• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not the case with me. I was lucky enough to get it a day before it came out and finished within the following day (main story missions and around 2/3 Strangers and Freaks), and it just reminded me why I started veering away from AAA games back in 2008. I swore I'd never let the hype influence my purchases again, but they unfortunately sucked me back in.

I hope that means you enjoyed the game because it's really, really good.

Blablurn

nuuuuuuuuuveeeem. i could buy just fine over there. now i wanna buy fifa 14 and it says its not available in my region. fuuuuuuuu.

Deques

UBIOcEi.png

Should I change avatar too?

nuuuuuuuuuveeeem. i could buy just fine over there. now i wanna buy fifa 14 and it says its not available in my region. fuuuuuuuu.

nuuuuuuuuuveeeem

image.php

Appropriate avatar?

SparkTR

I hope that means you enjoyed the game because it's really, really good.

I wouldn't be veering away from it if I thought it was really really good. It's well made, but I didn't enjoy my time with it a whole lot. I pretty much finished the main missions before getting burnt out and shelving the game

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's really funny how I'm always on PC but then an amazing game like GTA5 comes along and it actually makes me forget about PC for a few days.

This is one that I would be jealous of if I didn't have a console and was primarily PC. It's so good and I can't wait for it to come to PC unhinged.

I haven't had a ton of reasons to ignore PC but there's been one, it's GTA5. Best GTA by a long shot.

Think I might have a go at some modded GTA4 to get my PC fill in on PC.

I have the patience to wait so that I can experience the game for the first time on something a bit more modern than on one of my two old as shit "HD" consoles.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I wouldn't be veering away from it if I thought it was really really good. It's well made, but I didn't enjoy my time with it a whole lot. I pretty much finished the main missions before getting burnt out and shelving the game

Completely opposite here. Best GTA game as a whole.

I got Takedown Team Sabre and haven't put one minute into it >>

I have the patience to wait so that I can experience the game for the first time on something a bit more modern than on one of my two old as shit "HD" consoles.

As do I but when I have the consoles you can bet I will not stop myself from enjoying a game like GTA instead of waiting for an unconfirmed PC port. Besides, the game is amazing and I'd hate to not have the option to play it. PC only folk have on idea what they're missing.

After beating it last night, I came back for more and played another couple of hours. I don't do this kind of stuff anymore.

That PC version needs to happen asap.

Regarding performance, Rockstar stepped their game up on PS3 majorly. It's at least native 720p and looks great. The lighting is a major step up.

Might try Takedown today.

chronomac

One of the games in the Groupees bundle I already had. Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Jamestown -- MB-C6D220B40CA92856 - Taken by nightstorm

Li Kao

Ok so after 100%ing or so Rayman Legends (not challenges) I needed a game to play. And it was late. And I was tired. So a quick short game it was : Rocketbird Hardboiled Chicken.

After a few hours I'm seemingly in the middle of this very short games and... it is not good. I remember trying 5 minutes of the flash version and getting hyped it was in the process of being ported but now that it is a thing, I must say I'm quite perplexed by the games.
It's not a global quality thing, it's not that I think it's good or bad or whatever, but man is it the most plain game design I have seen in a long time. So yeah the game is not a looker and I feel pumping it to 1080p in the option menu was an error on my part, but more than that it's the gameplay that stick out. Thee most complex orientation skill you will need is do I go left or right first. And then there is the gunplay, with bullet sponge enemies that keeps on bouncing when you hit then to give a feeling of power. Lore/writing wise, not a lot to see either, there is this quirky premise of a badass chicken vs commie penguins, but the only way the game seems to understands writing is by launching some rock music video with flashbacks of Hardboiled past. And to top it all one of the meaningful ones just bug and mute automatically, talk about atmosphere. Oh and for the time being, puzzle-wise, it consists of the incredible complexity of moving a crate over 10 meters.
Look, I know it looks like I want to assassinate the game, hate it with a passion and all but no, I was favorably entering it and am sorry that all I finally find in it is a game that would love Flashback and all, try to be Flashback and all, but fall short in every way.
It's not bad (it's not good either), it's just... I feel like I'm playing the equivalent of a bad fan art. There certainly is passion in it, there may be talent, but a game designer was needed. And a level designer too while we are at it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
From top of my head, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, COH2 and Rome 2 have them. Probably a lot more.

Capcom games (granted, using Games for Windows) also do it. DMC4, Bio5, Bio6, and I think Bio:Revelations all do it. Lost Planet: Colonies Edition also has it.

Dirt 3 also has an internal benchmark.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok so after 100%ing or so Rayman Legends (not challenges) I needed a game to play. And it was late. And I was tired. So a quick short game it was : Rocketbird Hardboiled Chicken.

After a few hours I'm seemingly in the middle of this very short games and... it is not good. I remember trying 5 minutes of the flash version and getting hyped it was in the process of being ported but now that it is a thing, I must say I'm quite perplexed by the games.
It's not a global quality thing, it's not that I think it's good or bad or whatever, but man is it the most plain game design I have seen in a long time. So yeah the game is not a looker and I feel pumping it to 1080p in the option menu was an error on my part, but more than that it's the gameplay that stick out. Thee most complex orientation skill you will need is do I go left or right first. And then there is the gunplay, with bullet sponge enemies that keeps on bouncing when you hit then to give a feeling of power. Lore/writing wise, not a lot to see either, there is this quirky premise of a badass chicken vs commie penguins, but the only way the game seems to understands writing is by launching some rock music video with flashbacks of Hardboiled past. And to top it all one of the meaningful ones just bug and mute automatically, talk about atmosphere. Oh and for the time being, puzzle-wise, it consists of the incredible complexity of moving a crate over 10 meters.
Look, I know it looks like I want to assassinate the game, hate it with a passion and all but no, I was favorably entering it and am sorry that all I finally find in it is a game that would love Flashback and all, try to be Flashback and all, but fall short in every way.
It's not bad (it's not good either), it's just... I feel like I'm playing the equivalent of a bad fan art. There certainly is passion in it, there may be talent, but a game designer was needed. And a level designer too while we are at it.
You aren't the first person who I've heard rip the game apart after going in open-minded so I wouldn't worry about looking too much like a general game hater who buys stuff to shit on it.

Nabs

This is on point. The game is very shallow and gets boring fast.

chronomac

This post from the other Steam thread is pretty much how I see the announcements going down: 1. Operating system 2. Steam Box with a cheap streaming option and a full-fledged console option 3. Controller (or more details on Sharing)

Nabs

I see a bunch of old Topware games in the registry. Are these new to Steam? Gorky 17, Septerra Core, KnightShift, World War II: Panzer Claws, WW III: Black Gold, Commander: Conquest of the Americas Gold (the regular version is on Steam).

Turfster

I see a bunch of old Topware games in the registry. Are these new to Steam? Gorky 17, Septerra Core, KnightShift, World War II: Panzer Claws, WW III: Black Gold, Commander: Conquest of the Americas Gold (the regular version is on Steam).
Yes.
I don't know if I'd want to replay any of these, though.

All new.

I remember Septerra Core. And i remember it well. Was a damn good game back then.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, they're all new. Where's Knights & Merchants? :(

So, those are the announcements! Cool ;)

JustinBB7

Quick question about Dishonored DLC, I have the knife of dunwall, the brigmore witches is the sequel to that right? And that's the only real mission single player dlc (story wise anyway) right?

My guess on the big announcements.

1. Steam Community will be available on all major platforms. So it won't matter if you play on the pc, Xbone, or PS4, you will be able to interact with the steam community if the game supports it. Lots of games will support it.

2. There will be a dedicated Nvidia based pc spec for Steambox using a custom os that is Linux/Android based. Valve itself will not sell it but you will be able to buy it from multiple vendors.

3. A free to play first person shooter set in the Valve universe of Life 4 Dead / Portal / Half Life.

Turfster

Quick question about Dishonored DLC, I have the knife of dunwall, the brigmore witches is the sequel to that right? And that's the only real mission single player dlc (story wise anyway) right?

Yes. Knife & Brigmore form a duology and are the only story DLC. The other DLC is time/how many dudes can you murder trials stuff.

derExperte

Regarding performance, Rockstar stepped their game up on PS3 majorly. It's at least native 720p and looks great. The lighting is a major step up.

I'm thankful for 720p and the pop-ins are less annoying than in old console GTAs but the framerate gets bad when there's some action going on. And all that aliasing. It looks like something that suffers immensely due to the hardware it has to run on and that it's an impressive technical achievement is nice but doesn't help when the fps fall towards 20 or even below. The game itself is of course very good for what it is but I think I'm slowly getting tired of the same old GTA humor and mission designs. I don't know, there's too much going on to call the game a lazy phone-in but at the same time it doesn't feel as fresh and exciting anymore as it once did (I'll still play for many more hours, only at around 25% right now).

chronomac

My guess on the big announcements.

1. Steam Community will be available on all major platforms. So it won't matter if you play on the pc, Xbone, or PS4, you will be able to interact with the steam community if the game supports it. Lots of games will support it.

2. There will be a dedicated Nvidia based pc spec for Steambox using a custom os that is Linux/Android based. Valve itself will not sell it but you will be able to buy it from multiple vendors.

3. A free to play first person shooter set in the Valve universe of Life 4 Dead / Portal / Half Life.

I'm fairly sure we aren't seeing any new software this week. Valve employees have made it pretty clear that all announcements are Steam-focused. They could, of course, do it anyway but I don't think we'll see L4D3, Portal 3 or Half-Life 3, sad to say.

I'm fairly sure we aren't seeing any new software this week. Valve employees have made it pretty clear that all announcements are Steam-focused. They could, of course, do it anyway but I don't think we'll see L4D3, Portal 3 or Half-Life 3, sad to say.

Would be kinda stupid to intruduce a console like thing without games to sweeten the deal.

derExperte

When it first went up I could put it in my basket but couldn't bring myself to buy that early. Too bad, will wait for a sale. Or 15.

chronomac

Would be kinda stupid to intruduce a console like thing without games to sweeten the deal.

Unless you could use some or many of the games you already own. Then it wouldn't matter. I assume you'll be able to play Valve's games, just like Mac users were able to when they moved Steam there.

Looks like the Steam OS thing is looking more and more likely. Ubuntu is the word.

nexen

If I were Gabe and was about to announce the Steambox, Half Life 3 would be the killer app to seal the deal. Just saying.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Please keep all Steambox-related trolling to the Steambox thread.

The regulars of the Steam thread should know better, dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom