• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jørdan

tumblr_mw4xf5OFzJ1r6z8yvo1_400.jpg

Completed my first playthrough of Alpha Protocol yesterday, the time is bugged so I'd have to guess a little less than twice that. It felt well paced as I was playing with the exception of my failing miserably at a few points to proceed without a few reloads, notably when I'm trying to proceed in a manner that would impress Tom Clancy when my companion/s on the mission are aiming for Tom Cruise. It is these acquaintances and characters that make the game as impressive as it is, there are great characters and dialogue with a fairly good story to enjoy.

It was a welcomed relief to have a protagonist that wasn't an asshole for a change, although the option was there to respond that way in conversation if you chose. At the end I was very happy with the conclusion of the story and was keep wondering right up to the last minute. I grew attached to some of those I met and to have a cliched ending was admittedly pleasing.

In the time I played some of the issues I encountered were two instances of getting stuck which I managed to break free with some kung-fu, dubious enemy intelligence, horrid controls prior to tweaks, graphical glitches with the inventory and the most absurd implementation of a sniper rifle in a game yet seen. Yet none of this prevented my enjoyment of the game and where it really shines, certainly not to the extent I was led to believe. Alpha Protocol isn't flawless yet what it does do well is far greater than that it does not, it was a successful mission.

theRizzle

I liked Asylum a lot more than City, it was a more streamlined experience, City tries to do too many things in my opinion.

I agree with you completely. I've played about 6 hours of City and while it does a better job of making you feel like Batman, I think the game itself suffers from it. It's not cohesive at all and feels like a lot of the stuff you are doing exists solely to have you traverse the large city they built.

The problem with that is going from place to place in the City never feels dangerous or exciting. You just grapple around and avoid any encounters you don't want to have.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Er-This has been known for MONTHS now, how did you think it would work any different?

Actually that was only known after being tried out. The press release didn't have much info on how they work other than "having everyone use it".

How do you think Valve got around having to get the agreement of every publisher on Steam ever implement any kind of sharing system?

Wasn't PS3 able to do that to their digital releases?

Look up on the huge argument in the community thread in the board. It's the argument using on what was released via press.

You can play his library while he is playing yours, but one library cannot be accessed at the same time.

Yeah, which sucks.

Sajjaja

What does that even mean? And how does it override the vast gameplay improvements City made over AA?

Easy there, dude. I'm not saying it overrides anything. It doesn't. I'm not saying Asylum is better, City is much better overall.

Maybe. But 'atmosphere' might be the only thing that it has over City, in terms of mechanics and overall polishment so far.

Agreed.

I like my Batman flying over rooftops.

Yeah for sure. In terms of mechanics, AC is better no question.

Grief.exe

So it seems that Call of Duty has been bleeding users on the PC side for years at this point. About 35,000-40,000 concurrent members per launch are lost.

Interesting to see where the next Call of Duty lines up, I doubt it will lose another 35,000+ concurrent users, making the effective total zero. Likely it will stabilize somewhere around this number, or peak around 20,000-25,000.

vnSWAbW.png

So it seems that Call of Duty has been bleeding users on the PC side for years at this point. About 35,000-40,000 concurrent members per launch are lost.

Interesting to see where the next Call of Duty lines up, I doubt it will lose another 35,000+ concurrent users, making the effective total zero. Likely it will stabilize somewhere around this number, or peak around 20,000-25,000.

vnSWAbW.png

Wow. I wonder if the console numbers are like that as well?

Grief.exe

I was under the impression that Activision was always saying the amount of money they earned was increasing, until Ghosts was released.

I don't know too much about Call of Duty though, just interesting to look at these numbers on the PC side.

Nabs

Probably not. COD on PC has been rocky thanks to bad PC support. Whenever Treyarch tries to do right by the PC crowd, IW comes in and knocks shit over again. Blops 2 made up for a lot of the issues Blops 1 had and is extremely well optimized. They also have a very active banhammer. Hackers don't last long, so they aren't even an issue. I wish I could say the same for MW2/3.

Remember, a good number of users can't even play Ghosts. I don't think the numbers would be this bad if it was optimized for lower end systems.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Call of Duty still lights up the XBL user activity charts:

Modern Call of Duty has never been particularly popular on the PC outside of launch windows -- many people get caught up in the new game smell before moving back to whatever they were playing prior, be that a game in a different series entirely or simply their preferred Call of Duty instalment.

JaseC

I'm still waiting on Black Ops to hit $10. Hopefully Cheers Tony can pull such a rabbit out of his hat for Amazon's Winter Sale.

Clawww

Quick intro impressions for Rainblood Chronicles: Mirage

So, I picked up this game since I liked its style and wanted to see what's what.

I've only played one level so far, but I really like the art style. The world map of stages to pick seems to fill in over time, so I'm hoping to see some interesting environments. Also love the animations, especially for some of the more powerful attacks.

Story pretty simple so far. One member of a group has gone missing, and you have two different people (this game can be played local co-op) going to find him. Simple enough so far.

One character I like more because he has a dodge mechanic. He can dodge out of enemy attacks and counter with a strong slash. The other one uses these kee (I think) swords to assist him, both in defense and attack (this skill allows him to double jump). The game is stage based and sidescrolling for the most part (from what I've seen of trailers and screens), so no real genre changes or anything.

The game has skills to unlock along with a list of combos for each character in the menu. I'm still trying to get a feel for the game and how it works, so I've been doing terrible so far. The guy in the screenshot up above is the first real boss, and he is an asshole (at least until I get his patterns down). If you try to mash against the boss, you'll get taken down fairly quickly. And of course it wouldn't be a crazy action boss without the boss having stages and changing his attack pattern and attack set during the fight, so you have to be prepared. There was even a mini boss to deal with, and it's a challenge for me at least to be a bit more on the defensive and counter effectively.

Between stages you can go to a temple and buy yourself skills and items for your team, though obviously they have different sets of skills, so you have to pick wisely with your money and spirits you collect in the levels. Apparently it has 9 total levels each with its own boss, a boss rush mode (from glancing at the achievements), and multiple difficulties. There's even a DMC-like ranking system when you're doing battle.

While I'm not doing so hot at the game for the most part, I'm enjoying what it's offering. The music is pretty awesome when the battles are going, and I'm going t work and get the systems down pat to do some actually flashy moves (on purpose).

That's just my quick impressions. You can go ahead and make fun of me, since I streamed it and you can watch me to terrible at the boss :( http://www.twitch.tv/volcynika/b/478933408

I also don't like the money collecting sound. Kind of annoying. But still fun so far!

Nice; I bought this, too. Haven't played it yet, though.

JaseC

They aren't even pricing MW1 that low during sales

That's because Acti has more recently favoured discounting the latest instalment and leaving the rest of the series with a general discount, presumably to encourage adoption, but there have been notable Call of Duty deals outside of Steam within this period (the most recent example being Modern Warfare for $5 at some Mac-orientated store). Looking at Steam's own pricing history, though, Modern Warfare up to and including Modern Warfare 2 haven't been reduced by more more than 25% since last year's Winter Sale, and the cheapest Black Ops has been is ridiculous $20 -- but it's a moot point since I mentioned Amazon.

Edit: If by some miracle Black Ops gets a 66% discount this year, I should be able to pick it up for $10 through a trader.

Echoplx

Cheers for the heads up. Looked at it before, and seems like a decent little game. Seems my mere $1.50 was more than enough to BTA.

That's confusing me a bit, if the bta bonus is the soundtrack why is the non-bta version being advertised as the soundtrack edition?

Colin.

That's confusing me a bit, if the bta bonus is the soundtrack why is the non-bta version being advertised as the soundtrack edition?

Never noticed that, not really sure if you still get it or not if you don't BTA. Maybe someone who didn't can clarify. I was going to pay $1.50 regardless, so my BTA buy was kinda unintentional.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
It's my birthday today, weee

Happy Birthday!

Let's celebrate with a giveaway!

This raffle is for an IndieGameStand Steam key activation code. Meaning, when the winner receives the code from this raffle they will receive a gift link to retrieve the actual Steam key from IndieGameStand.

If the winner does not receive the link from Modbot (i.e. I messed up the code), PM me for the link. :)

Good Luck...

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-11159C79C850B76E - Taken by Dice. 3 entrants total.

t1384243102z1.png

Edit: Congratulations to Dice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom