• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Good suggestions I wasn't even thinking about.
Look's like i'll do some research on those items. Then if nothing tickles my fancy i'll resort to Steam Gift Cards lol.

I remember you mentioning the slow "high speed wi-fi" you are on, would there be any purchasable way to get you a better connection, or is that the absolute best connection where you are?

Alternatively, ask for an external hard drive and have someone you trust with your login information install your entire library of steam games onto it before sending it to you.

Torchlight is an awesome game, it only took re-playing Diablo 3 to get me re-install and finally beat it. The itemisation is so good, there's a constant reward curve. You do get drops for the other two classes and there are trash drops but you also continually get small upgrades for the class you're playing as while progressing through the dungeons. Also the number of side-quests and random dungeons constantly pull you off the main dungeon and almost always have a decent reward. Beat the game with the warrior class and started a new game on hard with the alchemist.

Also installed Torchlight II, dunno if I'm going to keep playing through 1 or dive into 2 with a new character.

Torchlight is an awesome game, it only took re-playing Diablo 3 to get me re-install and finally beat it. The itemisation is so good, there's a constant reward curve. You do get drops for the other two classes and there are trash drops but you also continually get small upgrades for the class you're playing as while progressing through the dungeons. Also the number of side-quests and random dungeons constantly pull you off the main dungeon and almost always have a decent reward. Beat the game with the warrior class and started a new game on hard with the alchemist.

Also installed Torchlight II, dunno if I'm going to keep playing through 1 or dive into 2 with a new character.

2 has ALOT of mods
i have like 20-30 classes just because i can thats how many mods it has

Jawmuncher

I remember you mentioning the slow "high speed wi-fi" you are on, would there be any purchasable way to get you a better connection, or is that the absolute best connection where you are?

Alternatively, ask for an external hard drive and have someone you trust with your login information install your entire library of steam games onto it before sending it to you.

Yeah the internet I have out here is as good as it's gonna get.
The idea of someone grabbing my collection and putting it on a HDD is a great idea though. That would actually be really awesome especially since it would benefit me later on since having backups of your games is always good to do. I think i'll definitely do that is there a guide to that? I assume they just download and then copy the steamapps folder or something?

Tenrius

The idea of someone grabbing my collection and putting it on a HDD is a great idea though. That would actually be really awesome especially since it would benefit me later on since having backups of your games is always good to do. I think i'll definitely do that is there a guide to that? I assume they just download and then copy the steamapps folder or something?

This works. Steam itself also has some sort of a backup tool, but I'm not sure how it's different/better. You'll still have to deal with updates though, but that's of course much easier.

Lain

I liked 1, but my experience has been kinda different, in the sense that new loot usually sucked compared to my (over) enchanted stuff.
2 is more fun thanks to the overworld imho, though it still hasn't been as fun as playing D3 has been for me.

Coldsun

Banned
I definitely preferred Torchlight 1 to 2. For some reason 1 I found addicting... especially the never ending dungeon. Torchlight 2 though, I dunno, the loot was there but it just didn't hook me the same.

Jawmuncher

This works. Steam itself also has some sort of a backup tool, but I'm not sure how it's different/better. You'll still have to deal with updates though, but that's of course much easier.

OK that sounds good. If anything i'll turn off the auto updates.
Which is what I have been doing. Since you can play without them can't you?

It has failed on me a bunch of times, YMMV.

edit. To be clear I mean the Steam backup feature has failed on me for certain games.

The most fun I had in Torchlight 1 was enchantment gambling with the shitty wizard. They pretty much took that out in any meaningful capacity in 2 to my chagrin. Honestly I didn't have much fun with either but with 1 being analogous to the original Diablo, I had hopes that 2 would be as much an improvement as Diablo 2 was. Unfortunately I don't think it came close.

Jame Retief

Neo Member

I don't know of a specific guide, but I would guess that having Steam install the games directly to the drive would be the simplest way of doing so. If the person doing this for you already has some of the games installed for their own Steam account, I believe they should be able to also copy from their current steamapps folder to the external drive's steamapps folder.

Just warn the person doing this for you that (depending on the size of your library) it might take a few days (or more depending on their bandwidth) to download everything. I installed my entire library at once (around 500 games at almost 2 TB) a few weeks ago and it took several days to download everything, and I have the max ATT Uverse internet speed in our area.

To expand on this idea, for any games you buy after receiving your HDD, you could again have someone download the new games for you but this time transfer those new games' steamapps folder to a flash drive that they send to you. You then copy the steamapps folder to your HDD and send the flash drive back. You could keep your library pretty much up to date this way.

It has failed on me a bunch of times, YMMV.

Uh-Oh so maybe they might need to use the backup tool?

I think Visualante2 was referring to the backup tool itself failing to work properly.

Edit: Yep.

edit. To be clear I mean the Steam backup feature has failed on me for certain games.

mrgone

I'm probably very late to the party, but there's a bunch of Dark Souls II beta streaming on twitch right now (here). My non-technical assessment thus far is "rad".

edit: It's over :(

Jawmuncher

I don't know of a specific guide, but I would guess that having Steam install the games directly to the drive would be the simplest way of doing so. If the person doing this for you already has some of the games installed for their own Steam account, I believe they should be able to also copy from their current steamapps folder to the external drive's steamapps folder.

Just warn the person doing this for you that (depending on the size of your library) it might take a few days (or more depending on their bandwidth) to download everything. I installed my entire library at once (around 500 games at almost 2 TB) a few weeks ago and it took several days to download everything, and I have the max ATT Uverse internet speed in our area.

To expand on this idea, for any games you buy after receiving your HDD, you could again have someone download the new games for you but this time transfer those new games' steamapps folder to a flash drive that they send to you. You then copy the steamapps folder to your HDD and send the flash drive back. You could keep your library pretty much up to date this way.

I think Visualante2 was referring to the backup tool itself failing to work properly.

Edit: Yep.

Nice thanks for the heads up. I definitely will be doing this.
Especially the idea for the Flash Drive for games later on that is flawless.

Momentary

Banned

I agree with them taking early access games off of new released. I never thought that it was right that unfinished games got to be put under that category. Now these companies have more of an incentive to finish their product so that it can get put under new releases. It sucks that so many other companies have gotten away with getting released under new releases.

They still get banners on the front page announcing their release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I agree with them taking early access games off of new released. I never thought that it was right that unfinished games got to be put under that category. Now these companies have more of an incentive to finish their product so that it can get put under new releases. It sucks that so many other companies have gotten away with getting released under new releases.

They still get banners on the front page announcing their release.

I'd say the decision was related to people buying Early Access games while being completely oblivious to the fact that they aren't/weren't finished and subsequently littered discussion hubs with noise, which is reasonable. I agree with Saty in that a "Show Early Access games" option should be added to the New Releases tab for those who are interested, though.

Saty

Here's part of the email i sent Gabe couple of moths ago about improving Steam Achievements.

- Display\calculate achievements only for games that has been played for more than X hours.

- Display\calculate all achievements but for the games that were never played.
- (for games with SP) Display\calculate achievements only for games that their campaign was completed.
- Display\calculate SP only \ MP only achievements.
- Display\calculate achievements by genre.

- When comparing with one or more another players, display\calculate achievements only for the games they all have\ played for X hours.
- Display\calculate all achievements but those which are story-related or anything else that any player who finishes the game gets.
- Display\calculate achievements only for franchises (meaning only for games that are from the same IP AND that the player\players own\played more than one game in the series).
- Display\calculate achievements for a specific series.
- Display\calculate achievements for user-selected games. (i tick whatever games i want to be calculated from a list of the games i or my friends own).

All of these are applicable when just checking a single friend's stats and for multi-users comparisons.

You can also add the to Achievement API\Steamworks the ability for developers to mark the game's achievement by the degree of difficulty to pull them off. That way, there will be another filter so you would be able to display\calculate only the achievements that were categorized as easy\moderate\hard etc. by the developer. Same applies for marking 'unmissable' achievements.
Shouldn't most it also be doable in something like Enhanced Steam?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Here's part of the email i sent Gabe couple of moths ago about improving Steam Achievements.

Shouldn't most it also be doable in something like Enhanced Steam?
I've never really minded achievements past "oh it'll be interesting to try for this" or "oh that's cool" when one pops up, but I suppose more filtering couldn't hurt if you're into it.

Saty

If we are to get serious about Achievements as gauging players' competence and excellence then all platforms should have that kind of depth to them. This is why i dislike the 360's Gamerscore because it provides no indication. It's just an always-increasing figure that disallows meaningful distinctions and because it is the most visible metric it becomes its own thing and discourages players from digging it to that number and see what it's really made of.

Another addition: mark the difficulty level the achievement was unlocked on. That's pretty basic. If 2 players 100% the same game and you try to decide who was better then knowing that one did them all on Hard and the other on easy is critical information.
Batman has an achievement of getting x50 combo. Pulling it off on Hard vs. on Easy is two different things and thus it really should be noted.

Reckoner

If we are to get serious about Achievements as gauging players' competence and excellence then all platforms should have that kind of depth to them. This is why i dislike the 360's Gamerscore because it provides no indication. It's just an always-increasing figure that disallows meaningful distinctions and because it is the most visible metric it becomes its own thing and discourages players from digging it to that number and see what it's really made of.

Another addition: mark the difficulty level the achievement was unlocked on. That's pretty basic. If 2 players 100% the same game and you try to decide who was better then knowing that one did them all on Hard and the other on easy is critical information.
Batman has an achievement of getting x50 combo. Pulling it off on Hard vs. on Easy is two different things and thus it really should be noted.

That's why I really like Ps Trophies. I think it's the best implementation of a trophy like system. It says the difficulty, integrated in the value (bronze, silver, gold, platinum) of the trophy and it has RPG like experience bar which lets you level up while you gain more points. Ofc, each kind of trophy has its own number of points.

Saty

Cool. Wasn't aware how it's done on Playstation Trophies. The Gamerscore is limiting what you can do with achievements because retail games are capped at 1000GS per game so there comes a point you can't do stuff or have to chop points again.

The idea of of 'The harder the feat, the more points you get' is already broken in 360 games. Bioshock Infinite provides the same number of points for beating the game on Hard and beating the game on 1999 mode.

JaseC

Huh, I had no idea Acti released a new Cabela's game just last month. It's not available on Steam AU so I missed it when I was creating my list.

Edit: In retrospect I ought to have wishlisted the licensed titles, as this would have allowed me to remove them from search results using Enhanced Steam (assuming there is such a feature) the next time I get the urge to dig through Steam's catalogue. Oh well.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I don't assign any sort of value to achievements outside of "have I done this?". What would a more detailed ranking of achievement difficulty really add to your playing experience? I enjoy getting achievements, if they're incredibly tricky then it doesn't bother me that I'm not being given more of a pat on the back for doing so. I know it was a tricky thing to do and the achievement's there to show I did it, I still feel just as happy about having done it regardless of whether it has a numerical score attached to it and what that score is. Anything else just seems like it's a system for saying "look how good I am for doing this!" Obviously that's just me though.

Edit: with your Batman example, yes, getting a 50x combo is easier in easy than hard, but does it really matter to you so much that someone else is getting the achievement on an easier difficulty than you? They still achieved something in their game as you did in yours.

derExperte

That's why I really like Ps Trophies. I think it's the best implementation of a trophy like system. It says the difficulty, integrated in the value (bronze, silver, gold, platinum) of the trophy and it has RPG like experience bar which lets you level up while you gain more points. Ofc, each kind of trophy has its own number of points.

Unfortunately the amount of PS trophies needed to gain a level increases an absurd amount after you reach afair level 12. And the difficulty stuff is totally arbitrary, there are a lot ot bronze trophies that are harder than gold ones. I much prefer the Steam system where I can see how many people did which achievements, sure it can be hacked but not enough bother.

Reckoner

Unfortunately the amount of PS trophies needed to gain a level increases an absurd amount after you reach afair level 12. And the difficulty stuff is totally arbitrary, there are a lot ot bronze trophies that are harder than gold ones. I much prefer the Steam system where I can see how many people did which achievements, sure it can be hacked but not enough bother.

I noticed that, too. But that thing about bronze trophies being harder than gold ones, that's because devs aren't discerning it or are just trolling us.

The_Monk

I'm not really into getting Achievements to be honest but with the Playstation (on Consoles or Vita) one thing I like for some silly reason was the pop-up and the little sound, don't know why.

I also like how Achievements or Steam are a clean black icon in the corner. While it makes no sound, It happened to me before not noticing them because they merge quite well and if you are concentrated in the game, a little sound notification may grab your attention. The fact that is something that people can hack gives me less incentive to go after them, at least on Steam. I have no idea if it's possible to also on hack those on PSN and remain connected.

Reckoner

I'm not really into getting Achievements to be honest but with the Playstation (on Consoles or Vita) one thing I like for some silly reason was the pop-up and the little sound, don't know why.

I also like how Achievements or Steam are a clean black icon in the corner. While it makes no sound, It happened to me before not noticing them because they merge quite well and if you are concentrated in the game, a little sound notification may grab your attention. The fact that is something that people can hack gives me less incentive to go after them, at least on Steam. I have no idea if it's possible to also on hack those on PSN and remain connected.

That was something I noticed with Steam, but I'm not sure if I prefer it without sound. After a while, the achievement/trophy sound became kind of a winning alarm.

JaseC

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

King's Bounty Warriors of the North Valhalla Edition -- MB-2B52BB4E8699F01D - Taken by didamangi

Just like any decent RPG were after you get to a certain level, even more xp is needed to level up.

And bronzes being harder than golds are up to the developers

didamangi

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fester Mudd -- MB-60947DAF263C9641 - Taken by Hawkie
Salvation Prophecy -- MB-7709A523D14A4575 - Taken by derExperte

Thx JaseC :)

derExperte

Just like any decent RPG were after you get to a certain level, even more xp is needed to level up.

And bronzes being harder than golds are up to the developers

But it's not a steady progression, until lvl 11 or 12 you need a fixed amount and then it's 5x that without any reason. If it were an RPG people would wonder what the devs were smoking. It's just strange and like the arbitrary allocation of bronze/silver/gold, no matter who's at fault, it undermines the whole system a bit.

PS Thank you didamangi for Salvation Prophecy. :)

Dec

Achievements in games are just so all over the place. One game will have achievements that a skilled player will likely get over the course of the game, some will have achievements you have to know about before playing. Some are just ridiculous. I'm missing the achievements for having all the pets in Faerie Solitaire. They are entirely luck based and sometimes take up to 80 hours to find (I beat the game in like 15). At a certain point people just find the best level or location in the game to grind out the achievement. Where's the skill?

Seems like a giant waste of time to me. Taking Steam game completion as some kind of display of skill seems entirely pointless when there are so many games doing achievements so different from others. There are specific achievements that could be indicative of player skill I suppose, but they don't seem common.

The achievements that get me are in RPGs. I finished playing the first bit of Of Orcs and Men and realized I missed an achievement for leaving this hideout instead of helping them with their crusade on my way through. In RPG games I am making decisions as if I am the character. It simply doesn't make sense for me to take a break from my important mission to help you with some trivial shit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
My ideal achievement set up is this:
-1 achievement for each level/quest
-An equal number of creative achievements that are fun, not bullshit
-Difficulty achievements so long as the difficulty isn't bullshit.

JaseC

I generally don't care for achievements, but it's nice when they're novel or encourage a different style of play. The examples I like to use are the Little Rocket Man achievement in Episode Two and the One Free Bullet achievement in Episode One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom