• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Two notes, Dementium II HD, which is a remake of the Nintendo DS horror game, is now available listed on the Steam Store. It is 35% off ($9.74), and releases December 17th. This came out of nowhere, the developers announced this years ago but I had thought it was all but dead: http://store.steampowered.com/app/217100/?snr=1_4_4__105_2

ss_099428c6382da9347e184d9974a24e1f5895982e.600x338.jpg
ss_1147a1d2df8fcf221990d7e47466abb14f0184c1.600x338.jpg

Also, for those who were interested in Saw (...I was), it was not available yesterday due to Steam key shortage, and is now available again today as they restocked keys. On that note, does anyone have any idea why Saw came back again randomly for this Halloween sale? I remember it was taken off the Steam store about two years ago, why did it suddenly get back added again?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
400 posts to catch up on, I'm sure I was the fifth. Damn.
That's great! We should decide a day (or night) and gather together for a nice L4D2 session!

I'm thinking of buying the new Worms bundle for $1, but I don't want my 500th game to be one of those. Maybe I'll redeem them somewhere in the future.

Salsa

What kind of degree? Cause i've been looking for similar work to make some quick money before the new year.

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams-and-qualifications/proficiency/

Cambridge English: Proficiency, also known as Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE), is our most advanced qualification. It proves you have achieved an extremely high level in English.

you get to study 6 years before being at the supposed level to take it here. I did a test and a teacher friend basically told me "dude get on the pre-course to maybe better your speaking a bit and just go for it", so I just went to class 6 months, basically just to speak english exclusively for a while (only thing I dont get to do daily) and just took the test without any sort of prior studies (just learned english from music movies internet etc)

passed with Listening: A+, Reading: A+, Speaking: A+, Writing: C (I blame the internet, too many bad habits)

pretty proud of myself for once

gives some cool advantages when it comes to work considering not many people have it since they dont stick with that full 6 year course

derExperte

All these deals are confusing me, I wanted to get Mercenary Kings but just realized it was a daily deal and not part of the Halloween sale. :( It'll be in one of the bigger sales for sure but still..

Two notes, Dementium II HD, which is a remake of the Nintendo DS horror game, is now available listed on the Steam Store. It is 35% off ($9.74), and releases December 17th. This came out of nowhere, the developers announced this years ago but I had thought it was all but dead: http://store.steampowered.com/app/217100/?snr=1_4_4__105_2

ss_099428c6382da9347e184d9974a24e1f5895982e.600x338.jpg
ss_1147a1d2df8fcf221990d7e47466abb14f0184c1.600x338.jpg

Also, for those who were interested in Saw (...I was), it was not available yesterday due to Steam key shortage, and is now available again today as they restocked keys. On that note, does anyone have any idea why Saw came back again randomly for this Halloween sale? I remember it was taken off the Steam store about two years ago, why did it suddenly get back added again?
interesting game from what i saw of the TBFP shitstorm of it

Cheddahz

Banned
why is association broken? i'm only like 5 games in, so i'd like to know...

It's broken for me for some odd reason. Everytime I start an Association, it starts me off before All-Star Weekend and the rookie game is that day, but the All-Star game isn't until 2014, so you literally have to simulate a whole year before you can actually start doing anything and by that time, it's almost the end of the 2013-2014 season and no stats are recorded for any of the players during the 2012-2013 season

It's probably something dumb to complain about, but it bugs me a whole lot

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Salsa doesn't even capitalize his sentences.

I could move to Uruguay and rule as a Philosopher-King.

Two notes, Dementium II HD, which is a remake of the Nintendo DS horror game, is now available listed on the Steam Store. It is 35% off ($9.74), and releases December 17th. This came out of nowhere, the developers announced this years ago but I had thought it was all but dead:

Oh wow, I thought that was dead too.

It looks alright, I'll probably check it out for that price.

catabarez

you get to study 6 years before being at the supposed level to take it here. I did a test and a teacher friend basically told me "dude get on the pre-course to maybe better your speaking a bit and just go for it", so I just went to class 6 months, basically just to speak english exclusively for a while (only thing I dont get to do daily) and just took the test without any sort of prior studies (just learned english from music movies internet etc)

passed with Listening: A+, Speaking: A+, Writing: C (I blame the internet, too many bad habits)

gives some cool advantages when it comes to work considering not many people have it since they dont stick with that full 6 year course

I always wondered why you never use punctuation :p

Salsa

Salsa doesn't even capitalize his sentences.

I could move to Uruguay and rule as a Philosopher-King.

yeah I honestly cant remember what I even wrote but im sure it was full of stuff like "i'd" instead of "I would" and whatever cause I was running out of time

oh well

I always wondered why you never use punctuation :p

the internet (and mostly gaf) are both a blessing and a curse. Made me practice a lot, but find my first post here and it was probably super thought out and with perfect punctuation and shit. You start reading lousy writing and you dont really curr anymo

drizzle

Axel Hertz

you get to study 6 years before being at the supposed level to take it here. I did a test and a teacher friend basically told me "dude get on the pre-course to maybe better your speaking a bit and just go for it"

Is that the most awesome one? It costs like 600 reais down here to take it. I could probably pass it as well.

I doubt anybody in this country would give a shit about it though. It's mostly only valid on international companies.

Salsa

Is that the most awesome one? It costs like 600 reais down here to take it. I could probably pass it as well.

I doubt anybody in this country would give a shit about it though. It's mostly only valid on international companies.

you'd pass it for sure, you were better than me on teamspeak man

I think it's worth it for the somewhat low cost. It aint gonna hurt, and there's plenty of internet work with international companies (i.e what im doing now)

Decado

I see Valdis Story is one Steam now. Has anyone tried it? I remember the kickstarter. Looks nice, but not convinced it would play as well.

Also, has anyone played Bunny Must Die?

bronson

My Steam client is messed up. On every page I get Error Code: -130 Failed to load web page (unknown error).

My library still works and I can still play games, but I can't browse the store or the community or anything else. Tried restarting Steam a few times and checked for updates. Any ideas?

It's broken for me for some odd reason. Everytime I start an Association, it starts me off before All-Star Weekend and the rookie game is that day, but the All-Star game isn't until 2014, so you literally have to simulate a whole year before you can actually start doing anything and by that time, it's almost the end of the 2013-2014 season and no stats are recorded for any of the players during the 2012-2013 season

It's probably something dumb to complain about, but it bugs me a whole lot

that is weird, i've had no trouble with association mode, although admittedly i'm only half a dozen games in. i play 30 game seasons though, as simming is not fun to me, and i see no point in playing 82 game seasons when that means each season will take like 100+ hours to complete.

makes each game matter a lot more like in the nfl

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Superfrog looks pretty bad. I'm tempted to drop a buck on it. :p

I know, I meant through ModBot. Can you still do that?
Yes. When you buy a bundle as a gift, you get a URL that is intended for the recipient. Give that URL to ModBot instead of a key.

...But since I think you might have been wondering more about separate keys...nope, you get one URL for the entire bundle. No way to split gifts.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
you'd pass it for sure, you were better than me on teamspeak man

I think it's worth it for the somewhat low cost. It aint gonna hurt, and there's plenty of internet work with international companies (i.e what im doing now)

It really is worth it - it's just not really that cheap down here. Like I said, the Cambridge one, is like 250-300 USD. There's a lesser one that's like 80 USD, but nobody gives a shit about that one.

On next december I'm doing the Japanese one, level 4. I didn't pass level 5 last year for one motherfucking point (5 is the lowest level, 4 is one above it). Let's hope I do better this time around.

Salsa

It really is worth it - it's just not really that cheap down here. Like I said, the Cambridge one, is like 250-300 USD. There's a lesser one that's like 80 USD, but nobody gives a shit about that one.

ah, damn, didnt do the conversion. It was like $150 here I think, cant remember

Tecl0n

passed with Listening: A+, Speaking: A+, Writing: C (I blame the internet, too many bad habits)

Ahh I got a C in speaking cause my partner was...horrible. Yeah, it's a long ass course but i went to english school since elementary so i just rolled with it. (Although i did "graduate" 2 years early at 16, and they didn't take it gladly when someone from a public school was their best student, proud moment.). I never did understand why it takes so long, i mean it's not exactly hard.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah I was actually working on just that this morning. Obviously it won't be done in time for the Halloween sale to end, but I'm meshing those functions together so that anything that's highlighted can also be hidden when the "Hide games I own" option is checked.

From a design standpoint it strikes me as odd that they decided to just plaster the entire page with boxes for games and (basically) nothing else.

I have one other code idea as well, for highlighting whether bundles are owned. Let me give it to you in sort of JavaScript pseudocode. You have a series of code that calls the GetOwnedGames API which returns a json reply that basically has, among other things, a series of appids. So you look at my games owned and you get: 50 (OpFor), 70 (Half-Life), 130 (Blue Shift), 2400 (The Ship), 2420 (The Ship Single Player), 2100 (Dark Messiah), etc.

Imagine there's a bundle with Half-Life, Blue Shift, and OpFor. It has a new subid that does not show up in GetOwnedGames, because instead you just get the appids 50, 70, 130. Let's imagine the new subid is 999999 for convenience. I've seen like a dozen people ask you here "Why don't you highlight bundles?!" and you correctly reply that since GetOwnedGames does not return bundles as owned, you have no way of knowing. But the reality is that there are actually only a limited number of bundles, so you do have a way of knowing. Manual enumeration. In our hypothetical example, if the user has 50, 70, 130, then we know the user has 999999. Or to take a real-world example with the Joe Danger double pack, Joe Danger = 229890, Joe Danger 2 = 242110, Joe Danger Double Pack = 28537

So why not establish a manual whitelist of confirmed bundle appid->subid mappings in order to be able to minimize the issue. It would not need to be exhaustive to be useful. And it'd be pretty easy to architect so that it could pull from your server to update the whitelisted mappings. For throttle control you could just have it refresh, say, 1-in-20 times that you call the GetOwnedGames API download a new set of mappings from your server--or put it on a timer, even where it'll only refresh storage every 5-7 days. So if you do that, then hypothetically you have data objects in your storage that contain mappings like

(subid) 999999 => (appids) 50, 70, 130
28537 => 229890, 242110

In your code, I see that you have an anonymous function triggered by the API ajax called that leads to several other nested anonymous functions, the meat of which is this iterator:
Code:
$.each(library_all_games, function(i, obj) {
 if (obj.name && (filter_name === undefined || new RegExp(filter_name, "i").test(obj.name))) {
  filtered_games.push(obj);
 }
});

At the end of this function, filtered_games is an array containing among other things appids.

So, theoretically, you could then follow up with a function that's roughly (pseudocode)
Code:
foreach(key, value in subToAppMapper)
{
	hasSub[key]=true;
	foreach(appid in value)
	{
		if hasApp(appid) continue;
 		else { hasSub[subid]=false; break; }
	}
}

And then you have what you need to be able to highlight bundles. I don't do a lot of jQuery work or any kind of browser extension storage module work so obviously forgive the loose syntax here, but you see what I mean?

In the halloween sale, the bundles are:
Joe Danger: 28537 => 229890, 242110
Orcs Must Die: 18259 => 102600, 201790, {a bunch of garbage DLC goes here}
Cthulhu/Breath of Death: 8848 => 107300, 107310
Penumbra: 32031 => 22120, 22180
Painkiller: 27279 => 3270, 65560, 3200, 214870, 206760, 39560, {garbage DLC}
Alan Wake: 15407 => 108710, 202750, (optional extras: 108726)
L4D+L4D2: 2487 => 500, 550
Alien Breed: 7678 => 22610, 22650, 22670
FEAR: 12357 => 21090, 16450, 21100, {DLC}
Legacy of Kain: 33301 => 242960, 224300, 224920, 224940

Incidentally you could harvest this information if you wrote a SteamDB scraper where you just provided the subid and it pulled all the appids.

Salsa

I never did understand why it takes so long, i mean it's not exactly hard.

dude believe me, it's embarrassingly hard for some people. I tried to help some of the guys who were in that 6 month course with me, on their sixth year of studies and they were a mess and couldnt learn for shit. I dont get it either tho, basically if you use the internet you kinda end up learning english one way or another

also, modbot just closed a thread? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707279

catabarez

dude believe me, it's embarrassingly hard for some people. I tried to help some of the guys who were in that 6 month course with me, on their sixth year of studies and they were a mess and couldnt learn for shit. I dont get it either tho, basically if you use the internet you kinda end up learning english one way or another

also, modbot just closed a thread? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707279

It's happening.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have one other code idea as well, for highlighting whether bundles are owned. Let me give it to you in sort of JavaScript pseudocode. You have a series of code that calls the GetOwnedGames API which returns a json reply that basically has, among other things, a series of appids. So you look at my games owned and you get: 50 (OpFor), 70 (Half-Life), 130 (Blue Shift), 2400 (The Ship), 2420 (The Ship Single Player), 2100 (Dark Messiah), etc.

[snip]

Incidentally you could harvest this information if you wrote a SteamDB scraper where you just provided the subid and it pulled all the appids.

Actually (as of a few versions ago) bundles do actually highlight using a similar method to the one you've described. Rather than scraping the SteamDB, Enhanced Steam actually scrapes the store page for a bundle and retrieves a list of AppIDs that it contains. Doing it this way means that not only do I not have to keep a list, but it also works with region-restricted stuff as well.

So if you own everything in the (for example) Alan Wake Franchise Pack and do a search for Alan Wake it should correctly highlight the bundle as owned.

Unfortunately it doesn't do this on the Halloween sale page because Valve broke away from their traditional coding methods (once again) which requires me to redirect the div that's highlighted. I'm right in the middle of a huge code conversion so I wasn't able to push out a patch while the sale was going on unfortunately.

Joe Molotov

A guy I know on another forum is going through some shit with Steam Support, has anyone dealt with them lately? He's getting shafted pretty hardcore, I thought they'd loosened up their hardass stance lately. Anyone got any tips?

My bank card was compromised a few weeks back and my bank was stupid enough to do a charge back. And since the card is no longer active the institution that issued the card can't reverse the charge back. Valve is all business about stuff like this and decided to auto ban my account. I can't even play in offline mode! I contacted them on thursday when I was notified of the issue and haven't heard anything since.

Still no resolution to my issues. I did finally get a phone number out of them since my issue is rather complicated. I tried calling it yesterday and got a really rude person who obviously hates their job. I asked about other forms of resolution and the only other option it seems is to get into a time machine and stop the charge back from ever occurring. They told me I either find a way to reverse the charge back or my account will be deleted in 9 weeks (Dec 26th). I'm basically being held hostage by Valve for all of my PC games since they've locked out offline play.

As someone who has been on steam since before HL2 was available and never once had an issue you'd think they would understand. But no they want me to understand their flawed logic and archaic business practices. Their are other ways to solve this solution, but Valve does not see that. They won't take another form of payment in this case and I find that to be the biggest issue. Had they just allowed me to put the charge on the card I got as a replacement all of this would have been solved by now. Instead I'm having to hound my institution for a solution to reverse a charge back. It's all on me to do everything to get this solved and Valve doesn't seem to understand that it isn't possible. I've already got affidavit from the bank coming in the mail to explain the situation and the reasons behind why they can't reverse it. I'm going to try and find a way to get that to Valve in hopes they resolve this issue. I might have to look into getting some legal help to get this sorted if it gets closer to Dec 26th.

All of this cause of a $5.99 charge back...

I knew they used to do shit like this, but I thought I read on GAF that they just removed the game from your account and put a freeze on buying new games for a while. I didn't think they deleted your entire account anymore. Is this their official policy again, or is this CSR he talked to just being a huge dillhole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom