• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

The new option for allowing downloads when games are running is great but would be a lot better if it was on by default, the only time you would want it off is for multiplayer games.

Any idea what's in it?

Not as yet. They seem to be playing their cards pretty close to their chests. I don't know if there is any clue to be gleaned from the banner image?:

BYVXG3nCEAEaqrg.png

EDIT: Probably not. The banner for the previous RPG Bundle is pretty generic.

Chronoja

That's the thing, though: it's an HL2 mod with no microtransactions.

None so far but you get the impression they might put up microtransations for cosmetic character models or something in the future. Not sure though.

Would be nice if they put up a "paid" version, make you eligible for cards and officially +1 your games list.

The_Monk

I've wanting some neat Strategy games but I've been away so long from them that I no longer know what to look for. I've played most of the Age of Empires, the old Starcraft not these recent ones, Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars and Red Alert, I think.

I really like the classic game type of build your base, infantry then attack and defend. Simple as that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
None so far but you get the impression they might put up microtransations for cosmetic character models or something in the future. Not sure though.

Would be nice if they put up a "paid" version, make you eligible for cards and officially +1 your games list.

Given it's a mod, I'd guess that the game can't be monetised unless a Source licence is purchased.

Edit: The Black Flag app was updated just a few minutes ago. I wonder if Ubi will get around to removing the region lock on the old RU/CIS subs today, because time's a tickin':

Available: 22 November 2013

This game will unlock in approximately 2 weeks, 1 day and 5 hours

FloatOn

I've wanting some neat Strategy games but I've been away so long from them that I no longer know what to look for. I've played most of the Age of Empires, the old Starcraft not these recent ones, Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars and Red Alert, I think.

I really like the classic game type of build your base, infantry then attack and defend. Simple as that.

I can't handle complicated RTS games. Something about them just goes way over my comprehension.

However, there are some indie strategy games that scale things back (and put interesting spins on the genre) that I've enjoyed. Those being:

Galcon Fusion
Swords and Soldiers HD
Rock of Ages
Hero Academy
Anomaly 1 and 2

I would really enjoy this bundle if it had any
all
of the following:

Skulls of the Shogun
CastleStorm
Pixeljunk Monsters
Ironclad Tactics
Cannon Brawl

Have you played Rise of Nations? I'm still holding out hope that it might appear on Steam after the 38 Studios auction this month.

If you are interested in trying something a little different you could do worse than AI War. It's heavily asymmetrical (your enemy is VASTLY more numerous and powerful than you), which makes for some interesting strategic choices and clever AI moves. It might not be quite what you are looking for if you just want a "simple" attack en masse type of game, but I thought it might be worth mentioning anyway. There's a very generous demo (including tutorials and full campaign) if you fancy giving it a go. If you find you like it I might even have a key somewhere I could give you...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Final Exam Impressions:

Beat the whole entire game on the default hardest difficulty (you unlock another difficulty after beating the game once) with three friends. Took about 6 hours.

The combat system is actually really great in this, and provides a lot of fun. It is less of a typical beat-em up style fighting system and more like a 2D version of Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. You have melee weapons, various unlockable moves (from sliding to enemy juggling toss-ups), firearms, and explosives. As you hurt things, you gain combos, and combos are ranked with a score multiplier based on the number of the hits, variety of attacks used, different techniques, and the like, and which ends with your combo being ranked with a grade between F to S. However, get hit once and you lose your whole combo, but you also can 'cash-in' your combo at any time, which will rank it immediately in case in fear of losing it by being hit. This all gets very addicting, and is helped by a fairly nice and varied selection of weapons one can use (ranging from crowbars, fire axes, chainsaws, AK-47s, Sawed-Off Double Barrel Shotgun, rocket launchers, grenades, cluster bombs, and more).

And the graphics and music also deserve mentioning. The game has a really nice looking comic-style it goes with, which legitimately looks really nice. The game sounds right too, with some nice music that is cheesy while also catchy, and character and weapon sounds that are also amusing but feel right. Essentially the controls, the mechanics, the audio, and the graphics are all well-done.

But then the game has some serious bumps in the road. The first couple of stages are excellent. They have some great ideas, variety, creativity. They are honestly very well designed stages and if the whole game was designed like the first couple of stages this would be a huge recommendation from me.

But they're not.

The first two levels are wholly original levels, but then the next six levels (which is the rest of the game, as its eight stages long) is going to the same two locations three times each. They make you do different things, sure, and there are a -few- new areas you go to you previously didn't each time you visit the locations again, but it gets repetitve. The game tries to disguise this with new enemies, but a lot of the new enemies are the same enemies, just tougher and with a few new moves. And then the game has literally the same boss you fight over and over again through the course of the game except he gets bigger and bigger and slowly gets new moves added, but he gets extremely repetitive to fight. They try and mix him up from time to time, but it still feels rather cheap. The exception is the final boss, who is a different boss, but then he also felt a tad too easy.

Which leads to some other flaws. I understand they were focused squarely on gameplay and all that, but there is a slight story to what is going on, but it is very minimalist and only features short few-second cutscenes after completing every major objective. The thing that feels weird is there does seem to be a story going on here (there are scenes of story-like things happening and some reoccurring characters), but you don't know anything as no one speaks and all the scenes are so short. Felt like it could of been interesting and funny too.

The stages are fun and a bit open-ended, often with multiple objectives to complete, allowing friends to stick together or split up if they desire, and I enjoyed the element of hunting down secrets and weapons with friends (there's seven secrets and two weapons in each level to obtain). The stages also try to mix things up with unique stage sections, that are more hit than miss I feel (my favorites being the stage segments in the first stage, the fourth stage, and the last stage). Still, some of the normal stage objectives get repetitive, as a lot of the normal stage objectives involve you collecting items around the area and bringing them to a drop-off point, protecting some character, or carrying dangerous explosives that means you cannot get hit and drop them off somewhere. They can be fun, but are too overused for their own good.

It's not a bad game, it just feels like a good game plagued by issues that if they had overcome, could of been a great game. Mechanics are great, good production values, and it actually is quite a bit of fun a lot of the time, but the first couple stages felt like the best part of the game, and some moments in the later levels felt they might be a lot more appreciated if you hadn't been to the same stage a few times before (the last level was actually pretty fun, but soured by the fact this was our third time visiting this location and this felt more like a more fun spin on the stage we'd already been too twice).

I'd say worth it for those who can deal with some repetition bumps and have friends to play with, and it isn't that expensive, but it feels like a missed opportunity to be something more than that.

Seanspeed

Banned
Same here. Its mainly that I don't have time to really get in-depth with everything.

Anyways, just finished Shelter. Took me about 82 minutes, so it'd be between 60-100 minutes depending on how quickly you move through it. I cant say its a great game, because its not from a mechanics perspective or anything. But its unique, has a lovely art style(even though its as if a brightness setting has been set way too high through most of it) and has some interesting ideas that got me thinking how cool this 'nature survival' genre could be.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, apparently this was all I needed to do, install the DirectX file in the ELFC folder and then run it as admin and under Win7 instead of Admin/Vista like GTA4 vanilla.

So stupid. :| At least I can play it now, yay?

You can try Dvinity: Dragon Commander, too hard for me though.

JaseC

So, apparently this was all I needed to do, install the DirectX file in the ELFC folder and then run it as admin and under Win7 instead of Admin/Vista like GTA4 vanilla.

So stupid. :| At least I can play it now, yay?

At this point, your journey to get the game running will prove to be longer than that which the game itself offers. :p

The_Monk

I can't handle complicated RTS games. Something about them just goes way over my comprehension.

I have some of those fellow GAFfer, however I like the old Classic style of Strategy games like the ones I mentioned before. ;)

Have you played Rise of Nations? I'm still holding out hope that it might appear on Steam after the 38 Studios auction this month

I think I have, long time ago and I also have Cossacks Art of War on Steam and Empire Earth Gold Edition on GoG.com and these is the types of games I wanted to get but with some modern graphics or updated things like water details and so on.

I wonder if the HD Versions of Age of Empires is any good.

Same here. Its mainly that I don't have time to really get in-depth with everything.

Same, it's the only genre I like to keep the classic style of building, attacking and defending just like old Age of Empires & Starcraft games.

You can try Dvinity: Dragon Commander, too hard for me though.

No Easy Mode?

----------

On a side note, I installed GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE for the first time in this PC.

Why? Because I got Dirt 3 and I wanted to play this game(I wanted Dirt 2).

I got two problems:

First problem: My Keyboard stopped responding. Just like that. I was putting the Serial Code and could not type nothing at all, went back to windows and it was the same! I had to remove the usb from the PC and put it back on.

Second Problem: I wanted to take a Screenshot to post it later on my Activity so I could share it with my GAFfers. For some RANDOM reason once I clicked "F12" the game kept on taking screenshots for the ENTIRE race and when it finished it kept taking more! Remove my USB (from the Keyboard) from my PC did not made it stop! I had to leave the game from Steam and then disconnect the Keyboard. I had about a hundred of pictures that I could upload. So, so many of them.

Most. Random. Thing. Ever.

GFWL

Please. Go away, please...

EDIT:

Oh my God & Buddha, I was think a hundred but it more, much more! This was so random:

1280 Screenshots.

1280!

izJZbCi.png

The_Monk

I have to play on "casual" at some point to avoid being crushed, I know I suck at strategy games in general, but this has to be one of the hardest one I've ever played.

Sounds like XCOM to me, I love the game but I find it hard even on Casual sometimes.

1280? The number doesn't seem to be random. What do you plan to do with those images? Are you going to make a huge gif animation?

The game didn't stop taking them! Even removing the keyboard didn't help. It's GFWL I tell you... I just wanted to take ONE screenshot, one fellow GAFfer.

Jawmuncher

Spilled coffee on the side of my deployment laptop, everything seems to be ok though.
Though when I put it on it's side more coffee than I would have liked came out. But seemed I caught it quick enough since it was on the vent side.

Guess we'll see if there are any actual effects as the week progresses, but as of now my fans are working fine and my temperatures seem fine as well

Worse comes to worse i'll just get another laptop. Hell I kinda already want to

Freezard

Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

vRvbDCu.png
F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin -- MB-8008D8AE0C6889D2
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-13925EE20B22F079 - Taken by afternoon delight

My gaming for past two weeks: have a hour to play, spend 40 minutes trying to get the game work, enjoy the crap out of the last 20 minutes.

Li Kao

The Bundle-In-A-Box Indie Strategy Bundle has been released.

$1.99 for:

• Us & Them - Cold War
  • Storm Over The Pacific (Desura)
  • AI War: Fleet Command (Steam, Desura)
  • Creeper World
  • Strategic War in Europe (Desura)
  • The Trouble With Robots
  • Age of Conquest III (Desura)

BTA for:

• Mayhem Intergalactic (Steam, Desura)
  • Project Aftermath (Steam)
  • Fall Weiss
  • Creeper World 2

kaleii

The Bundle-In-A-Box Indie Strategy Bundle has been released.

$1.99 for:

• Us & Them - Cold War
  • Storm Over The Pacific (Desura)
  • AI War: Fleet Command (Steam, Desura)
  • Creeper World
  • Strategic War in Europe (Desura)
  • The Trouble With Robots
  • Age of Conquest III (Desura)

BTA for:

• Mayhem Intergalactic (Steam, Desura)
  • Project Aftermath (Steam)
  • Fall Weiss
  • Creeper World 2

Erm, anyone have any impressions they'd like to share? Haven't heard of any of the games.

Erm, anyone have any impressions they'd like to share? Haven't heard of any of the games.

As stated further up, AI War is superb with plenty of content, even with only the base game - but it might be overwhelming for some. The Creeper World games are supposed to be pretty good too, though I haven't played them myself.

Jawmuncher

Final Exam Impressions:

Beat the whole entire game on the default hardest difficulty (you unlock another difficulty after beating the game once) with three friends. Took about 6 hours.

The combat system is actually really great in this, and provides a lot of fun. It is less of a typical beat-em up style fighting system and more like a 2D version of Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. You have melee weapons, various unlockable moves (from sliding to enemy juggling toss-ups), firearms, and explosives. As you hurt things, you gain combos, and combos are ranked with a score multiplier based on the number of the hits, variety of attacks used, different techniques, and the like, and which ends with your combo being ranked with a grade between F to S. However, get hit once and you lose your whole combo, but you also can 'cash-in' your combo at any time, which will rank it immediately in case in fear of losing it by being hit. This all gets very addicting, and is helped by a fairly nice and varied selection of weapons one can use (ranging from crowbars, fire axes, chainsaws, AK-47s, Sawed-Off Double Barrel Shotgun, rocket launchers, grenades, cluster bombs, and more).

And the graphics and music also deserve mentioning. The game has a really nice looking comic-style it goes with, which legitimately looks really nice. The game sounds right too, with some nice music that is cheesy while also catchy, and character and weapon sounds that are also amusing but feel right. Essentially the controls, the mechanics, the audio, and the graphics are all well-done.

But then the game has some serious bumps in the road. The first couple of stages are excellent. They have some great ideas, variety, creativity. They are honestly very well designed stages and if the whole game was designed like the first couple of stages this would be a huge recommendation from me.

But they're not.

The first two levels are wholly original levels, but then the next six levels (which is the rest of the game, as its eight stages long) is going to the same two locations three times each. They make you do different things, sure, and there are a -few- new areas you go to you previously didn't each time you visit the locations again, but it gets repetitve. The game tries to disguise this with new enemies, but a lot of the new enemies are the same enemies, just tougher and with a few new moves. And then the game has literally the same boss you fight over and over again through the course of the game except he gets bigger and bigger and slowly gets new moves added, but he gets extremely repetitive to fight. They try and mix him up from time to time, but it still feels rather cheap. The exception is the final boss, who is a different boss, but then he also felt a tad too easy.

Which leads to some other flaws. I understand they were focused squarely on gameplay and all that, but there is a slight story to what is going on, but it is very minimalist and only features short few-second cutscenes after completing every major objective. The thing that feels weird is there does seem to be a story going on here (there are scenes of story-like things happening and some reoccurring characters), but you don't know anything as no one speaks and all the scenes are so short. Felt like it could of been interesting and funny too.

The stages are fun and a bit open-ended, often with multiple objectives to complete, allowing friends to stick together or split up if they desire, and I enjoyed the element of hunting down secrets and weapons with friends (there's seven secrets and two weapons in each level to obtain). The stages also try to mix things up with unique stage sections, that are more hit than miss I feel (my favorites being the stage segments in the first stage, the fourth stage, and the last stage). Still, some of the normal stage objectives get repetitive, as a lot of the normal stage objectives involve you collecting items around the area and bringing them to a drop-off point, protecting some character, or carrying dangerous explosives that means you cannot get hit and drop them off somewhere. They can be fun, but are too overused for their own good.

It's not a bad game, it just feels like a good game plagued by issues that if they had overcome, could of been a great game. Mechanics are great, good production values, and it actually is quite a bit of fun a lot of the time, but the first couple stages felt like the best part of the game, and some moments in the later levels felt they might be a lot more appreciated if you hadn't been to the same stage a few times before (the last level was actually pretty fun, but soured by the fact this was our third time visiting this location and this felt more like a more fun spin on the stage we'd already been too twice).

I'd say worth it for those who can deal with some repetition bumps and have friends to play with, and it isn't that expensive, but it feels like a missed opportunity to be something more than that.

Sounds like something worth grabbing on a steam sale.
Especially if there a 4 pack or something for me and my friends.

Besides that I wanna say i have obscure the aftermath sitting on my PSP.
Is it worth a play? I recall someone saying the 2nd game wasn't as good as the first though.

Echoplx

- ABOUT PROJECT ZOMBOID EARLY ACCESS ON STEAM -

i have like always approximately 350 000 posts to catch up on, but it is worth noting, in case you didn't know, that the dev plan on increasing the price of the game really soon.
If you want to buy it for cheap, buy on desura (which gives a steam key too).

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/11/its-been-a-long-road/

50% off before the game even releases? I'd be stupid not to buy this!

pls someone stop me

JaseC

I was kinda expecting that to happen, but I thought you had already made sure that wasn't the case.

Oh well... I tried to help.. :D

I triple-checked the registry!

Code:
[URL="http://steamdb.info/sub/16486/"]219820	[B]Game[/B]	Greenlight Developer Access (Steam Greenlight Submission Fee)	2 months ago[/URL]

I was misled. :( No matter, I suppose: I would've bought it eventually regardless.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Saoirse Ronan Avatar Simulator 2013: Craic Edition will be a real thing one day!

What if this leads to you making a game so successful that makes you enough money to cover all Steam purchases you made in the past 3 years?

This should be a movie, starring...... I wonder who.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I triple-checked the registry!

Code:
[URL="http://steamdb.info/sub/16486/"]219820	[B]Game[/B]	Greenlight Developer Access (Steam Greenlight Submission Fee)	2 months ago[/URL]

I was misled. :( No matter, I suppose: I would've bought it eventually regardless.

At least you gave to charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom