• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you have a pretty good laptop. I think it is being designed to max out the consoles, so that would imply a pretty decent laptop is needed. They may have options to scale it back though...
It was good for 2011 standards

Intel i7 sandybridge @ 2.something
8GB RAM
Nvidia GT550M with 2GB DDR3 RAM
etc.

But I'm considering buying a new rig to stay at home during next year, so I'm not so worried with that for now.

And let me guess, you are going to get in Physical form, correct? ;)
Indeed I will ;)

it's interesting because their quote makes it sound like they don't realize that Steamworks DRM is optional. Witcher and Witcher 2 seem to both use it

Are games that don't use Steamworks DRM but are still sold through Steam capable of being downloaded once and then reinstalled on another computer without using Steam? Things like Kings Quest don't count.

Derrick01

Banned
Actually I find them to broadly match my own impressions, so...

They had strike 1 back when they called New Vegas a lazy rehash (I'm paraphrasing). Then their ridiculous praise of bad games like Skyrim and Far Cry 3 (which I believe was their goty) was strike 2. Strike 3 was calling Dishonored the best stealth game since Thief 2, perhaps their most egregious error ever.

I'm sure there's been a lot more in between those and since then but...well I don't read them anymore so I wouldn't know.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Spooky!!!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:
- You must play this game tomorrow on Halloween!

header_292x136.jpg

Huntsman The Orphanage -- MB-EAF70111411AE0D3 - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon

JakeD

Are games that don't use Steamworks DRM but are still sold through Steam capable of being downloaded once and then reinstalled on another computer without using Steam? Things like Kings Quest don't count.

in theory, yes. i only say in theory because i've never personally tried it.

Dolor

It was good for 2011 standards

Intel i7 sandybridge @ 2.something
8GB RAM
Nvidia GT550M with 2GB DDR3 RAM
etc.

But I'm considering buying a new rig to stay at home during next year, so I'm not so worried with that for now.

Well, I would bet that will play it - likely not maxed out - but at reduced IQ and resolution I would guess.

The_Monk

Yesterday night I was so tired I couldn't do anything at all so I just decided to see what was on TV before going to bed. I really sleepy, the Channel was on Syfy and it was airing a movie called "Ewoks the battle for endor" or something similar. Then, out of nowhere I think I saw Gabe in it. He was living with some sort of monkey in a house.

Dolor

was anyone thinking it wasn't gonna be?

There's always the risk that some dev/publisher thinks they are so big they don't need Steam anymore. See: EA, Guild Wars 2, WoT, LoL, Blizzard, etc.

At some point, I would think that the sheer size of Steam's userbase would make these questions redundant, but it didn't happen when they were at 50M users, maybe it will start to happen at 65M.

Alien8

Alice Madness price in Europe is annoying, to say the least...

2acSuxF.jpg

After 2 years is still 12,50 € with 75% off, whereas in the US store is $5.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Whoa, I didn't think I'd get it. Thanks! I love scary games!

No problem, enjoy! :)

I have one more copy of Huntsman I'll be giving away tomorrow but this last one will be a raffle. The game should also be seeing a huge update tomorrow, according to the devs.

Dr Dogg

Everyone should know not to read RPS reviews by now.

Quins', Meer's and Rossignol's Wot I Think's were always good impressions, Walker's for the non player perspective and the round tables they used to do in the early days we're a good balance of differing tastes but since they got big and let Smith, Grayson et al do them they have lost some of the spark they used to have.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I've played a bit of the game. Steam says I've about two hours into it but I've restarted a couple of times since I wanted to start things off a little differently as I gained a stronger grasp of how the character upgrade system works. It's not much, but I recently posted a very quick summary:

With regard to the combat, in addition to melee weapons, ranged weapons and spells, you can also parry and roll/dodge. The latter isn't as quick as I'd like it to be and consequently feels more like window dressing rather than a mechanic you're encouraged to employ.

Virtually nothing has unfolded from a narrative perspective as I'm still in the first dungeon.

Cool, thanks for your impressions. Would love to hear what the quality of the storytelling is like when you're further in.

Quins', Meer's and Rossignol's Wot I Think's were always good impressions, Walker's for the non player perspective and the round tables they used to do in the early days we're a good balance of differing tastes but since they got big and let Smith, Grayson et al do them they have lost some of the spark they used to have.

Which Smith are you talking about? There have been like 3 of them featured on RPS :p

Thorgal

You are. I don't know how it passed so many people by, Harlan Ellison is a semi famous writer and all.

Yeah i knew of this game for years Although i am not so familiar with Harlan's work I was already intrigued when i first saw the intro of this game on YouTube years ago but Had no way of playing it .

Now with steam and DOSbox i can finally enjoy this gem for myself.

jshackles

So I knew it was a long shot but this is what I got back from Steam support regarding my fiasco with my retail copy of Top Gun:

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Retail copies and other digital versions of this game cannot be registered through Steam. If you wish to create a shortcut to this game in your Library list, instructions can be found here:

Title: Adding non-Steam games to the Library tab
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

Oh well, I guess.

Joe Molotov

So I knew it was a long shot but this is what I got back from Steam support regarding my fiasco with my retail copy of Top Gun:

Oh well, I guess.

From the instruction manual, it sounded like the game used Steam for MP, but didn't actually register on Steam. It said something like "Make sure you have Steam.exe running the background in order to access multiplayer and leaderboard, otherwise the game will crash." The game has been removed from Steam and the servers are no longer active tho, otherwise me and you could play a few rounds, haha.

They had strike 1 back when they called New Vegas a lazy rehash (I'm paraphrasing). Then their ridiculous praise of bad games like Skyrim and Far Cry 3 (which I believe was their goty) was strike 2. Strike 3 was calling Dishonored the best stealth game since Thief 2, perhaps their most egregious error ever.

I'm sure there's been a lot more in between those and since then but...well I don't read them anymore so I wouldn't know.

But every single outlet thought that Skyrim and Far Cry 3 was sent down from the heavens by lord Gaben himself, so it's hard to criticize them too much for that, even then, they were fairly decent games. New Vegas was arguably a rehash, it was just a good rehash, and Dishonoured was a pretty damn good game tape.

Valdis Story released, you gotta stop this Gaben I can't keep up.

Typing of the Dead is tons of fun, didn't really got into it at first but I really like it. G and Isaac, dat bromance.
I'm also genuinly surprised by the quality of the OST.

jshackles

From the instruction manual, it sounded like the game used Steam for MP, but didn't actually register on Steam. It said something like "Make sure you have Steam.exe running the background in order to access multiplayer and leaderboard, otherwise the game will crash." The game has been removed from Steam and the servers are no longer active tho, otherwise me and you could play a few rounds, haha.

Strangely, the installation of Top Gun required me to sign in to Steam (at which point I thought it would add it to my account) but didn't appear to do anything. When the game launches it has a VERY old Steam Overlay DLL (it's green, not black) and after the Steam message pops up in the bottom right corner of the screen, the game crashes.

So not only can I not play multiplayer, I can't play at all.
And I wanted to be Maverick

Turfster

For Far Cry 3, they also had like 10 articles about all the shit Ubi pulled and the stupid choices that had been made during game design. They don't really do GOTY, they do a random list of "well, these were fun games this year" and I'm pretty sure FC3 wasn't on it.

Dishonored being the best stealth game since Thief 2 is uh... sadly kinda accurate, isn't it?
What would you nominate in its place?

Omikron

Opinion based business is a funny thing really.

Vibranium

Banned
Man I'm super happy for Amazon.com online codes, glad I waited to get TWD 400 Days DLC for cheap. Screw Amazon.ca, whoever runs the gaming section in Canada needs to be fired.

I'm about to start my playthrough of the chapter.

The_Monk

Man I'm super happy for Amazon.com online codes, glad I waited to get TWD 400 Days DLC for cheap. Screw Amazon.ca, whoever runs the gaming section in Canada needs to be fired.

I'm about to start my playthrough of the chapter.

It will be a short experience, but I liked it, can't wait for more TWD to be honest. Season 2 is coming but I might just wait for all Episodes to be released.

Derrick01

Banned
But every single outlet thought that Skyrim and Far Cry 3 was sent down from the heavens by lord Gaben himself, so it's hard to criticize them too much for that, even then, they were fairly decent games. New Vegas was arguably a rehash, it was just a good rehash, and Dishonoured was a pretty damn good game tape.

That's precisely why you shouldn't read any media reviews, they're almost universally garbage and can't judge broken games correctly. Whether new vegas was a rehash or not they meant the game itself was bad, they weren't just calling it out for its samey-ness to F3.

For Far Cry 3, they also had like 10 articles about all the shit Ubi pulled and the stupid choices that had been made during game design. They don't really do GOTY, they do a random list of "well, these were fun games this year" and I'm pretty sure FC3 wasn't on it.

Dishonored being the best stealth game since Thief 2 is uh... sadly kinda accurate, isn't it?
What would you nominate in its place?

The splinter cells and at least some hitmans as well as other games all came out after Thief 2. Dishonored doesn't deserve to be called best anything when it comes to stealth. It's an action game designed to be bloody and violent first and foremost.

Turfster

Mark of the Ninja?

While I agree that MotN was a better stealth game, it was also 2D and not 3D.
Guess I should have specified that.
The splinter cells and at least some hitmans as well as other games all came out after Thief 2. Dishonored doesn't deserve to be called best anything when it comes to stealth. It's an action game designed to be bloody and violent first and foremost.
Funny, since I never killed people in bloody and violent ways in Dishonored, but I had to straight up murder dudes in bloody and violent ways in the Hitmans I played. I didn't play Splinter Cell long because the one I played was like a "modern" manshoot FPS. "Oh, you didn't do exactly what we wanted you to do? Well, now all the guards are alerted, game over." Never went back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom