• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I only just got my first gaming pc yesterday so I'm incredibly green with this steamy business. OP is a gem.

image.php

Welome to PC gaming also this is to cute.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I only just got my first gaming pc yesterday so I'm incredibly green with this steamy business. OP is a gem.

Perfect timing, really, as the Autumn Sale is just a few weeks away, and a month later there's the Winter Sale.

Milamber

Huh, I totally did not notice that I had hit 700 games until now. Trying to get into community made me look at my game count.

Yay, 700! I'm coming for you Xelios, JaseC, Joe_Molotov and SalsaShark.

Holy shit. Ive had my console for many years and I've only recently hit 100 games...what am I getting myself into!
And thanks for the welcomes guys.

Welcome. The stages of steam:

Stage 1. You will selectively pick your games. You might pick up one or two that you have been holding out on. You'll play and enjoy them quite a bit.
Stage 2. You'll get your first big sale (end of November). At this time you will be like a kid in a candy store. You'll pick up a few games you never thought you would buy. Some people on NeoGAF will convince you to buy some games you never even heard of because they are "amazing". You will learn to wait for the daily deals the hard way.
Stage 3. You now have more games than you can play. Instead you'll spend your time wondering about sales and selling off cards you have been idling for.
Stage 4. You will now discover indie bundles. Because they are mostly titles that don't interest you, you'll resist purchasing them. But then you will see they have bonus games and you will jump in just for the thrill of it. Your library now grows.
Stage 5. Your second big steam sale (Christmas). This time you will pick up everything you missed the first time around or need to rebuy on steam. Some purchases will make you angry and cause regret. The next day you will wake to new deals and make the same mistake again. You will now be on the steam thread, telling people to wait for the daily deals. You might even recommend people buy "The Void" which is a game you picked up in the earlier sale. You have never played it.
Stage 6. Your library is now huge and you have no chance of completing all these games in your lifetime. But despite this, you start playing games again. Not for long, but you start trying them all out and working through it. The games that you like you will try to 100% and collect the badge. This is your steam "golden time".
Stage 7. Big sales now mean little to you because you have all the games you want already. Indie bundles are just an opportunity to give away spares to Modbot and help out other gamers. Having exhausted your options, you have stopped playing new games, you'll stick with a few select favourites or rehashes like Pokemon on other platforms.
Stage 8. In this phase you begin to hunt for rare or obscure games. It isn't an obsession, you just want to round out your collection and have something unique.
Stage 9. It is an obsession.

Hope that doesn't spoil it too much for you. Try to look surprised at the end.

One console game buys you anywhere between 1-50 PC games though.
You'll be fine.

Or half a call of duty in Australia.

man game dev tycoon can be brutal

I'm going to spoiler this advice so you can just play it the way you want it the first time through but the scoring system in game dev tycoon is sort of borked.
The only thing you're competing against is yourself basically, what that means is you want to improve your games but only a limited amount. If your previous game had 20 tech orbs and 20 gameplay orbs and was a smash hit bestseller that's pretty much what you have to beat. In a way you set your own highscore and you should be trying to beat it by the smallest amount possible so you can guarantee an infinite chain of high scores.

To that end it's usually useless to invest heavy in staff with high creativity and technology scores untill they are required for the specializations - and you can just hire those people when you get to the big offices. As for training the only one I usually bother with is research because that's the only one that really matters unless I messed up and need to boost the score of my next game slightly.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Huh, I totally did not notice that I had hit 700 games until now. Trying to get into community made me look at my game count.

Yay, 700! I'm coming for you Xelios, JaseC, Joe_Molotov and SalsaShark.

It's about this point where you either go beyond the point of sanity like those lot or ... well I'm not sure about what other direction you can take really.

751 games here. Why the hell I'm now targeting 1,000 is beyond me.

Edit: Stage 7 here I suppose.

Reckoner

So, it's morning where I live and I'm gonna try to do my cardio workout (cycling) while playing with a controller. Let's see how it goes...

wazoo

you forget the stage where you start to rebuy on steam games you bought DRM free when you were only PC newcomer.

Stage 1. You will selectively pick your games. You might pick up one or two that you have been holding out on. You'll play and enjoy them quite a bit.
Stage 2. You'll get your first big sale (end of November). At this time you will be like a kid in a candy store. You'll pick up a few games you never thought you would buy. Some people on NeoGAF will convince you to buy some games you never even heard of because they are "amazing". You will learn to wait for the daily deals the hard way.
Stage 3. You now have more games than you can play. Instead you'll spend your time wondering about sales and selling off cards you have been idling for.
Stage 4. You will now discover indie bundles. Because they are mostly titles that don't interest you, you'll resist purchasing them. But then you will see they have bonus games and you will jump in just for the thrill of it. Your library now grows.
Stage 5. Your second big steam sale (Christmas). This time you will pick up everything you missed the first time around. Some purchases will make you angry and cause regret. The next day you will wake to new deals and make the same mistake again. You will now be on the steam thread, telling people to wait for the daily deals. You might even recommend people buy "The Void" which is a game you picked up in the earlier sale. You have never played it.
Stage 6. Your library is now huge and you have no chance of completing all these games in your lifetime. But despite this, you start playing games again. Not for long, but you start trying them all out and working through it. The games that you like you will try to 100% and collect the badge. This is your steam "golden time".
Stage 7. Big sales now mean little to you because you have all the games you want already. Indie bundles are just an opportunity to give away spares to Modbot and help out other gamers. Having exhausted your options, you have stopped playing new games, you'll stick with a few select favourites or rehashes like Pokemon on other platforms.
Stage 8. In this phase you begin to hunt for rare or obscure games. It isn't an obsession, you just want to round out your collection and have something unique.
Stage 9. It is an obsession.

It's very accurate, I hope to never go past stage 3 and 4.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm going to spoiler this advice so you can just play it the way you want it the first time through but the scoring system in game dev tycoon is sort of borked.
The only thing you're competing against is yourself basically, what that means is you want to improve your games but only a limited amount. If your previous game had 20 tech orbs and 20 gameplay orbs and was a smash hit bestseller that's pretty much what you have to beat. In a way you set your own highscore and you should be trying to beat it by the smallest amount possible so you can guarantee an infinite chain of high scores.

To that end it's usually useless to invest heavy in staff with high creativity and technology scores untill they are required for the specializations - and you can just hire those people when you get to the big offices. As for training the only one I usually bother with is research because that's the only one that really matters unless I messed up and need to boost the score of my next game slightly.

yeah the game's pretty alright but I wish it had a better interface on pc and a bit more explanation

a lot of things feel really random

wazoo

No I don't!

*Looks at the FEAR pack he bought a few days ago.*

Oh.

Stages of steam acceptance when you start to be a PC gamer

1/ buy retail games (because boxes, you know you own it for life)

2/ rebuy the same game digital because disc are worthless and you hate having your disc to be changed all the time

3/ rebuy games DRM free because you hate dirty DRM such as Tages or securom

4/ rebuy games on steam for anykind of reasons (less intrusive DRM, autopatching, collection, you like steam)

fantomena

I just reached 959 games. :( And I have only had this user since september 2012. (3 years).

It could be more if I did not forgot the username and account for my first account and my second account got hacked (happily I only had CS Source on it),

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here's a little something for you game collectors out there. There is a discontinued version of Blood Bowl not listed on the steamworks games list or retail key list, Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition, that via retail redeems on steam without a problem.
The interesting part is that, if I read correctly, it was never released physically outside of Europe making it sufficiently hard to find.

I purchased it myself and can guarantuee that it works, you can check my steam games list as proof, but on my searches I only found it being sold in 2 places, ebay for a limited amount of copies (5 copies - £8 each, new and sealed) and zavvi at an extortionate price point. (£35)

Anyways, hope this info helps boost someones game count by +1
edit: image just for proof.
RapZA1P.jpg

Almost forgot about this. Thanks for the heads-up! I decided to buy a key from a "grey market" reseller I'd used in the past -- ~$15.20 versus $15 for a physical copy via eBay.

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay uh.. I'd like to play some games now, Steam. I can't even access offline mode. What the hell.

Turfster

Blood Bowl Dark Elves is Securom afflicted FYI.

The people buying Blood Bowl Dark Elves will never actually install it.

This new humble bundle system for keys is straight garbage.
I can't even add my games with it.
Yep, quite a few people were unable to use this new and "improved" system to actually add their games, and with the problems the steam community servers seem to be having recently, the chances of it succeeding are even smaller.
Great idea, humblebundle people!

Copons

Despite Steam Community ups and downs, today I removed my 50 or so cards that I had on the market since last summer to update their price, put them all back for sale, sold 20 of them in less than a hour. Cool cool cool. Especially cool was finally being able to get rid of those hundreds of Awesomenauts cards (well, not every one of them, but still)!

But.
Some undercutter out there, myyyy god.
There was one super common card usually sold at 0.05€, with a 0.02€ on top of the list. WTF? I understand that every dime sums up, but come on?

Jawmuncher

Yep, quite a few people were unable to use this new and "improved" system to actually add their games, and with the problems the steam community servers seem to be having recently, the chances of it succeeding are even smaller.
Great idea, humblebundle people!

Thankfully it's just the Team 17 stuff so I can hold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom