• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

I think Valve is starting to think of a streaming service outside of Steam Machines.

Reasons:

Even if the cheapest Steam PC came out it will still be in the hundreds of dollars and gives players a dilemma, why have a underpowered box if you just want streaming and why not just have the main PC in the living room instead of running a underpowered box?

Two options could take with players that just want to stream games:

1) Some type of low powered roku/apple TV box:
This would make the best sense, bluetooth/wifi connectivity, could still manage to run the SteamOS, easy to update and run, very low entry price and will be very popular.this would most likely be through local streaming

2) Create a smartapp for tv's and devices:
This is a bit more tricky in getting external devices supported, plus the device would need to have decent enough abilities to run the service at 1080p. This is the cheapest way but most problematic unless valve gets backing and support by these manufacturers - frankly I don't see this happening, the closest thing is when Samsung was about to put onlive on their Smart TV's if I recall.

There's not much on the PC streaming front which I can call a success, but what Nvidia have done with the shield and streaming Steam games is pretty amazing. (skip to 2mins)

#late night thoughts.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Hey guys, buy Injustice. I know DC isn't as cool as Marvel, but it's a good game and I want more fighting games on PC.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How? It's an extra step, sure, but it achieves literally the same result.

Having to authenticate your Steam and bend over backwards to give the keys away over copy-pasting and throwing them out there or through Steam's "redeem CD-key."

It's just an incredibly awkward extra step over the older system.

MRORANGE

Hey guys, buy Injustice. I know DC isn't as cool as Marvel, but it's a good game and I want more fighting games on PC.

There's a ton so far:

Just some of the major players sitting out such as Tekken, MVC, DOA, VF and a few others.

Cth

How is Divekick anyways?

I remember the thread seemed to go nuts for it at the time.. My daughter saw Tobuscus playing it and is begging me for a copy.

I figure it's something a six year old could have fun with.

Is it really worth $10?

How is Divekick anyways?

I remember the thread seemed to go nuts for it at the time.. My daughter saw Tobuscus playing it and is begging me for a copy.

I figure it's something a six year old could have fun with.

Is it really worth $10?

I think it is pretty fun and certainly a good introduction to fighting games.

Just be aware that online seems pretty much dead, so I'd struggle to pay $10. Hit up one of the trading bots around the place, there are generally a lot of coupons available (66% etc)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Btw, I've successfully solved my problem with my library of installed games showing up as non-installed (with data still showing up on the steam apps/steam common folder) without having to redownload stuff or doing anything drastic.

Installed games not showing up as such: solution:
For future reference or helping out other gaffers, I've fixed my problem following this process:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

Card Boy

Banned
Just be aware that online seems pretty much dead

Yep.

qDH6P.png

Gonna wait till its like $1 in a Humble Bundle.

Aaron

Playing a fighter online is never remotely as good as playing in person. Divekick needs the two person couch play or it really has nothing.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Having to authenticate your Steam and bend over backwards to give the keys away over copy-pasting and throwing them out there or through Steam's "redeem CD-key."

It's just an incredibly awkward extra step over the older system.
Once you've authenticated you dont have to do it again. Authenticating your account is (turfster not withstanding) as complicated as logging into an account. The person giving away the key just needs to copy and paste a URL.

Once set up it is actually a more convient system than before for the person redeeming and exactly the same amount of work for the person giving away.

DasFool

Question for anyone who's played Dead Space 1. Is there anyway to lock the framerate at 60 fps? It regularly caps at 30 fps with V-Sync on. When turn off in game V-Sync, it jumps to 500 fps. I tried using CCC to force V-Sync, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

cicero

Once you've authenticated you dont have to do it again. Authenticating your account is (turfster not withstanding) as complicated as logging into an account. The person giving away the key just needs to copy and paste a URL.

Once set up it is actually a more convient system than before for the person redeeming and exactly the same amount of work for the person giving away.

Ignoring the whole issue of whether or not this new system is actually another layer of DRM being attached to a formerly DRM-Free focused system and bundle of products that is. Personally, I would take a little bit more inconvenience over having my Humble account and any bundles I buy attached to a specific Steam account, or for that matter, any of the other accounts of people I gift games to. Not everyone sees increased convenience at the cost of allowing intrusive controls as something "pro-consumer"...

Played some Deadly Premonition yesterday, I got a bigger weapon bag for playing a minigame while waiting for an event to happen. It truly is the Majoras Mask of this generation, bad port or not.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
There's a ton so far:

Just some of the major players sitting out such as Tekken, MVC, DOA, VF and a few others.
I'm thinking more about the future. I'd like to see fighting games releasing on PC alongside their console counterparts as the norm. Right now, console is still the way to go if you're primarily interested in fighting games.
How's the online?
I might be remembering it wrong, but wasn't MK9 online all kinds of busted?

We'll see when it comes out, really. I didn't think Injustice online was that bad on consoles, and my experience with MK PC online was pretty positive for player matches. Never jumped into ranked, though. Just played with friends I've always had good connections with, including a buddy in California. I realize most people had issues, however.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ignoring the whole issue of whether or not this new system is actually another layer of DRM being attached to a formerly DRM-Free focused system and bundle of products that is. Personally, I would take a little bit more inconvenience over having my Humble account and any bundles I buy attached to a specific Steam account, or for that matter, any of the other accounts of people I gift games to. Not everyone sees increased convenience at the cost of allowing intrusive controls as something "pro-consumer"...

There are a few things at play here:

At least as it appears so far, you're still in control of when a certain game in a bundle gets redeemed to a certain account. This is identical functionality to being given a key that redeems on Steam.

The person you give the URL to still has the same control, in practical application, as if they were given a CD-Key.

I don't see it as increased intrusiveness, as these keys were only redeemable on Steam anyway. You had to have an account anyway. The issue of them not offering as many DRM games is legitimate, but different from them switching out how people redeem keys.

Miguel81

I just got Mortal Kombat and have no interest in Injustice. I'd buy Virtua Fighter Final Showdown in a heartbeat if Sega got their shit together about fighting games on Steam.

cicero

the 33% off Foul Play coupons (of which I happen to have two for some reason) stack with the 50% off to 75%. I'm probably the last person to figure this out and all, but just saying.

Thanks for the heads up. Apparently I have five of those coupons for some reason. Does anyone want one, I have four available. Private message me with your Steam ID if you are interested.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is really cool! It's fresh and I'm having a very good time. I heard that the game didn't sell well, and that's a pity.

Now I just really need to buy a controller, because it's a pain to play on keyboard...

Lingitiz

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is really cool! It's fresh and I'm having a very good time. I heard that the game didn't sell well, and that's a pity.

Now I just really need to buy a controller, because it's a pain to play on keyboard...

I think it's going to do really well during the winter sale. I haven't bought it yet, but it's definitely going to get a lot of attention around that time for GOTY discussions.

Dambrosi

Banned
I'll wait till they do a Humble Bundle with it.

EDIT: Ah, goddammit. OK, I'll suggest the bundle contents, then.

Throw in Injustice: GOTY, Scribblenauts Unmasked, a bunch of DC Universe Online DLC packs, and whatever Rocksteady are currently working on, wrap them up with their OSTs and maybe even a couple of DC animated movies for the BTA crowd, name it the Humble Justice Bundle, and call it one and done.

That's a couple of years from now, at the very least, though.

Finished Marlow Briggs.

Took 5+ hours. It's a decent game. While a poor man's God of War it never takes itself seriously and stays amusing throughout as a result.

Card Boy

Banned
Pack it up, PC gaming.

Not our fault when everything is basically in a bundle these days for a $1. There is no reward in supporting Indies and now big pubslishers when stuff like that happens. The pay what you want bundle craze has backfired on Indies now.

My philosophy now.

pPTuq.jpg

KJ869

I still buy indies that look intresting enought to play when I hear about them and that I know they wont hit my "need to play someday"pile. This year those have been Mercenary kings, Cludberry Kingdom, Zafehouse:Diaries, Skullgirls, Divekick and Dyad among others

Miguel81

Not our fault when everything is basically in a bundle these days for a $1. There is no reward in supporting Indies and now big pubslishers when stuff like that happens. The pay what you want bundle craze has backfired on Indies now.

My philosophy now.

pPTuq.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things!

My philosophy now.

pPTuq.jpg

that image caption should be $30 tbqh imf

Lost my interest in gaming a bit, I think. Haven't played GTA V in weeks, no real interest in playing any games on Staem. Everything is just too big to sink my teeth into.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Hey, I'm a DC guy and I disapprove of this post!
And Gods Among Us, but that's a whole different story.

Character-design is downright atrocious...

wazoo

Question for anyone who's played Dead Space 1. Is there anyway to lock the framerate at 60 fps? It regularly caps at 30 fps with V-Sync on. When turn off in game V-Sync, it jumps to 500 fps. I tried using CCC to force V-Sync, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

RadeonPro works for Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2. Let vsync off in game and tune it with the Radeonpro panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom