• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolor

Kind of feeling like a sucker buying a bunch of those games for "sale" prices when people are picking up those and even more for ~$4.

Derrick01

Banned
Bruce Wayne isn't kidding

zJ64cl6.png

I feel like Bruce Wayne could have chipped in a bit more than his lunch money for charity though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The presence of a Bruce Wayne shifting his amount as time goes on does play pretty well into the conspiracy that the companies behind the bundle game the system to prevent a total price collapse.

mBBNQj1.jpg

Turfster

The presence of a Bruce Wayne shifting his amount as time goes on does play pretty well into the conspiracy that the companies behind the bundle game the system to prevent a total price collapse.

I think it's just a bunch of jokers that have the same "funny" name idea.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The BTA was 21....!? Jesus.

When one person has purchased a game, the beat the average is what they paid. So if someone from WB goes in and pays $25, then the BTA is $25. But then when a second person purchases it for $1, the BTA becomes $12.50. To calculate an average (well, a mean), you sum up all of the values and then divide by the number of values.

For example, if there are three people in the room, and one is 6 feet tall, the next person is 5 foot 8, and the last person is 5 foot 10, the average height of the three people is 5 foot 10. You can check my workings and I promise you'll be able to calculate it yourself.

kevin1025

Banned
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

FEAR 2 -- MB-23498711D356F76D - Taken by Tesseract
FEAR 3 -- MB-ED11E7DCF1B75A6C - Taken by intheinbetween

I'm still sorta new to this, so if the keys don't work, whoever wins I'll send you the gift link in a PM. Just let me know.

morningbus

I think it's just a bunch of jokers that have the same "funny" name idea.

I love to kid around and I think I have a pretty great sense of humor. But $2,100 to have the words Bruce Wayne on a website isn't even a joke the new, disgusting, faceless Joker would find funny.

However, if it was something more nefarious, I'd like to think they wouldn't be so brazen as to use Batman's alter ego.

Unless it really is them. Now that would be funny.

Alright I'm getting ready to buy Max Payne 3 from Newegg. It's $6 per copy and there is a limit of 3 per customer. If anyone wants me to buy 1 for them and can paypal me the money let me know.

MNC

When one person has purchased a game, the beat the average is what they paid. So if someone from WB goes in and pays $25, then the BTA is $25. But then when a second person purchases it for $1, the BTA becomes $12.50. To calculate an average (well, a mean), you sum up all of the values and then divide by the number of values.

For example, if there are three people in the room, and one is 6 feet tall, the next person is 5 foot 8, and the last person is 5 foot 10, the average height of the three people is 5 foot 10. You can check my workings and I promise you'll be able to calculate it yourself.

I am quite aware of the ways of calculating an average. I can't quite tell if that whole post was sarcastic or not :p Despite all that, my surprise was more aimed at the fact it plummeted hard since it's now like, 4 dollars.

Kind of feeling like a sucker buying a bunch of those games for "sale" prices when people are picking up those and even more for ~$4.

I dont. I beat the average myself and the only games I wanted from the deal was Fear 2 and 3. It's for charity. And the difference between what you paid and what everyone is paying now is tiny. It might be large percentage wise, but by dollar amount per game it's tiny.

morningbus

I am quite aware of the ways of calculating an average. I can't quite tell if that whole post was sarcastic or not :p Despite all that, my surprise was more aimed at the fact it plummeted hard since it's now like, 4 dollars.

Stump's broader point is that it's basic math and not something you should be surprised about, really.

kulapik

Nice new gifting bethod. Skipping this one since the only I don't have is LOTR, and I don't really care about it. Well, there's FEAR too, but meh :p

Vibranium

Banned
I snagged all the games, pretty freaking awesome. And I went by Edward Nigma, nothing wrong with playing around with names :p

Plus I went as The Riddler for Halloween :D

kevin1025

Banned
Where do I find the key? Isn't it only a link?

PS Midweek Madness - Wargame: Airland Battle, 66% Off

That's where I'm having issues. The instructions on the site mentions the key is in the link at the end, but I just tried to extract it for ModBot and it didn't work. Unless I did it wrong?

True enough, but surely it would make more sense to use a median rather than a mean. After all, if Bill Gates chose to post in this thread, on average we'd all be multi-millionaires if you use the latter method.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

First purchaser: $21. Average before launch = $21
Next purchaser: $21? That's crazy, I'll pay $1, average drops to $10.50
Next purchaser: I'll pay $10.50, average sticks around 10.50
Next purchaser, I'll pay $1, average goes to $8.30
repeat for the first few dozen purchasers

Average gets low enough so that most people are incentivized to BTA, average starts to climb. Past 1000, the impact of any one person on the average is so dilluted that it basically becomes a buy-in price not a moving average. By 50,000+ purchases it's rock stable.

The only weird thing about this bundle that's any different is that we got a screenshot of the page before launch and they launched a few minutes late so people were refreshing as it launched. Normally during that first few minute average-establishing period none of us see it because the timing window is too tight.

True enough, but surely it would make more sense to use a median rather than a mean. After all, if Bill Gates chose to post in this thread, on average we'd all be multi-millionaires if you use the latter method.

It would not at all make sense to use a median precisely because few very large purchases prop up the mean and that's obviously part of their objective. Like, someone paying $5,000 is making up for 2500 people not beating the average in terms of keeping the BTA mark hovering around $4. In a median system, he makes up for exactly one person.

Copons

That would be actually fine for me. Multi-millionaire by osmosis is my lifetime dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom