• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dirt 1 isn't GFWL but seems to have an unpleasant assortment of issues with modern PCs. I was happy to see it worked without a single problem cropping up on Windows 8.1 64-bit the other day though.

Oh god, how did I accrue 18 hours of playtime in Euro Truck Simulator 2?

That game is neat guys.

Dirt 1 isn't GFWL but seems to have an unpleasant assortment of issues with modern PCs. I was happy to see it worked without a single problem cropping up on Windows 8.1 64-bit the other day though.

Yeah I had trouble getting it to launch in Windows 7 64-bit. I've enjoyed 2/3 and would like to check out 1 if they ever got around to fixing it.

Nabs

New client beta:

Steam
On game launch, if there is an update available but we haven't started downloading it yet, ask the user if they want to launch the existing bits or wait for the update.
Fix hang on start-up if you had a problem connecting to the update server

Big Picture
Allow use of the up and down arrows on the Store description dialog
Prompt for immediate restart if the user changes beta client opt in status
Fixed loop in the UI if you navigated from an IM to the web, hit the Steam button to go back and then hit Done in the footer
Fixed password cap locks label not hiding when there was input in the password box
Fixed check for updates button not hiding in the case you had an update ready to restart into

Hinomura

Played a little bit of Archeblade (f2p game which packs are discounted for the weekly Steam deals) aaand... I'm sorry for the devs, but it's just not fun at all. :(

Sadly this is not a fighting game as advertised: it's more like playing "Capture the base" in World of Warcraft, with limited skills, awkward controls and unbalanced characters.

Played for about half an hour and it was one of the most shallow experience I had in a long time. The controls are crazy: WASD to move, mouse buttons to attack, various key to sprint / jump / block / skill 1 / skill 2 aaand - brace yourself - alt+space+right mouse button for the special attack... whoa.

Besides being very limited, some characters movesets are pretty terribad - ie one of the most offender is a girl which moves on the side when attacking with basic attack: good luck when she completely misses the attack or - if you succeed - to adjust the camera while going on with the attack.

I tried playing online with a bulk male character which pratically destroyed anyone in front of him. Snipers simply missed him (the sniping is unpratical at best), others characters skills just gazed him. I managed to die just rushing among all the enemies, after killing others and even capturing a base - without using any skill to recover health - and pratically rushing in blindly.

I really doubt devs will succedd in polishing this game in something good: in that case my real sincere compliments, but, as things stand, I'm quite doubtful.

Sajjaja

Played a little bit of Archeblade (f2p game which packs are discounted for the weekly Steam deals) aaand... I'm sorry for the devs, but it's just not fun at all. :(

Sadly this is not a fighting game as advertised: it's more like playing "Capture the base" in World of Warcraft, with limited skills, awkward controls and unbalanced characters.

Played for about half an hour and it was one of the most shallow experience I had in a long time. The controls are crazy: WASD to move, mouse buttons to attack, various key to sprint / jump / block / skill 1 / skill 2 aaand - brace yourself - alt+space+right mouse button for the special attack... whoa.

Besides being very limited, some characters movesets are pretty terribad - ie one of the most offender is a girl which moves on the side when attacking with basic attack: good luck when she completely misses the attack or - if you succeed - to adjust the camera while going on with the attack.

I tried playing online with a bulk male character which pratically destroyed anyone in front of him. Snipers simply missed him (the sniping is unpratical at best), others characters skills just gazed him. I managed to die just rushing among all the enemies, after killing others and even capturing a base - without using any skill to recover health - and pratically rushing in blindly.

I really doubt devs will succedd in polishing this game in something good: in that case my real sincere compliments, but, as things stand, I'm quite doubtful.

Surely a game with these kinds of characters is of the highest caliber of quality.
ss_e11f085b29c028fc6c8ccc034dffd1b90ee56a56.600x338.jpg

is anodyne good? it looks really cool. kinda sad i couldn't find anyone willing to hawk me a code from the humble it was in. i should've bought that one i guess. but yeah, good game or no bueno? i do enjoy retro games in that style.

Random Q: I think I have the Mac versions of GTAIII and expansions on my games list but they are doubled with the listings for the Windows versions, and I just want to get rid of them but I can't figure it out. Any way to hide or delete a game that you can't even download?

Hinomura

Surely a game with these kinds of characters is of the highest caliber of quality.
ss_e11f085b29c028fc6c8ccc034dffd1b90ee56a56.600x338.jpg
"Multiplayer Fighting Game", "Premium / Basic packs discounted for the weekly Steam deals", "We are indie devs, support us if you like this early access game!" definetely tricked me in trying it :(

MRORANGE

Random Q: I think I have the Mac versions of GTAIII and expansions on my games list but they are doubled with the listings for the Windows versions, and I just want to get rid of them but I can't figure it out. Any way to hide or delete a game that you can't even download?

Nope.

You can create a list of games that you do want to show though, by selecting each one.

Hinomura

If you are displaying game list, make a "Mac games" category, put them into it and minimize it, I fear it's the only solution (aside don't minding them).

Clawww

is anodyne good? it looks really cool. kinda sad i couldn't find anyone willing to hawk me a code from the humble it was in. i should've bought that one i guess. but yeah, good game or no bueno? i do enjoy retro games in that style.

I've only played a little bit but it's been enjoyable. Getting some Earthbound vibes with the music/weirdness, which is nice. I'd say it's worth playing if you're into its style.

Echoplx

Is there some kind of active Rockstar twitter account? Or better yet a twitter account for a rockstar dev who worked at the porting studio? Steam support says it's up to them to fix that issue but I can't find any way to actually contact them other then the generic contact-us forms that probably get ignored.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I played through Star Trek - Not The Movie - The Game over the weekend on 360 (got it as a gift). My thoughts were here. Conclusion: flawed and frustrating and could have been more, but I think probably better than most reviews gave it credit for with some neat high points. Better than Aliens or Dead Space 3 but not exactly good. I thought about posting the review in here but I felt like since I didn't play it on PC I had better not, but now I'm cross-linking because last sale there were tons of people asking about whether it's worthwhile. ATTN: dev who worked on the game and PMed me about it when I was asking if it was worth it.

I also played Beyond on PS3, which I thought was spectacular (!!!), original, and conceivably my GOTY. I'm still digesting and haven't written anything about it. It's the next evolution of David Cage's vision. He's getting so close--so painfully close--to pulling off the major idea he's had for a long time, and he's operating with a level of vision that few devs have. A real triumph.

I could tell from a great distance that Rogue Legacy was no Hotline Miami.

Hotline Miami is a provocative, stylish mess that requires a good deal of skill to play well. I finished it (finished finished, not just half finished) but never felt like I was a great player, and I also found the weird tone and intentionally revolting visuals turned me off a little. Still, infinitely ambitious and refreshing and definitely something that should be played by everyone to try it to sort of try to understand it and unpack it mechanically.

By contrast, Rogue Legacy is a very clean, polished execution of a core concept that while initially expansive becomes fairly shallow when you realize that progress relies on grinding rather than skill. The myriad of customization mechanics are actually quite superfluous and I'm not really sure all that many builds are actually "viable" long-term (really you want one treasure build for grinding, and then one build to tank to clear stages) It's not super ambitious. I believe I probably enjoyed it a little more, but it's a much more slight game. I'd recommend it for the right price, but it's not a must play and I don't think it'll be discussed a few years from now while HM will.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hotline Miami is a provocative, stylish mess that requires a good deal of skill to play well. I finished it (finished finished, not just half finished) but never felt like I was a great player, and I also found the weird tone and intentionally revolting visuals turned me off a little. Still, infinitely ambitious and refreshing and definitely something that should be played by everyone to try it to sort of try to understand it and unpack it mechanically.

By contrast, Rogue Legacy is a very clean, polished execution of a core concept that while initially expansive becomes fairly shallow when you realize that progress relies on grinding rather than skill. The myriad of customization mechanics are actually quite superfluous and I'm not really sure all that many builds are actually "viable" long-term (really you want one treasure build for grinding, and then one build to tank to clear stages) It's not super ambitious. I believe I probably enjoyed it a little more, but it's a much more slight game. I'd recommend it for the right price, but it's not a must play and I don't think it'll be discussed a few years from now while HM will.

Dammit Stump I wasn't asking for a fair, thoughtful comparison.

Btw you totally shouldn't have buried that Star Trek review in the OT. I was boredly skimming Gaming Community and was really confused why that thread actually hit the first page.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dammit Stump I wasn't asking for a fair, thoughtful comparison.

Btw you totally shouldn't have buried that Star Trek review in the OT. I was boredly skimming Gaming Community and was really confused why that thread actually hit the first page.

Hah, just edited my post to cross-promote, thanks for noticing.

Eh I thought Archeblade was good enough for the time I spent with it.

It's closer to Anarchy Regins, better in some ways (playable frame-rate) worse in others (not as deep, less modes).

Hinomura

Oh well... it's THAT time...

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- To redeem Humble Bundle codes, insert your redeemed <CODE> in this url: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=<CODE>
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

King's Bounty Warriors of the North -- MB-7321104A4952BCAF - Taken by Aitor. 12 entrants total.
Majesty 2 Collection (Steam) -- MB-93D1B11B03BD986C - Taken by Tolerance. 9 entrants total.
Star Wolves 3 Civil War (Steam) -- MB-818527C174400B6E - Taken by MMBosstones86. 3 entrants total.
Foreign Legion Buckets of Blood (Steam) -- MB-476BDD2DEB8AA08F - Taken by Cth. 6 entrants total.
Dinner Date (Steam) -- MB-C2DDADAB721FB80F - Taken by gwynplaine. 7 entrants total.
Colin McRae DiRT 2 (Steam) -- MB-46849A0F9CC5FEBE - Taken by Reckoner. 25 entrants total.
Electronic Super Joy (Steam) -- MB-58D7351442A54715 - Taken by Nabs. 13 entrants total.
A New Beginning (Steam/Humble Bundle) -- MB-B240C493D548B86A - Taken by oipic. 10 entrants total.
Hoard (Steam) -- MB-B44675C67143DC33 - Taken by FauX. 5 entrants total.
Mount & Blade (Steam) -- MB-53AB108526D2D328 - Taken by topyy. 12 entrants total.
Deponia (Steam/Humble Bundle) -- MB-F71E906D5F05AB98 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 17 entrants total.
Plain Sight (Steam) -- MB-7B9D42755A990C66 - Taken by Mengy. 5 entrants total.
Lucius (Steam) -- MB-7BCC4CDDBE3A3F6C - Taken by DXLelouch153. 4 entrants total.
The 39 Steps (Setam) -- MB-98710130DCFD2FFE - Taken by vvise. 7 entrants total.
Edna & Harvey Harvey's new eyes (Steam/Humble Bundle) -- MB-BCAD53B629F53D48 - Taken by tylergregg. 3 entrants total.
Hard Reset Extended Edition (Steam) -- MB-4B66BC8E9C2A7AE5 - Taken by cicero. 24 entrants total.
Crusader Kings Complete (Steam) -- MB-0BD1284B34844673 - Taken by bobnowhere. 9 entrants total.
Shelter (Steam) -- MB-63F68F74C1F96095 - Taken by Kirosia. 14 entrants total.
The Whispered World (Steam/Humble Bundle) -- MB-5F13207C9DF671F6 - Taken by neoism. 6 entrants total.

t1384231445z1.png

Warning: made a bit of mess... some codes could contain more text, ie " - Humble Bundle): 1111-1111-1111" instead of "1111-1111-1111". Please let me know (via PM!) if there'll be problems!

Good luck!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I played through Star Trek - Not The Movie - The Game over the weekend on 360 (got it as a gift). My thoughts were here. Conclusion: flawed and frustrating and could have been more, but I think probably better than most reviews gave it credit for with some neat high points. Better than Aliens or Dead Space 3 but not exactly good. I thought about posting the review in here but I felt like since I didn't play it on PC I had better not, but now I'm cross-linking because last sale there were tons of people asking about whether it's worthwhile.

I can echo this - I don't think the game is as bad as most people make it out to be. Sure there are highs and lows (like most games) but I'd easily give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. Probably higher if they left the space battle part out completely.

Lain

Started up Party of Sin and played for 20 minutes. Feels like a really boring/bad game.
Two things irked me, first the translation in Italian for stuff like empty file, which in Italian became empty the file, then the shoddy options which don't even let me change button mappings.

I also played Beyond on PS3, which I thought was spectacular (!!!), original, and conceivably my GOTY. I'm still digesting and haven't written anything about it. It's the next evolution of David Cage's vision. He's getting so close--so painfully close--to pulling off the major idea he's had for a long time, and he's operating with a level of vision that few devs have. A real triumph.

Interesting, I would like to hear more when you digest.

how is binary domain? i bought it from gamefly or something the other day because it was three bucks. kind of silly as i'm getting it on ps+ this month but ain't nobody got time for inferior experiences.

TBH i hated vanquish as it was just a boring game imo, so i'm kind of scared binary's going to be more of the same lol as it looked really similar, but three bucks, if it is it is

Hinomura

Mmmh probably I've messed up with " - " space/dash/space characters string...

In the raffle there'll be codes like:

- Valhalla Edition (Steam): 111AA-A1AA1-AAAA1

instead of:

111AA-A1AA1-AAAA1

Winners, in that case just copy the code!

I played through Star Trek - Not The Movie - The Game over the weekend on 360 (got it as a gift). My thoughts were here. Conclusion: flawed and frustrating and could have been more, but I think probably better than most reviews gave it credit for with some neat high points. Better than Aliens or Dead Space 3 but not exactly good. I thought about posting the review in here but I felt like since I didn't play it on PC I had better not, but now I'm cross-linking because last sale there were tons of people asking about whether it's worthwhile. ATTN: dev who worked on the game and PMed me about it when I was asking if it was worth it.
This pretty much sums up the game and most Trek games, if I'm going to be honest. Almost all the games have some technical and content flaws that drag them down, especially if you aren't a Trek fan and thus aren't invested in the characters/setting to overlook the flaws.

That said, I wish most of those old titles would get put on Steam. It sucks that I have to trawl through sketchy sites just to see if I can get the games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can echo this - I don't think the game is as bad as most people make it out to be. Sure there are highs and lows (like most games) but I'd easily give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. Probably higher if they left the space battle part out completely.

I'm pretty sure most people who shit on it haven't really tried it and are just assuming no one will defend a movie game.

I pretty much agree. I like Rogue Legacy, but it's not one of the better semi-Roguelikes on the market. Restarting to play again got old much more quickly in this game than in stuff like Binding of Isaac, FTL, or Spelunky.

I pretty much agree. I like Rogue Legacy, but it's not one of the better semi-Roguelikes on the market. Restarting to play again got old much more quickly in this game than in stuff like Binding of Isaac, FTL, or Spelunky.

That is probably fair enough. But still, I got 11 really good hours out of it (14 Spelunky, 42 FTL!)

Hotline miami is quite different at only 4, but is still a very interesting game. I didn't enjoy it all that much, but I'm very glad I experienced it. I can't wait to see where they go with the idea.

As for binary domain, I always mix that up with Alpha Protocol as the "game that got poor reviews but is actually really good if you get into it." Which one fits that description again?

KarmaCow

New client beta:

Steam
On game launch, if there is an update available but we haven't started downloading it yet, ask the user if they want to launch the existing bits or wait for the update.

Nice. Next up, make it so you don't have to download all DLC when starting a fresh download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom