• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

You know PC gaming in general has changed people when they feel that having under 500 games (in their Steam library) they feel it's not much.

You know PC gaming in general has changes people when they feel that having under 500 games (in their Steam lbirary9 they feel it's not much.

I have 80 or something, and I feel it's a lot already. :lol I know I'm not gonna play one third of those games, but oh well.

My new laptop can run Oblivion and Fallout 3 at 60fps. My face when I found out was something like this:

andy-dwyer-ripped-reabmsjl.gif

Now I hope Steam lets us be online on multiple devices at the same time, soon.

yes. we all do that.

I almost did rebuy F.E.A.R., but then I realized what the hell I was doing and saved my money instead.

The people buying Blood Bowl Dark Elves will never actually install it.

Yep, quite a few people were unable to use this new and "improved" system to actually add their games, and with the problems the steam community servers seem to be having recently, the chances of it succeeding are even smaller.
Great idea, humblebundle people!

Valve is causing the problems in the community servers to show how that new method from HB is not good.
/tinfoilhat

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
An update on the ongoing Black Flag RU retroactive region-lock saga: Ubi has added two new region-locked pre-order subs (one for each edition of the game) to the registry and updated the RU/CIS store pages accordingly. Here's the DDE, for example:

Then:
ac4ruazq1k.jpg

Now:
ac42b3odu.jpg

The previous subs haven't been updated as yet, but this wouldn't have happened if they were going to remain as-is, which is to say that it seems the region lock is going to be removed.

Baby steps:

Assassin's Creed Black Flag Digital Standard Edition Pre-Order (RU+CIS) said:
Assassin's Creed Black Flag Digital Deluxe Edition (RU+CIS) said:

Echoplx

I stopped at stage 7 then went back to stage 1, I actually think about what games I want on my account and remove shit that I don't want.

Am I doomed to live in an infinite loop now?

fantomena

No fucking way I use 49,99€ (or more on the digital deluxe edition) when AC3 bored me to death. It was like a 7-8 hour tutorial. I needed to push myself to finish it. Things did not get better before the last 2-3 acts.

Wok

I stopped at stage 7 then went back to stage 1, I actually think about what games I want on my account and remove shit that I don't want.

Am I doomed to live in an infinite loop now?

There is an escape: create a second Steam account and stick to stage 1.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Welcome. The stages of steam:

Stage 1. You will selectively pick your games. You might pick up one or two that you have been holding out on. You'll play and enjoy them quite a bit.
Stage 2. You'll get your first big sale (end of November). At this time you will be like a kid in a candy store. You'll pick up a few games you never thought you would buy. Some people on NeoGAF will convince you to buy some games you never even heard of because they are "amazing". You will learn to wait for the daily deals the hard way.
Stage 3. You now have more games than you can play. Instead you'll spend your time wondering about sales and selling off cards you have been idling for.
Stage 4. You will now discover indie bundles. Because they are mostly titles that don't interest you, you'll resist purchasing them. But then you will see they have bonus games and you will jump in just for the thrill of it. Your library now grows.
Stage 5. Your second big steam sale (Christmas). This time you will pick up everything you missed the first time around or need to rebuy on steam. Some purchases will make you angry and cause regret. The next day you will wake to new deals and make the same mistake again. You will now be on the steam thread, telling people to wait for the daily deals. You might even recommend people buy "The Void" which is a game you picked up in the earlier sale. You have never played it.
Stage 6. Your library is now huge and you have no chance of completing all these games in your lifetime. But despite this, you start playing games again. Not for long, but you start trying them all out and working through it. The games that you like you will try to 100% and collect the badge. This is your steam "golden time".
Stage 7. Big sales now mean little to you because you have all the games you want already. Indie bundles are just an opportunity to give away spares to Modbot and help out other gamers. Having exhausted your options, you have stopped playing new games, you'll stick with a few select favourites or rehashes like Pokemon on other platforms.
Stage 8. In this phase you begin to hunt for rare or obscure games. It isn't an obsession, you just want to round out your collection and have something unique.
Stage 9. It is an obsession.

Hope that doesn't spoil it too much for you. Try to look surprised at the end..

Stage 1 and 2 are completely true, never went through stage 3,

Stage 4 is partially true, except that they often have games I'm interested in (play a lot of indie games).

Stage 5 again is only partially true. I don't recommend games I haven't played and I typically don't have huge regrets as I've been collecting for years before I event used Steam. XD;

Stage 6 partially true, except I usually sit down and marathon games to completion, and been in this golden time for the last year.

Stage 7 is true again, except sales often mean I can buy games for friends and I still play plenty.

I was at Stage 8 in stage 1. XD

Already at Stage 9~

Jawmuncher

Activision Sale, just like they did on Steam Anniversary! What a shame it was considering some hype levels that were created.

Ugh don't even remind me of that disappointment.
Sad that we didn't get a 10th anniversary sale but I bet money that we'll get a sale for Origin's 5th anniversary which is even more sad.

graywolf323

Stage 1. You will selectively pick your games. You might pick up one or two that you have been holding out on. You'll play and enjoy them quite a bit.
Stage 2. You'll get your first big sale (end of November). At this time you will be like a kid in a candy store. You'll pick up a few games you never thought you would buy. Some people on NeoGAF will convince you to buy some games you never even heard of because they are "amazing". You will learn to wait for the daily deals the hard way.
Stage 3. You now have more games than you can play. Instead you'll spend your time wondering about sales and selling off cards you have been idling for.
Stage 4. You will now discover indie bundles. Because they are mostly titles that don't interest you, you'll resist purchasing them. But then you will see they have bonus games and you will jump in just for the thrill of it. Your library now grows.
Stage 5. Your second big steam sale (Christmas). This time you will pick up everything you missed the first time around or need to rebuy on steam. Some purchases will make you angry and cause regret. The next day you will wake to new deals and make the same mistake again. You will now be on the steam thread, telling people to wait for the daily deals. You might even recommend people buy "The Void" which is a game you picked up in the earlier sale. You have never played it.
Stage 6. Your library is now huge and you have no chance of completing all these games in your lifetime. But despite this, you start playing games again. Not for long, but you start trying them all out and working through it. The games that you like you will try to 100% and collect the badge. This is your steam "golden time".
Stage 7. Big sales now mean little to you because you have all the games you want already. Indie bundles are just an opportunity to give away spares to Modbot and help out other gamers. Having exhausted your options, you have stopped playing new games, you'll stick with a few select favourites or rehashes like Pokemon on other platforms.
Stage 8. In this phase you begin to hunt for rare or obscure games. It isn't an obsession, you just want to round out your collection and have something unique.

Hope that doesn't spoil it too much for you. Try to look surprised at the end.

Or half a call of duty in Australia.

I bounce back and forth between stages 6 & 7

Jase is on like stage 13 :p

I found sites from where I can import Korean and Turkish versions of Football Manager!

As much as we joke about the collection side, I'm not convinced that playing football manager isn't worse than collecting all of them.

There is some crazy amount of shit in those games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As much as we joke about the collection side, I'm not convinced that playing football manager isn't worse than collecting all of them.

There is some crazy amount of shit in those games.

I've seen screenshots of 2013 pop up in my friend activity feed from time to time. The Excel jokes aren't far removed from the truth. :p

Good morning Steam GAF, I slept in (this is rare), so I feel nice and cheerful.

Coffee is brewing, Starbucks Anniversary Blend, good stuff.

I suspect I'll be playing Valdis Story most of today, although I may attempt to give the sixth startum of Etrian Odyssey Untold another shot. If I finish Valdis Story, I may try to knock out one of the side games in Half-Minute Hero.

Speaking of that, we need one more Half-Minute Hero player to get a rare achievement (play online with three people on your friend list). Any takers? If everyone is online today, I could attempt to get that out of the way.

What are your gaming plans today?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
-Finish 2 race sets in Grid 1 (they are getting kind a long, but the super cars are nice)
-Play 1 more level of the Aliens DLC (already finished 2 of 4, the previous two took like ~50 min each)
-Finish 2 levels of Metro LL

If the mood is right tonight, start Ada's or Sherry's campaign in RE6 in co-op (finished Leon's last night).

valouris

Kill that bastard Nito once and for all (first playthrough).

I just learned that bastard is allergic to fire. I am going on a quest to make myself a good' ol flaming sword to stick up his bony ass.

'Scuse the language.

Just finished The Swapper, great story and atmosphere (often creepy and sometimes relaxing, dunno if I'm weird). Concerns about the story though :
- If I understand correctly we're a clone of Scavenger which discovered the abandoned space station where everyone was killed by the Watchers. Scavenger found the two brains, used the swapper to create a clone maybe by mistake thus creating us. She put us in the escape pod and that's when the game start, but why are concious ? All the clones created in game are empty shells, how come we're not like every other one ?
- What happens if you swap yourself with one of the rescue crew at the end (I chose the suicide ending) ? Do we get 2 "personnalities" like Scavenger ? How does the game end ?
- I didn't really understand that part but when Watchers get "disconnected" from the chain, they kill humans just by communicating with them ?

XShagrath

Speaking of that, we need one more Half-Minute Hero player to get a rare achievement (play online with three people on your friend list). Any takers? If everyone is online today, I could attempt to get that out of the way.
I'll be online at various points throughout the day, and have this game. I can help you out if you'd like. I haven't played it yet (on Steam), so if it needs me to be at a certain point, I probably won't be there.

Feel free to add me (Steam name is same as my username).

RS4-

Yeah sure, I can help out with the HHH achievement if needed.

CPR class, some BF4.

I'll be online at various points throughout the day, and have this game. I can help you out if you'd like. I haven't played it yet (on Steam), so if it needs me to be at a certain point, I probably won't be there.

Feel free to add me (Steam name is same as my username).
Sweet, I'll add ya once Steam Community won't be garbage.

Multiplayer is open from the start and I'm sure the achievement is to just play (or start) one round with the friends requirement.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished The Swapper, great story and atmosphere (often creepy and sometimes relaxing, dunno if I'm weird). Concerns about the story though :
- If I understand correctly we're a clone of Scavenger which discovered the abandoned space station where everyone was killed by the Watchers. Scavenger found the two brains, used the swapper to create a clone maybe by mistake thus creating us. She put us in the escape pod and that's when the game start, but why are concious ? All the clones created in game are empty shells, how come we're not like every other one ?
- What happens if you swap yourself with one of the rescue crew at the end (I chose the suicide ending) ? Do we get 2 "personnalities" like Scavenger ? How does the game end ?
- I didn't really understand that part but when Watchers get "disconnected" from the chain, they kill humans just by communicating with them ?

The way I interpreted the ending you didn't get:
you literally removed that spaceman's soul from his body and inhabited it with your's. Incredibly fucked up and totally fitting the moral discussion of cloning and souls in the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why are people hating on Game Dev Tycoon? From what I heard it only is similar to the iOS game because it has the same focus, otherwise it's mostly its own game.

Turfster

Why are people hating on Game Dev Tycoon? From what I heard it only is similar to the iOS game because it has the same focus, otherwise it's mostly its own game.

Probably because Tycoon is by another dev entirely that copied the iOS game (Game Dev Story). People don't like copies, even if they add new things.

Yeah sure, I can help out with the HHH achievement if needed.
Okay, well we have three already but link me your Steam profile (or you can just add me, I'm the only PixyJunket there) and I'll PM/invite you if somebody doesn't pop online today.

Chronoja

All these stages are nice but there is only 1 point of no return and it goes as so

"Oh awesome, Game X is on sale, I've been looking to get that for a while now, I'll buy that right away.....wait a moment...what's this? "You already own this game". Dear god....I have no recollection of ever buying this..."

that is the moment you realise how far you've come.

I finished Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons today.

The game is awesome. It has a really great sense of adventure, it kind of feels like a puzzlier, more cinematic version of Ico (except I didn't really like Ico). It's also really short, I got through it in like two sittings.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I finished Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons today.

The game is awesome. It has a really great sense of adventure, it kind of feels like a puzzlier, more cinematic version of Ico (except I didn't really like Ico). It's also really short, I got through it in like two sittings.

It really is Ico with out all the shitty design decisions. It's too bad they chose to go with the ending they did. It's practically telegraphed from the start of the game, but when it actually happens it's just so eye-rolling.

I felt the opposite. I thoroughly enjoyed Ico. With Brothers I felt the mechanics were novel and there was some interesting situations at the end but it didn't pull me in.

Bouniter

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Any idea whats going on with steam community its been almost totally unusable for me for at least the last 12 hours?

Thorgal

Looking at that .looks like i am only at stage two. thank god *wipes sweat from brow.

Derrick01

Banned

Still waiting for Batman Origins to get patched so I can finish the damn game. It's great but this is really annoying me. I never ran into these kinds of huge progress stopping glitches in Obsidian or Bethesda games.

I'll probably just play Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD on PS3. The lords of shadow 2 demo last night got me really pumped for the series again.

chixdiggit

Nice post. I think you need to add: Stage 10: Buy new game but instead of playing it you continue to play TF2 or DOTA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom