• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

why? i have gta v on xbox and it's amazing. easily the best one since san andreas.
Yeah, no.
I'm not going into it again, but GTA V is a laughably unpolished shitstain of a game. Great systems and graphics, but everything that makes it a 'game' is utter dogshit.

Still rocking the laptop? That was my gateway drug. I dipped me feet in with a decent little laptop, then after 3 or 4 months I built a rig. Then I immediately upgraded my GPU, because there are some things you shouldn't try to save too much money on.
Yup, still got my laptop. I'm probably going to stick with laptops over rigs, just because I'm always commuting between home and school and really I only play indies so it's not like I need an insane set-up to run them

Man, replaying Fallout 3 without a controller is kinda weird at first, but this game is still awesome. I hope Beth releases an official patch to get rid of GFWL, but I guess the modded way works fine, too.

I did this too my man, If the game doesn't click with you it sucks. It didn't click with me however I acknowledge that it is a fine game to many people who loved it.

I have poured an ungodly amount of hours into Skyrim, and I foresee me going in for another go-round soon. I haven't tackled any of the Guild questlines on PC yet, and I've modded most of them to hell and back already.

Yeah, no.
I'm not going into it again, but GTA V is a laughably unpolished shitstain of a game. Great systems and graphics, but everything that makes it a 'game' is utter dogshit.

out of curiosity, what did you think of san andreas, and IV?

personally i'd say
SA: 10/10
IV: 5/10
V: 9/10

V is so much like san andreas. and the online is fantastic, when it works. to me, anyway.

Derrick01

Banned
Why am I spending hours modding Skyrim when I think the game sucks?

I went through a few dozen hour phase like that too. You'll get over it eventually once you realize no mod can make that game fun.

Hell you're already doing the first step with that comment.

Turfster said:
Yeah, no.

What the hell...

Man, replaying Fallout 3 without a controller is kinda weird at first, but this game is still awesome. I hope Beth releases an official patch to get rid of GFWL, but I guess the modded way works fine, too.
Bethesda would never do that, they didn't even bothered to make F3 to work with CPUs with more than 2 cores, we have to tweak that ourselves.

Turfster

out of curiosity, what did you think of san andreas, and IV?

personally i'd say
SA: 10/10
IV: 5/10
V: 9/10

V is so much like san andreas. and the online is fantastic, when it works. to me, anyway.

San Andreas was pretty great, IV was... okay. The lack of checkpoints was a chore, but it was still better than V. The menus for V are worse than the drooling idiot of our first year of UI design could manage, and what we'll laughably call the "story" and the arbitrary roadblocking are a fucking insult to the player. (Also, the radio stations are bad and the online plain out didn't work back when I tried it)

Yeah, no.

Turfster
Derrick02
(Today, 12:37 PM)

But seriously, GTA5 was uneven but still offers a lot of great moments.

San Andreas was pretty great, IV was... okay. The lack of checkpoints was a chore, but it was still better than V. The menus for V are worse than the drooling idiot of our first year of UI design could manage, and what we'll laughably call the "story" and the arbitrary roadblocking are a fucking insult to the player. (Also, the radio stations are bad and the online plain out didn't work back when I tried it)

if story and menus are your main complaints on games then i'd argue that you should be watching a different type of media (seriously, how much menu usage is in the game? there's not that much to do in the menus to begin with besides browsing stats and shit?)

the story was nothing special but that took away nothing from amazingly fun gameplay imo. different strokes i guess. i'm surprised someone exists that enjoyed IV more than V though lol. the gameplay systems are so much more refined and there is flat out lots more to do.

online is basically still a beta but man when it works...killing people with bounties in freeroam freeaim is as satisfying as any online experience i've ever had. pure chaos and skill.

denx

You take that back.

I was out shortly after I was locked into Trevor.
That was when my "this is bullshit and I don't want to be insulted by this game any more" meter hit its limit.

"Insulted by this game"? Really? I haven't played it yet, but I can't imagine GTAV being that bad.

EDIT: although having read a bit about the game, I can understand some people being turned off by the Trevor sections.

Turfster

"Insulted by this game"? Really? I haven't played it yet, but I can't imagine GTAV being that bad.

Cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, "Here player, you've been a good boy, you can do something again. No, you can only do this one thing we want you to do. Yes, you have to do this, because you're playing a sick pathetic psycho douchebag. Nope, not going to let you play the game until you do this totally pointless thing." And then you do the thing and you want to switch back to the other characters, that are at least somewhat interesting, but nope, you're stuck.

That's fucking insulting.

if story and menus are your main complaints on games then i'd argue that you should be watching a different type of media
Yeah, no.

(seriously, how much menu usage is in the game? there's not that much to do in the menus to begin with besides browsing stats and shit?)
No instant race restart (Really? Killing myself is the only way to reset this 5 minute long race?). No setting up of radio stations you like and don't. (This is stuff that takes 5 minutes to implement and has been in competing products for aeons.) Some things are on the phone, some things are in a random other menu. How? Why? Who cares! You go figure out where the thing you're looking for is (spoiler, it's usually not even implemented)

FloatOn

Finished Costume Quest.

Not challenging in the least but it was incredibly charming.

It's been awhile since I've played a turn based rpg. I might have to play more games in this style soon.

I have Last Remnant, what's the steamgaf consensus on that?

Cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, "Here player, you've been a good boy, you can do something again. No, you can only do this one thing we want you to do. Yes, you have to do this, because you're playing a sick pathetic psycho douchebag. Nope, not going to let you play the game until you do this totally pointless thing." And then you do the thing and you want to switch back to the other characters, that are at least somewhat interesting, but nope, you're stuck.

Yeah, no.

No instant race restart (Really? Killing myself is the only way to reset this 5 minute long race?). No setting up of radio stations you like and don't. Some things are on the phone, some things are in a random other menu. How? Why? Who cares! You go figure out where the thing you're looking for is (spoiler, it's usually not even implemented)
Are you Yahtzee?

Edit: you sound like him, and I just read your post in his voice.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I just don't understand you Turfster. First complaining and quitting MGR because the easiest boss at the beginning of the game then disliking GTAV because of being locked into Trevor for a short while and not liking the main menu?

I thought the whole point of being locked in as Trevor for a few missions was to paint how insane he was before switching back to the other characters. You're making it sound like you're locked into him for much longer than you actually are.

denx

Yeah, like I thought Trevor kinda ruined the experience for you. That and the mission design apparently. That's too bad. Personally I don't mind the mission design in GTA games. They're cool things to do to advance the story in between causing mayhem and general nonsense around the map, which has always been the draw of GTA games for me. I think I'll get along fine with GTAV once I get around to play it. Too bad you couldn't enjoy the game though.

I just don't understand you Turfster. First complaining and quitting MGR because the easiest boss at the beginning of the game then disliking GTAV because of being locked into Trevor for a short while and not liking the main menu?
God forbids someone disliking certain designs of games.

Turfster

I just don't understand you Trufster. First complaining and quitting MGR because the easiest boss at the beginning of the game then disliking GTAV because of being locked into Trevor for a short while and not liking the main menu?

I'm old, I'm allowed to be grumpy. Also, GTAV's problems extend way past the "lolitsonlyamenu" thing you're all focusing on =p
I did the easy stage MGR without trouble, then it came back with one of those shitty "we're going to move the camera right up the boss' nostril so you can't see shit" boss fights, and I decided my time was better spent elsewhere. I might go back to it sometime, but not right now.

FloatOn

as long as we are talking about gta5 let me just go on the record and say that yeah it's not perfect but it's the only grand theft auto game that held my attention long enough to actually complete it.

if and when it hits steam you guys will be in for a treat.

Finished Costume Quest.

Not challenging in the least but it was incredibly charming.

It's been awhile since I've played a turn based rpg. I might have to play more games in this style soon.

I have Last Remnant, what's the steamgaf consensus on that?
I played it on 360, but it has an art style that I like, a pretty cool battle system, and a halfway interesting story. Oh and the music is pretty damn good. I hear that the PC version improved on some performance issues and some other things that were wrong in the 360 version. Go for it.

Is it normal for Joe Danger to install an xvid package? I noticed a bunch of new recently installed programs and promptly freaked the fuck out for a second. They had names like Nic's FourCC changer upon closer inspection they're hanging out in an xvid folder though - and I noticed an xvid package installed alongside of joe danger in my install logs. If so couldn't it install a less bloaty xvid package, I don't really need any of the advanced encoding/decoding tools at all.

Also I'm not smoking crack right? this is a thing packed in with Joe Danger and not just some random bullshit I picked up on the internets right? Google returns nothing useful but I remember someone mentioning playing this earlier in the thread. Honestly how thorough is Steam with checking releases for malware because I really don't enjoy random ass codec packages being installed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
God forbids someone disliking certain designs of games.

Eh, to be fair it can be frustrating listening to people shred a game they hardly touched due to some inane complaints. There may not be any "wrong" opinions, but there are certainly opinions not worth listening to or worth discussing.

I know it can be fun to shit on games, particularly popular ones (I'm more a fan of low-hanging fruit like Borderlands 2, Serious Same), but it is generally more destructive to discussion than insightful. Just look at when Derrick enters a thread. People were literally begging him not to purchase Assassin's Creed 4.

Derrick01

Banned
Eh, to be fair it can be frustrating listening to people shred a game they hardly touched due to some inane complaints. There may not be any "wrong" opinions, but there are certainly opinions not worth listening to or worth discussing.

I know it can be fun to shit on games, particularly popular ones (I'm more a fan of low-hanging fruit like Borderlands 2, Serious Same), but it is generally more destructive to discussion than insightful. Just look at when Derrick enters a thread. People were literally begging him not to purchase Assassin's Creed 4.

People in OTs will beg anyone not to say anything bad about a game regardless of how correct it is or not. Some threads are worse than others in that regard. It's definitely my least favorite aspect of them.

Grief.exe said:
Why the hell did he buy AC4?

I didn't. I'm getting it for free at the Target/whoever-else-does-it Buy 2 Get 1 PS4 game deal.

Turfster

Hey, I said I didn't want to get into it! =p
Also, I gave the game more than a fair chance. I played like... 6 or 7 hours of it before I gave up. Anyway, discussion closed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Trust me though, it gets a lot slower/more expensive at the 2k mark. You're looking at buying games that never/barely go on sale at that point. That's what I had to do with the Big Fish and Playfirst catalogues.

I was going to buy iWin's bundles yesterday to bump me up to 1,999 and then buy today the Steam Greenlight Submission Fee to hit 2k, but I had the thought to check Steam Sales and, sure enough, they were discounted during last year's Autumn and Winter Sales. I must have assumed otherwise since they weren't discounted during this year's Summer Sale. Dodged a bullet there!

Even with the non-discounted stuff, you can save a pretty penny buying through traders. I should be able to pick up Big Fish's catalogue for $106 (plus PayPal's fee) as opposed to $170 if buying them myself, for example.

Jase plays dirty.

Hey now, buying region-specific stuff on Steam itself is easy enough, but importing isn't exactly cheap. ;)

Grief.exe

I was buying 4 PS4 games anyway so now I'm getting 2 for free.

It's a matter of perspective I guess.

I can barely name one game that I want on either next-gen console launch lol.

Nothing looks compelling. I am very excited to pick up a dirt cheap PS3 with Last of Us on Black Friday though.

Turfster didn't attack the parts of the game he has yet to encounter, but the ones he had experienced, and he decided quit because of that.

Like I've never finished AC1 because of how repetitive and boring it is, is my opinion not valid because I didn't playthrough that borefest?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Turfster didn't attack the parts of the game he has yet to encounter, but the ones he had experienced, and he decided quit because of that.

Like I've never finished AC1 because of how repetitive and boring it is, is my opinion not valid because I didn't playthrough that borefest?

If you are gonna use that sort of defense then you should probably be careful not to paint with rather broad strokes when attacking the game. You know, like using phrases like "everything that makes it a 'game' is utter dogshit."

denx

I wasn't prepared for War of Cybertron to have such a bangin soundtrack. Damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJFUtzQS6D0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqpODvUUu-I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxrzXZ3rB0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5U6-R9d-hc

Badass.

I'm enjoying WfC a lot. The fisrt two Decepticon missions were kinda slow, but after that it really picks up the pace (
and the holy shit quotient went thorugh the roof when Omega Supreme started wrecking shit
).

I'm about halfway through the game, did the Decepticon campaign and just started the Autobot campaign. Now I really want to play the campaign in coop, but I don't have anyone to play the game with. :(

If you are gonna use that sort of defense then you should probably be careful not to paint with rather broad strokes when attacking the game. You know, like using phrases like "everything that makes it a 'game' is utter dogshit."
I know I didn't, I don't like shitting on games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know I didn't, I don't like shitting on games.

No, he did and when you use sweeping statements like that you are obviously going for a reaction more than a discussion.

I think what it really comes down to is that common sense would be to try to find something of value in a product that you spent a modest amount of money on. If I blew 60$ on GTA5 I would try to find something positive about it so that I would feel slightly less awful about the expenditure. We all look pretty silly when we just rip a game apart on a forum to feel better about wasting 60$ though.

And for the record, I am aware that I am just as guilty of this as anyone else.

Turfster

Can't I even use a bit of well-placed hyperbole any more to balance all the "11/5GOTMillennium!!!!!" that gets thrown at the game?
It's still one of the only games I sold almost immediately after buying it without even finishing it. (Yes, I lost about 20% of my money, but I call that a learning fee.)
Now let's drop the subject.

Let's talk about the possibility that a? the? Call of Juarez will apparently be in the next Groupees Be Mine, along with probably Last Knight, Proteus and whatever the red W and the black and white girl are.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How's How to Survive? Is it Dead Island done right?

Probably because Tycoon is by another dev entirely that copied the iOS game (Game Dev Story). People don't like copies, even if they add new things.

I prefer GDT already by virtue of being in PC and being less... "kitschy" in design.

Joe Molotov

and then buy today the Steam Greenlight Submission Fee to hit 2k

Z0kqP.png
Z0kqP.png
Z0kqP.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Let's talk about the possibility that a? the? Call of Juarez will apparently be in the next Groupees Be Mine, along with probably Last Knight, Proteus and whatever the red W and the black and white girl are.

CoJ being in a bundle would explain this retail sub, which was created just the other day. Now add Tintin and King Kong into the mix, Ubi!

No better way to celebrate having 2k games I'm highly unlikely to play than buying something I'll literally never use. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom