• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

My ideal achievement set up is this:
-1 achievement for each level/quest
-An equal number of creative achievements that are fun, not bullshit
-Difficulty achievements so long as the difficulty isn't bullshit.

I believe Resident Evil games are a good example of what you mentioned. You get one for each Chapter, one for each Difficulty you finish and then, there's some fun, weapon based Achievements too.

I cared about achievements back when I played on Xbox, but switching platforms has pretty much cured me of that.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the message popping up, I just won't go out of my way to earn them anymore.

I've definitely caught the achievements bug in Steam, but I wish they did more with them in terms of your profile and such.

The achievement showcase is a nice start and has encouraged me to try and "up" my average percentage.

This, however, has proven difficult as I'm starting to review games and I end up having to start a lot of new games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I believe Resident Evil games are a good example of what you mentioned. You get one for each Chapter, one for each Difficulty you finish and then, there's some fun, weapon based Achievements too.

Yeah, both RE5/6 do that, but some of the "fun" achievements are grindathons lol. I just loooove how nice and neat RE6's list looks though with the chapter completions.

The_Monk

Yeah, both RE5/6 do that, but some of the "fun" achievements are grindathons lol. I just loooove how nice and neat RE6's list looks though with the chapter completions.

I'm guessing they are the same on consoles since I played the RE6 back when I had my PS3. Still have to play RE Revelations.

Parsnip

My rare achievement showcase is slowly but surely getting overrun by Batman AA achievements. Just a few more to go.

Just came back from the gym and noticed I won Arkham City.

Thanks Parsnip. <3

Thank you Parsnip for The Whispered World! Along with Cognition, which I was also lucky enough to win in a Modbot raffle, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some new point and click adventures :)

:)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Saiorsie Ronan is naked in a movie? Is Jasec ok!?

I'm watching HILN at the moment, as a matter of fact! My laptop usually chokes on 1080p content but it's generously made an exception in this case.

Edit: Yeah, there's a very brief shakey-cam scene in which she's running naked in the woods. Strange that the BBFC's classification report would mention the PGesque sex scene but not the actual nudity.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I would like to dedicate my latest death in Sword of the Stars: The Pit to Dusk Golem, the guy who gave away the game.

I didn't even know the disease status went up to level 5, but apparently when it does and you start to go blind and lose consciousness there's a good chance you'll drop dead during one of your blackouts, even with full health.

I got the disease form a harmless looking red blob named a Beast Virus that did trivial damage but had a high chance of infection. I figured I'd shoot the giant bug with the scythes for arms that was hacking away at me first. Wrong choice. Shoot the blob first. Always shoot the blob first. Their whole race is one fuck you after another in this game. Equipment damage, disguising themselves as goodie boxes, grappling and poisoning you. Ignore the war bots, forget the giant rats, never mind the cyber moon bears. Shoot the blob.

Tenrius

I hate it when games don't allow you to play on the hardest difficulty during your first playthrough. I'm not one for replaying games, especially extremely linear ones just for a new difficulty setting and I usually do want to experience the hardest one. Unfortunately, this is the case in this new Castlevania.

Saw MW3 boxed copy yesterday for 10 euros, but I expect that the online is abandoned and single player is awful, am I right?

Something to keep in mind:

I loved MW2, played like 20 days of the MP and got 100% on the Single Player/Coop

I hate it when games don't allow you to play on the hardest difficulty during your first playthrough. I'm not one for replaying games, especially extremely linear ones just for a new difficulty setting and I usually do want to experience the hardest one. Unfortunately, this is the case in this new Castlevania.

download a gamesave with it beat?

Tizoc

Did they fix the hitboxes/detection in the PC ver.? In the PS3 ver. those were a little messy when last I played.

Tenrius

download a gamesave with it beat?

That would work, but I'm not into that either. Especially in this game, which, it seems, retroactively grants you achievements based on your save file. There are also collectibles and stuff and they, I suppose, carry over into the new game.

Did they fix the hitboxes/detection in the PC ver.? In the PS3 ver. those were a little messy when last I played.

I didn't have a problem with it so far. It's pretty enjoyable, overall — obviously not a true Castlevania game, but a decent action/adventure affair, pretty easy on the eyes, too. What I don't like is the checkpoint system: I've had a couple of instances where I had just an ounce of health left right before a long battle.

Li Kao

I'm not really into getting Achievements to be honest but with the Playstation (on Consoles or Vita) one thing I like for some silly reason was the pop-up and the little sound, don't know why.

I also like how Achievements or Steam are a clean black icon in the corner. While it makes no sound, It happened to me before not noticing them because they merge quite well and if you are concentrated in the game, a little sound notification may grab your attention. The fact that is something that people can hack gives me less incentive to go after them, at least on Steam. I have no idea if it's possible to also on hack those on PSN and remain connected.

Hmm in fact I noticed recently that some games (or was it a bug ?) don't show achievement pop-up at all. I like it. Just interested enough to go dig the cheevos list after a play session and see what I did or should do, zero intrusiveness. Evidently, it can be less than ideal depending on you degree of love for meta-gaming.

*Sees Adventure Park on Steam store*

Oh, that looks nice. I've been wondering when someone would release a good RCT clone.

*Sees Community page*

...Okay, looks like I still have to wait for one.

Li Kao

Achievements in games are just so all over the place. One game will have achievements that a skilled player will likely get over the course of the game, some will have achievements you have to know about before playing. Some are just ridiculous. I'm missing the achievements for having all the pets in Faerie Solitaire. They are entirely luck based and sometimes take up to 80 hours to find (I beat the game in like 15). At a certain point people just find the best level or location in the game to grind out the achievement. Where's the skill?

Seems like a giant waste of time to me. Taking Steam game completion as some kind of display of skill seems entirely pointless when there are so many games doing achievements so different from others. There are specific achievements that could be indicative of player skill I suppose, but they don't seem common.

The achievements that get me are in RPGs. I finished playing the first bit of Of Orcs and Men and realized I missed an achievement for leaving this hideout instead of helping them with their crusade on my way through. In RPG games I am making decisions as if I am the character. It simply doesn't make sense for me to take a break from my important mission to help you with some trivial shit.

Well, on the contrary I would say that personally the most fun I had with achievements was maybe Fallout 3. Precisely because near the end of the game I took a look at what I had left to do and there was a couple of achievements rewarding, I don't know, curiosity ? exploration ? etc... I loved the feeling that the game was telling me hey man, you played the game pretty thoroughly, but did you know there is this, and that too ?
No skill, no automatic achievement, just reward for playing even more.

Freezard

I never watch the list of achievements for games, because it's full of spoilers. But I do try to get 100% in games I like, and when I'm at 95% and read the requirements of the few last ones and they happen to be grindy like hell I'm like fuck my life. I hate being close to 100% and then have to win 1000 matches online or something stupid.

Just stopped playing GTA V on my pS3 and the only thing popping up in my head during the playtime was "I need the PC-version".

The game made that choice for me, GTA:O fucked up my single player save so I figured : let's wait for the PC version instead. I'm glad I borrowed my brother's copy instead of buying one too, it would have felt like I threw 60€ out the window otherwise.

The game made that choice for me, GTA:O fucked up my single player save so I figured : let's wait for the PC version instead. I'm glad I borrowed my brother's copy instead of buying one too, it would have felt like I threw 60€ out the window otherwise.

you only had one game save? or it fucked up all of them?

Derrick01

Banned
I have nothing to really add to the achievement discussion other than I wish Valve would do something to make them more interesting than they are. Steam achievements never caught on with me or any of my friends who are into achievements/trophies on the consoles. As much as an overall total is looked down on by the PC elite I think Steam achievements needs something similar to be taken seriously. At the very least the system they have in place now needs to be totally redone and featured more prominently and in a more organized manner, the small box you can add to your profile after you hit level 10 was a decent start but it's not enough.

rtcn63

Giving up on Batman AO. I just... can't deal with the bugs and terrible game design. I'm almost finished, but it's not worth the space it takes up on my HDD at the moment.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have nothing to really add to the achievement discussion other than I wish Valve would do something to make them more interesting than they are. Steam achievements never caught on with me or any of my friends who are into achievements/trophies on the consoles. As much as an overall total is looked down on by the PC elite I think Steam achievements needs something similar to be taken seriously. At the very least the system they have in place now needs to be totally redone and featured more prominently and in a more organized manner.

I think "gamerscore" is dumb, but they already kind of have that with levels. I do enjoy the platinum aspect of trophies. Maybe make a platinum worth a portion of a badge or something. They'd need to re-do the entire achievement system so it's can't be exploited, though.

you only had one game save? or it fucked up all of them?

Only my auto-save, other (manual) saves were fine but the most recent was 5-6 hours old in game time and considering I played like 15 hours I just didn't want to bother playing again. I guess it was my fault for saving manually more often but it's still a pain in the ass.

The_Monk

Hmm in fact I noticed recently that some games (or was it a bug ?) don't show achievement pop-up at all. I like it. Just interested enough to go dig the cheevos list after a play session and see what I did or should do, zero intrusiveness. Evidently, it can be less than ideal depending on you degree of love for meta-gaming.

I've had that happen to me too fellow GAFfer and if one time I played a couple of games offline and when I went Online they never updated which was strange because some of them popped when playing and then they updated, others didn't.

I have nothing to really add to the achievement discussion other than I wish Valve would do something to make them more interesting than they are. Steam achievements never caught on with me or any of my friends who are into achievements/trophies on the consoles.

I remember a Sale where they had Special Achievements for you to complete, that sure did some great incentive for many people to buy the game.

What would you suggest? From all the platforms, PlayStation is the one I like the most because you can have a Level, a progressing bar and different types of trophies with a extra one if you complete all of them (platinum).

Giving up on Batman AO. I just... can't deal with the bugs and terrible game design. I'm almost finished, but it's not worth the space it takes up on my HDD at the moment.

Is it that bad? I was looking for to play that one day even if I'm still with Batman AA to finish... Hope it gets updated soon.

Derrick01

Banned
I think "gamerscore" is dumb, but they already kind of have that with levels. I do enjoy the platinum aspect of trophies. Maybe make a platinum worth a portion of a badge or something. They'd need to re-do the entire achievement system so it's can't be exploited, though.

Right it doesn't have to be a gamerscore. I've grown to like the platinum aspect to Sony's system as well since it rewards 100% completion, although a numerical tally of all of your trophies is counted on your profile as well. I just wish it was something more than what they're doing now which I consider to be its most basic form of achievement tracking and earning. The only way you could do less is if you went the Nintendo route and offered none.

rtcn63

From a content standpoint, if you've played AA and AC.... you don't need to play AO. It's, from recollection, the weakest of the three.

Li Kao

Saw MW3 boxed copy yesterday for 10 euros, but I expect that the online is abandoned and single player is awful, am I right?

Something to keep in mind:

I loved MW2, played like 20 days of the MP and got 100% on the Single Player/Coop

I'm precisely playing the game these days and I must say that while I'm certainly no COD fan, I'm a little puzzled over the negative reviews of MW3 in particular. I wanted brain dead shootbang and the game delivers 100% on that. No rythm problem I can really think of, still very nice visuals, ergonomically I prefer it to Blops (I'm a push to crouch, not toggle to crouch kind of guy and didn't see that option in Blops)... It's Cod, it's not stellar in the writing department, a thing now even worsened by the ridiculous continuity in the trilogy which would require the player to care about these one dimensional caricature of villains... but you want to shoot and blow things up ? You could do far worse than MW3, really.
I'm maybe a little tired of it after playing the game to mid point or more, was beginning to feel surreal to have to shoot dozens of guys in a library in Paris, a little 'too much' feeling that lasted after that point, but hey, it's not the stinker some reviews led me to believe it was (if you have nothing against the genre).

Are there any plans to patch it? Seems like a huge bummer that a Batman game has to be that bad.

rtcn63

Are there any plans to patch it? Seems like a huge bummer that a Batman game has to be that bad.

Likely. I just don't find it engaging enough to deal with the game anymore. Even without bugs, it's not that fun or intuitive. I'll come back and finish it someday. Maybe.

Derrick01

Banned
From a content standpoint, if you've played AA and AC.... you don't need to play AO. It's, from recollection, the weakest of the three.

Disagree. It's AC with a few extra abilities, a really fun new enemy type (the martial artist...try doing the Shiva achievement where you get through the entire fight without missing a counter) and a MUCH better and interesting story featuring a younger, angrier Batman who actually sounds threatening when he gets upset with a criminal instead of Conroy's Robocop monotone voice.

rtcn63

Disagree. It's AC with a few extra abilities, a really fun new enemy type (the martial artist...try doing the Shiva achievement where you get through the entire fight without missing a counter) and a MUCH better and interesting story featuring a younger, angrier Batman who actually sounds threatening when he gets upset with a criminal instead of Conroy's Robocop monotone voice.

The story doesn't really go anywhere unexpected and Batman comes off like an angsty 12-year-old child. (To be fair, he kinda always does) It may be more focused (AC was all over the place IIRC), but not necessarily that much of an improvement.

Tenrius

I don't have much desire to play it at this point, either. I've just passed the sewers and I don't know, it's just not cool, not with that level design, boring overworld and messed up Riddler stuff. The cutscenes are cool, but you can't get far relying on cutscenes alone. Many people call it a "safe sequel", but I'd rather call it a downgrade. The mojo is just not there anymore.

Grief.exe

My rare achievement showcase is slowly but surely getting overrun by Batman AA achievements. Just a few more to go.

My rare achievement showcase is completely made up of BioShock 2 achievements.

Not many people replayed that one after the GFWL removal, and most that did played Minerva's Den.

graywolf323

My rare achievement showcase is completely made up of BioShock 2 achievements.

Not many people replayed that one after the GFWL removal, and most that did played Minerva's Den.

most of mine seem to be from when they did special achievements for either the summer or winter sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom