• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

I mean we know Valve has a Half-Life 3 cabal with ~40 members. Valve using an internal working title of Half-Life 3 to refer to something other than Half-Life 3 would be patently stupid.

Well it wouldn't be the first time someone got access to their jira tracker and leaked everything. Also it isn't against Valve to toy with their overly eager fanbase at every opportunity possible.

Time will tell.

It's actually Ricochet 2.

This is a high possibility.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well it wouldn't be the first time someone got access to their jira tracker and leaked everything. Also it isn't against Valve to toy with their overly eager fanbase at every opportunity possible.

Time will tell.

Ponder for a moment: When has Valve actually toyed with its fanbase? I'm not talking about little nods like the Black Mesa reference in a CS:GO whiteboard texture or the Half-Life bling necklace a Steam mascot was wearing in one of the Christmas Sale backgrounds, but a bona fide tease about the future of the series. It seems apparent to me that the whole "Valve likes to screw with its fans" mantra is something its more zealous fans dreamt up because they tend to assume everything it does is the beginning of an ARG.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get anyone in my family into games :(
That's a shame. It's always nice having someone who plays too, so you can talk about games, or at least watch them play. Local multiplayer is a nice bonus too.

That said, I definitely need to turn my dad back into games. He hasn't played Max Payne 3 nor Driver: San Francisco yet, for example.

ekim

Cool... just noticed, that adding games to my library also increases the XP gained from the PowerPlayer badge. Any other "hidden" ways to get XP?

Someone on another site speculated that the Jira leaks might have been intentional. As a reassurance to the fans. Maybe, maybe not. But the question isn't if it's going to come out, but when.

The_Monk

I'm tempted to Opt in on the Steam Beta again but I don't want to lose the ability to play Dirt 2 & 3 like it happened yesterday.

Someone on another site speculated that the Jira leaks might have been intentional. As a reassurance to the fans. Maybe, maybe not. But the question isn't if it's going to come out, but when.

"Here is a list of every single employee, what he is working on and his email address" -> Totally intentional!

Nope.

That's a shame. It's always nice having someone who plays too, so you can talk about games, or at least watch them play. Local multiplayer is a nice bonus too.

That said, I definitely need to turn my dad back into games. He hasn't played Max Payne 3 nor Driver: San Francisco yet, for example.

does that count as +1 game count?

edit : i approve of the new avatar toddhunter.

Guys and girls we have to stop this giving away freaky deakyness. I'm trying to finish Deadly Premonition and Skulls of the Shogun.... Stahp... Please....

Just kidding. I've received four from this thread and I'll be putting up two today for all cuz its Friiiidaaaay!

vermadas

Guacamelee is pretty good. I'm really enjoying the soundtrack too. Some of the platforming is kind of annoying though. Particularly after you get the
ability to jump between dimensions.

Well, some of my friends do play games, there's that I guess.

On a side note, drugs are bad m'kay?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Special occasions used to mean socks from the in-laws, now they mean...
7FddcoZ.png

I also discovered that if you get a Steam gift card in Canada, it costs $50 CAD (no tax at retail) but redeems for $50 USD + there's no tax on Steam purchases in Canada. So that's pretty awesome, saves on currency conversion and dodges tax.

Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted is not a bad little piece of DLC. I mean, it's a piece of DLC for a bad little game which I guess in turn makes it a bad little piece of DLC, but given those constraints it's not half bad.

First things first, it's worth getting out of the way that the game inherits most of the problems with the base game. It feels ugly and old, the enemies (both xenomorph and human) are dumb, combat design is basically waves and waves of enemies, just bazillions of them, cover-based shooting with no cover system, monster closets, linear pathways through either caves, outdoor scenes, or honeycombed office complex environments, blue and yellow are the only real colours used, weapons feel pretty flimsy, there's not really any variety or anything differentiating it. And since there are fewer collectibles here, it's even more monotonous. So if you didn't like the main game, I don't think this is going to magically solve any of your objections to it. You also die too quickly and the segmented regenerating health is sort of a worst-of-both worlds situation, compounded by poor checkpoint placement.

But if you set aside the fact that it's not a very good game, it's not bad. It's about 3-3:30 long which is fairly substantial for DLC. It has you play as several different characters, which is fun. The plot is sort of stupid and for a piece of DLC designed specifically to provide fan service and close a hole in the original game's plot it doesn't do a very good job of meeting that objective. But it is fun to play as different characters, all of which have different combat exclamations. The first character, a girl named Lisbeth who ends up getting offed by a chest-burster in an awesome scene is fucking hilarious and has great angry-manic exclamations when she kills something. Her segment is also the best gameplay-wise, as the first half or so doesn't allow you to use guns which is a wise choice. The next-best portion involves running from an Alien Queen and hiding inside little rocky outcroppings, as she reaches in and tries to get you. The DLC's big finale is another "fight off endless waves of aliens as you wait for time to pass" which, like, come on guys. Just not interesting. Horde modes suck in everything. The DLC wisely avoids vehicle sections and so there is no obnoxious powerloader boss fight. As a result the difficulty level is much more sane and free of spikes than the main game.

A:CM as a whole reminds me a little of Duke Nukem Forever. Forever in development. Released by Gearbox but developed by other studios. Very obsessed with first-person interaction segments. Sort of old looking. Not very good. Two weapons at once. Interesting DLC that just might be the best part of the game.

(Thanks Stallion!)

JaseC

I also discovered that if you get a Steam gift card in Canada, it costs $50 CAD (no tax at retail) but redeems for $50 USD + there's no tax on Steam purchases in Canada. So that's pretty awesome, save's on currency conversion and dodges tax.

This was the case in Australia, too, but EB Games raised the price of the $50 codes to $55 and I assume the $20 codes went up to $22. I'm just glad that the hike occurred after the Summer Sale.

Dr Dogg

I could probably hit 3k if I turned my dad into games. :p

I had this freaky vision of you selling bits of your dad off to fund your Steam habit, therefore literally turning him into an extra 1,000+ games. Obviously no offense intended.

I wish I could get those Steam cards available in here. It would be much more simple.

Well GAME here in the UK started doing cards late last year so don't know if the Portugal stores are still owned by the same group but might be something in the future maybe.

Can someone remind me of the application that one can use to see where space is being taken up on your hard drive? Shows things in chunks. Realized one of my drives is at 60 GBs free so I should probably clear some things up.

Well GAME here in the UK started doing cards late last year so don't know if the Portugal stores are still owned by the same group but might be something in the future maybe.

GAME stores in Portugal recently broke off from the UK administration, becoming a portuguese company called New Game

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can someone remind me of the application that one can use to see where space is being taken up on your hard drive? Shows things in chunks. Realized one of my drives is at 60 GBs free so I should probably clear some things up.

WinDirStat or SeqouiaView for Windows
GrandPerspective for Mac
du -h / for Linux

The_Monk

We use to have GAME stores but now we separated ourselves from Spain and all the Stores are called "New Game". They are the worst you can imagine, they no longer have games on release day, GTA, FIFA, PES, COD Ghosts, you name it. The last time they had in stock they broke the Street date. I'm done with them. I just wanted to secure a PS4 from them because I have all this store credit I can't trade for real money and I want a almost-free PS4 (20€).

GAME stores in Portugal recently broke off from the UK administration, becoming a portuguese company called New Game

If you check their Facebook page... man, it's such a horror story from every customer, this brings shame to me.

Arthea

Forgot most important thing!
If you know about my curse: no foils, no cards, no booster packs. And were following my adventures in cards universe
(I'm kidding, no worries)
, you remember that I had no booster pack drop until I crafted some badges. Tired of this curse, I crafted some badges again, and, guess what? Yup, I got booster pack next day again, that was yesterday and again it was booster pack of a game I crafted badge day before.
So now, of about 100 games with cards, I had 4 foils, last one ages ago, and 5 booster packs. Every time booster packs were given only after crafting some badges, except very first one. Coincidence or not?
One thing improved dramatically, I do get cards at same rate as at the very beginning, meaning rather fast.

Pakkidis

I just got steam last month and I started to download some games, their seems to be a discrepancy between how large the file is and what is downloaded. For example steam says half life 2 is 6.5 gb however when I downloaded it, it was only 2.2 gb. Whats up?

JaseC

I just got steam last month and I started to download some games, their seems to be a discrepancy between how large the file is and what is downloaded. For example steam says half life 2 is 6.5 gb however when I downloaded it, it was only 2.2 gb. Whats up?

Download sizes are smaller than installation sizes due to compression. In the case of Source games, many assets are shared and so if you have one installed, Steam can "borrow" some of its files.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I still use TreeSize. It's been a while though.

Jawmuncher

Forgot most important thing!
If you know about my curse: no foils, no cards, no booster packs. And were following my adventures in cards universe
(I'm kidding, no worries)
, you remember that I had no booster pack drop until I crafted some badges. Tired of this curse, I crafted some badges again, and, guess what? Yup, I got booster pack next day again, that was yesterday and again it was booster pack of a game I crafted badge day before.
So now, of about 100 games with cards, I had 4 foils, last one ages ago, and 5 booster packs. Every time booster packs were given only after crafting some badges, except very first one. Coincidence or not?
One thing improved dramatically, I do get cards at same rate as at the very beginning, meaning rather fast.

Yeah I think there is definitley something afoot with booster drops.
I didn't get my first which was skullgirls until I made the badge for it.
I do know that the more badges and higher level you are the more chance for drops though. I think the system is basically made so that they want you to continue to pay more and more.

JaseC

I keep seeing this "they promise keys once their games got approved", do those devs keep their promise?

The developer of Achron having a change of heart vis-a-vis Steam keys for IndieFort purchasers is the only example to the contrary that comes to mind. Generally speaking, developers that are required to go through Greenlight can't afford bad press, so going back on their word wouldn't be the wisest choice.

We use to have GAME stores but now we separated ourselves from Spain and all the Stores are called "New Game". They are the worst you can imagine, they no longer have games on release day, GTA, FIFA, PES, COD Ghosts, you name it. The last time they had in stock they broke the Street date. I'm done with them. I just wanted to secure a PS4 from them because I have all this store credit I can't trade for real money and I want a almost-free PS4 (20€).

If you check their Facebook page... man, it's such a horror story from every customer, this brings shame to me.

I have a New Game store near me. I thought that by changing they could have some good deals, but nop, used games are more expensive than they were before.
If you trade in a game, you can only use the trade-in value towards other products (not used). I had about 80€ in store credit which I wanted to trade in PSN cards (BF3 PS3 + Upgrade for PS4), but they haven't had PSN cards in stock for 6 months. As I said this to the employee, he offered me BF4 for PS3 5 days before release.

As I'm moving to the US in January, I'm trying to sell all my PS3 stuff to fund a new PS4 in the new year (yay for € being stronger than $), but since New Game isn't accepting cash trade, it's becoming hard to find who to sell it to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom