• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Thank you Parsnip for The Whispered World! Along with Cognition, which I was also lucky enough to win in a Modbot raffle, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some new point and click adventures :)

Cognition is good stuff.
The 3D can be a bit glitchy, and some of the puzzles near the end might have benefited from some interface tweaks, but overall, I found it to be engaging and fun.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Cognition is good stuff.
The 3D can be a bit glitchy, and some of the puzzles near the end might have benefited from some interface tweaks, but overall, I found it to be engaging and fun.
I'm fairly forgiving with stuff like that for these sorts of games, I like something that gets me thinking and puzzling over what to do next (in a good way). I was raised on the old Lucasarts games do I have a soft spot for p&c adventures.

He's about to try that right now.

Edit: it didn't work.

There is a sub forum on reddit for CS:GO. Try there. There are even some Valve guys that post there so there should be a good chance at getting help there.

I went there and they couldn't help me either or didn't really care to. If it isn't game news, a controversial view, or a video of an ace/clutch submissions just don't get many responses.

Cheddahz

Banned
My friend came over and I showed him Spelunky (since he is into rogue games and such). We have a couple of beers and I finally got passed the mines!

The combat is definitely not Batman:AC's problem, it's more diverse and flesh out than the first game. It's basically the same but with more combinations.

Eh, throwing more actions on top of a flawed combat system doesn't really fix much. I'm so used to fighting games and good action games (DMC, Bayonetta, GoW, etc.) that I don't think I'll ever get actually good at Arkham's combat. The key to a good fighting system is to have every action have a specific amount of animation frames, so that you can learn how to best utilise them down to the lowest level. That's why you see all those insane combo videos that pop up for those games. Arkham's combat system completely fails at this, as most actions have a number of different possible animations, all with different timing.

That said, I can tolerate a weak fighting system so long as enough other things areis good but Arkham City's story sucked. It was all over the place and I wish Warner/Rocksteady would have the brains/balls to stop milking the shit out of the Joker. He's a villain that I think is best used sparingly, otherwise you risk watering down what makes him such a unique villain. And it's not like he's the only notable Batman villain either, Batman has the best rogues gallery in comics.

Turfster

xxxyyyxxyyyyxxxxxxxyyy

That's the combat system in the Arkham Asylum and City.
(when played with a controller)

LMB LMB space alt alt LMB LMB space space E E E space alt LMB is the keyboard version.
Fuck Microsoft and their 360 controller lockout attempt that makes it so my logitech pad didn't get recognised.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Batman's combat is incredibly simple, but that's not a problem for me. Once you bump it to hard and start countering and rolling around rooms to counter people to death, you start going "HOLY SHIT I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN" at your television. That's a good thing.

Hanzou

Eh, throwing more actions on top of a flawed combat system doesn't really fix much. I'm so used to fighting games and good action games (DMC, Bayonetta, GoW, etc.) that I don't think I'll ever get actually good at Arkham's combat. The key to a good fighting system is to have every action have a specific amount of animation frames, so that you can learn how to best utilise them down to the lowest level. That's why you see all those insane combo videos that pop up for those games. Arkham's combat system completely fails at this, as most actions have a number of different possible animations, all with different timing.

That said, I can tolerate a weak fighting system so long as enough other things areis good but Arkham City's story sucked. It was all over the place and I wish Warner/Rocksteady would have the brains/balls to stop milking the shit out of the Joker. He's a villain that I think is best used sparingly, otherwise you risk watering down what makes him such a unique villain. And it's not like he's the only notable Batman villain either, Batman has the best rogues gallery in comics.

You are confusing a simple/Deep combat system with a Good/Bad combat System. DMC and Bayonetta have deep combat system while Batman is more on the simple side, Its really easy to make combos go on for a long time in Batman although you get some sketchy frames every now and then. DMC may allow a smoother system with greater combos/skill/variance but this does not make BAtman's bad, its just simple and not your style.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Another thank you to this thread for giving recommendations.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Marrlow Briggs And The Mask Of Death -- MB-DC7C3BFBB622A1E9 - Taken by jshackles. 36 entrants total.
Walking Mars -- MB-87DDC6B83AD1EA75 - Taken by FauX. 5 entrants total.

t1384063002z1.png

Batman's combat is incredibly simple, but that's not a problem for me. Once you bump it to hard and start countering and rolling around rooms to counter people to death, you start going "HOLY SHIT I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN" at your television. That's a good thing.
This doesn't work when you start a hard run when you haven't played it in over a year. I'm mostly going "GODDAMN IT BATMAN" at my TV.

Turfster

This doesn't work when you start a hard run when you haven't played it in over a year. I'm mostly going "GODDAMN IT BATMAN" at my TV.

Yep. "COUNTER. COUNTER DAMN IT." is what I yelled at my monitor the most during my Asylum replay. Finished it now. Not going to bother with the medals, because fuck the keyboard controls.

Some Steam and Desura keys available.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
One Finger Death Punch (Desura) -- MB-BE847B95FE2E8C6F - Taken by alr1ght
Electronic Super Joy (Steam) -- MB-2B5D465DAEA919BA - Taken by trailmix16
Shelter (Steam) -- MB-77CC74413778BB02 - Taken by gwynplaine
ulgzbKC.png
Last Knight (Desura) -- MB-45B781A2D8E9220D - Taken by Tarin02543

First come first served.

FOX_

Neo Member
Finished it just hours ago after playing through Asylum last year around the same time. While I still enjoyed the combat the story felt a little disjointed and not as focused as in the first game. I did not particularly like having major story enemies being only around for 5 minute side missions.

[POTENTIAL SPOILERS]
I thoroughly enjoyed AC, but the one thing that soured the experience for me at the last minute was the gigantic plot twist at the very end, which felt contrived to say the least. But the ending more than made up for it.

I...don't know what you are talking about, every punch and kick in AA/AC is fast and swift, except for some specific takedowns. And there are a lot of crazy combo videos on youtube.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

They mostly telegraph their attacks. It's just a matter of not focusing on Batman but focusing on the mob.

You are confusing a simple/Deep combat system with a Good/Bad combat System. DMC and Bayonetta have deep combat system while Batman is more on the simple side, Its really easy to make combos go on for a long time in Batman although you get some sketchy frames every now and then. DMC may allow a smoother system with greater combos/skill/variance but this does not make BAtman's bad, its just simple and not your style.

I completely disagree with you. "Simple" mechanics are only okay if the game is really short or if they're used sparingly. If they're used heavily, they grow boring remarkably fast and no amount of enemy variation/equipment thrown on top is going to fix that fundamental flaw.

The same exact thing applies to Assassin's Creed. Neither its platforming nor its combat have any depth whatsoever and quickly become boring after 5-15 minutes of play. It's why the first game was panned for being boring and the later games had more and more pointless rubbish thrown in them, to distract the player from the boring mechanics.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hey would any of you happen to have a link to the neogaf thread on using a PS3 controller with a PC? The search did not yield the thread I remembered seeing once.

Zia

I just played two hazy hours of Centaur on The Pinball Arcade. Game's everything I imagined it would be, now to clean up the UI. Yuck.

mannerbot

I actually managed to get through the mines again! One more run through the mines and then Ill have the tunnel unlocked

Using shortcuts really only makes the game harder, though using shortcuts can help you practice a new area. Like I said on Steam, stream for longer than 10 minutes next time and I'll give you some pointers!

Cheddahz

Banned
Using shortcuts really only makes the game harder, though using shortcuts can help you practice a new area. Like I said on Steam, stream for longer than 10 minutes next time and I'll give you some pointers!

Sounds good! I was going to stream for longer, but of course...my computer crashed (hopefully, I'll get a new graphics card for Christmas). Whenever I decide to stream tomorrow, I'll post a link in here again

Sounds good! I was going to stream for longer, but of course...my computer crashed (hopefully, I'll get a new graphics card for Christmas). Whenever I decide to stream tomorrow, I'll post a link in here again

I tried to watch, but it was very laggy (nice quality though).

Derrick01

Banned
Those use more face buttons, triggers, bumpers, and directional inputs for certain moves tough.

So does Batman AC and AO. You want to know the similar thing between those games and the DMCs and the other japanese games everyone orgasms over? You can get through the majority of all of them by mashing X and Y if you want. The option for added depth is there though and the fun of those games is being able to pull it off.

bkw

I'm working my way through Spelunky right now as well. Just got the shortcut to the
temple
unlocked. Haven't played the new area much, but damn, looks to be undoable without playing through the previous sections to get geared up.

(Spoiler tagging just in case. I enjoyed the discovery part quite a bit myself.)

mannerbot

Haven't played the new area much, but damn, looks to be undoable without playing through the previous sections to get geared up.

And that's exactly why you should play without using shortcuts. Free equipment/resources by going through easy early parts of the game? Why wouldn't you want that!

Freezard

The reason no one is getting booster packs anymore is cause of the guys that are level 200 or around there. They are soaking up all the god damn boosters alone. The more people level, the less chance you will have. In the beginning everyone were about equal level so that's why people got a booster every week (plus everyone leveled up like crazy).

The reason no one is getting booster packs anymore is cause of the guys that are level 200 or around there. They are soaking up all the god damn boosters alone. The more people level, the less chance you will have. In the beginning everyone were about equal level so that's why people got a booster every week (plus everyone leveled up like crazy).
Steam developing its own 1%

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I received a Gravi booster pack last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom