• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm not sure if there is a proper thread to post this question in, but I felt like this one is the closest. And I didn't want to make a new thread.

I have for YEARS been waiting for ANY game that is similar to The Last Remnant. I spent 120h on that game and if you didn't like it I don't ace, I loved it. :p but ever since, or even before that, I haven't found a game that played and felt the same, both in terms of story and genre and gameplay etc.

IS there a game like that that exists and that isn't ages old? If so, please share with me. :/

(I guess Fire Emblem is the closest I've found, but that's a 3DS game and not exactly the same. I own it, though.)

Terra_Ex

I'm not sure if there is a proper thread to post this question in, but I felt like this one is the closest. And I didn't want to make a new thread.

I have for YEARS been waiting for ANY game that is similar to The Last Remnant. I spent 120h on that game and if you didn't like it I don't ace, I loved it. :p but ever since, or even before that, I haven't found a game that played and felt the same, both in terms of story and genre and gameplay etc.

IS there a game like that that exists and that isn't ages old? If so, please share with me. :/

(I guess Fire Emblem is the closest I've found, but that's a 3DS game and not exactly the same. I own it, though.)

Look up the SaGa series - SaGa Frontier, Romancing saga, etc and iirc made by the same dev team.

Crub

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Star Wolves 3: Civil War -- MB-9C85B4A95556633C - Taken by xGreg
Red Orchestra -- MB-49914177A67A218E - Taken by Belgarion
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-EB8A83AFD1AD05E2 - Taken by Tolerance. 2 entrants total.
Lucius -- MB-A8AB39AE7D82ABFA - Taken by eyeless. 9 entrants total.
Medal of Honor -- MB-1824D31EFDD9867C - Taken by SSPssp
The Basement Collection -- MB-A5536AA00DDFA782 - Taken by darkchewie
Red Orchestra 2 -- MB-D3C78326D0F66CD6 - Taken by Japle. 4 entrants total.
Avadon: The Black Fortress -- MB-FA20CB7D80C159D5 - Taken by interion. 1 entrants total.
NightSky -- MB-CAFF88AAA919F0D1 - Taken by darkchewie
Solar 2 -- MB-1FB4B233F18F1522 - Taken by Copons. 2 entrants total.

t1383872970z1.png
:)

Baha

Reposting for those not in the Steam Hardware Group:

Total War: ROME II Is Coming to SteamOS
7 NOVEMBER - GREGORI
Those of us working on Steam hardware and SteamOS are pleased to announce another game coming soon to the platform. Here's the message straight from Rob Bartholomew at Creative Assembly:

At Creative Assembly we want our customers to be able to play on as many platforms and in as many locations as possible, so today we are announcing future support for both SteamOS and the Steam Controller.

We’ve always wanted the Total War franchise to be enjoyed by living room gamers, but the limitations of traditional hardware made our style of game play impossible. Last month, when Valve invited us to test out the new Steam Controller and unveiled their plans for SteamOS - we were impressed. We believe it will provide us with the control fidelity and platform we need to make a living room experience for ROME II that could be a more compelling experience than playing with keyboard and mouse.

ROME II will be launching on Linux early next year, with full Steam Controller and Big Picture support to be added as soon as Valve gets us a controller dev kit. Pick up a copy of the game this weekend while it’s 25% off and you’ll be able to play the Linux version as soon as it launches!

Tellaerin

Reposting for those not in the Steam Hardware Group:

Interesting how they use "SteamOS" and "Linux" interchangeably in that announcement.

I wonder how long it'll be before people start referring to any flavor of Linux as "SteamOS", the way that people used to call any game console a "Nintendo".

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I haven't played the game for very long and can only go off my memories and a video of the combat I just saw, but hopefully it will give an idea.

Romancing Saga 3 like Terra_Ex just mentioned, Grandia series (combat wise at least), Dragon Force on Saturn (ages old I know, but transcends time), Suikoden 3 of a sorts.

Hopefully you find something that works out for you.

Echoplx

Interesting how they use "SteamOS" and "Linux" interchangeably in that announcement.

I wonder how long it'll be before people start referring to any flavor of Linux as "SteamOS", the way people that used to call any game console a "Nintendo".

In a perfect world developers will be able to say "Coming to Steam" and it will automatically mean it's coming to every platform steam is available on :D

Copons

So right now, we have officially (and explicitly) announced for Steam OS:

1 FPS (Metro Last Light)
1 racing (Project Cars)
1 RTS (Total War Rome II)

...still better than next gen consoles lineups! :D

Echoplx

1 FPS (Metro Last Light)
1 racing (Project Cars)

Man, if you actually posted that as a thread shit would be hilarious.

toddhunter thanks for Lucius! Cheers!

In other news, I'm a little concerned about my purchase of Battle Worlds: Kronos. There are a couple of minor issues like placeholder names for objects and windows popping up over each other rendering them un-navigable, etc, but overall it's a pretty solid game. The biggest concern is that there is absolutely no one playing online. I've started a few games that other people have joined, but no one ever takes a turn. I was hesitant to spend $30 for just this reason, but I figured with such a successful kickstarter campaign there had to be people out there who were excited to play. So far no bueno. :(

No worries. Lucius is flawed and clunky, but it is still an interesting little game and worth a play.

As for Battle Worlds: Kronos, I'm probably part of the problem. It looks amazing, I'm a huge battle isle fan and I'm very keen to buy it...

But it just seems too expensive until I hear a lot more impressions or know there is an active community. Might be a bit of a chicken or the egg problem going on.

nexen

1 FPS (Metro Last Light)
1 racing (Project Cars)

iceburn.gif

To be fair, those are all multi-platform with PC and M:LL with last gen consoles.

Anyone notice a bug in their Steam game count? My community profile suddenly lists 600 games (it's actually 294) and gave me the boost in exp and an upgraded badge for it. My actual game library hasn't changed though.

Slacker

No worries. Lucius is flawed and clunky, but it is still an interesting little game and worth a play.

As for Battle Worlds: Kronos, I'm probably part of the problem. It looks amazing, I'm a huge battle isle fan and I'm very keen to buy it...

But it just seems too expensive until I hear a lot more impressions or know there is an active community. Might be a bit of a chicken or the egg problem going on.

I think it is a little on the high side too. I wish it was $20ish. I think that would get more people in there.

It is a good game though so far.

Copons

Man, if you actually posted that as a thread shit would be hilarious.

I'd totally do, trolling is like my full time job, but I don't know how much would be appreciated by GAF moderation team. :D

Stumpo! Please? Pretty please? Would be my first thread ever! Would you imagine a better way for my baptism of fire? :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You can make any thread you want for your first thread.

The question is whether or not you ever get to make a second one... or post at all again :p

I'd totally do, trolling is like my full time job, but I don't know how much would be appreciated by GAF moderation team. :D

Stumpo! Please? Pretty please? Would be my first thread ever! Would you imagine a better way for my baptism of fire? :D

SteamOS, will probably support all Linux games supported so far, so it's count is 100+, that's more than the PS4/XBO combined.

Someone please make this thread.

You guys just wanna see GAF burn.

Copons

Anyone notice a bug in their Steam game count? My community profile suddenly lists 600 games (it's actually 294) and gave me the boost in exp and an upgraded badge for it. My actual game library hasn't changed though.

I'm experiencing something like this, with slight differences between Community, my actual Library on Win and my actual Library on OSX.
Honestly I don't know how many games I have (I'm between 230 and 245 :D ), and that's a shame cause I'm so close to 250 but I don't know how close (aka, how many trash bundles I need to get for the badge upgrade).

Slacker

SteamOS, will probably support all Linux games supported so far, so it's count is 100+, that's more than the PS4/XBO combined.

Someone please make this thread.

If you have a separate Steam Machine, it'll run every game, right? Just streaming the non-natively supported games from your desktop?

Yeah got the same bug. Mine actually dropped I think? I did notice I got my 9 years badge though :D

Copons

You can make any thread you want for your first thread.

The question is whether or not you ever get to make a second one... or post at all again :p

Well then... :D

Also, I need to keep my thread opening privilege at least until I finally open the thread I asked you in private (I feel like I may come out an idiot, asking you and still not opening it, but there were several delays not depending by me), so NOPE.

At least for now. :D

But maaaaan, it would be [lots of banderas gifs]

nexen

Quick question, does anyone had this issue with Steam?

First time ever:

All my games are on the list, but Steam also shows 58 more items as: SteamApp###

Started today :/

It means you've been selected for the beta, you lucky duck. When you get your HW those games will be launchable.

The_Monk

Don't laugh but... can anyone explained to me in a really easy way what is VSYNC on games and weather I should turn it On or Off?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Don't laugh but... can anyone explained to me in a really easy way what is VSYNC on games and weather I should turn it On or Off?

It prevents your videocard from rendering and sending up more frames than your monitor can display in a second. Not having vsync on can lead to tearing (particularly when the FPS drops below the refresh rate), but vsync on can lead to very noticeable input lag. Controllers hide input lag from vsync quite well so if you are playing a game with one, there is no reason not to turn it on.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Welp first of all thanks Jshackles for Greed Corp! Secondly, I've committed a grave sin, as it appears that I already own Greed Corp. :(

So, reposting this one up as a raffle for anyone who wants it:

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Greed Corp -- MB-9CDE42E5939C575B - Taken by Faabulous. 4 entrants total.

t1383874860z1.png

nexen

vsync means that the card will wait for the vertical retrace (basically when the monitor is done drawing) before modifying the render target. The upshot means that you wont see "tearing", which is where you see two frames at once - one partially drawn overlaying the last frame.
On the negative side it can increase input latency and locks your framerate to a multiple of the refresh rate.

You naughty you!
Sorry, I couldn't resist :p

Echoplx

Are there any sites/blogs that keep track of successful kickstarters? I've been unable to back quite a few that interest me due to lack of money and would like to keep an eye on them, but there's so many it gets hard to remember them all.

Volgarr got a 1.2 update

Completely new graphics engine based on DirectX 9 to resolve compatibility issues with some systems. The original DirectX 7-based graphics engine is also still available just in case anyone has issues with the new one.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

A monitor refreshes the image it shows every x number of times per second (60hz, 120hz, etc, depending on your monitor). Your graphics card can sometimes produce more frames than what the screen is capable of showing, and thus the two get misaligned. You'll start experiencing what's called "tearing", where you see one half of one frame and one half of another frame of animation at the same time, making it look like there's a tear in your image.

Vsync is a way to bypass this by forcing your graphics card to only render at your screen's 'framerate limit', so to speak. This can produce input lag which can cause a delay between what you push on your input device and what you see happening on the screen. A lot of people find this undesirable though. If your graphics card is unable to produce the same framerate (60 frames a second on a 60hz monitor), it will cut the framerate in half automatically (30 frames a second for a 60hz monitor).

Some games have built in support for Triple Buffering Vsync, which prevents the framerate problem but can also introduce further input lag. It's a bit of a tradeoff either way - so deciding if you want Vsync on or off depends on if you can tolerate screen tearing over input lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom