• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
From the Amazon thread:

Other Steam-redeemable deals, discounted as part of the Halloween Sale (not sure when it ends):

- Clive Barker's Jericho (70% off; $1.49)
- Damnation (70% off; $2.99)
- How to Survive (30% off; $10.49)
- Overlord (70% off; $1.49)
- Overlord: Raising Hell (70% off; $2.99)
- Overlord 2 (as above)

Also, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines will be 75% off ($4.99) for one day only come the 30th.
----------
Is it legit?

I've not used it myself, but yes. It's also free.

Arthea

I will argue for hours over how bad of an idea it is to force fullscreen for anything on a desktop PC. Other than that admittedly major issue, Windows 8 is an improvement over 7 in many ways.

With 8.1 allowing you to boot without ever seeing Metro, and the greatly improved search feature now usable without blasting into fullscreen, I've pretty much run out of complaints. Well, except for the usual stuff with Microsoft and Windows, but that's not really the conversation around Windows 8 and why it specifically is apparently so terrible.

you just sold me on 8.1. I was waiting for more issues to occur and be fixed, but I'll probably just install it and we'll see. I have second PC with win7, if anything (><)

Having recently installed 8 I can't understand the more hyperbolic reactions to it. It's so easy to ignore metro and bring back regular start that its existence shouldn't be a factor in your purchasing decision. It's just a more responsive, better looking Win7 to me.
wait till your mouse dies while using it, you might change your views on hyperbole entirely!

Honey Bunny

Having recently installed 8 I can't understand the more hyperbolic reactions to it. It's so easy to ignore metro and bring back regular start that its existence shouldn't be a factor in your purchasing decision. It's just a more responsive, better looking Win7 to me.

Hasney

I do that with Twitter and a Google Music app. It's actually useful for a large screen to snap that way and have it hold that space without windows nudging over it.

Oh, they have a Google Music app too? Permanent music widget here I come, thanks for the heads up!

Hasney

Since I love the game so and it's on sale, thought I'd grab a key for you peeps.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Overlord II -- MB-5EFCB1563C1C7CF4 - Taken by Motorbreath. 13 entrants total.

t1382616279z1.png

kafiend

Don't get killed in the rush.

ModBot said:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

ulgzbKC.png
Survivor Squad (Desura) -- MB-B9AFEF16C96A2E60 - Taken by tylergregg
ulgzbKC.png
Undead Legions (Desura) -- MB-2CAC96440C4C687A - Taken by Milamber
Lucius -- MB-22014A50A1C13AFE - Taken by didamangi

JaseC

SaoirseHighFive.gif

<3

Damnation was the worst game I've play this gen. It's the definition of awful.

Its discounted price creates an equilibrium, I'd say. ;)

GAF!

where are my booster packs? For more than one month I've been getting only coupons!

Boosters have never been a crafting reward -- they show up in your inventory randomly.

Edit: Unless you're referring to the coupon handouts as of late (Foul Play, Train Sim DLC, Shadow Warrior, and so on), in which case, carry on. ;)

Edit edit: Demonicon can now be "pre-loaded". 6GB download.

I was using my soccer themed mousepad to run a speed test in windows 8 and thought I'd take a break to try out some of the games in the new groupees greenlight bundle. People often ask for impressions, so here you go. Sorry if this is a bit long or something:

First, for those who don't know, Groupees are back with a new bundle of games that might one day be on steam. Not only that, but it supports the charity cause of "water", which seems like a splendid idea.

http://groupees.com/bagb4

Mr Bree+ (DRM free download + Greenlight. Desura keys to follow)

First the bad. The game crashed for me...a lot. Start the game? Crash. Change an option? Crash. Try to recover from a crash? You better believe that will be a crash.

But eventually flash got its act together and I got into the game proper to try it out. It is a strange package. At first, I thought I was in for a cute platformer. But the cartoon like intro suggests something a lot darker and then the blood starts flowing from spikes and saws. It adds up to an unusual presentation, but a pleasing and somewhat unique one that would be excellent with more technical polish.

The game itself is your standard super meat boy/boshy type of adventure which is no bad thing. To mix things up, the game offers large scrolling environments and a metroidvania type power up system where you can earn abilities like a crouch or extra jump to let you collect the extras in previous levels. It is simple fun with the levels being challenging, whilst providing enough respawn points to keep things fair.

Perhaps to try and be slightly original, an interesting feature is that the levels change in appearance after a certain number of deaths:

For example one level took on a darker blood like filter, in another it started raining. Nothing earth shattering, but these sort of things add up to result in a game that is a lot better than you would expect and makes it a highly recommended pickup for a future steam key and greenlight vote.

Man in a Maze (Desura key, Greenlight vote)

Stability wasn't a problem this time and I was able to get into the game straight away. Whereas Bree+ is deceptively creepy, this game is openly creepy with the game show "smash tv" type presentation being combined with your ever smiling protagonist.

In this game you enter a one screen room and have to clear it of gems pacman style. Once this is done, you move onto the next room which introduces elements like robots that shoot, a ball you can throw and power up and other similar challenges. After each level you win a prize, which might be something like a set of steak knives that does absolutely nothing.

Does it have that long term addictive hook or challenge? It appears not. The direction to "swipe down" on the wheel mini-game is rather jarring too. It does seem suited to the tablet platforms (you'll recognise some common ui elements), but they could hide that a bit better. However those concerns aside, there is enough game here at a high enough quality to give it a look in case it ever really delivers.

ZigFrak (Desura and Greenlight)

The first thing the game does is nags you to register. Is this 2003 or something? Don't do that, especially if you are an indie dev. Once past this step (thankfully it requires a key and no email, you are into space).

What we have here is a real mixture of the good (the decent graphics) the bad (the menu system) and the ugly (the menu system gets another run). Everything makes sense once you work out what button does what, but actually reaching that point is an exercise in randomly scrolling your mouse through menus, clicking on different parts of the screen and hoping something will let you progress.

It is a shame that everything isn't spelled out clearly, because what is here works just fine. Your craft controls smoothly, targeting makes sense and the game seems to be making pains to simplify steps like docking (target something and press enter, easy!).

What this means is potentially there is some fun to be had in space, but you'll need to be prepared to put some work into it. Will you bother with Star Citizen and X Rebirth just around the corner (well maybe a big corner for star citizen), probably not. But one more space game on your steam profile, maybe, isn't a bad thing if you must spend some cash.

Lain

Did you check the steam forums for the game? Looking in there I found various fixes including disabling friends list while playing (logging out) and another guy who said starting the game while in offline mode fixed the problem.

Someone else specifically said to use XP service pack 3 mode if you havent tried that already.

Yep, looked there and tried to set the compatibility to xp sp3, but nothing. Even starting in offline mode doesn't change anything, the game keeps randomly crashing, especially when hitting or reloading a checkpoint.
It's becoming highly frustrating.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
FEAR 1/2 worth playing through GAF?

GOG has them on sale for dirt cheap.
Yes.

I've always wanted to play FEAR, but every time I feel like buying it I remember it has jump scares. Are they pretty bad? I'm super jumpy and easily scared when it comes to that stuff.
There are only a few jump scares, most of the time the games rely on psychological horror to make you feel uneasy and anxious.

I seem to have an extra code for this, courtesy of Groupees. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been used. Good luck and have fun!

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

header_292x136.jpg

The 39 Steps -- MB-434036D92BCB091F - Taken by XShagrath. 11 entrants total.

t1382620959z1.png

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That 400 Days discount is looking very tempting, but I'm in the UK. Is it likely to get a similar discount on Steam? Although I think I have a US Amazon account, do I just need to put in a US address to be able to download stuff?

JaseC

That 400 Days discount is looking very tempting, but I'm in the UK. Is it likely to get a similar discount on Steam? Although I think I have a US Amazon account, do I just need to put in a US address to be able to download stuff?

Yes. I just use the address of Google's CA-based HQ (no sales tax on digital goods).

Hasney

Yeah, it doesn't have to match your card or anything. Just make sure you're in a state without sales tax. Find a business in Idaho and use their address.

JaseC

Since the KF event started last night, expect an Halloween sale starting today-ay-ay-ay.

Historically it's begun in the last week of the month and next week in lieu of/in addition to Weekend Deals would be perfect for me, so I'm hoping for that. ;)

The_Monk

Today is very rainy in here and dark, it's still morning but it feels like the night has come, yet, no weather will bring my morale down, I'm keeping it positive all the way and will try to be productive and optimistic!

If you are looking for GAF impressions, here is slasherjpc's review of How to Survive.

Thank you for this, he's a good GAFfer, he also had some nice impressions from Knock Knock but he ended up getting in the same ending of the game as I did but with a different type of "something" above the house. Really interesting.

Dr Dogg

Well that was the shortest day of 'work' ever. Now to spend the next 6 hours staring at the store page for updates.

Yes. I just use the address of Google's CA-based HQ (no sales tax on digital goods).

Some petrol station in Alaska is my preferred choice. Though I buy physical stuff from amazon.com quite a bit and have cocked up the delivery address a few times. Thankfully I've caught my error before someone becomes the benefactor of my useless but expensive tat.

Freezard

Really? Wish I'd known that at the time. From what I remember it insisted I use it. Not that it matters as I won't be using them again.

Yeah it takes a while to find the keys to be honest. Every time I buy Steam keys from Amazon I have to click around a good while to find them. But yeah, should be in My Game Library somewhere.

Hasney

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk have got a Trackmania weekend going on. Can't direct link because they always fuck up on this site.

Trackmania 2 Stadium - £4
Trackmania 2 Valley - £8
Trackmania 2 Canyon - £8

It also has non-Steam versions of United and United Forever.

If I was to grab one of the 2's, does it really matter which one I get?

Hows it going down folks? Just realised I haven't posted in here in ages. Been on a huge comics kick lately, catching up on all sorts, pretty much only been replaying Arkham City in anticipation of Origins.

Which leads me tooo my question: Valve ever taken issues with people VPN'ing to unlock a pre-purchase early? Saw someone mention in the Arkham thread that the game is unlocking in Japan in 2 hours. Note, I already have it purchased and preloaded, so not talking about when Valve mind you buying from other areas of the world. Just purely unlocking the game.

Game goes live at 12am tonight here and I will have to be in beeed by then if I want to be a good parental figure, get the kid to primary school tomorrow etc. :(

Hasney

Hows it going down folks? Just realised I haven't posted in here in ages. Been on a huge comics kick lately, catching up on all sorts, pretty much only been replaying Arkham City in anticipation of Origins.

Which leads me tooo my question: Valve ever taken issues with people VPN'ing to unlock a pre-purchase early? Saw someone mention in the Arkham thread that the game is unlocking in Japan in 2 hours. Note, I already have it purchased and preloaded, so not talking about when Valve mind you buying from other areas of the world. Just purely unlocking the game.

Game goes live at 12am tonight here and I will have to be in beeed by then if I want to be a good parental figure, get the kid to primary school tomorrow etc. :(

I do it all the time and I've been fine, but don't take that as a gospel truth.

I think they only really crack down on VPN stuff when it's to get around pricing. Things like using Russian-only keys and activating them via VPN, but even then, tales of that are rare.

Milamber

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk have got a Trackmania weekend going on. Can't direct link because they always fuck up on this site.

Trackmania 2 Valley - £8
Trackmania 2 Canyon - £8

I won't buy these. If I did, I'd just download PF tracks and watch the pretties fly by.

JaseC

There are no known reports of Valve cracking down on VPN usage for reasons other than skirting region-specific pricing.

Edit: I'm in for Trackmania 2 Valley if someone wants to host a three/five-pack (6.66 pounds/6.4 pounds per head, respectively).

Arthea

Tomb Rider is -75% on gmg.
I still can't see 20% voucher, only 25% on selected titles same as last week. Is it some regional thing now? Or am I blind?

mrgone

Trackmania 2 Valley - £8
Trackmania 2 Canyon - £8

Jeff Gerstmann mentioned during the latest Bombcast that there's almost no one playing Trackmania 2 anymore. I think Canyon's the one that was first released? Apparently there were like 30 people playing that worldwide when he checked, and just a handful of people in the other newer environments. Might be worth digging into a little deeper before putting cash into a potentially dead game

JaseC

The Be Mine 8 Eleusis Steam key has appeared in my account.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Tomb Rider is -75% on gmg.
I still can't see 20% voucher, only 25% on selected titles same as last week. Is it some regional thing now? Or am I blind?

Due to the Halloween Sale there's no general-use discount code, just a -20% code (GMG20-IWGQX-41IS1), which works on the titles discounted as part of said sale, and the -25% code you mention (GMG25-GRV7N-YY833), which can be applied to pre-orders.

I do it all the time and I've been fine, but don't take that as a gospel truth.

I think they only really crack down on VPN stuff when it's to get around pricing. Things like using Russian-only keys and activating them via VPN, but even then, tales of that are rare.

There are no known reports of Valve cracking down on VPN usage for reasons other than skirting region-specific pricing.

Thanks guys any word on what the best program thingy is to use or is that something I should go find myself/better undiscussed haha?

Yeah it takes a while to find the keys to be honest. Every time I buy Steam keys from Amazon I have to click around a good while to find them. But yeah, should be in My Game Library somewhere.

Thanks. Part of my difficulty no doubt was due to me being a complete noob to pc gaming when I made that purchase. My recollection of it tells me that they were pushing the client angle very heavily so you have essentially backed that up. I try not to use Amazon anymore anyway for a host of reasons but that's my decision and other's mileage will of course vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom