• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You will get another chance getting Splatter in another bundle :)
did you buy the groupees be mine 9? it was in that one

D'oh, sorry, I meant have already bought (I always make stupid mistakes like that when using the internet in the wee hours of the morning :p). On the subject of buying things, today's Daily is 66% off Towns ($5.09).

Edit: Bah, it happened again. "Using the internet", not "using the".

Chronoja

urgh Pro Evo 2014 is out meaning 2013 just went into "high risk of removal" status (in my mind) I don't want to get it so let's hope it goes on sale before it gets removed.

dani_dc

About time PES 2014 is out.

I would had gotten it full price if it was available on Steam at release day.
Now my "itch" for football games is gone, and after reading all the impressions of the game there's no way I'll be paying full price for it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I... voted no on more of those games than I voted yes on. (Speaking of which, I just broke 1900 Greenlight votes. Anyone else?)

When Greenlight first went live I made a point to sift through everything, but it wasn't long before I fell behind and these days there are just far too many games to look at, so I more or less only upvote things people recommend or that I've purchased in bundles. I think I'm sitting at around 230 votes.

Tellaerin

I... voted no on more of those games than I voted yes on. (Speaking of which, I just broke 1900 Greenlight votes. Anyone else?)

I'm currently standing at... um... 5? Maybe I ought to vote on more Greenlight games. >.> (So far, I've pretty much just upvoted stuff that people here brought to my attention.)

Burial @ Sea may be short as hell, but damn it's good to be back in Rapture. Such a 'darker' environment than Columbia with crazy ass splicers

Did you guys see these Gog Sales?

There are only a limited quantity for a low price. 150 copies of Duke Nukem 3d just went up for $1.50.

http://www.gog.com/

G0qvonA.png

....did gog.com just go all 'woot off' on us?

cicero

Burial @ Sea may be short as hell, but damn it's good to be back in Rapture. Such a 'darker' environment than Columbia with crazy ass splicers

....did gog.com just go all 'woot off' on us?

It is a bit draining trying to keep up. I had to run to the bathroom and back and I missed a deal.

EDIT: Pun not intended. :(

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
That GOG sale is awesome. I already own almost all the games i'm interested in, but seeing those games sell like crazy and the uncovery of the next title is really exciting.

Like flashdeals on steroids. Great stuff.

Couldn't get Deadly Premonition working today so I played some more Papers Please, what a great game. DP is my favorite this year, but the constant crashing can be a bit overpowering. I bought the game for my brother and he doesn't have any crashes :/

Also bought Fallout Collection, only need Fallout 3 (GOTY) to complete my collection which I never have time to play. yay

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok creative review time:

header_292x136.jpg
VS.
header_292x136.jpg

I beat both these games in the last 30 days. This means that I played through both career modes to completion and did all of the extra races barring the fifteen 24 min repetitions of Le Mans and the shitty final 1v1 race in Grid 1. Codemaster racing games are kinda gaming crack that I like to have available for when I don't have anything else to play. That said, let's see what they did better than each other.

What Grid 1 is better at:
  • The car variety is quite good. You get a really good sense of the power scale when moving from the lower end cars to the super cars.
What Grid 2 is better at:
  • Literally everything else. I'm not kidding.
  • The career mode is vastly superior. It is structured into 6 or so seasons and each season introduces a new scale of car. This does a much better job of allowing the player to get accustomed to the car genre while still having track variety, something that was very difficult in Grid 1 (you either had track variety or cohesive car sets, not both).
  • Location selection is significantly better. Who picks Detroit as a city to race in? Grid 1. Who picks a bunch of exotic and interesting to look at locales to race in? Grid 2.
  • Variety within location. In Grid 1 there is a full track for each location with 1 shorter version and then each of them reversed. Grid 2 does a way better job of making the track variants actually feel different.
  • The driving physics feel ever so slightly tighter than Grid 1's. This is for the better when it comes to super cars that generally kill you when you slip out at a corner.
  • The AI isn't a bag of dicks who make your life hell. I'm not gonna lie, I always set racing game AI to easy because I enjoy the mastery of tracks rather than dealing with a bunch of cunts on the road. I live in Connecticut, I get to deal with that every day. In Grid 2 the AI doesn't constantly fuck you over and waste your precious rewinds the way they do in Grid 1, even on easy.
  • Better event variety. Grid 1 has way too much drift crap. I loved Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift, but it needed more than that. Grid 2 fleshes out Togue in a much superior way with it's track selection and adds a couple much needed event types to mix up the 20 assholes at the starting line experience.

Conclusion

Grid 2 is great. If you like the Codemaster school of arcade realism physics (as seen in Dirt 2/3), definitely check it out. I had a blast and really enjoyed the track line up. Grid 1 is still worth it if you are jonesing for more, but it just lacks the refinement that they packed into Grid 2. It's just a lesser game that is way to content to make you feel the lack of visual and track layout variety.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If y'all are too intimidated by full Greenlight, you should consider browsing collections to try to mine the creme de la creme:

This group is a collection made by Toma's indie games threads with their featured games:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135118619

Here's a collection of some of my favourites:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179798494

You might not 100% agree of course, but you might find it easier to look through 50-60 games that have already gone through a basic sanity check versus going through 1500+ some of which are total nonsense.

Couldn't get Deadly Premonition working today so I played some more Papers Please, what a great game. DP is my favorite this year, but the constant crashing can be a bit overpowering. I bought the game for my brother and he doesn't have any crashes :/

That's a real shame, I played DP for 24 hours and it only crashed 4 times.

Grief.exe

That GOG sale is awesome. I already own almost all the games i'm interested in, but seeing those games sell like crazy and the uncovery of the next title is really exciting.

Like flashdeals on steroids. Great stuff.

I'm really liking the system, unfortunately I did miss out on NWN2 while I was distracted with something else.

Also bought Fallout Collection, only need Fallout 3 (GOTY) to complete my collection which I never have time to play. yay

All of the Fallout games take a long time to beat as well. The first Fallout being the shortest at 15 hours, which I would call a long game at this point.

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/search.php?t=games&s=fallout

I saw that, and they added their own image in Grid View.

If you're crashing at a specific cutscene at the art gallery there's a fix for that. If it's somewhere else maybe I can go past the scene and save just after that. We're all a family here.

maty

If y'all are too intimidated by full Greenlight, you should consider browsing collections to try to mine the creme de la creme:

This group is a collection made by Toma's indie games threads with their featured games:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135118619

Here's a collection of some of my favourites:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179798494

You might not 100% agree of course, but you might find it easier to look through 50-60 games that have already gone through a basic sanity check versus going through 1500+ some of which are total nonsense.

Thanks, I was looking for your list to check if I missed something noteworthy.

Also, do you ever go back to games you voted "no" or do you discard anything you don't like at first glance?

I found myself changing my mind a few times. Mostly with games I was not sure about and voted NO so they wouldn't show up in my queue before the "ask again later" option became available.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The guy's and galls who are able to snatch some of those free games on GOG are promoted to internet ninja's.

Gotta go fast!

If you're crashing at a specific cutscene at the art gallery there's a fix for that. If it's somewhere else maybe I can go past the scene and save just after that. We're all a family here.

It begun in chapter 12 and playing borderless fullscreen worked until I started playing today and absolutely nothing has worked from the usual suspects (now in c14 I think)... restarting (again) might help but Windows has some updates now and I don't have time to play today anymore.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't ever vote 'no' on anything. If its something I really think looks good, I'll vote yes, but otherwise, I don't want to be negative and just move on.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So unfortunately I had to add Re-CAPTCHA to the Enhanced Steam process of submitting DLC categorizations.

Some jerkoff started spamming that form with a bot and I woke up to having over 15,000 emails.

Clawww

Yeah, I've honestly been PC only (aside from a bit of Tekken) for a couple of years now. My commitment was that I didn't want to even consider picking up a new console until 2015 or so, but I expected that I'd have to summon up some willpower to resist. However I'm not finding that willpower is even required in the slightest. Hardware is overpriced and launch games are unimpressive looking all around (though KI does interest me). And at the same time PC gaming continues to throw wonderful games at me for pennies. Not finding it hard to hold firm at all.

I'm most certainly waiting for a hardware revision or two before buying a new system. Anything less seems foolish unless you're a huge console fan. The later models of 360/PS3 were much nicer (although the loss of backwards compatibility with PS3 is kinda sad).

Tellaerin

I don't ever vote 'no' on anything. If its something I really think looks good, I'll vote yes, but otherwise, I don't want to be negative and just move on.

Yeah, I have a hard time voting "no", myself. I see games that I wouldn't play for whatever reason, but objectively, they look good. I know other people would enjoy them. If I vote "no", I'm being honest, but I'm also doing the people who would be interested a disservice. I'm torn on what to do in cases like that.

Grief.exe

I'm most certainly waiting for a hardware revision or two before buying a new system. Anything less seems foolish unless you're a huge console fan. The later models of 360/PS3 were much nicer (although the loss of backwards compatibility with PS3 is kinda sad).

My strategy as well. Wait for the revision where they make some improvements on the inital design.

Can generally also buy in cheaper and with a better library of games to choose from.

I'm also interested in waiting and seeing how that Gaikai stuff works out for the PS4. I've never had a PS3, so I'm much more interested in the PS4 if I could start catching up on stuff like Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us.

FOX_

Neo Member
Ok creative review time:

header_292x136.jpg
VS.
header_292x136.jpg

I beat both these games in the last 30 days. This means that I played through both career modes to completion and did all of the extra races barring the fifteen 24 min repetitions of Le Mans and the shitty final 1v1 race in Grid 1. Codemaster racing games are kinda gaming crack that I like to have available for when I don't have anything else to play. That said, let's see what they did better than each other.

What Grid 1 is better at:
  • The car variety is quite good. You get a really good sense of the power scale when moving from the lower end cars to the super cars.
What Grid 2 is better at:
  • Literally everything else. I'm not kidding.
  • The career mode is vastly superior. It is structured into 6 or so seasons and each season introduces a new scale of car. This does a much better job of allowing the player to get accustomed to the car genre while still having track variety, something that was very difficult in Grid 1 (you either had track variety or cohesive car sets, not both).
  • Location selection is significantly better. Who picks Detroit as a city to race in? Grid 1. Who picks a bunch of exotic and interesting to look at locales to race in? Grid 2.
  • Variety within location. In Grid 1 there is a full track for each location with 1 shorter version and then each of them reversed. Grid 2 does a way better job of making the track variants actually feel different.
  • The driving physics feel ever so slightly tighter than Grid 1's. This is for the better when it comes to super cars that generally kill you when you slip out at a corner.
  • The AI isn't a bag of dicks who make your life hell. I'm not gonna lie, I always set racing game AI to easy because I enjoy the mastery of tracks rather than dealing with a bunch of cunts on the road. I live in Connecticut, I get to deal with that every day. In Grid 2 the AI doesn't constantly fuck you over and waste your precious rewinds the way they do in Grid 1, even on easy.
  • Better event variety. Grid 1 has way too much drift crap. I loved Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift, but it needed more than that. Grid 2 fleshes out Togue in a much superior way with it's track selection and adds a couple much needed event types to mix up the 20 assholes at the starting line experience.

Conclusion

Grid 2 is great. If you like the Codemaster school of arcade realism physics (as seen in Dirt 2/3), definitely check it out. I had a blast and really enjoyed the track line up. Grid 1 is still worth it if you are jonesing for more, but it just lacks the refinement that they packed into Grid 2. It's just a lesser game that is way to content to make you feel the lack of visual and track layout variety.

Definitely on my radar now. Thanks for the impressions!

Maxwood

They allude to it in their twitters. But nothing yet currently.
Deadly Premonition without a big load of technical issues isn't Deadly Premonition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom