customized version of it, with the current Steam Linux library they're gonna fail, period.

But what if they come out with something deeper than just a Valve Linux.
Like some kind of Wine-like wrapper to ease the conversion pain for developers.

I don't know, their possibilites at the moment are endless, and if they really want to push Linux gaming they just need to do something huge, or it would be just useless (like, I don't know, Google trying to get in the social network market, and just coming out with a FB/Twitter hybrid no one care about).

Anyway, I'm really looking forward for Steambox, because it would be nice to have a precise hardware for devs to optimize for. And also, for its controller. And... and...
My god, less than 20 hours. :'(

Grief.exe

But what if they come out with something deeper than just a Valve Linux.
Like some kind of Wine-like wrapper to ease the conversion pain for developers.

I agree with you completely, I'm excited to see what kind of system they have in place to potentially convert DX calls to OpenGL.
The possibilities are endless, and I can't wait to hear what Valve has come up with.

I'm just being honest here, the Steambox and potential conversion of their library isn't likely to affect those that build their own computers. We will still be able to build something with more power for less money than what they will be able to produce.

At most we will be building our own HTPC and dualbooting SteamOS while using the Valve controller. To be frank, I would love to throw my 360 controller in the trash.
That is why software announcements, see: games or client revamp, would hit closer to home for me, and I am sure the majority of this thread.

Grief.exe

I'm telling you, it's the google approach to Android.

They'll make an Linux-based OS and outsource the hardware.

I say this all the time, but I think the eventual goal for Valve is Android/ARM compatibility.

This would ensure the future of the client, and the company. Linux/OpenGL is just a stopgap measure.

Copons

I agree with you completely, I'm excited to see what kind of system they have in place to potentially convert DX calls to OpenGL.
The possibilities are endless, and I can't wait to hear what Valve has come up with.

I'm just being honest here, the Steambox and potential conversion of their library isn't likely to affect those that build their own computers. We will still be able to build something with more power for less money than what they will be able to produce.

At most we will be building our own HTPC and dualbooting SteamOS while using the Valve controller. To be frank, I would love to throw my 360 controller in the trash.
That is why software announcements, see: games or client revamp, would hit closer to home for me, and I am sure the majority of this thread.

And if anything, it isn't going to affect it in some negative ways.
Like people who says that Steambox is like Valve betraying PC gaming. I couldn't disagree more.

An "easy" PC -> more people playing on PC -> more games on Steam -> ??? -> PROFIT

I, for one, don't know anything about hardware, and I don't have time or will to learn about best specs and deals and anyway I'm too indecisive (or poor :D ) to finally press the buy button.
Steambox (but not just Linux, not right now!) would relieve me of a lot of pain.

Also, I'm not a fan of dualbooting because I really don't like having to reset every single time I need an application unavailable on one of the OSs (and I know I don't like it because I'm currently dualbooting OSX for work and Win7 for leisure, and it's a pain in the ass everytime I'm playing and get a work email).

I say this all the time, but I think the eventual goal for Valve is Android/ARM compatibility.

There's certainly absolutely no reason for them to not expand their Android app into an alternate storefront that can sell and manage Android games, or provide Steam Play cross-compatibility for games with PC and Android versions. That way they'll be prepared for whatever platform mix comes down the pipe.

Grief.exe

And if anything, it isn't going to affect it in some negative ways.
Like people who says that Steambox is like Valve betraying PC gaming. I couldn't disagree more.

An "easy" PC -> more people playing on PC -> more games on Steam -> ??? -> PROFIT

People say this? Blows my mind. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I always am.

The only reasons why we haven't got HL3 is that there making more money from Steam, why sell a inferior single player FPS when you sell other peoples indie games without doing any of the leg work.

I read an interview with Gabe that the reason HL3 is on hold is they don't want to release a product unless it is innovative.

Tellaerin

I read an interview with Gabe that the reason HL3 is on hold is they don't want to release a product unless it is innovative.

That's nice (and I mean that sincerely), but what about the people who've been following the story from the start and are interested in where it's going and how it ends? It'd be a different story if we were talking about a standalone game rather than the next installment in a series. : /

Copons

People say this? Blows my mind. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I always am.

Well, I may have summarized it too much, but I'm totally sure I've read people disappointed with Valve for trying to "consolize" PC gaming.
While it may be true from a formal standpoint, I really cannot see the cons of it. Or at least, I won't see them until Valve make Steam a Steambox exclusive, but it sounds so stupid even to write it to make a point. :D

Sounds like Rockstar with RDR conversion... :D

Copons

That's nice (and I mean that sincerely), but what about the people who've been following the story from the start and are interested in where it's going and how it ends? It'd be a different story if we were talking about a standalone game rather than the next installment in a series. : /

Well, yes and no.
HL2 was perfectly playable, storywise I mean, even if you hadn't played HL1 (like, I started with HL2, because back then when HL1 came out, I didn't really enjoyed FPS).

And anyway, after a breakthrough like HL2 and all these years of waiting, I can see why Valve is taking all the time in the world. In their position, I'd be scared as hell to release a game that could be even like 99% super cool innovation and 1% stale stuff, because people anyway will shit over it on that 1% basis.

Momentary

Banned
I'm not gonna lie... I'm kind of jealous of all these "next-gen" console gifs people have. I hope whenever Valve makes their announcement we'll have something to make gifs from.

Martian

I thought the reason R* didnt put RDR on pcs was because of the fact that the game was developed for consoles and the game was too problematic to port.

I would love to buy a Steambox, guaranteed a pc that can play a lot of games on steam? Done!

rookiejet

Price is key. As is obfuscating the PC-ness. Although Linux is very usable, productive and equally tolerably painful as its competitors, it's still not viewed as such by most people.

If it's priced close to a PC, people will think of it as a PC, and naturally expect more utility and would want it to do the "PC" thing, which is to run Windows and the Windows stuff that they are accustomed to, even though Linux would really suffice for a lot of their use cases (particularly with the increased reliance on cloud-based tools recently). Usability has improved quite a bit in Linux-land.

For it to be mainstream, though, it should not be called a PC (and it hasn't so far,) and you can blame Linux for that.

Copons

Although Linux is very usable, productive and equally tolerably painful as its competitors, it's still not viewed as such by most people.

Easy fix: just never ever say that it's a *nix. Look at how Google and (mostly) Apple succeeded in conveying user friendliness with their OSs.

Copons

I want the SteamBox to be a steaming service for games you already own on Steam but I know Gabe is opposed to the idea.

:(

46503d1340350842-custom-engraved-toilet-seat-t219721_fry_i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hmm, steaming breakfast vegetables while I play a game. Now that's a gimmick I can get behind.

Honestly though, I would love a device just to stream and use a television while I'm using my desktop monitor. Bring back the old idea of LAN, for multiple players with multiple devices, without actually needing multiple desktops or PCs. Yes I know the issues that block this, but it's nice to dream.

Momentary

Banned
Did Respawn denounce a release on Steam? Because I can pick it up for $33 right now and it sounds really tempting, but I'm not the biggest Origin fan ever. If it were to release on Steam after I already purchased it on Origin, it would probably destroy my soul.

morningbus

Did Respawn denounce a release on Steam? Because I can pick it up for $33 right now and it sounds really tempting, but I'm not the biggest Origin fan ever. If it were to release on Steam after I already purchased it on Origin, it would probably destroy my soul.
It's hard to say and there are good arguments on either side of whether it will come to Steam.

I think we can probably safely say that the game won't be using Steam for any of its online components anyway. So, if it does come to Steam it will probably just launch Origin.

Whools

I'm not too familiar with origin, but aren't all EA games released exclusively for Origin now?

morningbus

It's not this?

What the fuck is the point then.

If you already have a PC and want to keep building your own PCs? Not much.

There will probably also be a cheap local streaming box that uses your current PC and streams to TVs at the far-flung corners of your house (and maybe other screens like tablets or phones).

Grief.exe

I'm not too familiar with origin, but aren't all EA games released exclusively for Origin now?

Respawn is publishing Titanfall through EA Partners. Gives them control of the IP and allows them to self-publish on Steam.

It's not this?

What the fuck is the point then.

He was referring to server-based. Think Onlive or Gaikai.

There will be a cheaper version of the Steambox for local-streaming from your computer to TVs.

If you already have a PC and want to keep building your own PCs? Not much.

Right on the money as always.

We are not the target market for a potential Steambox. Valve is looking to expand the market, you do that by catering to your current customers and expanding into new grounds. In this case, the living room, and the console gamers.

The thing we will be interested in the most is the official Valve controller. I know I'm ready to throw my 360 controller in the trash.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Remind me please, is Project Eternity going to be Steamworks?

Regardless of that, this Spring is shaping to pretty awesome already: Project Eternity (I backed it) along with Dark Souls II already make it nearly stellar, and there are probably some more potentially awesome games coming.

Yes, though it'll also be on GOG.

I asssume he means 2007 post-Orange Box. How after it they went from single player experiences with cutting edge technology to multiplayer and community driven experiments. It was that time that Viktor Antonov left too, since he didn't see them making risky, huge projects anymore.

Antonov left about a year after HL2 shipped, as at the time all Valve had in the pipeline were the Episodes, TF2 and Portal.

This would ensure the future of the client, and the company. Linux/OpenGL is just a stopgap measure.

From Valve's GDC 2013 presentation on porting Source to Linux:

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The thing we will be interested in the most is the official Valve controller. I know I'm ready to throw my 360 controller in the trash.

I must admit I really don't have much interest in Valves controller. The 360 controller is near enough perfect for me.

The Cowboy

From Valve's GDC 2013 presentation on porting Source to Linux:

I love it when companies make graphs that look a lot better than they actually are, like how this one goes 1%/10%/100% in equal spacing (as the graph would look a lot worse if they did proper spacing).

I must admit I really don't have much interest in Valves controller. The 360 controller is near enough perfect for me.

I don't see it as an either/or. Pretty sure whatever form the Steambox takes, it will gladly accept the 360 controller as an input device.

I realize that having a primary desktop PC will always be the best choice, but if the box comes in at a decent price I might pick one up to plug into my HDTV downstairs. Having my entire Steam collection available down there negates any slight desire I might have to pick up the XBone or PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom