• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
Have nuuvem locked their site to international purchases? Titanfall is only £27 on there but keep getting this game is not available in your region

AkuMifune

Banned
Someone ready a gif of Christian Bale destroying a robot.

tumblr_m6qzw55IkR1qe0ig6o1_r2_500.gif

Have nuuvem locked their site to international purchases? Titanfall is only £27 on there but keep getting this game is not available in your region

For Origin games you need to use a VPN/proxy to buy. I did it for FIFA and it activated without the need for a VPN once I got my key.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When will modbot start using the Steam API to redeem our won keys so we don't have to go through those minor eruptions when people win keys for friends/relatives? :)

That's...

... uh...

hmmm wow.

If anyone can point me to API documentation and it's allowed for Steam to let me do this, then I can actually do this.

what the shit is superfrog

i just bought the alien breeds collection the other day...but it was for $3.50, so i don't mind, i wouldn't really want to spend an extra 1.50 for another worms game anyway

We'll have to see how this pans out during a big bundle, like a Humble Indie Bundle, or something.

Because now that the free ride is over, the people who just grab spare keys instead of actually buying the bundle they're interested in will have to actually buy the bundle they're interested in.

or not buy them at all. You know how cheap some people are here haha. It will be interesting how their numbers change.

Colin.

Happy Halloween all. Rather than letting them rot for all eternity in my unused key file, I thought they would be put to better use by you guys. They should all redeem fine, but if there is somehow any problems, let me know.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Thomas Was Alone -- MB-2110AF15A4BBFBBB - Taken by random. 3 entrants total.
Mcpixel -- MB-397B35C06FDE68FA - Taken by Accoun. 2 entrants total.
The Showdown Effect -- MB-C78997CA87962256 - Taken by Boss Doggie. 2 entrants total.
Ether Vapor -- MB-5F4EDFA4338F1850 - Taken by tineladia. 8 entrants total.
The Walking Dead -- MB-2DB73FF71EF5B0BD - Taken by Tellaerin. 17 entrants total.

t1383256911z1.png

Melted77

Good thing is this is not retroactive but to be on the safe side I went and revealed all unclaimed keys from my Humble Bundle account.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That's...

... uh...

hmmm wow.

If anyone can point me to API documentation and it's allowed for Steam to let me do this, then I can actually do this.

Hell, you could even create a database with everybody's Steam profile and prevent people that already have the game from winning the raffle. Pick a winner, check if he already has the game. He does? Pick another winner.

Joe Molotov

Hell, you could even create a database with everybody's Steam profile and prevent people that already have the game from winning the raffle. Pick a winner, check if he already has the game. He does? Pick another winner.

Or just give the game away to someone randomly that doesn't own the game and automatically redeem it on their account, eliminating the need for a time consuming raffle completely.

Said everybody when they played this game for the first time.

Give it some time. I'm old. I've been playing games for many years. I like to say I was a Pong Beta tester :D Dota 2 is without a single doubt the best multiplayer game I've ever played.

I haven't been keeping up with the thread, though Saw finally went through for me, in the event you havn't scored yet.

louiedog

Or if that's too much, know which keys have and have not been redeemed after X amount of time and make them available again. If someone wins something they have and can't redeem it someone may eventually get another shot at it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
How about this: just give me the games and I'll do what ya'll should have done 10 minutes ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The real trouble with trying to do too much stuff like this is that it's difficult to maintain the flexibility of having people input stuff in the format they want (and through GAF's PM system rather than a website) and being too rigorous with the data.

Like if I do a giveaway that says "Sants Row the 3rd", or even something like "DOOM 3 (and Expansions!)", it's very very hard to massage those inputs into data I can check against Steam. If Steam had an API that let me input a key or gift URL and view what the game is without redeeming it, I'd be able to do a whole lot more.

Also my hope is that this community is friendly and cooperative that I don't need to spend too much time writing code to audit people. It's about friendship!

Salsa

I had a job interview a couple days ago, found out yesterday I got it and I started a really boring desk job today working tech service for Target (yes, US target, but from urgay) but with a crazy salary cause I got that cool english degree. I'll probably work it 2 months to get some money to spend in the summer (starting january)

why is this relevant: I have like 1 hour a day to play all these steam games I recently bought now. uh

Dec

I took a Limbo key for my wife a couple months ago. I'm sorry I betrayed you GAF. :(

But she has a GAF account so she could have got it herself, since no one ever took limbo keys, she just never comes on the gaming side.

Twinduct

Now we only need Desura, Indie Royale & Indie Game Stand added to the api.
And have games that get greenlit automatically be added to your account! Rejoice!

Martian

So I purchased ANNO 1404 retail today, which is a physical copy. Is there any chance I can redeem it on Steam? Or am I doomed to use the DVD?

Oh sweet the Lone Survivor Director's Cut version came out on Steam as free dlc for people who already own the game. I really need to finish it now :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's...

... uh...

hmmm wow.

As far as I am aware, this is something that Humble must have set up with Valve specifically, as there is no API (that's public) to make it happen.

However, if you wanted to verify that the winner of a raffle didn't already own the game they were winning, you could use the GetOwnedGames method of the web API that can return a list of apps a particular user owns.

Of course, this API requires that you have the Steam64 ID of the user in question, and that their profile be public. And you'd have to have modbot know the appid of what is being given away. So basically, you could turn modbot into SteamGifts (no thanks!)

nexen

I took a Limbo key for my wife a couple months ago. I'm sorry I betrayed you GAF. :(

But she has a GAF account so she could have got it herself, since no one ever took limbo keys, she just never comes on the gaming side.

To think I used to like you.

Yup, all separate keys! Edit: What the hell is this, it now activates directly onto your account, one at a time. I don't like this.

what's not to like? it's easier and faster. only screws over people who sell/give keys to friends; which is a stupid premise anyway, as anyone who can't throw a dollar or $6 for a pile of games might as well just go pirate them anyway.

i'm for the change.

rtcn63

I'm fairly new, but I believe there's an unwritten rule that if gifting a steam key gets you laid, it's allowed.

Phinor

Got an email that Gamefly is discontinuing their client, moving all the features into their website. One bad client down.

That client was introduced just about year ago with free Bioshock. That must be one of the fastest client deaths so far. Too bad GFWL took so long.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As far as I am aware, this is something that Humble must have set up with Valve specifically, as there is no API (that's public) to make it happen.

However, if you wanted to verify that the winner of a raffle didn't already own the game they were winning, you could use the GetOwnedGames method of the web API that can return a list of apps a particular user owns.

Of course, this API requires that you have the Steam64 ID of the user in question, and that their profile be public.

I have some format concerns, see above, but yeah I did know that this was an option for me.

While I have you here and we're discussing code, no rush but I noticed that the "highlight games I own" works with the Hallowe'en sale page, but the "hide games I own" doesn't. I know the design is probably a one-off so you don't want to update the code just to deal with it, but I wonder if there might be a more generalized way of hiding that would work for both? Like, when you flag something with es_highlight_owned class and set display:none, maybe check and if the parent node is class="item", apply display:none to that too?

So there's no new additions to the Halloween sale.... this is sad, I was expecting to see Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and Castle of Illusion...

Colin.

what's not to like? it's easier and faster. only screws over people who sell/give keys to friends; which is a stupid premise anyway, as anyone who can't throw a dollar or $6 for a pile of games might as well just go pirate them anyway.

i'm for the change.

It's a mixed bag I suppose. On the one hand it saves time, as it is considerably faster than entering every single code. But if you already own some of the games by buying it separately, or through another bundle then no one would be able to make use of those keys.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
New Humble Team17 Bundle!!

Pay $1 or more
Worms Crazy Golf, !

I'll buy that for a dollar.

Today is my birthday, so have some fun on my behalf:

I don't wish for anything in that giveway, just wishing a happy birthday!

Just scanned the newest Greenlight list and I hadn't realized Sokobond didn't make the cut. What the fuck? Go vote, please: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99301621.

It scratches the same itch as SpaceChem, but it's a little more elegant. Here are a couple reviews:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-16-sokobond-review
http://m.edge-online.com/review/sokobond-review/

While I enjoyed SpaceChem, this is far closer to what I actually wanted in element puzzle solving. Thank you for sharing it, I made sure to vote for it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have some format concerns, see above, but yeah I did know that this was an option for me.

While I have you here and we're discussing code, no rush but I noticed that the "highlight games I own" works with the Hallowe'en sale page, but the "hide games I own" doesn't. I know the design is probably a one-off so you don't want to update the code just to deal with it, but I wonder if there might be a more generalized way of hiding that would work for both? Like, when you flag something with es_highlight_owned class and set display:none, maybe check and if the parent node is class="item", apply display:none to that too?

Yeah I was actually working on just that this morning. Obviously it won't be done in time for the Halloween sale to end, but I'm meshing those functions together so that anything that's highlighted can also be hidden when the "Hide games I own" option is checked.

From a design standpoint it strikes me as odd that they decided to just plaster the entire page with boxes for games and (basically) nothing else.

Sendou

I just recently hooked up my PC on big screen and is it just me or is text in some games really small. Playing something like Renegade Ops running at 1080p is a real challenge in this sense and I'd like to think my eye sight is okay.

Bah, I hope this new Humble Bundle redemption system isn't permanent

It probably is. Hopefully some indies can still decide for using separate keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom