• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The splinter cells and at least some hitmans as well as other games all came out after Thief 2. Dishonored doesn't deserve to be called best anything when it comes to stealth. It's an action game designed to be bloody and violent first and foremost.

Jeez, I played Dishonored totally wrong.

Thorgal

I've been wondering .The next gen consoles allow you to play games when a certain amount of data is installed .

Do you think it is possible that steam could do something likewise like start the game when 30 - 40% of the Game is downloaded .

Would this be possible ?

Bought Europa Universalis IV, cos fuck it, I can't wait for a sale. Watch there be a Paradox sale this weekend or the next. Also picked up The Swapper, The Legacy of Kain Collection and Castlevania: Lord of Shadows Ultimate Edition. I will now attempt to ignore the store page for the rest of the Halloween sale.

Everyone should know not to read RPS reviews by now.

That Adam Smith's Wot I Think for Batman Arkham Origins isn't far off the mark. Calling it Batman Arkham Continues is pretty damned appropriate. That RPS review is not as harsh as Destructoid's review, which I think is articulate and well argued about why they think it's such a soulless and lazy cash-in (even if I don't completely agree), but it's treading similar territory as most other reviews and opinions I've read. If I hadn't received Arkham Origin for free I would probably be a lot more critical if I had shelled out 60$ for it.

Mechanically and design-wise, Arkham Origin offers nothing new other than its world design being even further removed from Arkham Asylum's tight inter-connected world (which I don't think is a good thing, had similar issues with City's world design) and closer to that of a true open world game.The problem is Origin's Gotham City is empty, it's devoid of a population without as good an explanation as Arkham City. Also the larger scale of Arkham Origin's open world is only possible because of the massive asset re-use from City. There's even a bit of Ubisoft-itis in Arkham Origins open world design. You have to capture specific control points throughout Gotham City in order to open up fast travel access points and see certain ope world objectives on the map. There are even rooftop guards sprinkled throughout, which City kinda had but Origins increases the amount dramatically. The open world activities are dull and kind of lazy. They re-hashed a lot of the optional activities from Arkham City and have done a worse job of it.

I've literally just rolled off of finishing Arkham City and gone into playing Arkham Origins. I haven't noticed any significant differences in the combat system behaving differently or worse, the way some have remarked. I haven't encountered any issues or bugs other than some weird navigation ones in the open world. Literally all Origin has to draw people in is the strength of its fanservice story and boss encounters. Which, again, some people don't think WB Montreal is as good as Rocksteady at doing. I've enjoyed my time with the game in that regard, the Electrocutioner boss fight made me laugh and the Deathstroke one was pretty badass. Even though I've mostly enjoyed my time with Origins, I'm not really compelled to play it the way I was Asylum and City.

Turfster

I've been wondering .The next gen consoles allow you to play games when a certain amount of data is installed .

Do you think it is possible that steam could do something likewise like start the game when 30 - 40% of the Game is downloaded .

Would this be possible ?
Everything is possible.
It would just necessitate a mind shift in how game data is organised, maybe going back to the PS2 style "everthing a level needs is packed with it for faster loading, even if that means some assets like the player model are duplicated 10 times" organisation style instead of the more usual "let's dump everything in one big file" that's prevalent these days.

Derrick01

Banned
Jeez, I played Dishonored totally wrong.

You didn't play it wrong, you just played it the way the devs didn't really want you to. They wanted you to slow/stop time and blink all over the area slicing guys up. The stealth was way too mechanically basic and made even simpler with that awful blink ability.

Vibranium

Banned
It will be a short experience, but I liked it, can't wait for more TWD to be honest. Season 2 is coming but I might just wait for all Episodes to be released.

Thank you for the heads-up kind Monk, I'm sure I'll enjoy the new characters a lot with a short-but sweet experience.

As for Season 2 I plan on probably waiting as well, for me it's much better to be able rush through every moment at once hehe.

You didn't play it wrong, you just played it the way the devs didn't really want you to. They wanted you to slow/stop time and blink all over the area slicing guys up. The stealth was way too mechanically basic and made even simpler with that awful blink ability.

I tried playing without blink to test the game stealth without any powers...ugh. I hate how the ending corresponds to how many people you kill when the real meat of the game is to go all out in combat with the powers. Arkane can't make fun stealth yet set restrictions if you want to abandon that and go lethal. It's bad design and with the sequel they should either scrap the Chaos system or rework it greatly.

Khronico

Dishonored being the best stealth game since Thief 2 is uh... sadly kinda accurate, isn't it? What would you nominate in its place?

Although I enjoyed Dishonored, it's definitely nowhere close to being 'the best stealth game since Thief 2'. Chaos Theory and Blood Money would fit that title far better.

Yeah, it's really hard to think of Dishonoured as good stealth when you can just teleport all over. Sure, it's stealthy, but it's also kind of braindead.

The_Monk

I tried to play Dishonored totally stealth and had little fun until I decided to just go all out and use the powers. So much more fun for me.

For those who like the game I think that playing the game twice is the best to be honest. One Stealth run and one all-guns/powers run. I remember some GAFfers doing that. I played mostly stealth on the PS3 back in the day and it was fun (no kills, no alerts, etc) but in the end I just went for a more aggressive style to check some of the powers.

The_Monk

Thank you for the heads-up kind Monk, I'm sure I'll enjoy the new characters a lot with a short-but sweet experience.

As for Season 2 I plan on probably waiting as well, for me it's much better to be able rush through every moment at once hehe.

Feel free to post some impressions later on if you can fellow GAFfer, I'm always curious to see them. :)

I as for the Season 2 I just hope that any problems regarding the Save Files can be fixed by now.

EDIT: Ah sorry for the double post everyone, I was expecting the thread to move faster!

Turfster

Although I enjoyed Dishonored, it's definitely nowhere close to being 'the best stealth game since Thief 2'. Chaos Theory and Blood Money would fit that title far better.
I wanted to love Blood Money, really, but the glitchiness really irked me.

Chaos Theory
Guess I should go back to the series and just ignore the shitty first ones... or ignore the shitty later ones?
Did the Steam version get retrofitted with Uplay?

fantomena

Holy shit, Typing of the Dead is fucking awesome. Bought it from GMG using the 20% code because of the acclaims it has gotten from you SteamGAF.

Vitacat

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the Halloween sale offerings.

Can I get some recommendations? What games on that list are top tier, i.e. I'd be crazy not to buy them for cheap?

Note, I already played Sleeping Dogs on PS3, already own most of the Deep Space games (except for #2), have Limbo, Darksiders, Dead Rising 2 on PC, and Orcs Must Die 1 on 360.

Is Orcs Must Die 2 very good; I liked the first one on 360.

Is Sleeping Dogs worth double dipping on PC? And how about that Nightmare in North Point DLC? Is that any good?

So far considering the Alan Wake bundle (never played an of them), Typing of the Dead (was fun on DC), and the Left 4 Dead bundle (rented the 1st one way back and it was pretty fun).

Also, are any of the indie games there fully playable with an arcade stick? If so, which ones are good? Odd question I guess...

Grief.exe

So far considering the Alan Wake bundle (never played an of them), Typing of the Dead (was fun on DC), and the Left 4 Dead bundle (rented the 1st one way back and it was pretty fun).

Yes

L4D1 is dead at this point and redundant due to all of the maps beeing ported into L4D2.

okayfrog

Banned
Is Sleeping Dogs worth double dipping on PC? And how about that Nightmare in North Point DLC? Is that any good?

Sleeping Dogs on the PC is the same game as it is on console. Nightmare on North Point is not worth buying the game over again, imo.

Typing of the Dead is just as fun as the Dreamcast version, but it's also the same type of game. Only pick it up if you're okay with more of the same. No reason to pick up L4D1 (other than having it in your collection), so only pick up L4D2.

I liked the "stealthy" gameplay (as in, hide and blink everywhere) much more than most of the fighting. I didn't need the depth of, say, Thief to be enjoyable. I'd rather have something very basic like Dishonored than the clusterfuck that was Hitman: Absolution.

mannerbot

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the Halloween sale offerings.

Can I get some recommendations? What games on that list are top tier, i.e. I'd be crazy not to buy them for cheap?

Also, are any of the indie games there fully playable with an arcade stick? If so, which ones are good? Odd question I guess...

Spelunky isn't part of the Halloween sale, but it is 50% off right now as part of the Midweek Madness sale. You should buy it! Probably playable with an arcade stick if you're using to playing platformers with one.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-24-games-of-the-generation-spelunky

Dr Dogg

Does GMG have a 20% off most games coupon? I can see the 25% off, but that's only select games.

They mix them up most of the time. The 20% off one is a rotating one but I guess they went with the 25% off selected titles as they have/had a sale on (plus Europe got dicked out of the BF4 discount as well). They usually post voucher codes on Twitter when they update them.

Acccent

I'd like to thank everyone who's done what they could to help The_Monk, and I can guarantee that he's extremely grateful as well. (Two days left.)

(If this post makes no sense to you, just ignore it :p)

okayfrog

Banned
I know I'm gonna sound entitled for saying this, but I still wish that F.E.A.R. 2 and its DLC would become cheaper. I bought F.E.A.R. last year for $2.50 and the second one was $3.74 and its DLC was $2.50. A couple sales later and its still the same price. C'mon, drop, drop, drop...

Copons

I'd like to thank everyone who's done what they could to help The_Monk, and I can guarantee that he's extremely grateful as well. (Two days left.)

Shi.......
Completely forgotten but TOMORROW!

MRORANGE

Sleeping Dogs on the PC is the same game as it is on console. Nightmare on North Point is not worth buying the game over again, imo.

Nope.

Advanced PC Features

Nvidia 3D Support
Nvidia Multi Screen Monitor Support
AMD EyeFinity Multi-Monitor Gold Status Support
Window and Full Screen Mode Support
Benchmark Mode

DirectX11 Specific Features

Contact hardening shadows
HD-AO
Use of Direct Compute

Performance Enhancements

Enhanced Performance on Dual Core and Quad Core Processors
Enhanced Performance on Nvidia SLi
Enhanced Performance on AMD Crossfire

Mouse, Keyboard, and Controller Support

Xbox360 Controller Support
Keyboard and Mouse Support including Key Remapping
Auto Pad, Mouse and Keyboard Switching

Advanced PC Graphic Features

Increased Small Object Detail
High Resolution Texture Support
High Resolution Shadows
High Quality Shadow Filters
Soft Particles
High Quality SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion)
High Quality Motion Blur
Super Sample Anti-Aliasing

aLUFfuG.jpg

Nope.

Advanced PC Features

Nvidia 3D Support
Benchmark Mode

HD-AO
Use of Direct Compute

Performance Enhancements

High Resolution Shadows
Soft Particles
High Quality Motion Blur

aLUFfuG.jpg

owned

Slowly playing through 'A New Beginning'. It's pretty boring, but thankfully it contains some of the WORST voice acting ever. If it didn't have that going for it, which gives it a real special charm, I think I'd have given up on it and just let it rot away.

3 hours in, but I fell asleep for 20 minutes at one point.

It's a total Eco-Warrior Greenpeace Al Gore protest speech of a game. We need to save the planet before it's too late.

okayfrog

Banned
Nope.

Advanced PC Features

Nvidia 3D Support
Benchmark Mode

HD-AO
Use of Direct Compute

Performance Enhancements

High Resolution Shadows
Soft Particles
High Quality Motion Blur

aLUFfuG.jpg

Guess I need to be more specific here in the future when I say that something's the same. You can list all that, but to me, it's still the same game. Nicer graphics and more control options don't make it a different game, imo, and for the most part, it's to be expected of a PC version.
EDIT: I played through the PC version, btw.

Turfster

Slowly playing through 'A New Beginning'. It's pretty boring, but thankfully it contains some of the WORST voice acting ever. If it didn't have that going for it, which gives it a real special charm, I think I'd have given up on it and just let it rot away.

3 hours in, but I fell asleep for 20 minutes at one point.

It's a total Eco-Warrior Greenpeace Al Gore protest speech of a game. We need to save the planet before it's too late.

I gave up on that after I finished the first chapter thing, and it was a total chore to even get that far.
The voice acting is ridiculously bad, the writing is so-so in between hitting you with a 10 ton ecology hammer and the puzzles are pretty badly constructed.

Guess I need to be more specific here in the future when I say that something's the same. You can list all that, but to me, it's still the same game. Nicer graphics and more control options don't make it a different game, imo, and for the most part, it's to be expected of a PC version.
Oh, if only that were true...

Grief.exe

That is the majority of multiplatform releases then, are we supposed to just give up and play those on console?
It seems many people are doing the opposite.

Freezard

L4D1 is fundamentally different to L4D2 though even if the content exists in the sequel. The weapon handling is more realistic in L4D2, common infected come in larger groups and there are way more weapons and two new special infected plus all different characters. Not to mention that pretty much all of the shortcuts of the L4D1 maps in L4D2 have been fixed so there's only one way to go at all times. Personally I can't stand playing L4D2, I prefer the more arcady weapon feeling of L4D1 and the original characters. Sometimes less is more, and this is definitely the case here.

Oh if you're planning to play a lot of online versus then go for L4D2 since I believe L4D1 is dead, I'm only playing campaign mode/speedrunning with friends anyway.

take it

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Fractal -- MB-91EF77304AD8D143 - Taken by woo and indeed hoo

Yes

L4D1 is dead at this point and redundant due to all of the maps beeing ported into L4D2.

I may have asked this before so please forgive me if I did but are the L4Dead games worth playing in single player at all? I saw them listed in the sale and that there is a single player mode but I had always been under the impression that they were multiplayer co-op focused. I've not played either of them and was pondering picking them up whilst they're cheap you see.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Nope, none at all. If anyone else wishes to have no idea what you're talking about too then they should PM me so I can reveal everything I don't know.

MRORANGE

The question on hand by vitacat was Sleeping Dogs worth double dipping on PC, I listed a bunch of features that showcased the differences. If we stopped talking about graphical fidelity in PC games then we might as well just the 360 version for everything.

Honestly if you asked any gaffer on what version a game such as Bayonetta, Battlefield 4, COD:Ghots, FXIII.... etc* they would point to version that offered the best visuals and frame-rates, minute things like this make games stand apart from their counterparts.

Copons

L4D1 is fundamentally different to L4D2 though even if the content exists in the sequel. The weapon handling is more realistic in L4D2, common infected come in larger groups and there are way more weapons and two new special infected plus all different characters. Not to mention that pretty much all of the shortcuts of the L4D1 maps in L4D2 have been fixed so there's only one way to go at all times. Personally I can't stand playing L4D2, I prefer the more arcady weapon feeling of L4D1 and the original characters. Sometimes less is more, and this is definitely the case here.

Oh if you're planning to play a lot of online versus then go for L4D2 since I believe L4D1 is dead, I'm only playing campaign mode/speedrunning with friends anyway.

Well, when you play L4D1 maps in L4D2 you can use only the original characters, so at least that should be fine for you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom