• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

So I played some of Sid Meier's Pirates! last night, and man what a nostalgia rush that was.

It was also surprising in that they made some real great improvements to it over the old Pirates! game for the C64. I mean of course the graphics are all very improved, and the look of the game is much more slick than I expected, but it's the gameplay changes that have impressed me the most so far. Ship battles are more fun than ever, as they've added some new mechanics that give them more strategy than before. And I had my first few dances with a governor's daughter, I'd read before that some people kind of loathe the dances but I found them fun minigames actually. Really botched my first dance, took me awhile to get the mechanics of it down, lol.

Overall I'm very impressed with it so far, it's a great improvement over the original and I can see myself playing this a lot. Still as damn addicting as it ever was, and I'm sure I have a lot to (re)discover with it yet. Very much worth $2.49!

It's a great game, but it ultimately gets very repetitive very fast. You are repeating the exact same cycle over and over, essentially. I did (again) put some considerable time into my retail copy this spring though. The strangest aspect is that you have to fight Baron Raymondo dozens of times, same goes for the archvillain. It doesn't even make sense.

Finally got some spare time for GAF time! For some reason I was expecting some things in this Sale such Community Votes and flash sales. Oh well, I hope all that happens in the Autumn sale.

I also got a nice price for a Monitor, finally. It pays to support your local business since he talked directly to the retailer to get some neat price on that and more, good news soon to be able to play games at least on proper/Okay-ish settings... :)

Which brand/model monitor?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
So, has anyone tried Demonicon: The Dark Eye that was recently released. Seems like a pretty decent Euro-jank RPG judging by the trailer. $40 is way too much however.

Finally got some spare time for GAF time! For some reason I was expecting some things in this Sale such Community Votes and flash sales. Oh well, I hope all that happens in the Autumn sale.

I also got a nice price for a Monitor, finally. It pays to support your local business since he talked directly to the retailer to get some neat price on that and more, good news soon to be able to play games at least on proper/Okay-ish settings... :)

Congrats The_Monk!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
How does the Steam Cloud works when you play something in offline mode? I was in offline mode while playing Arkham Origins yesterday, but then I found out it has Steam Cloud, will my cloud save overwrite my offline progress?
You should get a prompt indicating the dates (...maybe also filesizes?) of the two differing saves, and be asked which one you want to keep.

I say "should" because I've never knowingly played in offline mode, so I can't be sure. But I have gotten this prompt for several of my Steam Cloud saves in the past.

Tizoc

They did before the SFXT2013 patch, especially the pay to win like gems like autoblock that barely costed any meter to use.

Well they're not that effective now, I've watched dozens of matches and I hardly ever see the Gems do a big role in the gameplay. Even if they did they'd be rare occurances.

Got about 45 minutes into Origins last night. So far, so good. I can tell this game is going to be a counter-fest though. Good god, the first 'fight' I had 3 guys with the counter symbol right off the bat. They do seem more aggressive than previous games.

wazoo

So, has anyone tried Demonicon: The Dark Eye that was recently released. Seems like a pretty decent Euro-jank RPG judging by the trailer. $40 is way too much however.

the price is way too much no matter what the devs think. They have to adapt to the current market. What will happen is that the game will not sell and then they will discount it heavily after.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Got about 45 minutes into Origins last night. So far, so good. I can tell this game is going to be a counter-fest though. Good god, the first 'fight' I had 3 guys with the counter symbol right off the bat. They do seem more aggressive than previous games.

I am glad we don't have to use the counter moves though. I never could fully get into Assassin's Creed because anything else was just a waste of time.

Gbraga

You should get a prompt indicating the dates (...maybe also filesizes?) of the two differing saves, and be asked which one you want to keep.

I say "should" because I've never knowingly played in offline mode, so I can't be sure. But I have gotten this prompt for several of my Steam Cloud saves in the past.

Cool, thank you :)

Reposting because I really want to continue playing The Swapper:
Is there a way to force a game to start windowed? When I got The Swapper to work, I did the IsFullScreen True.>False trick, then set it to full screen in the settings. But I had to close the game and now every time I try to play, it crashes again and I can't get it to start windowed. That seems to be the problem, because the game runs smoothly with no issues so it's not a performance issue

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Well they're not that effective now, I've watched dozens of matches and I hardly ever see the Gems do a big role in the gameplay. Even if they did they'd be rare occurances.

But the whole idea of having them in a fighting game is ridiculous.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I've played a bit of the game. Steam says I've about two hours into it but I've restarted a couple of times since I wanted to start things off a little differently as I gained a stronger grasp of how the character upgrade system works. It's not much, but I recently posted a very quick summary:

Haha, I thought I'd try it out since I've been wanting to play a third-person ARPG after overdosing on Torchlight 2. In terms of production values, the game is what you'd expect from a lower-tier publisher like Kalypso (average graphics, basic animations, occasional grammatical mistakes and so on), and the combat system doesn't flow as well as the likes of, say, Kingdoms of Amalur, but the character upgrade system is a little deeper than I thought it'd be -- you have your typical primary stats like strength and agility, but each has two sub-stats, which are either passive (dependent upon its parent stat) or active (individually upgradeable); skill/talent and spell upgrades are handled similarly.

With regard to the combat, in addition to melee weapons, ranged weapons and spells, you can also parry and roll/dodge. The latter isn't as quick as I'd like it to be and consequently feels more like window dressing rather than a mechanic you're encouraged to employ.

Virtually nothing has unfolded from a narrative perspective as I'm still in the first dungeon.

Tizoc

But the whole idea of having them in a fighting game is ridiculous.

Agreed, I have a different concept where there are 5 gems for 5 types, and you can mix match them to have decent effects that aren't overly game breaking, like having a gem set that gives you similar effects to K-Groove from CvSNK2 for example.

Arthea

I doubt it's possible not to love Sid's Pirates. I had bought it many times already, you, Mengy, almost convinced me to buy again on steam. Bad Mengy, bad!
nah, it's all good, gonna buy it again

Tenrius, your avatar is killing me, it reminds me something and I can't remember what. What is it?

Li Kao

Uplay (Ubisoft) has Final Fantasy VII for $3.

Steam key confirmed. I just finished this a few days ago after 65 epic hours.

Sq84wqo.png

Am I too late or is it some bs regional sale ?

Not entirely Steam related, but I've just rebought AC4 (Uplay version) after the whole steam region lock thing, so expect the region lock to be dropped tomorrow :p luckily, someone's said they want to buy my Steam copy so not ending up out of pocket.

The_Monk

Which brand/model monitor?

Need to grab the complete number of the model for you, remind if I don't answer later on, but it's an Asus.

Congrats The_Monk!

Thank you kind Panda! Can't wait to proceed on my Backlog but this time not in window mode, low-low resolution, etc. Still going to be something humble but I don't need nothing extreme.

Also, that AC IV news regarding the content from Single Player it's a shame but that does not surprise me. As always, vote with the wallet.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I doubt it's possible not to love Sid's Pirates. I had bought it many times already, you, Mengy, almost convinced me to buy again on steam. Bad Mengy, bad!
nah, it's all good, gonna buy it again

I only ever played the C64 version. Hell I still have the box and maps that came with it, lol! Those good old Microprose boxes and manuals...

Buy it Arthea, it's only $2.49. Less than the cost of a tank of gas. Less than a meal at Five Guys. Less than a cheap $3 DVD out of the Wal Mart clearance bin....

Hasney

You cant buy a used copy of AC4 on pc

I know that, but I'm not giving money to UbiSoft for any version of the game if they pull this shit constantly. You know what they're like, "oh people are accepting this, TIME FOR ALWAYS-ONLINE DRM NOW WE'VE SOFTENED YOU BACK UP, SUCKERS".

After all the crap they've pulled in the past, I only need a slight excuse not to buy an UbiSoft game, no matter how good it looks.

KenOD

Any opinions on Miasmata?

You cant buy a used copy of AC4 on pc

It's bad enough they are taking a sizeable amount of content out of single player without a code, but when it comes to PC it's not being able to access it while not online that ensures I won't buy the game. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise anyroad, but I was on the fence until this.

I simply can't personally support such decisions. Oh well, perhaps a re-release like Diablo 3 got on home console.

JaseC

wow this is bad. I refuse to buy any more season / online passes after being burnt the last two times.

Season and Online Passes are different things. Season Passes offer a bunch of DLC at a slightly discounted price whereas Online Passes are only of concern to you as a consumer if you've purchased a game second-hand -- you need to buy one to access online content. I honestly can't think of a publisher other than Ubi that still makes use of OPs.

The_Monk

It seems GAFfer Durante fixed the locked 720p on Deadly Premonition, need to see some differences from before & after. Also, Overkill seems to suffer the same problem, correct?

Miletius

yea, it was regional, I was prepared to buy it for a friend, no discount was detected.

edited: and I'm too late too

At least that means that it'll probably get down to that price again, for all regions sometime in the future. I can wait for that price.

Season and Online Passes are different things. Season Passes offer a bunch of DLC at a slightly discounted price whereas Online Passes are only of concern to you as a consumer if you've purchased a game second-hand -- you need to buy one to access online content. I honestly can't think of a publisher other than Ubi that still makes use of OPs.

ah, you are right. Still silly, you can't exactly buy a game on steam second hand...

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Every publisher preemptively killed the Online Pass program once they all knew that both consoles would have much better anti-used game protection in place. Then Microsoft announced it and everybody bitched. Then Sony did the smart thing and didn't announce their anti-used copy policies. Now both online services are shambles most likely because of it. And all the publishers were left hanging.

Except Ubisoft. :D

It's bad enough they are taking a sizeable amount of content out of single player without a code, but when it comes to PC it's not being able to access it while not online that ensures I won't buy the game. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise anyroad, but I was on the fence until this.

I simply can't personally support such decisions. Oh well, perhaps a re-release like Diablo 3 got on home console.

From the looks of that article, it doesn't need to be online, the online passes on console will usually download a small file to activates whatevers been locked out.

KenOD

From the looks of that article, it doesn't need to be online, the online passes on console will usually download a small file to activates whatevers been locked out.

From Eurogamer
Tom Phillips said:
You'll also need to be online and connected to Ubisoft's Uplay servers to play - which seemed to be having some issues last night. The mode was completely inaccessible during this time.

JaseC

Every publisher preemptively killed the Online Pass program once they all knew that both consoles would have much better anti-used game protection in place. Then Microsoft announced it and everybody bitched. Then Sony did the smart thing and didn't announce their anti-used copy policies. Now both online services are shambles most likely because of it. And all the publishers were left hanging.

Except Ubisoft. :D

Ubisoft: Preparing for the Future™.

Grief.exe

I know that, but I'm not giving money to UbiSoft for any version of the game if they pull this shit constantly. You know what they're like, "oh people are accepting this, TIME FOR ALWAYS-ONLINE DRM NOW WE'VE SOFTENED YOU BACK UP, SUCKERS".

After all the crap they've pulled in the past, I only need a slight excuse not to buy an UbiSoft game, no matter how good it looks.

Uplay's current system on PC is getting pretty close to always-online.
Both you and their servers need to be online in order to launch the game you paid for.

People complain all the time in here that UniSoft's servers are down and they cannot launch their game.

I'm just glad I'm not a fan of Ubisofts output, they really fuck consumers over.

Grief.exe

It definitely looks like a very unique game with an interesting concept. I have been watching that game for a while now.

The developers did abandon the game, though. There are a few non-critical bugs and broken achievements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom