• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what games are going to be added to the Humble WB Bundle tomorrow? I'm only really interested in getting the complete FEAR collection. It would be awesome if FEAR 1 wasn't BTA so I could buy the bundle super cheap, all these sales and bundles have me tight on money :(

Probably, F.E.A.R. 1, a Mortal Kombat package, Gotham City Heroes Imposter Pack, Guardians of Middle Earth MOBA and DLC and finally some Arkham Origins DLC.

Altazor

Quick intro impressions for Rainblood Chronicles: Mirage

So, I picked up this game since I liked its style and wanted to see what's what.

very nice recap, sounds fun. Is it similar to Muramasa and/or Dust in terms of gameplay? I'm asking because those are the games I'm immediately reminded of when seeing the screens.

Volcynika

very nice recap, sounds fun. Is it similar to Muramasa and/or Dust in terms of gameplay? I'm asking because those are the games I'm immediately reminded of when seeing the screens.

It seems deeper on a more......technical level I guess? It seems to fall a bit more in line with Muramasa (due to the alternating between defensive and offensive strategy), Dust was fun but a bit more button mash-y. People are saying you can get through the game with the basic combos, but I'm still working on wrapping my head around the characters and their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not too much of a fan of the key swords with one character, but I much rather prefer the shadow or whatever dodge of the other. And due to its linear nature (due to having stages), there's no backtracking or anything like that you'd find in Muramasa or Dust.

FloatOn

That would probably be why I mix them up. I've had both sitting in my "want to play" category for a long time.

Alpha protocol has a really cool premise that it completely fails to deliver on. YouTube the cut scenes if you must, to actually play it is a dreadful experience.

Binary domain is excellent however. Just be sure to turn off the voice command gimmick.

Altazor

It seems deeper on a more......technical level I guess? It seems to fall a bit more in line with Muramasa (due to the alternating between defensive and offensive strategy), Dust was fun but a bit more button mash-y. People are saying you can get through the game with the basic combos, but I'm still working on wrapping my head around the characters and their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not too much of a fan of the key swords with one character, but I much rather prefer the shadow or whatever dodge of the other. And due to its linear nature (due to having stages), there's no backtracking or anything like that you'd find in Muramasa or Dust.

great, thanks a lot!

Derrick01

Banned
Alpha protocol has a really cool premise that it completely fails to deliver on. YouTube the cut scenes if you must, to actually play it is a dreadful experience.

Binary domain is excellent however. Just be sure to turn off the voice command gimmick.

You don't youtube a game with such great writing and a massive amount of choices that really affect the story, unlike games that promise such features and never deliver anything but a broken story *cough*masseffect*cough*biowareisajoke*cough*

What you do is play it 6 times in an attempt to see everything and then question if you really did see everything.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I started playing Call of Juarez, the first one (which I got from the latest Groupees bundle). I'm liking it so far, even though it's very janky.

I swear, at times I feel like it's going to break down, and it once did:
3EDAFA2F48811A9E01CE779E6ECC4870A323B670
Apparently the game didn't trigger a scripted event that was supposed to happen a few minutes prior, which meant I headed off to a place where I wasn't meant to be. This area was part of the next level, so the buildings didn't load properly.

Other times, the main character appears to clip through doors for a fraction of a second. Or he dies by falling down 10cm, because I'm not supposed to go down that slope yet. The rope controls are also pretty bad, both for grabbing things and jumping to ledges. All of this should make me hate the game, but strangely that's not the case. I'm really enjoying it, despite its several flaws.

mannerbot

By contrast, Rogue Legacy is a very clean, polished execution of a core concept that while initially expansive becomes fairly shallow when you realize that progress relies on grinding rather than skill. The myriad of customization mechanics are actually quite superfluous and I'm not really sure all that many builds are actually "viable" long-term (really you want one treasure build for grinding, and then one build to tank to clear stages) It's not super ambitious. I believe I probably enjoyed it a little more, but it's a much more slight game. I'd recommend it for the right price, but it's not a must play and I don't think it'll be discussed a few years from now while HM will.

Yeah, Rogue Legacy is unbelievably overrated. I've only played two hours but as far as I'm concerned, it's a terrible take on Spelunky where the "fun" comes from chasing a carrot on a stick rather than getting better. Blech.

Caerith

There's pretty significant grinding in your first run through. Until you've unlocked the more viable classes and pretty near maxed out your HP, it's basically impossible to finish a section until you've grinded enough levels to get to OHKOing base enemies and two-hitting higher end enemies. Hokage end up being very valuable the first run through for this reason. Assassins get good when you get some crit upgrades. Barbarians are the most viable class of the first few because the HP boost allows you to tank through some of the bad obstacle portions.
You're right that there is a lot of grinding, but the real flaw I think is that the grinding is even worse if you don't have stay focused on a single build.

I found that unlocking more classes was actually counterproductive. I erased my first save because of it, really. My second save, I didn't even unlock Hokage until I was almost done with attack and health, and only then to get to the crit passives; I only unlocked Archmage and Spelunker to get to the +gold passive. When I did have Hokage unlocked, I never used it unless I had no other choice. High consistent damage was alright, but anything that took more than one hit to kill was invariably easier with a crit class.

Assassins, even before you get full crits, were great for getting past obstacles because of their mist form skill. Barbarians had lots of health, but their shout was just godly. Paladins were best of show. Spelunkers... with full crits and dark armor, I killed a few NG++ minibosses with a Spelunker; I couldn't do the same with a Hokage.

Oh, and having 3-4 jump runes is practically game-breaking. Never having to smack a platform makes the game so much better.

KarmaCow

Alpha Protocol is fine if you play stealth and go pistols->chain shot for bosses. It's not anything special but hardly broken or anymore tedious than something like Human Revolution. It also has a great conversation system and some good flexiblity on progression. It's hardly GotG but the way people talk about you'd think the game was utterly broken. Though I did play it after all the patches.

Also I'd argue that Binary Domain, at least on the standard difficult wiffs on it's cool aspect location based damage changing the enemies attack patterns. Center of mass shots is usually faster than trying to disable enemies. It also has a bunch dumb shit like turret sections and useless AI companions both in terms of gameplay and the half-baked loyalty system, so at best it's just another middling TPS with a dumb (or "dumb" if you prefer) B-movie plot.

Sajjaja

Man, I loved Alpha Protocol, gameplay and all. I don't care what you all say, I love this game to it's very core even though it's janky. I never found it a chore to play, ever.

I started playing Call of Juarez, the first one (which I got from the latest Groupees bundle). I'm liking it so far, even though it's very janky.
My favourite memory of that game is being forbidden from attacking most things in the environment, including chairs. A red "X" will overlay on your crosshair and you just won't be able to attack.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
My bro is getting a new PC and I wanted to have him share my games, but it seems Family Sharing is gimped and utterly stupid.

Tagyhag

Yeah, Rogue Legacy is unbelievably overrated. I've only played two hours but as far as I'm concerned, it's a terrible take on Spelunky where the "fun" comes from chasing a carrot on a stick rather than getting better. Blech.
I understand what you mean, but I think it can still be fun to set your own challenges. Like beating the game with the first knight.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Transmorphers is so dope, the animation is just so goofy:

10812697154_6231a41b38_o.gif

My bro is getting a new PC and I wanted to have him share my games, but it seems Family Sharing is gimped and utterly stupid.
I have put like 20+ hours into my friend's library and one of my friends has beaten like 10 of my games already.

Colin.

Probably already mentioned, but to anyone that got Mousecraft whilst it was PWYW, the Steam key is now available. Just redeemed mine.

Also, wtf at that 4gb XCOM update. I guess it's to do with Enemy Within, but seems pointless if you're not even getting it.

Exuro

Does anyone that's played through Guacamelee know where to get El Brody? I assumed it was a shop skin but I'm not seeing it anywhere and I don't have it already. I need to get the GOOOOAL! achievement D:

topyy

Oh well... it's THAT time...

Warning: made a bit of mess... some codes could contain more text, ie " - Humble Bundle): 1111-1111-1111" instead of "1111-1111-1111". Please let me know (via PM!) if there'll be problems!

Good luck!

thanks for Mount & Blade

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sniper Elite V2's multiplayer is full of wallhackers, it seems.

And since it doesn't use VAC there's nothing to do about it.

Oh well, I bought it for the singleplayer anyway. But I decided to dip my toes in the multiplayer just to try it out, got shot through walls and NOPEd on out of there.

MRORANGE

Transmorphers is so dope, the animation is just so goofy:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7341/10812697154_6231a41b38_o.gif[/IM]

I have put like 20+ hours into my friend's library and one of my friends has beaten like 10 of my games already.[/QUOTE]

That Transformers .gif is just so jarring that it's good, heck if the CGI was this bad in Michael Bay's films I would actually watch the Transformer films

Nabs

Warning: made a bit of mess... some codes could contain more text, ie " - Humble Bundle): 1111-1111-1111" instead of "1111-1111-1111". Please let me know (via PM!) if there'll be problems!

Good luck!

Thanks for Super Joy

Grief.exe

Haven't heard that one yet.

Probably already mentioned, but to anyone that got Mousecraft whilst it was PWYW, the Steam key is now available. Just redeemed mine.

Also, wtf at that 4gb XCOM update. I guess it's to do with Enemy Within, but seems pointless if you're not even getting it.

Probably getting some of the fixes and new assets that come along with the new expansion.

KarmaCow

Wow the counter in Rain Blood Chronicles is kinda ridiculous. It has very lenient timing, does 9999 to jobber enemies, which I assume will be one hit kill for the rest of the game, hits enemies with ranged attacks, boosts your score rating significantly and seems to hit more than just the enemy that was attacking. That said, it doesn't do that much on bosses with a health bar, but it still does a decent amount of damage usually knocks them down. That's not enough so that the optimal strategy is to just wait and counter everything but it does seem pretty viable to do that.

I only played the first stage and got a terribad score rating, partially because I was testing out stuff (you can dash cancel any move, at any time (I think) with one of the characters, which also seems kinda weird), but mostly because I suck. I was kinda down on the game because the animation/attacking is kinda janky but that first (real) boss was interesting enough that I want to continue to at least see the rest of the enemies and use more of the Kee Sword user. It does seem like the kind of game where the challenge comes getting high ranks instead of just completing it.

cicero

Good luck!
Thank you very much for Hard Reset, Hinomura!

destx

Man, I loved Alpha Protocol, gameplay and all. I don't care what you all say, I love this game to it's very core even though it's janky. I never found it a chore to play, ever.
Hells yeah, that game is a blast. I had a great time doing fucked up kung-fu/shotgun combos, my character was OP as hell. Legitimately one of the funniest games I've ever played too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom