• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I have windows 8 downloaded from my college's website, don't know if I should install it.

It depends on what you want from the OS, if you are anything like me and demand from OS: functionality, efficiency, competent multitasking, simplicity and choices, don't touch it. In my eyes it's an abomination, not OS.

Also, it does not work with some games, but this is nothing new.

Jawmuncher

It depends on what you want from the OS, if you are anything like me and demand from OS: functionality, efficiency, competent multitasking, simplicity and choices, don't touch it. In my eyes it's an abomination, not OS.

I have Windows 8 on my current laptop and hate it.
I stay i desktop mode but the shit part of the OS always trys to creep through.

Wait, wasn't Win 8 more efficient and less bloated?

jediyoshi

Counter point, here's how my windows 8 looks like when I boot up

wU0TKMm.jpg

Granted, it's not a stock start, but there's about a million~ programs that'd do it for you at this point. So if you're into functionality, efficiency, competent multitasking, simplicity, choices, and faster boot times, you're golden.

Copons

So... what should you demand to need Win8? A single tasking unefficient overpriced machine for mine sweeper?

Anteater

I like win 8 but a windows update killed my installation and I couldn't get the boot cd to recover anything so I deleted all my partitions and never went back :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RUSE and its DLC are 75% off over at GamersGate for the weekend. The lot can be picked up for $4.

Also, last night I dreamt that WB responded to my e-mail and offered me a key for the Warner Brothers Comp sub, so in addition to Arkham Asylum vanilla (which, oddly, isn't actually included) I also received the original release of Gotham City Imposters (it's F2P these days, hence my desire to pick up Guardians of Middle-earth sooner rather than later), Terminator Salvation and Wanted: Weapons of Fate, all three of which are no longer offered.

Oh, it's JaseC... carry on.

tumblr_mkh1uzuq8h1r2s5sjtf.gif

milenko79

Neo Member
I've been running vindows 8 (8.1 now) for a few months and have to say I really like it. Sure I use classic shell to get back my start menu (all other classic shell options are not installed). After that it is a better, faster, more modern os with lots of legacy shit ripped out.
It has lots of little features packed in you don't need third party apps for anymore, management features such as the task manager or more robust and I actually like the metro UI for use on my Tv (I game in big picture mode on my tv).

And yeah, I used to hate windows 8 at first too, but after just trying it I really don't see any problem (apart from the missing start button, but that is a 2 minute fix).

I'm an It admin In a company with thousands of pc's, so I know how windows works, and I really think windows 8 is better than 7 when you get used to it.

Arthea

Counter point, here's how my windows 8 looks like when I boot up

some.pic
Granted, it's not a stock start, but there's about a million~ programs that'd do it for you at this point. So if you're into functionality, efficiency, competent multitasking, simplicity, choices, and faster boot times, you're golden.

I'm glad you like it, more power to you, because most likely that's what we'll get more in the future and not what I like. The only thing true in your statement is faster boot times. When for closing an app, you have to move your mouse to top of the screen, hold it and drag it down to glorious length of 32" screen for it to close and it works only in full screen mode while you have no say about it, it's called abomination, not efficiency, for me that is. And that's only one example of many.
But it's not really a place, I just wanted less people to be infuriated by it, it's safer for life on Earth, you know. (><)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I've been running vindows 8 (8.1 now) for a few months and have to say I really like it. Sure is use classic shell to get back my start menu (all other classic shell options are not installed). After that it is a better, faster, more modern os with lots of legacy shit ripped out.
It has lots of little features packed in you don't need third party apps for anymore, management features such as the task manager or more robust and I actually like the metro UI for use on my Tv (I game in big picture mode on my tv).

And Yeah, I used to hate windows 8 at first too, but after just trying it I really don't see any problem (aprat from the missing start butto, but that is a 2 minute fix).

I'm an It admin In a company with thousands of pc, so I Know how windows works, and I really think windows 8 is better than 7 when you get used to it.

This guy understands.

The "I've always wanted Lucius and $1 is a great price..hang on I already own it? dang" bundle.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Lucius -- MB-4C6798C381396524 - Taken by sapsari

In the other groupees bundle, picked up Zigfrak, Mr Bree+ and Man in the maze. Mitm in particular looks like it could be quite fun. I'll try them out tonight and post some impressions.

Acccent

I use Win 8 without any kind of classic shell modification and I love it. Once you learn how to use the Start Screen, it's amazingly better than the Start Menu. Obviously MS, once again, fucked up their communication about the OS and people seem to believe that you have to use Modern apps on a regular basis, which leads to comments like Arthea's , but the truth is you spend 99.9% of your time on the desktop and the Apps are like the gadgets in Vista but better implemented, just quick, simple applications to get some info quicker than by loading a website (I use them for the weather and cinema times). If you add OblyTile to make the Start Screen look better it's perfect.

Copons

What about Lucius?
I don't know anything about it and seeing that people don't pick it immediately in giveaways made me think of entering one, but I wouldn't want to steal a key of a game I couldn't be interested in. :0

What about Lucius?
I don't know anything about it and seeing that people don't pick it immediately in giveaways made me think of entering one, but I wouldn't want to steal a key of a game I couldn't be interested in. :0

You walk around as a little kid and murder people. Really, this is the game as you do some light puzzling to make people die through "accidents".

Lots of good ideas, sort of clunky and restrictive execution. Certainly well worth a $1 and certainly worth a modbot win.

Freezard

My friend wanted me to fix her slow laptop that had Windows 8 installed and it was the first time I used win 8. I was completely lost the moment Metro appeared and I went into bling or something to try to bring up the web browser and google, didn't take me long until I installed Classic Shell that removes that screen and brings back all the old stuff. So yeah, I think the main problem is that I don't want to learn a completely new OS again when I've used the same type of OS since Windows 95, people want familiarity, I think this goes for most others as well that don't like win 8.

Copons

You walk around as a little kid and murder people. Really, this is the game as you do some light puzzling to make people die through "accidents".

Lots of good ideas, sort of clunky and restrictive execution. Certainly well worth a $1 and certainly worth a modbot win.

Seems an interesting idea, but still not sold on it. Good thing another guy entered the giveaway and took the key away from me. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For future reference, Sega has added a handful of region-locked BR subs for the Sonic racing games and Sonic Adventure DX to the registry, so if you see any of them on sale over at Nuuvem or another BR-based store, avoid.

Hasney

I use Win 8 without any kind of classic shell modification and I love it. Once you learn how to use the Start Screen, it's amazingly better than the Start Menu. Obviously MS, once again, fucked up their communication about the OS and people seem to believe that you have to use Modern apps on a regular basis, which leads to comments like Arthea's , but the truth is you spend 99.9% of your time on the desktop and the Apps are like the gadgets in Vista but better implemented, just quick, simple applications to get some info quicker than by loading a website (I use them for the weather and cinema times). If you add OblyTile to make the Start Screen look better it's perfect.

Nah, 100% despise the start screen. It's great for a touch interface, but I want a non-intrusive way of launching programs. Have Netflix in a window while I poke around looking for something that I need to run and keep watching. Not some colourful monstrosity eating up my entire screen for no good reason.

Besides, I have Steam and Chrome on the quick launch. There's barely anything else I need to use regularly.

Arthea

So skype is an useless gadget now? Well, in fact it is in win8 (><)
You know, I lived through DOS, Win 3, 3.11, 95, 98, NT/2000, XT, 7, MAC OS-es from 3 through 9, some Unixes, NextSteps and Linuxes and I never felt literally offended by OS before 8. So, let's stop pretending it's my personal problem. It's not. People prefer different things, and usually have reasons behind it. And win8 is far from perfect. I understand that most bugs will be fixed in time but even discarding that, win 8 isn't anything I would choose again.

Copons

You know, I lived through DOS, Win 3, 3.11, 95, 98, NT/2000, XT, 7, MAC OS-es from 3 through 9, some Unixes, NextSteps and Linuxes and I never felt literally offended by OS before 8

Don't see Win ME (or Vista!) there, so it's understandable. :D

Acccent

So skype is an useless gadget now? Well, in fact it is in win8 (><)
You know, I lived through DOS, Win 3, 3.11, 95, 98, NT/2000, XT, 7, MAC OS-es from 3 through 9, some Unixes, NextSteps and Linuxes and I never felt literally offended by OS before 8. So, let's stop pretending it's my personal problem. It's not. People prefer different things, and usually have reasons behind it. And win8 is far from perfect. I understand that most bugs will be fixed in time but even discarding that, win 8 isn't anything I would choose again.

Skype is a desktop app though. If you kept using the modern version, no wonder you're pissed, because it's indeed a worthless pile of garbage.

I'm not saying it's your personal problem, I'm saying it's an OS that requires some effort to adapt to and only then it has the potential to become great; that's a fault with the OS, not the users.

Hasney

Don't see Win ME (or Vista!) there, so it's understandable. :D

My dad downloaded a pirate copy of ME back in the day. We thought all the crashes were because it was a dodgy copy, so he forked out the cash to buy it.

Oh how wrong he was. I can still see the look of horror reflected from the blue in the monitor as it bluescreened for the 248723489th time that day. Hold me SteamGAF... I'm having PTSD again.

Copons

My dad downloaded a pirate copy of ME back in the day. We thought all the crashes were because it was a dodgy copy, so he forked out the cash to buy it.

Oh how wrong he was. I can still see the look of horror reflected from the blue in the monitor as it bluescreened for the 248723489th time that day. Hold me SteamGAF... I'm having PTSD again.

Ahaha, I remember I actually FORCED my father to buy ME and the guys at the computer store to install it on the computer I was building back then, just because my PC-smarter cousin told me Win2000 was the best and I got confused with the "2000" and "millenium". :D
Computer store guys was seriously baffled with my extreme need for WinME, they tried for lots of times to convince me to install 2000 but eventually they let it go. :(

Copons

Vista was fine after SP1, though Win7 rendered it redundant.

I dunno. I only used Vista (vanilla I think) for work and I remember losing huge amounts of code (like 2-3 days of work) for some kind of OS bitching. Hated so much back then, that they may have fixed everything making it the best OS ever, but I'd still hate it no matter what.

Hasney

Just thought I'd have a look at our webstats platforms at work. Out of >27million views so far this month, 17 of them are people using Windows ME.

I want to track down every IP address and go give them a hug along with a Windows XP key.

Hasney

I will argue for hours over how bad of an idea it is to force fullscreen for anything on a desktop PC. Other than that admittedly major issue, Windows 8 is an improvement over 7 in many ways.

With 8.1 allowing you to boot without ever seeing Metro, and the greatly improved search feature now usable without blasting into fullscreen, I've pretty much run out of complaints. Well, except for the usual stuff with Microsoft and Windows, but that's not really the conversation around Windows 8 and why it specifically is apparently so terrible.

Yup, now Netflix is not forcing me to use the Metro app instead of the website, Start8 makes every complaint I had go away.

Only Metro app I now use is the Twitter one and I dock it to the right of the screen so it's always there, but full screen video/games ignore it so it's a fantastic little addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom