• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes..? What are you getting at?

I expect he is implying that the Steam Client access is irregular and shitty for all users, whatever their o/s or specs.

I only just got my first gaming pc yesterday so I'm incredibly green with this steamy business. OP is a gem.

People actually read the op? This is unprecedented!

BTW . what is up with steam community ? Maintenance ?

Valve.

Does anyone else have problems with redeeming stuff in the new Humble Bundle connect thingy

Apparently.

It has been mentioned in the last few hours, yes.

louiedog

Welcome. The stages of steam:

Stage 1. You will selectively pick your games. You might pick up one or two that you have been holding out on. You'll play and enjoy them quite a bit.
Stage 2. You'll get your first big sale (end of November). At this time you will be like a kid in a candy store. You'll pick up a few games you never thought you would buy. Some people on NeoGAF will convince you to buy some games you never even heard of because they are "amazing". You will learn to wait for the daily deals the hard way.
Stage 3. You now have more games than you can play. Instead you'll spend your time wondering about sales and selling off cards you have been idling for.
Stage 4. You will now discover indie bundles. Because they are mostly titles that don't interest you, you'll resist purchasing them. But then you will see they have bonus games and you will jump in just for the thrill of it. Your library now grows.
*snip*

It didn't quite go like this for me. I bought Half-Life 2 on launch day and that's when I signed up for Steam. I registered my copy of Half-Life 1 a couple of months later. Years pass. I buy TF2 in a Halloween sale for $2.49. A few months pass and I get Portal for free when Steam for Mac launches. Later that year I buy Humble Indie Bundle 2. That was my gateway drug. My library exploded after that because those cheap bundle games got me using Steam more and more.

Does anyone else have problems with redeeming stuff in the new Humble Bundle connect thingy

I believe it's related to the Steam community problems that have been going on.

Jawmuncher

Welcome. The stages of steam:

Stage 1. You will selectively pick your games. You might pick up one or two that you have been holding out on. You'll play and enjoy them quite a bit.
Stage 2. You'll get your first big sale (end of November). At this time you will be like a kid in a candy store. You'll pick up a few games you never thought you would buy. Some people on NeoGAF will convince you to buy some games you never even heard of because they are "amazing". You will learn to wait for the daily deals the hard way.
Stage 3. You now have more games than you can play. Instead you'll spend your time wondering about sales and selling off cards you have been idling for.
Stage 4. You will now discover indie bundles. Because they are mostly titles that don't interest you, you'll resist purchasing them. But then you will see they have bonus games and you will jump in just for the thrill of it. Your library now grows.
Stage 5. Your second big steam sale (Christmas). This time you will pick up everything you missed the first time around or need to rebuy on steam. Some purchases will make you angry and cause regret. The next day you will wake to new deals and make the same mistake again. You will now be on the steam thread, telling people to wait for the daily deals. You might even recommend people buy "The Void" which is a game you picked up in the earlier sale. You have never played it.
Stage 6. Your library is now huge and you have no chance of completing all these games in your lifetime. But despite this, you start playing games again. Not for long, but you start trying them all out and working through it. The games that you like you will try to 100% and collect the badge. This is your steam "golden time".
Stage 7. Big sales now mean little to you because you have all the games you want already. Indie bundles are just an opportunity to give away spares to Modbot and help out other gamers. Having exhausted your options, you have stopped playing new games, you'll stick with a few select favourites or rehashes like Pokemon on other platforms.
Stage 8. In this phase you begin to hunt for rare or obscure games. It isn't an obsession, you just want to round out your collection and have something unique.
Stage 9. It is an obsession.

Hope that doesn't spoil it too much for you. Try to look surprised at the end.

Or half a call of duty in Australia.

The bold is definitely me. At first I did try to be selective of the games in my catalog but once I discovered the bundles I stopped caring. I love seeing the number of my collection go up and to "potentially" have a ton of games to play if the time ever comes that I need them. Aside from that I have gotten pretty bad with idling, selling cards, and making badges. It's almost it's own game for me at this point.

Am I the only having troubles connecting to steamcommunity.com?

It takes me forever to load one page, and its really bloody annoying.
Every other website out there loads fine for me, but when it comes to steamcommunity, its just a huge pile of shit.

fantomena

Posted?

BazPkxO.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
no one replied because it's already been posted like half a dozen times. unless you're literally the first person to discover something, it's already been posted. if you saw it on another site, you are not the first person to discover it. :p

Anteater

no one replied because it's already been posted like half a dozen times. unless you're literally the first person to discover something, it's already been posted. if you saw it on another site, you are not the first person to discover it. :p

I think he reposted because he's still using 50 posts per page

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
50 ppp isn't really an excuse. Subscribe to the thread and when you open it, click the Neogaf icon rather than the thread title or last page. It will take you to the last unread post. That way you can catch up on the thread and no longer be ignorant or ask the same damn questions over and over.

Martian

50 ppp isn't really an excuse. Subscribe to the thread and when you open it, click the Neogaf icon rather than the thread title or last page. It will take you to the last unread post. That way you can catch up on the thread and no longer be ignorant or ask the same damn questions over and over.

Never knew this was possible, TIL.

Still, kind of hard to do with a fast-moving thread like this

I did the same thing

Turfster

But but... that takes like, effort.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I got the impression from Xcom that it is a squad base fps.
I liked WH40K: Dawn of War, is it anything like that?

Nope, not even a little bit. Turn based on a grid, small sized maps. Six units on the map max.

I think it has a demo? Or you can watch a video of the first few missions without being "spoiled" too much.

ngt

Is it me or is Steam Community having some problems? 9 out of 10 times I cannot access it, even opening my inventory is a challenge these days.

Is it safe to go achievement hunting with Steam Community being such a disaster right now?

Or is that stuff handled through something slightly more stable?

Martian

Nope, not even a little bit. Turn based on a grid, small sized maps. Six units on the map max.

I think it has a demo? Or you can watch a video of the first few missions without being "spoiled" too much.

Hmm, will check out those vids (and demo). Thanks dude/dudette!

sprinkles

Why does Arkham City run so poorly? Even with FXAA instead of MSAA and Direct 11 mode off I cannot get steady 60 FPS. Never had a game run so badly on my 7950.
Weird, today it runs way smoother, locked 60FPS with 4xMSAA in DX9 mode. May try DX11 again later tonight.

rtcn63

I really hate that thing where games auto-detect your monitor and only allow you access to "supported" resolutions/aspect ratios, or in some cases, the options are there but the image stick to 4:3 regardless of what resolution you choose. have a CRT but I prefer to play in widescreen. I've read that AMD has a workaround in the CP, too I bad I went Nvidia this gen.

I really hate that thing where games auto-detect your monitor and only allow you access to "supported" resolutions/aspect ratios. (I.e the Metro games) I have a 4:3 CRT but I prefer to play in widescreen. I've read that AMD has a workaround in the CP, too I bad I went Nvidia this gen.
team red is not worth all the other troubles

trust me im team red switching over soon

or maybe its a grass is always greener thing

derFeef

I really hate that thing where games auto-detect your monitor and only allow you access to "supported" resolutions/aspect ratios, or in some cases, the options are there but the image stick to 4:3 regardless of what resolution you choose. have a CRT but I prefer to play in widescreen. I've read that AMD has a workaround in the CP, too I bad I went Nvidia this gen.

GPU scaling, yeah. One check and you are set.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Open the Nvidia CP go to resolution click create custom resolution make the resolution you want to use go find the scaling options and set to aspect ratio and the game will think your monitor isn't 50 years old and let you select a modern aspect ratio

rtcn63

I was team red for two gens (Radeon 9800 and HD4850), so I know what you mean. But I refuse to play new games in 4:3, I ain't havin' dat.

GPU scaling, yeah. One check and you are set.

On Nvidia CP? Doesn't work for those games. Most do allow widescreen support, but certain ones just don't seem to have any workaround with my 4:3 CRT. I've tried like mad.

Open the Nvidia CP go to resolution click create custom resolution make the resolution you want to use go find the scaling options and set to aspect ratio and the game will think your monitor isn't 50 years old and let you select a modern aspect ratio

This I'll give a try. Oh and I mean not having to switch my desktop res each time I boot up a game. Normally it's done automatically.

EDIT: Nope, I already had 1080p setting in the CP.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just finished my 25 hour long Extra-Life gaming marathon and I gotta say, I'm pooped.

5RpjTiw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom