• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

I think you can play Dirt 2 with an offline account meaning that it will survive GFWL ?

Dirt 3 is prety much an online only game.

In what sense?

In any case, does Dirt 2 allow saving on offline profiles and not in Dirt 3? Beyond that, it's a meaningless saving grace since it doesn't account for people who haven't already activated the game beyond GFWL final shutdown if it isn't the case.

FloatOn

You should just play it on your PS3 and deal with the tech issues. The game isn't worth buying really.

After picking it back up again after a long hiatus this weekend I think I can agree with this.

I've decided that I'm going to the warrior guild story line and the main story only. All of the other side content seems to be a waste of time.

Played Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 for over 30 hours each. Not sure how I'll feel about losing my save files :/

I really, really hope they remove GFWL from Dirt 2. At least it will be worth it that way.

Derrick01

Banned
After picking it back up again after a long hiatus this weekend I think I can agree with this.

I've decided that I'm going to the warrior guild story line and the main story only. All of the other side content seems to be a waste of time.

I've done just about everything in that game so I can confirm it really is a waste of time. You'd have to somehow be way into that story and lore full of typical nonsense fantasy names and needlessly complicated history to get anything out of it. There's no real challenge in the game no matter how far you get, if anything it's like Witcher 2 where the more you play the easier it gets. The quests never get any better than the standard MMO fetch/kill 20 things crap. Your best option is just get through it as fast as possible.

Jawmuncher

Dude, if people took your advice on what was and wasn't worth playing, they'd be lucky to play something once every couple of years. >.>

I love this.
But still Derrick does make some valid points worthy of consideration.

EDIT:
Everyone needs to greenlight Narcissu. We need more Visual Novels on Steam.
268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191616515

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm... how's Skyward Collapse? I recall it being recommended here.

It's only "worthy" because others have said the same thing. Might as well listen to those folks instead of him.

Never played it, but here's a 'review' from our friend Toma:

"It sounds a bit mean, but REUS is the better god game for your money. While Skyward Collapse is the deeper game, it is also way less polished and less fun to play. I am sure some people will find enjoyment here, but the lack of progress (highscore play), UI problems (no way to tell the layout of your cities in one glance), hard to predict effects of your actions and some other issues. If you want to get a quick God game fix, REUS is definitely the better choice."

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, it'd be amazing if we could get a fully Steam-integrated port of Meet N' Fuck: Racing.

Knurek

The quests never get any better than the standard MMO fetch/kill 20 things crap.

Umm, what are you smoking exactly?

I've played the game to completion, and while there's a number of standard fetch quests, true, most of them are pretty unique. Like turning a werehuman back into original form. Or looking for a monk's erotic literature collection. Or joining brotherhood with the intention of slaying an ancient demon, only to sign a pact with said demon and then slaughter all your fellow brethen.

JaseC should be able to confirm that all of the above are true. :)

morningbus

This is not me being a dick.

I really want to understand the appeal of visual novels as a video game genre.

I'm not really a fan of the genre myself, either. However, I did play Analogue: A Hate Story and found that to be pretty interesting. I'd suggest it if you want to see what the genre can offer.

However, despite that, I haven't rushed to buy its sequel, Hate Plus, either. The most the visual novel genre can muster from me is a "that's interesting."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Umm, what are you smoking exactly?

I've played the game to completion, and while there's a number of standard fetch quests, true, most of them are pretty unique. Like turning a werehuman back into original form. Or looking for a monk's erotic literature collection. Or joining brotherhood with the intention of slaying an ancient demon, only to sign a pact with said demon and then slaughter all your fellow brethen.

JaseC should be able to confirm that all of the above are true. :)

Those quests ring a bell, but, to be honest, I don't remember much in the way of particulars as it's been well over a year since I've played it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is not me being a dick.

I really want to understand the appeal of visual novels as a video game genre.
Have you tried the Ace Attorney games? I thought they would be boring too, but I said to myself "What the hell, I have nothing to lose" and got the first game on WiiWare. I loved it so much I ended up getting the whole Phoenix Wright trilogy there, and now that I have a 3DS I imported Apollo Justice and Ace Attorney Investigations (which I was playing, but stopped because of Pokemon Y). Once I'm done with the latter I'll grab AA5, which I'm sure I'll also love.

So yeah, if you have the money to spare, get the first one. It's amazing, though I can't actually explain why.

Tenrius

Have you tried the Ace Attorney games? I thought they would be boring too, but I said to myself "What the hell, I have nothing to lose" and got the first game on WiiWare. I loved it so much I ended up getting the whole Phoenix Wright trilogy there, and now that I have a 3DS I imported Apollo Justice and Ace Attorney Investigations (which I was playing, but stopped because of Pokemon Y). Once I'm done with the latter I'll grab AA5, which I'm sure I'll also love.

So yeah, if you have the money to spare, get the first one. It's amazing, though I can't actually explain why.

It's sort of wrong to consider the Ace Attorney games to be visual novels. They are almost as close to the standard adventure games as it gets.

Parsnip

We'll see when it comes out, really. I didn't think Injustice online was that bad on consoles, and my experience with MK PC online was pretty positive for player matches. Never jumped into ranked, though. Just played with friends I've always had good connections with, including a buddy in California. I realize most people had issues, however.
Oh, heh, somehow I assumed it was out already.

Grief.exe

What if the person who purchases Amalur is secretly evil and pulls the game from steam completely?

Better buy it now just in case.

I doubt that. They will need the profits from the Steam version to justify the purchase of the property. Not to mention if they ever decide to develop a sequel.

Should have picked it up when it was on sale earlier, but I highly doubt it won't be discounted again at some point.

Edit: unless EA ends up getting it of course...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Never played it, but here's a 'review' from our friend Toma:

"It sounds a bit mean, but REUS is the better god game for your money. While Skyward Collapse is the deeper game, it is also way less polished and less fun to play. I am sure some people will find enjoyment here, but the lack of progress (highscore play), UI problems (no way to tell the layout of your cities in one glance), hard to predict effects of your actions and some other issues. If you want to get a quick God game fix, REUS is definitely the better choice."

Well, those are par for the course for a god game tbqh lol

Knurek

It's sort of wrong to consider the Ace Attorney games to be visual novels. They are almost as close to the standard adventure games as it gets.

Umm, no, they are pretty much stock Visual Novels.
The Investigation games are closer to pnc adventure games, yea, mainline Attorney games are just standard VN read and (sporadically) choose some option.

The Investigation games are closer to pnc adventure games, yea, mainline Attorney games are just standard VN read and (sporadically) choose some option.

?

The main games allow you to search for clues (which, sadly, was downplayed in Dual Destinies), the scientific investigations (AA1 Case 5/Apollo Justice), Cross Examinations and the Logic parts.

Sounds like ADV game to me.

Knurek

Where does 999 sit in these genres? I haven't played it yet, but have heard it is very good.

Visual Novel + Escape the Room flash games combined.
Story-wise, it's very good. And not in a video-game good sense - it's better than a lot of Hugo/Nebula winning books.

Sendou

Speaking of 999: what's the latest on Ever17 on Steam? I remember that it showed up in the database a while back but I haven't heard anything since.

But yeah everyone should play every single Ace Attorney games, 999 and Virtue's Last Reward.

Jawmuncher

Or Choose Your Own Adventure books with voices.
Some people (me included) are into that, c'est la vie.

That's the appeal I have for them as well.
Hell even if they aren't one's with choices I still enjoy them. Sometimes I like to sit back and just take in a story with some added elements. Sure some might say just watch a movie, but at the same time I enjoy the interactivity even if it is limited. Not everything needs a challenge to be a game.

morningbus

Which is the Japanese term for Visual Novels, isn't it?

//Edit: Ack, sorry for double posting...

From the article:
In Japanese terminology, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL), which consist predominantly of narration and have very few interactive elements, and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV), which may incorporate problem-solving and other types of gameplay. This distinction is normally lost outside Japan, where both NVLs and ADVs are commonly referred to as "visual novels" by international fans. Visual novels and ADVs are especially prevalent in Japan, where they made up nearly 70% of the PC game titles released in 2006.[4]

Tenrius

What about the puzzles and the exploration (aka investigations in the mainline games)? The trials are also basically an extended puzzle, present in all of the games as well. This is not a "choose some option", because you have to actually solve a puzzle (by analysing a testimony) to proceed and there are fail states, whereas in a typical VN most options merely put you on a different path of the branching scenario. And, well, AAI is no different from the main series (despite being boring trite), the gameplay is pretty much the same.

That's entirely unlike, say, Ever 17, which doesn't have any gameplay at all and even the dialogue choices are not very often (you can spend significant amounts of time reading, before you are even presented with next one) or even 999, which merely features elements of the adventure genre.

The only thing that's different in AA compared to games like Monkey Island, * Quest, Grim Fandango etc is the perspective (first person vs. third person), but they are not very much different gameplay-wise. Unless your definition of a VN is "any first person text-heavy game with anime-like stylistics", of course. In that case AA games indeed are VNs, as is stuff like Etrian Odyssey.

Where does 999 sit in these genres? I haven't played it yet, but have heard it is very good.

It's basically a VN (rare dialogue choices that put you on different tracks) interwoven with occasional puzzle sections, which are more or less isolated from the VN parts.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
A thought inspired by skimming the last few posts; imagine Bioshock Infinite as a visual novel.

I've always wondered if Infinite was intended to be far less linear than it was, what with the premise of Elizabeth's powers. A choose-your-own-adventure mechanic would mesh with that well. Also, tens and tens of millions of dollars cheaper to develop, probably. But a lot less youtube videos about Booker eating garbage. Hmm.

Grief.exe

Burial at Sea and Enemy Within reviews cropping up.

The former is getting negative impressions across the board, while the latter's seem to be very positive.

Which is the Japanese term for Visual Novels, isn't it?

//Edit: Ack, sorry for double posting...

Doesn't wrong anything I said, I just think Western fan tend to confuse them because even ADV games from Japan are way more wordy than most games from the West.

That said, I really don't care much about the label. But you don't see Ace Attorney listed in most Visual Novels sites. Kinda like Ghost Trick, a puzzle game, that sometimes gets the Visual Novel treatment.

Xanathus

Burial at Sea and Enemy Within reviews cropping up.

The former is getting negative impressions across the board, while the latter's seem to be very positive.

From RockPaperShotgun's impressions of Burial at Sea, it looks like I should wait for the next part of the DLC tobe released and for the season pass to be like $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom