• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Uplay's current system on PC is getting pretty close to always-online.

Both you and their servers need to be online in order to launch the game you paid for.

People complain all the time in here that UniSoft's servers are down and they cannot launch their game.

I'm just glad I'm not a fan of Ubisofts output, they really fuck consumers over.

Uplay has an offline mode. You do need to be online the first time you boot up a Uplay game from within Steam, though, so the automated product activation process can complete.

Edit: At least I think the process is automated. The last Uplay game I activated was AssCreed 3 and I don't recall having to enter my key manually.

Milamber

Uplay has an offline mode. You do need to be online the first time you boot up a Uplay game from within Steam, though, so the automated product activation process can complete.

But when the issue is that a single player only gaming feature is completely inaccessible unless they are online in the first place, is a whole new can of worms though.

Stitch

Gold Member
Uplay's current system on PC is getting pretty close to always-online.
Both you and their servers need to be online in order to launch the game you paid for.

People complain all the time in here that UniSoft's servers are down and they cannot launch their game.

No, most people just forget to enable offline mode and disable cloud saves.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
It definitely looks like a very unique game with an interesting concept. I have been watching that game for a while now.

The developers did abandon the game, though. There are a few non-critical bugs and broken achievements.

I'm not one to care about achievements unless they add some sort of fun or interesting challenge, and most of those I can come up with and strive for myself, so that's okay.

What type of bugs though? Anything that would take me out of the experience or become something to be extra tedious?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It definitely looks like a very unique game with an interesting concept. I have been watching that game for a while now.

The developers did abandon the game, though. There are a few non-critical bugs and broken achievements.
I wish Valve would go through and just remove broken achievements from game lists. Risen 2 is still pissing me off with like 15 total.

Hasney

I wish Valve would go through and just remove broken achievements from game lists. Risen 2 is still pissing me off with like 15 total.

They've still not even fixed all the TF2 ones, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

The number of A+ matches I've had in MVM and that achievement still not unlocking haunts me.

Grief.exe

I'm not one to care about achievements unless they add some sort of fun or interesting challenge, and most of those I can come up with and strive for myself, so that's okay.

What type of bugs though? Anything that would take me out of the experience or become something to be extra tedious?

I don't own the game yet, but browsing through the forum I don't see any real problems.

Valve is very laissez-faire with their control of the store. They have really only taken action in the face of public outcry.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Fuck, I almost started Risen 2 also! Did they ever fix the Age of Empire II HD ones? Bums me out having 1 out of over a hundred. :/

From beating the (incredibly low) average in that Vodo bundle

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-A5C3AD1D325F71FF - Taken by Knurek

Martian

Fuck, I almost started Risen 2 also! Did they ever fix the Age of Empire II HD ones? Bums me out having 1 out of over a hundred. :/

Yeah and the weird thing about AoE is that they worked for like a month before they broke again. So I have like 8 and cant get anymore. I want my damn achievements

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah and the weird thing about AoE is that they worked for like a month before they broke again. So I have like 8 and cant get anymore. I want my damn achievements

My completion percentage is suffering! It pains me. :(

Deques

But I only began collecting hoarding games 15 months ago!

Edit: Incidentally, Archive.org captured my profile the day before last year's Summer Sale began. Including DLC, I had 931 "games"; I now have 3,688.

Archive.org had my profile too, earliest is from February 2012. Had around 300 games back then. Now I got almost 700 games

Here is a chart on all purchase transactions I had since I started with Steam. The data is from my Steam account details. Note that this chart only shows all transactions per month, not games bought per month

help.png

FloatOn

Sega and logic don't mix, same goes for Square Enix.

Typing of the dead and the dreamcast games dropped so far disagree. Then there is sonic a racing transformed on PC being #gamechanger for kart racers.

Sega is good by me now.

Square and Capcom though...

Parsnip

I was afraid of that. Can you elaborate?
As someone who really likes a warm cup of coffee this is sad news.
You and me both man. Someone else listed some of the troubles, and this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Controller support is advertised but doesn't work.

I can't even make my own controller support because the game constantly reads D-pad up input from the controller.

Framerate/animations are broken for many people until they restart (who knows how long until the issue comes back and they have to restart again)

I press F with my map open. All control is lost, have to F4.

I can't even reassign the movement keys, and if you try to assign w,a,s, or d to another control you get an engrish error message "key not support".

Somebody else posted that the game crashes every time a cutscene starts.

Whenever I try to drive the car the game completely crashes.

I still can't wait to continue playing later today, if he manages to fix the map issue I'm happy.
I'm a controller kind of guy, so the lack of it is a deal breaker for me.
I'm just hoping that they either patch it or the community will.

idk where else to post this:
is battlelog down?
I tried to start battlefield 3 but I click on play in origin it just says it can't load the battlelog website.

'pagina niet beschikbaar' (page not available)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here is a chart on all purchase transactions I had since I started with Steam. The data is from my Steam account details. Note that this chart only shows all transactions per month, not games bought per month

help.png

I wonder what mine would look like. I didn't start buying stuff on a semi-regular basis until 2011.

So I played Arkham Origins for a couple of minutes and I can't see the complaints. The combat is just so much faster and snappier, it's way more fun than Arkham City. The enemies don't seem that overly aggressive either. Unless the enemy encounters change dramatically after the start of the game, I don't see a problem here. The 100 to 1 challenge unlocked at the start is also way better than Joker's Funhouse challenge, you get way more enemies on screen and the combat ramps up so much faster in Origins.

Nymphae

Banned
I am so cheap. Stared at the Penumbra collection for like half an hour last night and didn't end up buying. Trying my hardest not to buy Outlast because I want to play it on PS4 eventually, but damn it's tempting.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sherlock Holmes games? I love the books, and enjoy Myst games but have never tried any other "hidden object" games. Just curious if anyone else has any impressions.

Li Kao

It's depressing how little attention was paid to ensuring source assets were backed up or stored for posterity even in the late 90s and early 2000s. Two examples that come to mind are Squeenix losing the original higher-res art assets for FFVII's pre-rendered backgrounds and Gearbox thus far not being able to find any source assets pertaining to Homeworld: Cataclysm.

This is a good idea and certainly worth a shot, but I think he'll just be told to talk to the game's distributor/publisher.

Mmh, this keeps reminding me of the early tv situation. What's with some Superbowl and tv programs lost to time. So much waste. One might say that it's an entirely different matter because we are speaking about tv programs from the 50's/60's (to my knowledge)... maybe not so different if we adopt another angle.
Maybe the right angle is money, more accurately the moment when a company understands that it can make money with its old products.
Before that I fear that, without mocking my hobby or that of someone else, the thing is viewed as a worthless toy, film, etc, just taking space. When the company realizes that it is indeed worth something, it become suddenly more aware on the preservation front.
Just surprising that when the times were 'darker' for preservation, we did not have mad individuals fighting the good fight and keeping these 'worthless' things. But after all I don't know, maybe old assets and tv programs were too difficult to preserve for a simple individual.

I liked it in the beginning, but it gets repetitive

Don't tell me. I'm in the strange mood of replaying it in glorious hd, but really, all I can recall of that game is turning fucking cranks. Cranks everywhere. A little fight here and there, some hike, and a metric shit ton of cranks to turn.

nexen

Mmh, this keeps reminding me of the early tv situation. What's with some Superbowl and tv programs lost to time. So much waste. One might say that it's an entirely different matter because we are speaking about tv programs from the 50's/60's (to my knowledge)... maybe not so different if we adopt another angle.
Maybe the right angle is money, more accurately the moment when a company understands that it can make money with its old products.
Before that I fear that, without mocking my hobby or that of someone else, the thing is viewed as a worthless toy, film, etc, just taking space. When the company realizes that it is indeed worth something, it become suddenly more aware on the preservation front.
Just surprising that when the times were 'darker' for preservation, we did not have mad individuals fighting the good fight and keeping these 'worthless' things. But after all I don't know, maybe old assets and tv programs were too difficult to preserve for a simple individual.

This reminds me that the source code to almost every Ultima is lost, and then I become sad again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I am so cheap. Stared at the Penumbra collection for like half an hour last night and didn't end up buying. Trying my hardest not to buy Outlast because I want to play it on PS4 eventually, but damn it's tempting.
What are the benefits of waiting to play it on PS4 exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom