• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

I know this may be a little off topic but I was curious if any GAFfer in here is a fan of a clean/minimalistic setup around his/her PC space or in their own home, in general.

I'm a fan of keeping a simple, clean space without clutter, having only the basics with some small decorations here and there to give a personal touch and I was wondering if anyone like to have their own space like that. I've been loving to improve this for a couple of years now and I can't go back since it feels so much better.

Oh I'm a fan too... but when in that state my desk remain that way approximately 30 minutes. I'm a junk magnet that's horrible. And that's without mentioning that damn huge printer that takes so much free space :-(
Right now in front of me : a pile of DVD to convert in mkv in the hope I can buy a nice htpc one day, very old games that I'm not sure I will be able to sell, a hard drive (?) and a weighing scale for ebay shipments.
A.JUNK.MAGNET.
Feels so good when I have the desk clean...

This, so much. My last giveaway I offered all games I didn't have and I didn't care, I really want to give them instead of having them for myself because if feels so much better when kindness is shared. Seeing all these giveaways makes me want to give more to this Community. I know that contributing to this Community can be more than just kind offers but still...!

Sometimes giving means allowing others to give.

Just saying :p.

Might have to pick up Gunslinger myself. I've been really interested in that guy for a while. There is just something about how cool wild west era armaments are that really makes it appeal as a shooter setting. Lever-action rifles, side-by-side shotguns, six shooters, all types of guns that just beg for meaty hit effects and slick reload animations.

MRORANGE

I've seen your picture and I like those shelves because they create room on the desk to keep it organized and clutter free. :)

If you can get a desk that is good at concealing wires, then you should be good, in most cases it's little devices that your barely use that get in the way, so storing them would be a good idea. Shelves help a lot where the table is and helps you reclaim that empty space.

Overall, just try and de-clutter as much as possible.

MKUltra

Speaking of Resident Evil again hopefully if GFWL is removed they'll consider putting the RE5 DLC on PC too. It wasn't a great RE game but I still enjoyed 5 quite a bit, especially coop.

Cody_D165

Banned
Wow so many giveaways, Dusk Golem! I entered for a couple, thanks!

I'm pretty tempted to finally pick up Hotline Miami during the Devolver sale...

These are links from humblebundle, first time I gift this way instead of keys, hopefully it works.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alien Breed Complete Pack -- MB-BC3ECADC85587E4E - Taken by Blablurn
Worms Pinball -- MB-FDBF16CF93B2F69D - Taken by derExperte
Worms Blast -- MB-364BE39B1EF9F9B1 - Taken by scorpscarx
Worms Crazy Golf -- MB-B81A49A27C0F4FE3 - Taken by maneil99

rtcn63

Yeah thanks dusk-bro

tumblr_mkfbbaJw7x1s9vhgxo1_500.gif

I entered a bunch in Dusk's post. Hopefully I don't win more than one if I win anything. That would make me cringe. :p

You should be okay. Stump altered the coding after a previous free for all raffle where some of us won more than once. It wasn't appreciated by some posters and made those of us who were 'fortunate' enough to win more than once pretty uncomfortable. So it shouldn't happen again, relax :).

Dr Dogg

If you can get a desk that is good at concealing wires, then you should be good, in most cases it's little devices that your barely use that get in the way, so storing them would be a good idea. Shelves help a lot where the table is and helps you reclaim that empty space.

I bought a shitload of electrical trunking from Wikes' and stuck it under my desk to tidy up all the cables. You'd never know unless you were 2 foot tall.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Do you guys want to see wires? Dusty wires, even? Also you can sneak a peek of my overly dusty entertainment center and how I can't possibly be clutter free, you can even see the plate from my lunch from 40 minutes ago on the right:

This is my Steam computer, so it's not that off topic, right? The big huge white chunk of electronics on the bottom is unplugged. I really should throw it out.

Li Kao

One problem I have with black/dark furniture. Dust! So many and out of nowhere. Ugh.

Do you live in a rural area ? I swear ambient air here is comprised almost exclusively of dust. I could fully clean the house daily and catch significant amount of dusk, it's surreal.
But then in a city I wouldn't have the joy of watching birds nest on my porch.
Decisions, decisions, as they say...

Edit - Oh yeah, about the mouse on wood... I'm no expert but on a cheap desk I used I quite remember that the mouse had clearly damaged it with time. Maybe just the enamel thing, and maybe it was a very cheap desk, but I wouldn't use a mouse raw on a desk.

derExperte

These are links from humblebundle, first time I gift this way instead of keys, hopefully it works.

You can never have enough pinball games, even if it's Worms Pinball. Thx.

edit: So many links to click and logins to log in to. Entering a key was most definitely simpler.

edit2: Worms Pinball isn't a very good game. Also I didn't realize it's from 1998.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here's my list of unowned licensed games -- or games that use a licence -- on Steam. Naturally, it's not everything, but I thought it might be of use to others who are interested in knowing what to look out for:

Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know
aerofly FS
Agricultural Simulator 2013 - Steam Edition
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures
Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?
Battleship
Assetto Corsa
Cabela's African Adventures
Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Trophy Bucks
Catan: Creator's Edition
Damage Inc. Pacific Squadron WWII
Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock
Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp
Duels of the Planeswalkers Gold Deck Bundle
Duels of the Planeswalkers Gold Game Bundle
EndWar
Eternity's Child
F1 2013
Farming Giant
Fast & Furious: Showdown
Football Manager 2014
Guardians of Middle-earth
HAWX 2
Hive
Hot Wheels: World's Best Driver
Ice Age 4: Continental Drift: Arctic Games
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Monster Jam
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 Full Burst
NBA 2K14
Omikron: The Nomad Soul (it's ancient, but David Bowie is in it, so better safe than sorry)
Out of the Park Baseball 9
Pacific Liner LA - San Diego Route
Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition
Risk
Rocksmith 2014
Rogue Warrior
Rugby Challenge
Rugby Challenge 2
Scribblenauts Unmasked
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies
Silent Hunter Collection
Space Ace
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Talisman: Digital Edition/Prologue
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
The Game of Life
The Walking Dead: Season 2
The Wolf Among Us
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Type:Rider
WRC 4 FIA World Rally Championship

Edit: A few of the titles listed are published by the licence holder, like the Magic: The Gathering games, but after Paramount pulled two Paramount-published games, each based on a Paramount film property, I didn't want to take chances.

Edit edit: Crossed-out titles mean I've since bought them; they're still available. Titles pulled will be decorated as follows: Example #1 if owned or Example #1 if I missed the boat.

chupon

Do the changes to the Humble Bundles steam key redemption change how keys can be given using ModBot (is it even possible?) or is it still the same?

MRORANGE

Do you guys want to see wires? Dusty wires, even? Also you can sneak a peek of my overly dusty entertainment center and how I can't possibly be clutter free, you can even see the plate from my lunch from 40 minutes ago on the right:

This is my Steam computer, so it's not that off topic, right? The big huge white chunk of electronics on the bottom is unplugged. I really should throw it out.

That would be pretty easy to clean with a few zip wires and such, the home media center might need a bit of work though.

I bought a shitload of electrical trunking from Wikes' and stuck it under my desk to tidy up all the cables. You'd never know unless you were 2 foot tall.

Yup, best way to do it.

I'm the same, though my setup needs a little updating:

http://i.imgur.com/lHLhmws.jpg[/IM]

I used to be a diehard Nintendo fan.[/QUOTE]

no Reggie pillow makes me sad.

Lunaniem

Here's my list of unowned licensed games -- or games that use a license -- on Steam. Naturally, it's not everything, but I thought it might be of use to others who are interested in knowing what to look out for:

That Ice Age game will probably be one of the next to go.

Ezra2680

I did some quick searching but didn't see anything. For giving away stuff from Humble Bundle now does it work the same way as giving away gifts from steam? Where you just post the last part of an email link?

nexen

Here's my list of unowned licensed games -- or games that use a license -- on Steam. Naturally, it's not everything, but I thought it might be of use to others who are interested in knowing what to look out for:

Edit: A few of the titles listed are published by the license holder, like the Magic: The Gathering games, but after Paramount pulled two Paramount-published games, each based on Paramount film properties, I didn't want to take chances.

What license could Slender: The Arrival possibly use? Is Slenderman chugging Mountain Dew or something?

Blablurn

Hope it works. It's the first time I used that new Humble Bundle Gift link

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-CCE5C7EFAC9DE3AE - Taken by Clawww

Jawmuncher

Wow DuskGolem you're killing it with these giveaways!
Also anyone who wins RE6, RE5, or Revelations PLEASE for the love of gaben play them.
The games are great and especially in the case of RE6 not anywhere close as bad as some made it out to be.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That Ice Age game will probably be one of the next to go.

It released at the beginning of the year, so unless Acti abandons the licence come January as it did with James Bond, the game should be around for another couple of years at least. The Cabela games can't be long for this DD world, though.

What license could Slender: The Arrival possibly use? Is Slenderman chugging Mountain Dew or something?

Oh, that shouldn't be there, haha. I recalled somebody here saying he/she thought there were no Slender Man games on Steam because of licensing issues, but I remembered it just being a meme, so I looked it up and sure enough the whole thing was just something that Something Awful members put together.

backdrifter

Neo Member
All this giveaway generosity makes me eager to do a little one of my own later on. Sadly won't be quite as extensive as exciting as some of the uber giveaway some of you guys put together!

I've always been a pretty lazy guy with wires and whatnot, but I actually had to get myself in gear with wiring my entertainment center due to having an extremely curious and destructive two year old. I'm far from a pro, and I found boxes like these (though I had a cheaper off brand) combined with some zip ties to be a pretty good starting point for an easy cleanup run.

DrKKzBi.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted is not a bad little piece of DLC. I mean, it's a piece of DLC for a bad little game which I guess in turn makes it a bad little piece of DLC, but given those constraints it's not half bad.

First things first, it's worth getting out of the way that the game inherits most of the problems with the base game. It feels ugly and old, the enemies (both xenomorph and human) are dumb, combat design is basically waves and waves of enemies, just bazillions of them, cover-based shooting with no cover system, monster closets, linear pathways through either caves, outdoor scenes, or honeycombed office complex environments, blue and yellow are the only real colours used, weapons feel pretty flimsy, there's not really any variety or anything differentiating it. And since there are fewer collectibles here, it's even more monotonous. So if you didn't like the main game, I don't think this is going to magically solve any of your objections to it. You also die too quickly and the segmented regenerating health is sort of a worst-of-both worlds situation, compounded by poor checkpoint placement.

But if you set aside the fact that it's not a very good game, it's not bad. It's about 3-3:30 long which is fairly substantial for DLC. It has you play as several different characters, which is fun. The plot is sort of stupid and for a piece of DLC designed specifically to provide fan service and close a hole in the original game's plot it doesn't do a very good job of meeting that objective. But it is fun to play as different characters, all of which have different combat exclamations. The first character, a girl named Lisbeth who ends up getting offed by a chest-burster in an awesome scene is fucking hilarious and has great angry-manic exclamations when she kills something. Her segment is also the best gameplay-wise, as the first half or so doesn't allow you to use guns which is a wise choice. The next-best portion involves running from an Alien Queen and hiding inside little rocky outcroppings, as she reaches in and tries to get you. The DLC's big finale is another "fight off endless waves of aliens as you wait for time to pass" which, like, come on guys. Just not interesting. Horde modes suck in everything. The DLC wisely avoids vehicle sections and so there is no obnoxious powerloader boss fight. As a result the difficulty level is much more sane and free of spikes than the main game.

A:CM as a whole reminds me a little of Duke Nukem Forever. Forever in development. Released by Gearbox but developed by other studios. Very obsessed with first-person interaction segments. Sort of old looking. Not very good. Two weapons at once. Interesting DLC that just might be the best part of the game.

(Thanks Stallion!)
Excellent write up as always. You brought up a couple interesting points that got me thinking and kinda made me realize just how much of a failure the game was. The first point was the relative goodness of the weapon-less segment. It's such a bummer that they failed to really capitalize on the concept. The hopelessness of facing aliens in the films and that escape is generally a better idea than combat could probably translate nicely to a videogame in the hands of a skilled developer. Gearbox and company just aren't that dev.

The second point was the (again) relative goodness of switching characters. Aliens are suppose to be some potent motherfuckers and it's pretty hilarious that you take down about 50+ in each level. It would actually fit the tone of the universe if you switched characters in the game somewhat often simply because of how easy it is to fall into situations where a character is completely screwed (as in like they encountered 3 aliens at once alone). Basically wrap a bunch of vignettes into some sort of overarching narrative. The DLC attempts this in a way and the first level + ending really sells the whole concept. I think a game built around the concept could be pretty interesting for the universe.

My personal favorite scene was the Weyland soldier grabbing that random dude and locking him in Michael Biehn's escape pod so that there would be a body for Alien 3 to find. I burst out laughing when that happened.

The_Monk

If you can get a desk that is good at concealing wires, then you should be good, in most cases it's little devices that your barely use that get in the way, so storing them would be a good idea.

I was lucky to get a desk at IKEA when they were running a promotion for 29€ which was a neat price if you ask me. It's this one in dark brown:

http://www.ikea.com/pt/pt/catalog/products/10116651/#/70116653

Do you live in a rural area ? I swear ambient air here is comprised almost exclusively of dust. I could fully clean the house daily and catch significant amount of dusk, it's surreal.
But then in a city I wouldn't have the joy of watching birds nest on my porch.
Decisions, decisions, as they say...

I live in a urban area but with constant opening and closing doors, and one side window it's easy to gather more dust.

I want impressions on Assetto Corsa from GAFfers so bad, but It might be a title that only some will care about it.

Grief.exe

I have a glass desk so I need to get my wiring situation under control.

I'm kind of pushing it off because I still have some sanding and cutting to do on the metal to finish the desk off.

Vecks

Just some old HB keys.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Mirror's Edge -- MB-EDD4A86AD75A3C45 - Taken by Boss Doggie. 1 entrants total.
Trine 2 Complete -- MB-945B6F3B27DE85B9 - Taken by Shambles. 6 entrants total.

t1383941182z1.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a glass desk so I need to get my wiring situation under control.

I'm kind of pushing it off because I still have some sanding and cutting to do on the metal to finish the desk off.

Make sure you don't wait until it's too later. A table I once used collapsed randomly one night when I was away, tore some of the cords and broke the tower. It was an old segmented wooden table, but always good to take precaution, especially, when it comes to valuable stuff you care about.

Look into Farming Simulator.

Milamber

Make sure you don't wait until it's too later. A table I once used collapsed randomly one night when I was away, tore some of the cords and broke the tower. It was an old segmented wooden table, but always good to take precaution, especially, when it comes to valuable stuff you care about.

Look into Farming Simulator.
What if I told you his desk was his tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom