• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Just for posterity, the games from my earlier raffle that didn't get claimed were put into the free to a good home thread.

I just saw, someone claim FEAR 2 after the fact, I didn't realise the entries were still open, sorry =/

Clawww

Just for posterity, the games from my earlier raffle that didn't get claimed were put into the free to a good home thread.

I just saw, someone claim FEAR 2 after the fact, I didn't realise the entries were still open, sorry =/

the weekly no-win rule is tight in this thread with all the giveaways, haha

Replaying Fallout 3 right now, and yes, it's still fantastic.

I really see where all the comments about the writing are coming from now, though. Having aged a few years really shows the weird writing sometimes. Can't beat that exploration though.

This countdown may not be real, but I sure as hell hope Fallout 4 gets announced at the VGA's.

the biggest MOBA in the world is free to play.

The biggest MOBA on Steam is free to play.

Why would I buy Guardians of Middle Earth? Because it has a LOTR license slapped on top of it?

The reason that I'm interested is that it looks simpler, quicker, and looks like it was designed to be played with a gamepad. Since my PC is hooked up to my TV, and because I don't really have the time to dig into a deeper MOBA that seems like a pretty cool combo, but obviously not something that most MOBA players are looking for.

denx

Man I was so bored by Fallout 3. The world felt lifeless and dull, there weren't interesting quests, and the combat and shooting was GODAWFUL. Ramming forks into your eyes would had been more pleasant than trying to use guns in this game.

So yeah, I played like 10 hours of FO3 and that was it. Any chance I'll like New Vegas if I didn't like 3?

Fall of Cybertron? I'm about to finish War for Cybertron and other than the grey repetitive enviroments, I've enjoyed it a lot. Come on Activision 75% discount in Autumn sale please?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So yeah, I played like 10 hours of FO3 and that was it. Any chance I'll like New Vegas if I didn't like 3?

New Vegas is a proper Fallout game and is everything Fallout 3 isn't. I fucking abhor Fallout 3 and consider New Vegas as one of the best RPG's in the past decade or so.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Fall of Cybertron? I'm about to finish War for Cybertron and other than the grey repetitive enviroments, I've enjoyed it a lot. Come on Activision 75% discount in Autumn sale please?

Because you asked nicely, maybe it'll go on sale for $30 or something.

I still can't believe I snagged it for $11. Finding an Activision game on sale for less than $15 is like finding a dodo bird riding a unicorn.

Man I was so bored by Fallout 3. The world felt lifeless and dull, there weren't interesting quests, and the combat and shooting was GODAWFUL. Ramming forks into your eyes would had been more pleasant than trying to use guns in this game.

You might find it similarly unappealing in some ways, but I think New Vegas is worthwhile to try regardless of your feelings on 3. Built upon the same framework but by people who actually know how to create an RPG, all the systems were tweaked. They even make the realtime shooting combat somewhat useful. It's one of my favourite RPGs of the last few years without a doubt.

For what it's worth I hadn't played a Fallout prior to 3, so I had none of the series baggage weighing me down, I enjoyed it for what it was. After New Vegas it just made Bethesda's attempt seem so remarkably mediocre that it's hard to look back at 3 positively, and after Skyrim it's hard to even think they'll suddenly change their approach for 4.

Chronoja

I just read things like this and weep for everyone who tried to play these games like first person shooters. It wasn't a shooter, it was an RPG with guns, you could shoot somewhat effectively with higher weapon skills but at it's core that was not what it was about. People say VATS got boring, I never experienced that, the only problem with VATS is that it rarely expanded the tactical gameplay of it since many encounters boiled down to "shoot the head, win" and failing that "cripple the legs so the enemy can't run you down"

Caerith

Thanks. I guess this means I should get back to New Vegas. I enjoyed the time I spent with it, but I got myself frustrated with mods. I want it to look like some of the awesome screenshots I see posted here, but I just can't manage it.
The only mod I used was MMUE (which is just a bugfix/completion mod) and I thought it looked great, given the limitations of its engine. I screenshotted the hell out of that game, too.

I want to make another playthrough (as a gunslinger with Logan's Loophole, Wild Wasteland, the talking stealth suit, and a shit-ton of drugs on hardcore) but am holding off on it until I get my backlog under 100 games.

New Vegas improves on most of your complaints. Except the shooting, that itself is still more or less the same. The improvements on shooting are more on the RPG aspect of the weapons, as opposed to the actual shooting mechanics.

New Vegas is fucking amazing though. The sort of road story that you make for yourself as your go around the highway to Vegas is so great.

Storm360

I keep getting "General Protection Fault" around Scarecrow on Batman Arkham Aslyum - Pretty annoying, getting close to just downloading another save file thats past this section

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm amazed people fall for domain stuff these days. You can fake registrar information. You can fake nameservers if the domain doesn't resolve or if everything going to an IP resolves to the domain. You can't fake nameservers if it resolves to a separate site hosted by the company.

The best thing you can do to verify a domain is:
- Was it registered by the same registrar with the exact same information (if it's a private registration, does the private contact email exactly match) as other domains from the company
- Is it using the same format of nameserver as other domains from the company
- Is it hosted in geographically the right area

Caerith

New Vegas improves on most of your complaints. Except the shooting, that itself is still more or less the same. The improvements on shooting are more on the RPG aspect of the weapons, as opposed to the actual shooting mechanics.

New Vegas is fucking amazing though. The sort of road story that you make for yourself as your go around the highway to Vegas is so great.
Isn't FO3 pretty reliant on VATS? In New Vegas, VATS is pretty completely optional (I only used it to trigger Unlabored Flawlessness).

I keep getting "General Protection Fault" around Scarecrow on Batman Arkham Aslyum - Pretty annoying, getting close to just downloading another save file thats past this section
Um. Spoiler about that section, but at some point
the game fakes a crash
. Are you actually crashing?

denx

I just read things like this and weep for everyone who tried to play these games like first person shooters. It wasn't a shooter, it was an RPG with guns, you could shoot somewhat effectively with higher weapon skills but at it's core that was not what it was about. People say VATS got boring, I never experienced that, the only problem with VATS is that it rarely expanded the tactical gameplay of it since many encounters boiled down to "shoot the head, win" and failing that "cripple the legs so the enemy can't run you down"

Well that's the thing. Shooting was bad so I tried VATS and that bored me as well. I could had let pass the lack of any kind of worthwhile combat if the world, characters and quests were interesting but they weren't either. It was just such a big disappointment overall. :(

New Vegas is a proper Fallout game and is everything Fallout 3 isn't. I fucking abhor Fallout 3 and consider New Vegas as one of the best RPG's in the past decade or so.

Sounds good. I bought FO3 and New Vegas in Halloween just to have the complete FO collection on Steam. :p Looks like I'll be dipping my toes in this after I finish War for Cybertron and Arkham City.

Because you asked nicely, maybe it'll go on sale for $30 or something.

I still can't believe I snagged it for $11. Finding an Activision game on sale for less than $15 is like finding a dodo bird riding a unicorn.

I think there are more chances that Half-Life 3 will release before Activision reduces the base price of Fall of Cybertron and the last couple of COD's. :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well that's the thing. Shooting was bad so I tried VATS and that bored me as well. I could had let pass the lack of any kind of worthwhile combat if the world, characters and quests were interesting but they weren't either. It was just such a big disappointment overall. :(

Well New Vegas doesn't have scaling enemies and has no problems killing your ass dead. This alone makes the combat more interesting then FO3 as death is an actual possibility.

I'm amazed people fall for domain stuff these days. You can fake registrar information. You can fake nameservers if the domain doesn't resolve or if everything going to an IP resolves to the domain. You can't fake nameservers if it resolves to a separate site hosted by the company.

The best thing you can do to verify a domain is:
- Was it registered by the same registrar with the exact same information (if it's a private registration, does the private contact email exactly match) as other domains from the company
- Is it using the same format of nameserver as other domains from the company
- Is it hosted in geographically the right area

We're just lucky to have someone like you who actually knows this stuff.

That, and hype is one hell of a drug.

Well New Vegas doesn't have scaling enemies and has no problems killing your ass dead. This alone makes the combat more interesting them FO3 as death is an actual possibility.

I ran into a Deathclaw on the Super-Duper Mart parking lot last week, when I was level 3 or something. A few Super Mutant Brutes ambushed me in the Wasteland as well. I installed a few mods for Fallout 3, but I don't remember installing one that got rid of level scaling. Whatever caused it, it was scary as fuck.

Clawww

As much as I don't want, because I absolutely could not get into Fallout 3--I might check out New Vegas sometime based on this post.

Derrick01

Banned

New Vegas is 100 times the RPG and game that F3 was but your first complaint isn't going to be fixed much. There's a lot of desert and empty spots in New Vegas' map because they only had a year to make the game but play it and you'll be shocked at how much is in the game and how deep the writing and quests can be. They did more in a year than Bethesda was capable of doing in 3 (or however long it took them to make F3).

Storm360

Hm. Restart Steam in offline mode and try again, see if it changes anything.

Trying that now

Since I'm frustrated.

Disclaimer : Code may not work - Thanks Cth
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Snuggle Truck -- MB-0E932463413ED892 - Taken by Motorbreath

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
It says Skullgirls has a free weekend but I don't see the option to download it on its page

MRORANGE

When someone mentions a game they hope for Steam, I have to double check the SteamDB to make sure it's a port-beg or it is actually happening.

:(

I would have figured Namco would have ported that over since they have been porting some other obscure titles lately.
Namco is being really weird with what they are and aren't porting. I'm honestly surprised they haven't done one of the dozens of Gundam games they've made.

Slyjss

Steam has left me a message in the Market tab saying that if I sell more than 200 items (154 as of now) I need to input some personal. Has anyone else recieved it? If so, what are the implications if I am not a US citizen and which data would they ask for? I had never heard of this...

sprinkles

turns out the best game of thrones game is actually long live the queen
Yeah the level of intrigue and violence even towards your own relatives is quite something. Really jars with the cute looks of the game, but in a good way. I finally managed to min/max my royal moods enough to survive the final weeks, felt awesome. Now to get back and die in the ways I somehow missed until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom