• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop talking about the possible testers because I feel bad for not putting in the effort to complete the tasks required. j/k talk about what you'd like. Also if any of you have ever installed joe danger, could you check if a bunch of xvid nonsense was installed too ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Actually, looking at the FAQ, I don't think there'll be an NDA at all:

Edit: Nice subtle Episode Three reference there, Valve.

It was confirmed its just 1 random Steam machine and 1 Steam controller right?

All that's been said is that the specs of the machines will vary and the controller being included isn't the final one as seen in the 3D renders, but instead a somewhat more crude prototype.

EDIT: Would be nice if they included a monitor too.

A monitor for a device intended to be used in the living room wouldn't make much sense. ;)

Anybody played Lilly Looking Through already? Is it fun?

Why so fast? (><)

You expect to be selected?

I only played the demo and liked it. I find the artstyle charming and the puzzles interesting and the solutions were more based om logic. If you're in doubt play the demo, it's short but gives a general to what expect from the game.

Acccent

Actually, looking at the FAQ, I don't think there'll be an NDA at all

Valve has always been using betas as a super efficient form of advertising and hype-generators, so I don't see why they wouldn't keep doing that with their Steam Machines

JaseC

Valve has always been using betas as a super efficient form of advertising and hype-generators, so I don't see why they wouldn't keep doing that with their Steam Machines

This is Valve's first foray into hardware so it wasn't an unreasonable prognostication that there'd be some sort of NDA involved, especially considering the Steam Machine "standard" will be designed to be enticing to many other companies, too.

Edit: Somebody in a recent thread said Sega should get in on the Steam Machine business. I just laughed it off initially, but since the company is still releasing arcade hardware, it's not exactly implausible.

Arthea

I only played the demo and liked it. I find the artstyle charming and the puzzles interesting and the solutions were more based om logic. If you're in doubt play the demo, it's short but gives a general to what expect from the game.

I like general idea and art style a lot.
Thanks, I'll try demo.

kulapik

I imagine the beta selection process will look something like this:

steamboxbetacplkl.png

At the end you get your steambox.

Jase would be like Violet, but filled with games instead of juice :p

Copons

Incidentally, last year Sega did tease the possibility of a Shenmue re-release for XBLA/PSN.

Stupid article title is stupid.
In the content there is no mention of XBLA/PSN (don't know about the actual interview, as I can't watch it right now) but more of "Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD versions like JSR", so XBLA/PSN AND PC.

But yeah, Shenmue and SoA on Steam would be my lifetime wet dream, so no, ain't gonna happen.

JaseC

Stupid article title is stupid.
In the content there is no mention of XBLA/PSN (don't know about the actual interview, as I can't watch it right now) but more of "Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD versions like JSR", so XBLA/PSN AND PC.

But yeah, Shenmue and SoA on Steam would be my lifetime wet dream, so no, ain't gonna happen.

I tried to watch the video for myself, but couldn't get it to load. Other articles on the matter mention XBLA/PSN, too, but you know how copy-pastey video game journalists can be.

Copons

I tried to watch the video for myself, but couldn't get it to load. Other articles on the matter mention XBLA/PSN, too, but you know how copy-pastey video game journalists can be.

Yup also!
But my point (in a very unclear way :D , but I'm in bed with a friggin fever and my mind is numb as hell) was more that's sad that, in 2012, a somewhat authoritative game mag totally overlooks the hypotetical PC release on the article title, just becase eh, PC, who cares about it. :(

wetflame

Pizza Dog
For those people that use backlog/game completion trackers, would you mark a game as complete if you've beaten it on console but not on Steam? Thought I'd try some out so have been using steamcompletionist.net, but don't know whether to mark stuff I haven't played on Steam but have finshed elsewhere as "beaten". Suppose it depends on whether I'll actually want to play through those games again on PC.

I realise this involves the concept of actually playing games so I'll understand if people feel uncomfortable talking about it.

JaseC

Yup also!
But my point (in a very unclear way :D , but I'm in bed with a friggin fever and my mind is numb as hell) was more that's sad that, in 2012, a somewhat authoritative game mag totally overlooks the hypotetical PC release on the article title, just becase eh, PC, who cares about it. :(

I let the video buffer for a while and it worked. To be fair to the websites that reported on it, the title of the interview is literally "The next Dreamcast game on XBLA and PSN".

I'm old, I'm allowed to be grumpy. Also, GTAV's problems extend way past the "lolitsonlyamenu" thing you're all focusing on =p
I did the easy stage MGR without trouble, then it came back with one of those shitty "we're going to move the camera right up the boss' nostril so you can't see shit" boss fights, and I decided my time was better spent elsewhere. I might go back to it sometime, but not right now.

*zimmer frame bump*

Getting older is awesome. One is almost expected to be grumpy by other people so one gets a free pass :D.

How was this person able to IM me? I make sure to keep my friend's list clean because of a previous DDOS harassment problem I had. I'm in the Steam Trading Cards Group, is that how he was able to IM me? I thought a prompt would show up when someone from a Steam Group wanted to IM me.

0JVkJkZ.png

What a charming fellow :/.

Yup also!

:( Get well soon Copons! *hugs*

For those people that use backlog/game completion trackers, would you mark a game as complete if you've beaten it on console but not on Steam? Thought I'd try some out so have been using steamcompletionist.net, but don't know whether to mark stuff I haven't played on Steam but have finshed elsewhere as "beaten". Suppose it depends on whether I'll actually want to play through those games again on PC.

I realise this involves the concept of actually playing games so I'll understand if people feel uncomfortable talking about it.

LOL

I don't use them but if I did I would do what works for me and wouldn't care about how that fit in with other's usage of that service.

are you high?

Don't wake the beast! [the stupid argument, not Turfster]

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine input into discussions, both on game hubs and over at SPUF, will be taken into account, too.
I weep for the poor guy who has to wade through that swamp of feces that are the Steam forums in order to see the two or three worthwhile contributions that have been made in its entire history. That's an empty shell of a human being in the making, right there.

I wonder how many lobotomies one would have to go through in order to remove the pain and any kind of memory of said torture of the mind. I, for one, don't envy him in the least.

Sir, I am duly chastened. I was forgetting about the Official Beverage of the 2013 Steam Thread(s). Though to be fair, it was a damn fine cup of coffee, especially with that slice of cherry pie.
It's never too late to repent, my fellow SteamGAFfer. You could start redeeming yourself by grabbing all the yerba bags (don't know how it's called in English) scattered around the world in Alan Wake 2, but you'll have to wait until the game is released first.

Arthea

This concept of playing games is disturbing. It really has no place in this thread. Just think of actually playing hundreds of games! Insanity, pure insanity!

I don't keep any backlog tracking anymore, also I haven't seriously played any game played before, on consoles or not on steam, and I have quite a few of those on steam. I just thought that I might make separate category for those games, thanks for idea!

JaseC

Well that and Skies of Arcadia were supposed to be the next ones up so I wonder what happened with that. Also the ports of Shenmue have apparently been done for quite a while.

Gamerzines claimed it was told by "an anonymous source" that HD remasters of the Shemnue games have been collecting dust for more than a year, and no other reputable sites commented. I wouldn't place much stock in the rumour.

Gamerzines claimed it was told by "an anonymous source" that HD remasters of the Shemnue games have been collecting dust for more than a year, and no other reputable sites commented. I wouldn't place much stock in the rumour.

Also done could mean many different things to different people. Just because its "done" doesn't mean its in any state to be released.

I do wonder. How much work / money is needed to get Dreamcast games working via emulation to a releasable state? I would buy a ton of dreamcast games off steam.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well that and Skies of Arcadia were supposed to be the next ones up so I wonder what happened with that. Also the ports of Shenmue have apparently been done for quite a while.

The torture, it is excruciating. Why do we all keep teasing ourselves like this????

Why can't Sega just do what we want of them? :(

Crub

Dream Machine

That could potentially be really beneficial for Valve. Think of all the die-hard Dreamcast nostalgics who would jump on that if done right!

Give the machine a sleek white look, put a Dreamcast logo on it, include a nice controller, and have the machine preloaded with Linux ports of Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue 1 & 2, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Typing of the Dead, Nights, Sonic Generations, Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed and some Genesis classics.

I played a little of Huntsman: The Orphanage last night. I enjoyed myself but I just seemed to be wandering through rooms setting off designated scare points. And I didnt realize you start with a flashlight until about an hour in.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I tend to think of these trackers as a kind of to-do list. So if you bought the game just because maybe you might wanna return to it someday after the console dies, mark it done. If you specifically intended to replay the game on PC for whatever reason (double-dipping on achievements, perhaps) leave it on the list.

Anteater

That could potentially be really beneficial for Valve. Think of all the die-hard Dreamcast nostalgics who would jump on that if done right!

Give the machine a sleek white look, put a Dreamcast logo on it, include a nice controller, and have the machine preloaded with Linux ports of Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue 1 & 2, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Typing of the Dead, Nights, Sonic Generations, Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed and some Genesis classics.

Oh man I would go for Sega if they're one of the choices.

I wonder if different companies will come up with their own version of steam controllers, or will they go with the exact same one as the prototype?

JaseC

There's nothing in the meat of the text that screams "Fake!" to me, but "Cheers, The Steam Team" raises an eyebrow. We'll know soon enough.

Well, according to a guy on reddit it's real.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1ps7si/steam_holiday_sale_start_date_leaked/

Unfortunately to Valve and others, the screenshot is real and it is not a fake.
The screenshot was taken by a Russian developer who has a page on Steam Store (and whose game has been Greenlit some time ago). It was posted on a couple of forums. He also sent one of the copies to me (because I'm the chief editor of the Steam public page on VK.com so he wanted me to publish it).
Here's the full version of the screenshot (just UI and stuff): http://i.imgur.com/WdeErP3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom