• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

Freezard

Sweet! Got none of the Worms games, wanted to buy Reloaded for a while now but it's not included unfortunately. Can't complain though!

Tecl0n

2WWEV6z.jpg

the fuck...?

Terra_Ex

I notice there's a button to "unlink" your steam account on your humble purchase page, maybe you can unlink and give the non-redeemed games to someone else. Seems unlikely though and I'm too scared to click it. Shitty move on humble's part anyway.

Tagyhag

The new Humble Bundle way thankfully doesn't bother me since I never get any as gifts but it's honestly a pretty bad move on their part. I don't see why it has to be done.

Zia

The new Steam redemption method would be fine if they went back to the BTA system. Moving farther and farther away from the "spirit" of the Humble bundles...

Tecl0n

I just realized X:Rebirth is RU locked, as much as i like the series i don't wanna shell out $50...
Crossing fingers for nuuvem.

erila

Neo Member
How will this work for buying gifts to give away later? Do they still let you buy a gift copy and then the recipient clicks a link to get their own "link to steam" thing, or is gifting dead now?

Edit - I see the "This is a gift" option is still there. Phew.

Cheddahz

Banned
NBA 2K14 is $20 right now Amazon ($15 if you have the coupon that got emailed like crazy). I'm debating if I should bite the bullet (I have almost 300 hours in 2K13)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The new Humble Bundle way thankfully doesn't bother me since I never get any as gifts but it's honestly a pretty bad move on their part. I don't see why it has to be done.

It does improve the experience for their primary customers of people who are buying these game for themselves, though. I just did it and in the span of how long it would take for me to enter one key, I have all the games on my account.

Now, I know we have a lot of generous people in here, but let's face facts: we also have a lot of moochers. We have people here who never buy Humble Bundles and just wait for the excess keys to be given away. Is there anything inherently wrong with that? That's a personal morality question. Is there any reason why Humble might not like that? That's a business decision.

So effectively, if you already own a game, screw buying the entire bundle?

I don't see why they owe you a game to give away, though. If you feel that strongly about it you can always adjust your payment accordingly (if it isn't in the BTA).

Martian

This is probably to prevent resale of games right?

Still a dick move to pull as I for one dont have a way to buy those bundles anyway

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm a little curious, which was the original spirit of hb?

The original spirit was that everyone should be able to play the games without barriers. The first HIB had absolutely no authentication at all--you could openly download all the games for free, the URLs were not protected. All the games were open-sourced. All games were on every OS. And it was truly pay what you want, $0.01+. And I believe they also commented that for people who were, say, too young to have access to payment options they'd do everything they can to expand payment options and make it possible for everyone. And it was not being done to make a profit, but rather to bring exposure to under-exposed indie games. It was very much an underdog setup.

With increasingly regressive BTAs, forced minimum BTAs, the idiotic global BTA change, fewer DRM-free options, fewer OS options, no more source code, minimum payments for Steam keys, moving towards working with big publishers, making bundles that don't even contain good games and no real attempt to quality control, and now no ability to share keys that vision has been significantly curbed.

Some of these moves are consequences of various external factors, but most of them--and certainly the aggregate impact--has been a move towards making a profitable business. This is likely a result of the business development requirements forced on them by the venture capital they accepted to grow the service.

It's fine. They should just rename the service Bundle Store. It's not Indie as a rule, and it's certainly not Humble. That's fine.

louiedog

My only problem with the new Humble redemption system is that there's no longer any reason for Humble specific key bundles which means no more leaks in the database.

Tellaerin

Maybe they're trying to block key resellers from stockpiling keys to resell after the bundles end. If that's the reasoning, I can understand it, but I don't necessarily like it. I think it hurts legitimate buyers more than the resellers.

rtcn63

NBA 2K14 is $20 right now Amazon ($15 if you have the coupon that got emailed like crazy). I'm debating if I should bite the bullet (I have almost 300 hours in 2K13)

I've read that the PC version is a port of current-gen, so... not great. Could be wrong.

Derrick01

Banned
I've read that the PC version is a port of current-gen, so... not great. Could be wrong.

NBA 2k games on PC are always really lazy ports. They're basically just direct ports of the console game with a couple of minor options tacked on.

If you want the real next gen NBA it looks like you're going to be better off getting the PS4 version in a couple weeks.

Tagyhag

It does improve the experience for their primary customers of people who are buying these game for themselves, though. I just did it and in the span of how long it would take for me to enter one key, I have all the games on my account.

Now, I know we have a lot of generous people in here, but let's face facts: we also have a lot of moochers. We have people here who never buy Humble Bundles and just wait for the excess keys to be given away. Is there anything inherently wrong with that? That's a personal morality question. Is there any reason why Humble might not like that? That's a business decision.

Yeah the process was a lot faster (Once I signed on to Steam and put my Steam Guard code that is). It's just funny how different Humble Bundle is when compared to when it just started.

To be fair, this is the weekly sale and not the "original" one.

Dec

Got an email that Gamefly is discontinuing their client, moving all the features into their website. One bad client down.

nexen

While the overall trajectory of the changes being made to the Humble Bundle is certainly not making me happy, the service overall is still stupidly awesome.

Echoplx

It fucked up for me somehow and now I have Superfrog HD in my games list. Oh well one more game into the "get removed from account" pile.

Too bad about the HIB thing. I liked sharing games with my brother and wouldn't have bought quite a few bundles if it wasn't for that thing. Guess I'm lowering my standard $10 donation to $5.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
would have been better coming from ModBot, but still.....very shitty. Wonder why? Now less people will buy the bundles

We'll have to see how this pans out during a big bundle, like a Humble Indie Bundle, or something.

Because now that the free ride is over, the people who just grab spare keys instead of actually buying the bundle they're interested in will have to actually buy the bundle they're interested in.

rybrad

would have been better coming from ModBot, but still.....very shitty. Wonder why? Now less people will buy the bundles
They are probably banking on less sales at a higher cost (along with no key trading/selling) making them more money overall. I only gave keys away to friends or modbot occasionally but with the recent changes in their bundles the last few months I find myself not being interested in buying from them.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey, I know people were talking about magicka sale already, but there's a new DLC released today as well.

It's not discounted, as usual. Time to wait for the Winter Sale.

louiedog

When will modbot start using the Steam API to redeem our won keys so we don't have to go through those minor eruptions when people win keys for friends/relatives? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom