• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Just for heads up, it seems to be Mac only, and if IIRC CoD series is one of the very few that don't use Steamplay for multi OS compatibility.

EDIT: uh, no, CoD: MW seems to actually be Steamplay http://store.steampowered.com/app/7940/
Just, it seemed weird that on StackSocial they stressed out in various place about Mac (like, there is only the OSX logo, and in system requirements, they just talk about Mac :D )

It's a very Apple-centric site, they probably don't want to confuse their usual customers. Interestingly the teaser on top says 'Grab Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for Mac or PC - Just $5'. And you're right, I just bought it, PC.

so, is it Steamplay? can I redeem it in Windows Steam client?

y

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Thanks for the tip... took a bite and got myself Dirt2...but just like with Grid2 I'll probably end up never playing it :p

It's a requirement for posting in this thread.

I just bought CoD4. I don't even like CoD. I'm a tuna man.

I actually enjoyed the original MW campaign back when I played it near release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks, that gives some hope.
To buy or not to buy now, when it's unplayable to me, that is the question!

On one hand, there's no harm in waiting since the game obviously isn't going anywhere any time soon. On the other, at $6.24, even if you were to wait you wouldn't be saving much at all, assuming a better deal comes along. Flip a coin. :p

awwhh yisss

pjXl2iW.jpg

mobile games that should come to steam pt.2

Ubi is dumb

First Tintin and King Kong, then Rayman Fiesta Run.

ekim

I built a little FireFox extension that shows the current minimum price for each object in your inventory.

untitled41ssk.png

It's slow as fuck but it's working... :lol

(and only for € currency so far I guess...)

Copons

It's a very Apple-centric site, they probably don't want to confuse their usual customers. Interestingly the teaser on top says 'Grab Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for Mac or PC - Just $5'. And you're right, I just bought it, PC.

Oh, I didn't notice that super tiny disclaimer!

I'm sorry to have created some confusion here, but since I discovered that some CoD games have Mac and PC separated I'm always super careful with them.

It's a requirement for posting in this thread.

I just bought CoD4. I don't even like CoD. I'm a tuna man.

I actually enjoyed the original MW campaign back when I played it near release.

I loved MW and MW2 singles, back then. I still think they're very good examples of how to do an "FPS on rail" campaign, thinning out all the fat and tightening the entertainment to just what is truly worth playing.

MRORANGE

I built a little FireFox extension, that shows the current minimum price for each object in your inventory.

http://abload.de/img/untitled41ssk.png[/MG]

(and only for € currency so far I guess...)[/QUOTE]

This is going to be useful and depressing at the same time, good work!

oipic

Hey guys, what's going on-

Gosh, that's quite some giveaway, Dusk Golem - thanks. You and the many others who have done similarly really do foster a great spirit of giving and community here. SteamGAF <3

I should really take a day off work to find and sort through my spare keys - I think the fear of inadvertently giving away a used key or two has probably stopped me doing a mass-scale giveaway.

Would love to know how you guys are all so organised!

Alright, so I've tried to acquire the Steam key for my copy of FEAR 2 from the Humble Bundle to send to modbot but I appear to have made a balls of this. I had the URL for gifting the game, but then I went and used it to try and get the key and when I click on the button on the Humble Bundle website I am met with the message "Your Steam account already owns this game". How do I give this thing away?!!! First one to explain gets FEAR2 I guess.

tylergregg

Neo Member
Alright, so I've tried to acquire the Steam key for my copy of FEAR 2 from the Humble Bundle to send to modbot but I appear to have made a balls of this. I had the URL for gifting the game, but then I went and used it to try and get the key and when I click on the button on the Humble Bundle website I am met with the message "Your Steam account already owns this game". How do I give this thing away?!!! First one to explain gets FEAR2 I guess.

HB doesn't give out the actual steam keys anymore.

edit: what he said
vvvvvvv

ekim

This is going to be useful and depressing at the same time, good work!

Not sure if I will release it. It's just a "works on my machine" thing at the moment and I don't have the time to really test it and make it work for everyone. (Currencies...)
And I'm not sure if this would be against the TOS of Steam :eek:

But if anyone is interested in the source code, feel free to PM me. :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Gosh, that's quite some giveaway, Dusk Golem - thanks. You and the many others who have done similarly really do foster a great spirit of giving and community here. SteamGAF <3

I should really take a day off work to find and sort through my spare keys - I think the fear of inadvertently giving away a used key or two has probably stopped me doing a mass-scale giveaway.

Would love to know how you guys are all so organised!

Combination of good memory, and I recently did a huge giveaway to my live stream audience last July, so since then I've written down spare keys in a text file if I end up not using them, organizing it by open keys, keys that I am giving away at this moment, and delete them when they've been given away.

So text file first, but started with having to use my memory, but after that taking a few moments when I purchase bundles or other things for giveaways to write them all down.

And for anyone who wants to enter it, still open for another 21 or so hours.

JaseC

Combination of good memory, and I recently did a huge giveaway to my live stream audience last July, so since then I've written down spare keys in a text file if I end up not using them, organizing it by open keys, keys that I am giving away at this moment, and delete them when they've been given away.

So text file first, but started with having to use my memory, but after that taking a few moments when I purchase bundles or other things for giveaways to write them all down.

And for anyone who wants to enter it, still open for another 21 or so hours:

You can just link to the original giveaway post. This would save people having to scroll past 30-odd images. ;)

dk_

I built a little FireFox extension, that shows the current minimum price for each object in your inventory.

untitled41ssk.png

I need that for Chrome. :)

JaseC

You know, I'm actually a little glad that Saoirse missed out on Episode VII, because if she'd gotten the role, then she would've done voice work for the video game tie-in, and since EA has the Star Wars licence, it would've been tied to Origin. :p

(I would've pre-ordered it. :()

I still love Sleeping Dogs, but it's time to move over to other gaming gifs.

They're from that id Tech 5 survival horror game, right?

Have Valve made some changes to the badge pages that's borked Enhanced Steam? Because the direct links to the marketplace card listings isn't working for me anymore.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Move over Sleeping Dogs, hello to:
GOAT.
I loved MW and MW2 singles, back then. I still think they're very good examples of how to do an "FPS on rail" campaign, thinning out all the fat and tightening the entertainment to just what is truly worth playing.

It blew me away back in the day. The moment when
you control a soldier caught in a nuclear blast
was the point when I said "Okay, this is what next-gen is."

Unfortunately, WaW is the only subsequent game in the series I've been able to play more than an hour of. All the others just bored me to death. I've never been fond of the MP, either. The toxic community may have a lot to do with that, though.

ekim

Well here is the source code for the addon:

untitled41ssk.png

(The &#8364; symbol was hard coded for that screen - I removed it in this version here - see readme)
You need SDK 1.14 and the menuitems lib.

readme
Code:
What?
The addon shows you the currently lowest price on the market for each of your inventory items.

1. Login to Steam
2. Browse to your inventory and select only Community items in the dropdown box
3. Click the little Steam icon in your addon bar
4. wait... (you won't be able to do anything on the side until is processed all items on all pages)

Currently only works, when the your local currency symbol is written behind the price.

known issues:
- the prices are shown without currency. (it's your local one)
- depending on the size of your inventory, Firefox might crash :)

main.js
Code:
var widgets = require("sdk/widget");
var tabs = require("sdk/tabs");
var self = require("sdk/self");

var widget = widgets.Widget({
  id: "Steam inventory price",
  label: "Click to calculate",
  contentURL: "http://images.wikia.com/creepypasta/images/6/60/Steam_favicon.png",
  onClick: function() {
    tabs.activeTab.attach({
      contentScriptFile: self.data.url("script.js")
      })
    }
});

exports.main = function() 
{

}

script.js
Code:
    // get the inventory JSON
    var invObj = eval ("(" + getJSON() + ")"); 

//populate array with all inventory objects by parsing inventory HTML and matching for the user specific item IDs
    code = document.getElementsByTagName("html")[0].innerHTML;

//store item ids 
    results = code.match(/item753_6_\d{9}/g);

//for each item id
    for (i=0;i<results.length;i++) {
        var CardID;
        var JSON;

//just expose the ID
        invID = results[i].match(/\d{9}/);

//get global object ID 
        marketID = invObj.rgInventory[invID].classid +"_0";

//get market hash name (That's what is in the market URL for each object)
        marketName = invObj.rgDescriptions[marketID].market_hash_name;

//call to the market for current object
        getPrice(marketName);

//lay price on top of the card asset - you might fiddle around with some of the hrefs to enable direct sell by clicking the button... Or extract more of the original HTML
        document.getElementById(results[i].toString()).innerHTML = document.getElementById(results[i].toString()).innerHTML +
        '<div style="position:absolute; left:20px; top:50px; z-index:1"><a class="item_market_action_button item_market_action_button_green" href="#"><span class="item_market_action_button_edge item_market_action_button_left"></span><span class="item_market_action_button_contents">'+price+'</span></a></div>';
        //console.log(card);

}

//get the inventory JSON
    function getJSON()
    {
            var searchURL="json/753/6"; //global link to inventory
            var xmlHttp = null;
            xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
            xmlHttp.open( "GET", searchURL, false );
            xmlHttp.send( null )
            return xmlHttp.responseText;
    }

//get the price for the current inventory object
    function getPrice(name)
    {
            var searchURL="/market/listings/753/"+name;
            var xmlHttp = null;
            xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
            xmlHttp.open( "GET", searchURL, false );
            xmlHttp.send( null )
            response = xmlHttp.responseText;
            //match for first real seller entry
            var matches = response.match(/with_fee">[\s]*\d*.\d{2}/);

//match for price string only (FU encoded currency symbols)
            price = matches[0].match(/\d*.\d{2}/);
            //console.log(response);
            return price;
    }

FloatOn

Alright steam friends, I'm in the mood to play a rpg again. Your mission, should you choose to accept is to help me decide which of the following I should invest my time in.

Witcher 2 (6 hours in)
Fallout: New Vegas
Fallout 3 GOTY
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition
Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning (13 hours in)

JaseC

Alright steam friends, I'm in the mood to play a rpg again. Your mission, should you choose to accept is to help me decide which of the following I should invest my time in.

Witcher 2 (6 hours in)
Fallout 3 GOTY

Finish your Witcher 2 playthrough. I've not played Dragon Age or either of modern Fallout games, but if you're a completionist, Reckoning will take you forever.

cicero

Witcher 2 (6 hours in)
Fallout 3 GOTY
I would finish the games you have already started first.

Copons

It blew me away back in the day. The moment when
you control a soldier caught in a nuclear blast
was the point when I said "Okay, this is what next-gen is."

Unfortunately, WaW is the only subsequent game in the series I've been able to play more than an hour of. All the others just bored me to death. I've never been fond of the MP, either. The toxic community may have a lot to do with that, though.

Yes! That moment was seriously mind blowing. Still I don't think I've ever played anything more upsetting than that. Even the much criticized scene in MW2
where you control the terrorist in the airport
is nothing like that, being so excessive that go beyond empathy to plain meaninglessness.

BTW, I stopped playing CoD after the Activision VS (old skool) Infinity Ward and also because I can't stand a CoD without Cpt. Price and his epic moustaches.

valouris

untitled41ssk.png

Please collaborate with jshackles and embed it within Enhanced Steam :D

Freezard

Also yeah, you should integrate that add-on in enhanced Steam. It's a great feature, especially for TF2 items you have no clue about.

ekim

Also yeah, you should integrate that add-on in enhanced Steam. It's a great feature, especially for TF2 items you have no clue about.

It would be pretty easy to port that over for TF2 items too... the main problem is the performance. For each item I have to call the corresponding market page. That's a lot of requests and crashed my browser several times. Unfortunately there is no official Steam API for the inventory/market stuff afaik.

It would be pretty easy to port that over for TF2 items too... the main problem is the performance. For each item I have to call the corresponding market page. That's a lot of requests and crashed my browser several times. Unfortunately there is no official Steam API for the inventory/market stuff afaik.

Can you instead source it from one of the card aggregate websites like http://ehsankia.com/steam/cards/#btnsmalltext?

Might be easier to talk to them about passing over a collection of item ids and getting the values back.

So far my only gripe with Arkham Asylum is the lack of manual save, I hate checkpoints. Usually I hate collectibles in game, I don't have enough patience to search in every place but in AA I have fun looking for the Riddler riddles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom