• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed Company of Heroes 2's metacritics user score is incredibly low, I know it should not be taken seriously, but 1.7? Did I miss any controversy or anything?

Theoretically the Valve controller could enable to play Dota2 on the couch. That in itself is enough to get excited. High precision, low latency? Yes please. And there's the biometrics. Though that maybe a separate peripheral.

I just noticed Company of Heroes 2's metacritics user score is incredibly low, I know it should not be taken seriously, but 1.7? Did I miss any controversy or anything?

Russians were upset it portrayed them wrong or something like that.

Knurek

Russians spamming the metacritic user score, because they don't like the way commies are depicted in the game.

Theoretically the Valve controller could enable to play Dota2 on the couch. That in itself is enough to get excited. High precision, low latency? Yes please. And there's the biometrics. Though that maybe a separate peripheral.

Pls, Valve, don't be stupid and do not go for only three face buttons like the teaser picture on the page shows.

Uhyve

Theoretically the Valve controller could enable to play Dota2 on the couch. That in itself is enough to get excited. High precision, low latency? Yes please. And there's the biometrics.

While this comment isn't completely related, biometrics plus the L4D AI Director makes me so freaking excited, I'm not even kidding, it's the future... especially when paired with the Oculus Rift.

Raytow

Guys, guys, today is the 23, PES 2014 released on the 19 in Europe, 20 in the UK, the demo was out on release date(not) and there is no sign of a steam release yet.
How awesome is Konami?
pd:we are not getting Rising or MGV for that matter =/

Grief.exe

Guys, guys, today is the 23, PES 2014 released on the 19 in Europe, 20 in the UK, the demo was out on release date(not) and there is no sign of a steam release yet.
How awesome is Konami?
pd:we are not getting Rising or MGV for that matter =/

Rising is still coming, no update on its release yet.

MGSV should be coming. Its an expensive game and Konami will want to recoup their costs.

Copons

I had a PS3 controller that could not hold a charge. I would rather change batteries.

Isn't X360 pad a solution for that?
(At least the one I got, from the very first X360)'s battery pack is similar to 2 AA batteries and you can both use the rechargable battery pack or... 2 AA batteries.

Grief.exe

That's not really a valid criticism of internal batteries though, it's a criticism of shoddy build quality.

I had a PS3 controller that could not hold a charge. I would rather change batteries.

Its not even build quality, that is just the way batteries function. Eventually the chemistry inside just doesn't function anymore.

The best way to extend the lifespan of a battery is to charge it correctly. Make sure you are not constantly charging when it is full, or when it isn't completely discharged.

Batteries function best when they are allowed to fully discharge and then completely charge again, though it is not good for the battery to charge it when it is at '100%.' Batteries actually slow the amperage in the line down to almost zero as the charge approaches the 100% barrier, because it is much better to charge it at a trickle near the top.

I am not a chemical engineer, I am a mechanical, so I cannot tell you exactly why this is happening, but I can tell you that these things do happen. I also really don't care about the chemical aspect :)

Raytow

Rising is still coming, no update on its release yet.

MGSV should be coming. Its an expensive game and Konami will want to recoup their costs.

I was being facetious =P
Would love to see other Japanese publisher besides Capcom giving the PC a little of love(Dragon Drogma not withstanding)

patochaos

Neo Member
Just finished Dead Space 3 with my girlfriend. Small coop review if some of you want to play with a friend or a significant other.

Before starting, my GF started playing games this year. She discovered a new hobbie, but she still sucks ass. Her favourite games are FTL and Papers, Please.

We played in normal.

The game is not scary or difficult at all. I think the same amount of enemies appear in single or coop.

You always have enough ammo, and the way the weapon system works means a lot of the times you will be using a shit weapon, and then just by chance you try a good combination and never use anything else again.

There are some stuff you need cooperation in, and these can be frustrating if one of the player is bad, as if he dies, you both lose. This doesn't happen in normal parts of the game, where you can "revive" your partner (it can be removed before you start the game if you want it more hardcore). Careful if you get a grab death, you cant be resurrected.

The story is ass. The ending is even more ass.
The characters motivations are ultra ass.

Graphics are gorgeous, so are the sounds.

Be prepared to spend 25% of your time in Dead Space 3 in elevators. Elevators everywhere. I understand they use them for loading, but boy it's annoying.

Enemies are not like previous games, where a good slice would end them. You will quickly realize that shooting call of duty style is the best way to eliminate them. No ammo problems means a happy trigger.

Resources to build weapons are somewhat scarce the first 30% of the game. 50% of the game we had everything upgraded and thousand of leftover, without any grind whatsoever.

Finally there are some coop missions that have one of the characters experimenting the levels in a different way, which is actually very cool and triggers some conversations like "Wait, so you tell me you were not seeing all these dead bodies and teddy bears these last 5 minutes?"

There are not a lot of good coop games, so you take what you have, but this game could have been much better with some more polish or playtesting.

Addnan

Its not even build quality, that is just the way batteries function. Eventually the chemistry inside just doesn't function anymore.

The best way to extend the lifespan of a battery is to charge it correctly. Make sure you are not constantly charging when it is full, or when it isn't completely discharged.

Batteries function best when they are allowed to fully discharge and then completely charge again, though it is not good for the battery to charge it when it is at '100%.' Batteries actually slow the amperage in the line down to almost zero as the charge approaches the 100% barrier, because it is much better to charge it at a trickle near the top.

I am not a chemical engineer, I am a mechanical, so I cannot tell you exactly why this is happening, but I can tell you that these things do happen. I also really don't care about the chemical aspect :)

I thought lithium batteries don't like to be fully depleted? Nickel batteries like that, but not lithium which is used in consumer products. It's better to let lithium charge more often than to let it die

Grief.exe

I thought lithium batteries don't like to be fully depleted? Nickel batteries like that, but not lithium which is used in consumer products. It's better to let lithium charge more often than to let it die

Yes, 20-30% is the nominal area for discharge in a lithium battery.

Technically a fully depleted lithium battery would no longer work, but they will be built to prevent that.

As you said, small charges are better because there is no charge memory. However digital memory (the battery indicating how much charge is left) can be affected by that so a "full" charge is still recommended every now and then to recalibrate them.

They also occasionally explode.

Either way no way am I buying batteries to put into a game controller. I'd rather have something that lasted 6 months if it meant I can just plug it into my pc to charge (I have a launch six-axis still going strong).

Grief.exe

I'll see you on the other side SteamGAF!

Good luck!

mgs3-snake-salute.jpg

Is Steam having issues? In the UK and trying to sign in, but it keeps saying I'm not currently connected to the internet (lies, bare face lies). Nor will it let me change my password through entering my username and sending an email; it returns an error on that too. First time I've encountered a persistent problem like this before.

Milamber

Groupees steampunk bundle is live

Jamestown is a great game. Spent 50 hours on it
Pretty good...
Pay what you want ($1 minimum)

Games
Vessel
uO5LKg2.jpg

Greed Corp
uO5LKg2.jpg

Jamestown: Legend of the Last Colony
uO5LKg2.jpg

Naval Warfare
uO5LKg2.jpg

Albums
The Clockwork Dolls
Bonaparte
Hellblinki
Marquis of Vaudeville
Bonaparte Groupees Bundle

Books
Girl Genius graphic novel Vol. 1

Copons

I like the fact there is a cat looking at the controller.

I like also the fact there are three buttons on the right side of the controller.

If only every single Steam game with controller support was built with the Megadrive pad in mind... :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Groupees steampunk bundle is live

Jamestown is a great game. Spent 50 hours on it

How odd: with Firefox, the bundle is "[starting] soon", but using IE, it displays just fine.

Edit: Nothing of interest to me at this stage. I'll revisit when the bonuses have unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom