• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Yeah I think there is definitley something afoot with booster drops.
I didn't get my first which was skullgirls until I made the badge for it.
I do know that the more badges and higher level you are the more chance for drops though. I think the system is basically made so that they want you to continue to pay more and more.

That's very likely, that you are rewarded for crafting badges, not when others craft them. OTOH we would need much more statistics for conclusions like that, as it seems not everybody is affected by this curse.

Freezard

Thanks for the advice. One thing that worries me with New Vegas is that I really didn't like Fallout 3. But I guess I should try it out for a couple hours and see if enough things changed. I could probably fit in some VVVVVV this weekend too.

That's very likely, that you are rewarded for crafting badges, not when others craft them. OTOH we would need much more statistics for conclusions like that, as it seems not everybody is affected by this curse.

I haven't crafted a badge since mid august and I still get a booster pack every 8-9 days or so. I am in the 20's so I have a little extra drop rate.

Accoun

Can a poor soul still not own Batman AA? Fret not.

I actually didn't believe I would win. Happily turned out I was wrong. ;-)

Also, thanks for Rune, MRORANGE. Played it a lot on LAN when visiting my cousin back in the day. Dem memories.
I can now check how's the single player since I never owned it myself.

I also discovered that if you get a Steam gift card in Canada, it costs $50 CAD (no tax at retail) but redeems for $50 USD + there's no tax on Steam purchases in Canada. So that's pretty awesome, saves on currency conversion and dodges tax.

*tries to imagine how would it be if in Europe regional currencies would be "converted" to Euro the same way (1 EUR = around 4 PLN)*
*makes a joke how Italian Lira was about 0,0005 EUR before being replaced by it*

And by the way, we had the Battlefield 4 on low. Now here comes Skyrim 64, or Skyrim: Little Big Adventure mod (how my frend called it):
396C13B93E1C7861B4A96DF5FA601709C84E651B

maneil99

Special occasions used to mean socks from the in-laws, now they mean...
7FddcoZ.png

I also discovered that if you get a Steam gift card in Canada, it costs $50 CAD (no tax at retail) but redeems for $50 USD + there's no tax on Steam purchases in Canada. So that's pretty awesome, saves on currency conversion and dodges tax.

Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted is not a bad little piece of DLC. I mean, it's a piece of DLC for a bad little game which I guess in turn makes it a bad little piece of DLC, but given those constraints it's not half bad.

First things first, it's worth getting out of the way that the game inherits most of the problems with the base game. It feels ugly and old, the enemies (both xenomorph and human) are dumb, combat design is basically waves and waves of enemies, just bazillions of them, cover-based shooting with no cover system, monster closets, linear pathways through either caves, outdoor scenes, or honeycombed office complex environments, blue and yellow are the only real colours used, weapons feel pretty flimsy, there's not really any variety or anything differentiating it. And since there are fewer collectibles here, it's even more monotonous. So if you didn't like the main game, I don't think this is going to magically solve any of your objections to it. You also die too quickly and the segmented regenerating health is sort of a worst-of-both worlds situation, compounded by poor checkpoint placement.

But if you set aside the fact that it's not a very good game, it's not bad. It's about 3-3:30 long which is fairly substantial for DLC. It has you play as several different characters, which is fun. The plot is sort of stupid and for a piece of DLC designed specifically to provide fan service and close a hole in the original game's plot it doesn't do a very good job of meeting that objective. But it is fun to play as different characters, all of which have different combat exclamations. The first character, a girl named Lisbeth who ends up getting offed by a chest-burster in an awesome scene is fucking hilarious and has great angry-manic exclamations when she kills something. Her segment is also the best gameplay-wise, as the first half or so doesn't allow you to use guns which is a wise choice. The next-best portion involves running from an Alien Queen and hiding inside little rocky outcroppings, as she reaches in and tries to get you. The DLC's big finale is another "fight off endless waves of aliens as you wait for time to pass" which, like, come on guys. Just not interesting. Horde modes suck in everything. The DLC wisely avoids vehicle sections and so there is no obnoxious powerloader boss fight. As a result the difficulty level is much more sane and free of spikes than the main game.

A:CM as a whole reminds me a little of Duke Nukem Forever. Forever in development. Released by Gearbox but developed by other studios. Very obsessed with first-person interaction segments. Sort of old looking. Not very good. Two weapons at once. Interesting DLC that just might be the best part of the game.

(Thanks Stallion!)

Are they selling them in 711 yet? I saw it on the website

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot most important thing!
If you know about my curse: no foils, no cards, no booster packs. And were following my adventures in cards universe
(I'm kidding, no worries)
, you remember that I had no booster pack drop until I crafted some badges. Tired of this curse, I crafted some badges again, and, guess what? Yup, I got booster pack next day again, that was yesterday and again it was booster pack of a game I crafted badge day before.
So now, of about 100 games with cards, I had 4 foils, last one ages ago, and 5 booster packs. Every time booster packs were given only after crafting some badges, except very first one. Coincidence or not?
One thing improved dramatically, I do get cards at same rate as at the very beginning, meaning rather fast.
I think that's coincidence. I only crafted the Summer Seal badge and got between 4 and 7 booster packs, so that wasn't related to the crafting.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The developer of Achron having a change of heart vis-a-vis Steam keys for IndieFort purchasers is the only example to the contrary that comes to mind. Generally speaking, developers that are required to go through Greenlight can't afford bad press, so going back on their word wouldn't be the wisest choice.

Oh, what happened?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
And by the way, we had the Battlefield 4 on low. Now here comes Skyrim 64, or Skyrim: Little Big Adventure mod (how my frend called it):
Can't see the pic at work, but reading "Little Big Adventure" on the Steam thread made my day. And then it ruined it, because that's a game I'll probably never see there, nor its sequel.

Zeknurn

Ponder for a moment: When has Valve actually toyed with its fanbase? I'm not talking about little nods like the Black Mesa reference in a CS:GO whiteboard texture or the Half-Life bling necklace a Steam mascot was wearing in one of the Christmas Sale backgrounds, but a bona fide tease about the future of the series. It seems apparent to me that the whole "Valve likes to screw with its fans" mantra is something its more zealous fans dreamt up because they tend to assume everything it does is the beginning of an ARG.

GGQi1Iu.jpg

For one.

Anyone need a coupon for Volgarr the Viking (-25%), Foul Play (-33%) or Evoland (-50%)? I'm not gonna use 'em, so might as well give them to people who will.

Accoun

This is nice, is it on the Steam Workshop?

Don't think it's an actual mod. More like config editing + "always force the things best for performance"-like options in driver configuration. That guy showed some screenshots from Q2/3 on default high settings looking worse than with high picmip saying "WTFwhy?". After a few months somehow it turned out he had such things turned on and that was causing it. This might be the case here as well.
He said it made Borderlands 2 semi-playable on his old laptop, though - and people didn't gave him any chances to even run it. ;-)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So which YDKJ do you guys love the most?

If you can only get one, get Vol 4: The Ride.

However, one note to all prospective purchasers: YDKJ is a very difficult trivia game that relies very very extensively on puns, double entendres, and synthesis of a diverse set of pop-cultural stuff. I've played YDKJ with a few people who speak English as well as I do, who I would consider 100% fluent, but for whom English is not their first language, and they found it extremely extremely difficult to comprehend. My fellow moderator, Kabouter, who writes and reads English better than most of the university students I grade for but whose first language is Dutch, mentioned the same thing when he tried YDKJ 2011. And when I played it with someone in my apartment building who natively speaks Japanese and whose English I would classify as passable but not great, she was totally lost (the lack of common pop cultural reference points was probably as big of a sticking point as the language thing).

So keep that in mind if either your native language is not English or if you expect to be playing with others for whom it's not (IIRC you are Filipino or from somewhere else in SE Asia, right?).

Are they selling them in 711 yet? I saw it on the website

No 7-11 in my city or anywhere near, sorry.

So finally got home and sorted this out. This are from the same giveaway that I hosted earlier and are not taken I believe. Though stump "took" Ittle Dew then but probably didn't use it, just for test purposes.

Anyways good luck. And I added at least Rig 'n' Roll there. And as I've said, next time I've hoarded enough keys, to gaf they go - so until then, enjoy this:

EDIT: Ittle Dew key won't work. However you (winner of Ittle Dew) will receive a steam key for another game via PM. I will contact you after the raffle (or you can as well)

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 20 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Men of War Red Tide -- MB-C7268CFF3B215A03 - Taken by darkchewie
Death to Spies Gold -- MB-51192EEBE57DD1AF
Men of War Condemned Heroes -- MB-6086D30E7A570BE0
Rig 'n' Roll -- MB-25EED8799671CD6D - Taken by Mugatu. 1 entrants total.
The 39 Steps -- MB-6BFA6FBA904124B7 - Taken by Alessandro. 7 entrants total.
Men of War Condemned Heroes #2 -- MB-3928B2D8EF1A00DB
Magicka -- MB-46ED0ABAC893EF56

Pirates of the Black Cove Gold -- MB-C1304B4FF77350A5 - Taken by The-Bean. 3 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
End My World (Desura) -- MB-82A5314165BDA4E2
ulgzbKC.png
exceed Gun Bullet Children (Desura) -- MB-63A9F96A003BDA2A - Taken by cardinalmind
ulgzbKC.png
Suguri Collection (Desura) -- MB-91FE667A38C5D4E8
Reign Conflict of Nations -- MB-5E92EB8C9264416C - Taken by Kagemusha
The Showdown Effect -- MB-B6C7791AB34E699B
Ittle Dew -- MB-FF0D155BB9B43C8C - Taken by Cyberquake. 19 entrants total.
Greed Corp -- MB-CDBEF2713B52B873
ulgzbKC.png
Survivor Squad (Desura) -- MB-EDE7CA126F894120
Space Zombies and Pirates -- MB-0C0FFE2BD647595B
Two Worlds II -- MB-C7008AF7227EEC95 - Taken by Hidant. 7 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-4E2516EB3A9FE4E3
Men of War Red Tide #2 -- MB-1484A3F61DE5A647

t1383932959z1.png

MRORANGE

Don't think it's an actual mod. More like config editing + "always force the things best for performance"-like options in driver configuration. That guy showed some screenshots from Q2/3 on default high settings looking worse than with high picmip saying "WTFwhy?". After a few months somehow it turned out he had such things turned on and that was causing it. This might be the case here as well.
He said it made Borderlands 2 semi-playable on his old laptop, though - and people didn't gave him any chances to even run it. ;-)

Haha, that's sweet.

fantomena

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shelter -- MB-B9FF07A830092F8D - Taken by Atraveller. 9 entrants total.
Crusader Kings Complete -- MB-D50B2C5229D6BC89 - Taken by ussjtrunks. 3 entrants total.
Mount & Blade -- MB-E784528C75F30170 - Taken by Clawww. 5 entrants total.
Forge Starter Pack -- MB-D2AF49567726E4BA - Taken by madjoki
Enclave -- MB-F170C7E5BB077868 - Taken by Kifimbo. 2 entrants total.
Rune Classic -- MB-8DC4221332D58065 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 2 entrants total.
Majesty 2 Collection -- MB-1C84810FF870053E - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.

t1383923779z1.png

So finally got home and sorted this out. This are from the same giveaway that I hosted earlier and are not taken I believe. Though stump "took" Ittle Dew then but probably didn't use it, just for test purposes.

Anyways good luck. And I added at least Rig 'n' Roll there. And as I've said, next time I've hoarded enough keys, to gaf they go - so until then, enjoy this:

nice raffle. I need to go through humble and see what i have left...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I don't think what was obviously a joke counts. You seem to be under the impression that Valve intentionally misleads its fans or offers them false hope, but I can't say I'm aware of any examples.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying Valve is above jokes or being coy. I can certainly see how some would interpret the Wagner reference as a "troll", but I'd argue it's just a bit of fun on Gabe's part acknowledging that Half-Life 3 is taking a long time. Again, if memory serves, Valve has never truly teased its fans. Casting my mind back, the veracity of Valve employees wearing HL3 t-shirts was never determined, ditto for the HL3 logo created from rocks supposedly done by Valve employees on vacation, and while there's an employee wearing a HL3 t-shirt in the Valve employee handbook, it's an internal document.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

No, I did use it (long story short: logs made me think the error was with Ittle Dew.. it wasn't. I couldn't figure out the error so I tested redemption thinking I already owned the game and it wouldn't do anything... I didn't. So accidental redemption!) :(

The_Monk

I know this may be a little off topic but I was curious if any GAFfer in here is a fan of a clean/minimalistic setup around his/her PC space or in their own home, in general.

I'm a fan of keeping a simple, clean space without clutter, having only the basics with some small decorations here and there to give a personal touch and I was wondering if anyone like to have their own space like that. I've been loving to improve this for a couple of years now and I can't go back since it feels so much better.

No, I did use it (long story short: logs made me think the error was with Ittle Dew.. it wasn't. I couldn't figure out the error so I tested redemption thinking I already owned the game and it wouldn't do anything... I didn't. So accidental redemption!) :(

Ok no problem, you of all deserve a good game from a raffle.

Ok so whoever wins Ittle Dew - I will be giving you a steam game via PM - I will contact you after the raffle.

Cth

How is Knights Pen and Paper?

The iOS version was a lot of fun and captures the experience well.. from what I read, they copied it over to PC without changing some menus which put some off.

Fun game, but the $10 price tag puts off some given that it was $3 on iOS. Lots of content/etc.

Clawww

I know this may be a little off topic but I was curious if any GAFfer in here is a fan of a clean/minimalistic setup around his/her PC space or in their own home, in general.

I'm a fan of keeping a simple, clean space without clutter, having only the basics with some small decorations here and there to give a personal touch and I was wondering if anyone like to have their own space like that. I've been loving to improve this for a couple of years now and I can't go back since it feels so much better.

I start off ambitious about keeping it clean and clutter free but shit always accumulates. Right now, at my desk, outside of the basics I aspire to keep there exclusively (mouse+pad, keyboard), there is: headphones (I want a nice stand), earbuds, my Kindle, 3 pairs of glasses, an empty can of diet coke (ugh), a pen, a stack of post-its, two batteries, my 360 controller, and also an arcade stick.

I am a fan of that as well Monk. Unfortunately, my wife likes her knick knacks and the PC is in the living room (comfy couch gaming for me). So there's some clutter, but it isn't too terrible.

73V3N

Banned
Anyone here plays Age of Empires 2?
I've played twice after the lastupdate and both times I had to stop playing because it crashed.

XShagrath

Definitely a fan of a clean environment as well. Our whole house has a very minimalist look to it, and everything has its own individual place. No stray papers or anything unnecessary laying around on the desk.

Dr Dogg

Go check out all the other Gaffer's setups.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506069

Some really nice and clean setup there. Chittagong's whole flat/apartment is a thing of beauty.

Li Kao

Yeah, you guys were totally right. Just beat that arena battle on first try today with a lot calmer approach.

Hey, 200 pages to go but had to say it : typical ! Man and his nerves. I still remember the time I banged my head at the wall that was doom 2 final boss. SMH. The day after ? First try... :-x

NotSelf

Minimal for me.

594d1749_IMG_2525.jpeg

AkuMifune

Banned
Thanks for Fez Dusk Golem! It's one of the few things I've been missing since trading in my 360.

The other thing I miss is Full House Poker. Steam needs a great social poker game, or Telltale needs to make Poker Night 3 multiplayer. So rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom