• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjohn86

Unless you could use some or many of the games you already own. Then it wouldn't matter. I assume you'll be able to play Valve's games, just like Mac users were able to when they moved Steam there.

Looks like the Steam OS thing is looking more and more likely. Ubuntu is the word.

How is that screenshot anything more than an ubuntu install with a user named steambox?

I'm thankful for 720p and the pop-ins are less annoying than in old console GTAs but the framerate gets bad when there's some action going on. And all that aliasing. It looks like something that suffers immensely due to the hardware it has to run on and that it's an impressive technical achievement is nice but doesn't help when the fps fall towards 20 or even below. The game itself is of course very good for what it is but I think I'm slowly getting tired of the same old GTA humor and mission designs. I don't know, there's too much going on to call the game a lazy phone-in but at the same time it doesn't feel as fresh and exciting anymore as it once did (I'll still play for many more hours, only at around 25% right now).

I don't know man....the Heists are pretty damn sweet IMO. Granted I only did the first one so far, but like the way you put things together and then execute the plan.

That's pretty much the xbox one and ps4 launch soooo

Thats true.

If it's a steambox, and if it's *nix based, they already have a catalogue of games available, so...

I can only imagine that the Steambox could be a Streambased box. If its a box with hardware to play games without streaming it would be uninteresting for 96% of the steam users.

But -- Titanfall and Killzone?

Is Titanfall for PC as well?

Unfortunately, yes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wouldn't find it weird if the average person on the street expected a "launch title", but it's worth noting that we know what Valve's next major game is. It's Left 4 Dead 3. We know that because we know they have a full team working on it. We know that because we know it's running on their new engine. We know that because they have nothing else announced.

nexen

These are strange times we live in.

There is a (one-sided) platform war going on inside of the PC and the newest consoles are all basically PCs with different operating systems.

derExperte

I don't know man....the Heists are pretty damn sweet IMO. Granted I only did the first one so far, but like the way you put things together and then execute the plan.

The first heist was the high point so far, let's see how complex it gets later on and if the choices make a difference other than a few bucks more or less.

I can only imagine that the Steambox could be a Streambased box. If its a box with hardware to play games without streaming it would be uninteresting for 96% of the steam users.

Sure, but I think Valve realizes they are a large fish in a small pond, they don't necessarily want to attract their user base but rather the console user base because we are already sold.

Now I'm going to go back to being depressed about the whole thing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
These are strange times we live in.

There is a (one-sided) platform war going on inside of the PC and the newest consoles are all basically PCs with different operating systems.
Platform war? I don't get it.

You mean with Origin and Uplay?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Also, we need more movies with achievements and cards. I‘m serious.

I agree. Although the likelihood of the movie industry (MPAA) opening a new distribution channel via Steam is very unlikely.

These are the same idiots who just last week blasted Google for not filtering out search results that led people to sites where they could pirate movies. I'm pretty sure they don't understand technology. Like, at all.

Grief.exe

Spec Ops: The Line getting Mac support

L9jK5nQ.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Side note, if this big announcement has Valve selling movies, and having steam like sales on movies, this will get brutal.

I don't think that's likely for a couple of reasons. See, with games there are a lot of independent creators. But movies are distributed by a very small oligopoly. Even most independent distributors are imprints of major studios. They are not at all willing to negotiate more flexible arrangements. Put it this way--if Apple couldn't bend the film studios to their will, what chance would Valve have to? They don't have huge negotiating teams. Even with 100% YoY growth they don't have the financial clout.

And it's also running a little behind the times. The disruption in movies is a move from an ownership model to a streaming model. The major movie studios have dropped iTunes download codes in favour of UltraViolet ButtBox Streaming Digital Ultra Service U Don't Own It Holla Up My Boyyyy codes. Valve showing up and saying "You know that thing everyone else did 8 years ago? We're doing it! And thanks to Valve magic it'll be a massive win for consumers". Not gonna happen. It's an irreversible trend too. It's happening with music as well. iTunes is slowly being undermined by Spotify, Pandora, R-Dio, Songza, etc. That's also why Apple is offering a streaming radio package. They see where the ball is going.

The most logical move for Valve if they wanted to expand their categories of product, and I'm not saying they need to, would be to get onto Android. They can start with a Humble App, designed to make things easier for existing users and games that are already cross-platform. The long term goal would be to actually get more Android games on PC and more PC games on Android and have Valve take a chunk of it all. Unfortunately it's not possible to provide the same service on iOS (well, unfortunately for Valve, at least). Gabe understands this.

I could see Valve selling movies, but I couldn't see them doing much different than existing vendors (iTunes, Amazon, Microsoft, Sony)

This is some big picture stuff.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
It would be the bees knees if we started to see more Japanese mobile titles (aka the only titles Japan is really making right now) on Steam. Perhaps they could even make a real title instead of a pay to win browser game once in awhile. You know, by accident.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
It would be the bees knees if we started to see more Japanese mobile titles (aka the only titles Japan is really making right now) on Steam. Perhaps they could even make a real title instead of a pay to win browser game once in awhile. You know, by accident.

afro-shaking-head-no.gif

Breath of Fire 6, now with Steam cards.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
One hour until they announce the start of their hardware beta. Steam controllers coming in 2015.

This cuts me deep.

The only way to cut deeper is if they've partnered with Razer to make the controllers.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I actually use a decent amount of Razer hardware, mainly because I get it cheap off of Woot. It's not terrible, but it's too overpriced for what you get.

But buying a new controller from them? This is Valve being the serial killer from Se7en and I'm one of the poor people in the brothel.

def sim

I'd hate them less if they stuck to making overpriced mice. My razer mouse is 'ok' as well.

My cheapo mouse broke right before labor day weekend and they had this at the Best Buy. $60 is higher than what I'd like to pay for a mouse, but it's pretty comfortable and the extra buttons have been useful so far.

I hate that I need their software just to turn off the ugly LED logo, though.

nexen

My cheapo mouse broke right before labor day weekend and they had this at the Best Buy. $60 is higher than what I'd like to pay for a mouse, but it's pretty comfortable and the extra buttons have been useful so far.

I hate that I need their software just to turn off the ugly LED logo, though.

Make sure their software isn't sitting around in memory eating 20% of a CPU core. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom