• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I do love this thread. Plenty of nice giveaways, some games I might have missed if people didn't talk about them, especially from you Dusk Golem, plus ideas on wire management that I'm sure I could use instead of my out-of-sight/out-of-mind behind the desk set-up I currently have.

Thanks for being a good thread to visit first every day.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I need a new PC controller, mine is crapping out.

Any suggestions? (also can you buy a PS4 controller at retail right now?)

I just use a wireless X360 controller with a cheap knock-off receiver sourced from Deal Extreme (which is still going strong). You can buy PS4 controllers now, yes.

Nabs

Wired 360 is still the standard. You can buy the new PS4 controller now, but it's missing a lot of the functionality you'd expect.

Grief.exe

Make sure you don't wait until it's too later. A table I once used collapsed randomly one night when I was away, tore some of the cords and broke the tower. It was an old segmented wooden table, but always good to take precaution, especially, when it comes to valuable stuff you care about.

All of the work that has to be done is purely cosmetic, nothing that will compromise the integrity of the desk.

Milamber

oh i already have that. i was hoping this one would allow me to simulate the entire old village experience. cabin upkeep, village politics, etc. but according to reviews it's only a bad farming simulator. i'm bummed.
Watching youtube videos of it show me its mostly a tractor racer?

Wired 360 controller doesn't have the transforming d-pad, so that's the wrong answer.

This is the correct one.
Who wants to deal with batteries? Also, I believe there are still some games that have issues with wireless 360 controllers or that may have been fixed already.

AppleMIX

I know, that's what I use now and the D-pad is absolutely awful. Come on guys, I want to to talk me into buying a PS4 controller. :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
oh i already have that. i was hoping this one would allow me to simulate the entire old village experience. cabin upkeep, village politics, etc. but according to reviews it's only a bad farming simulator. i'm bummed.

Actually, yes, a simulator about living in an old village could be pretty amazing. Farming is part, but so much potential...

I guess not exactly the same, but for some reason I'm also thinking of the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games. Of course, those aren't on Steam, or really simulators, but yai.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

If you don't mind the PS form factor, I'll suggest either the Logitech F710 (wireless) or F310 (wired):

RwAtIGL.png

Your computer will see it as an Xbox controller without any additional configuration. It also features a toggle to flip the right analog stick with the d-pad input (handy in some platformers that ignore the d-pad because of the 360's shitty implementation), as well as a switch on the back that flips from X-input (the new standard input) and d-input (the old standard used in older pc games) for compatibility.

If you don't mind the PS form factor, I'll suggest either the Logitech F710 (wireless) or F310 (wired):

RwAtIGL.png

Your computer will see it as an Xbox controller without any additional configuration. It also features a toggle to flip the right analog stick with the d-pad input (handy in some platformers that ignore the d-pad because of the 360's shitty implementation), as well as a switch on the back that flips from X-input (the new standard input) and d-input (the old standard used in older pc games) for compatibility.

I've heard good things of those Logitech controllers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Watching youtube videos of it show me its mostly a tractor racer?

You're watching the wrong videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

Who wants to deal with batteries? Also, I believe there are still some games that have issues with wireless 360 controllers or that may have been fixed already.

Only old games have issues with wireless 360 controllers (like the first assassin's creed).

For batteries, you should just have eneloops on call at all times anyway. And the transforming dpad comes with a battery pack (That works, finally) and a charging cable, so you can just plug that in when the battery is getting low. No issues here.

Slacker

I use a PS3 controllers (actually several PS3 controllers) with a bluetooth dongle. Works like a champ. What's the lost functionality with the PS4 controller people are mentioning?

Milamber

Well, that was nostalgic.

Only old games have issues with wireless 360 controllers (like the first assassin's creed).

For batteries, you should just have eneloops on call at all times anyway. And the transforming dpad comes with a battery pack (That works, finally) and a charging cable, so you can just plug that in when the battery is getting low. No issues here.
Already got eneloops. And those chromed transformables are terrible. I had one crack on me at the dpad. My wired one is still going strong.

Kifimbo

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fractal -- MB-4A74A6D0A4F25CA7 - Taken by Shambles. 4 entrants total.

t1383932497z1.png

Chronoja

Here's my list of unowned licensed games -- or games that use a license -- on Steam. Naturally, it's not everything, but I thought it might be of use to others who are interested in knowing what to look out for:

Edit: A few of the titles listed are published by the licence holder, like the Magic: The Gathering games, but after Paramount pulled two Paramount-published games, each based on a Paramount film property, I didn't want to take chances.

Thanks for this. I've probably mentioned it before but there needs to be a list of "high risk of removal" games somewhere, like the games removed from steam list on spuf. That thread is the "you didn't notice until it's too late" thread.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Huh, I thought AoEIIHD has all expansions of before, unless this is a new, custom-made one?

If you can only get one, get Vol 4: The Ride.

However, one note to all prospective purchasers: YDKJ is a very difficult trivia game that relies very very extensively on puns, double entendres, and synthesis of a diverse set of pop-cultural stuff. I've played YDKJ with a few people who speak English as well as I do, who I would consider 100% fluent, but for whom English is not their first language, and they found it extremely extremely difficult to comprehend. My fellow moderator, Kabouter, who writes and reads English better than most of the university students I grade for but whose first language is Dutch, mentioned the same thing when he tried YDKJ 2011. And when I played it with someone in my apartment building who natively speaks Japanese and whose English I would classify as passable but not great, she was totally lost (the lack of common pop cultural reference points was probably as big of a sticking point as the language thing).

So keep that in mind if either your native language is not English or if you expect to be playing with others for whom it's not (IIRC you are Filipino or from somewhere else in SE Asia, right?).

Ah don't worry, I played my fill of Headrush (my favorite) back in the PC and even YDKJ console edition. They're easy to digest for me and I get the puns easily.

I kinda wish they put their new games in PC though.

Shambles

RwAtIGL.png

That sounds really interesting. Right now I'm using some of my PS3 controllers. I'm using the method that bypasses DS3Tool altogether so it's pretty seemless. I just plug them into the PC and they bind with the PC. And then I hit the PS button on one or several of them and they all link and work with the PC. So I probably won't be replacing mine anytime soon because they work well enough but I certainly wouldn't get one for family members for christmas. This logitech sounds like a better option than picking up either a PS4 or XBone controller for their PC use.

Giveaway ending in under 20 minutes. Please remember that Ittle Dew key is not valid - however you will receive another game (steam key) instead via private message (I will find you, I will message you, and I will gift you a game)

I can't believe I haven't heard of this game (Assetto Corsa) before.. Or maybe I have but somehow forgot it. Looks awesome, floored by how good that looks. Especially when it wasn't on my radar and I used to be pretty good in touch with gaming releases I think.

Since we are talking controllers I'd put it out there that if you can find one of them cheap (I got mine for like $10) the MadCatz fightpads can be pretty nice on the PC. Obviously they are just for games with digital control, but there are plenty of classic and indie PC titles that fit the bill. And I quite like the 6-button layout and the d-pad on them. I keep one with my netbook which has the Sega Genesis Collection games on it, and it's nice to have a little portable Genesis to take with me on business trips.

Ezra2680

A little off topic, but I'm still getting the your password is *** days old, you and you need to choose a new one message periodically when opening new threads or refreshing. Refreshing the page again usually makes it go away. Is this till happening to other people too? I've changed my password a couple of times since that hack, but this is still an issue for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just a quick OT question: How do Amazon Instant Video rentals work exactly? Does the licence expire 48 hours from purchase or 48 hours from when you first begin streaming/downloading the film?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Giveaway ending in under 20 minutes. Please remember that Ittle Dew key is not valid - however you will receive another game (steam key) instead via private message (I will find you, I will message you, and I will gift you a game)

I can't believe I haven't heard of this game (Assetto Corsa) before.. Or maybe I have but somehow forgot it. Looks awesome, floored by how good that looks. Especially when it wasn't on my radar and I used to be pretty good in touch with gaming releases I think.

Whelp!

*note to self: NEVER cross Camel Master!*

A little off topic, but I'm still getting the your password is *** days old, you and you need to choose a new one message periodically when opening new threads or refreshing. Refreshing the page again usually makes it go away. Is this till happening to other people too? I've changed my password a couple of times since that hack, but this is still an issue for me.

I haven't; I would raise it with a Mod/Admin frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom