• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

Is there anything preventing DD services on the PC to implement the 'play as you download' features of the PS4\XB1?

Nope. There have actually been a couple of them already.

Awomo does it.

There was another service that I downloaded a demo of, I think, a LEGO game a few years ago and started playing while it was still downloading. I don't remember if that was a store or a company who was just showing off a proof of concept with demos.

gabbo

I want to know if the bajillion EA deals over the past 6-odd months are because the company wants to get a sense of how much money it's leaving on the table by petulantly ignoring Steam or if it's just giving people plenty of opportunities to pick up its Steam catalogue before it too is yanked.

They're trying to devalue their brands obviously, and then reboot them once all grievous harm has been done.

Tizoc

lol
XUydWrN.png

L5L6f29.png

Hasney

Think Steam is still having a couple of odd issues. Tried redeeming my Arkham Origins key and it took me to the success screen, but without the game listed on that screen.

Pressed finish and no Arkham Origins in my library. Tried redeeming again and it said I already owned that product. Was going to go raise a support ticket, but 10 minutes later I had a message saying it can't be unlocked yet but it appeared in my library at least.

Oh well, GOT ACE ATTORNEY DON'T CARE <<<<3333

Think Steam is still having a couple of odd issues. Tried redeeming my Arkham Origins key and it took me to the success screen, but without the game listed on that screen.

Pressed finish and no Arkham Origins in my library. Tried redeeming again and it said I already owned that product. Was going to go raise a support ticket, but 10 minutes later I had a message saying it can't be unlocked yet but it appeared in my library at least.

Oh well, GOT ACE ATTORNEY DON'T CARE <<<<3333

Normally just restarting Steam fixes such issues.

Is there anything preventing DD services on the PC to implement the 'play as you download' features of the PS4\XB1?

Already implemented brah.. in 2005 :p

http://dukenukem.typepad.com/game_matters/2005/06/digital_distrib.html

I was interviewed last week by Paul Hyman of The Hollywood Reporter, for his weekly column appearing today, delving into the oncoming wave that is digital content distribution, a la Steam, and new contender on the block, Game xStream.

There's a lot of resistance to digital distribution because of the way Valve handled it with Half-Life 2, which even today continues to annoy more than its fair share of paying customers. Definitely, there are kinks to be worked out, but rather than condemn digital distribution based on Steam alone, I think it has a bright future. And if anything, it may be one of the most promising ways for independent developers to bootstrap themselves, and bypass the entire publisher/retailer model, which is closed to most indies.

I have a strong belief that digital distribution is about to catch on like Jar-Jar bashing. Or, more seriously, like CDs did after Myst hit the scene in the early 90's.

Sure, we all hate only authentication, but that's not an inherent feature of online distribution. Online distribution, at it's core, is merely a way to buy a game without having to go to a store. That's it. Steam has given everyone the impression that it also means an online tether used as copy protection. But that's something else entirely, and has unfortunately given online distribution a bad name.

3D Realms choose to work with Game xStream because their service is not only highly flexible, meaning that a whole list of features can be either used or not, but because it allows what in my opinion is the most important feature of all, and one that Steam does not support: A player can buy a game, and within minutes start playing it, without needing to download the entire game. For example, I can start downloading the Doom 3 demo -- one of the most content intense games currently available -- and within six minutes I'm playing it as if I have the full game, racing like a madman through the opening level, while the game continues to download itself in the background. (You can not catch up to where new content isn't available.)

This single feature makes digital distribution truly viable for the mass gamer market, because it satisfies the desire to play the game right away (or nearly so). Without this single feature, you'd need to wait an hour to many hours to begin playing, and that sours the impulse desire of buying and playing right away.

I've been on record for saying that I didn't think digital distribution would ever catch on for the triple-A games, because I didn't think people wanted to wait for massive downloads, but Game xStream jumps this hurdle. And another nice thing is that there's no effort by the developer at all. No need to order content in a certain way. The process is completely transparent to developers. That cannot be underestimated as a selling point in getting Game xStream (or similar systems) accepted by publishers, and developers.

:p

Li Kao

Fuck, I already said it but I will say it again, you post like horny bucks who just got released out of jail crossing path with a doe. It's wonderful in itself but these last few days I stopped counting the number of times the time it took for me to write a post was sufficient to render it utterly useless.

Fun facts with Li Kao - To make this post I upgraded my English vocabulary about rabbits.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fuck, I already said it but I will say it again, you post like horny bucks who just got released out of jail crossing path with a doe. It's wonderful in itself but these last few days I stopped counting the number of time the time it took me to write a post was sufficient to render it utterly useless.

Fun facts with Li Kao - To make this post I upgraded my English vocabulary about rabbits.

In residency terms, this thread is my primary home and the Saoirse Ronan appreciation thread my holiday home. ;)

Fuck, I already said it but I will say it again, you post like horny bucks who just got released out of jail crossing path with a doe. It's wonderful in itself but these last few days I stopped counting the number of time the time it took me to write a post was sufficient to render it utterly useless.

&#35828;&#20160;&#20040;&#65311; ;)

I am not horny right now :(
But yeah. The Steam-thread at times moves kinda fast. Wait till the Sale will hit.

Milamber

o7niHm1.jpg

Steam was the first time I had experienced "play as you download"

You could play CS 1.6 at launch before it was finished downloading all of the maps and assets and whatnot and the rest would download in the background.

But since computers were slower and download speeds sucked back then it was a giant shit-show and it would degrade performance until the game was fully downloaded.

Freezard

That Ride to Hell Retribution Metascore is amazing.

I actually liked the first Dead Island, finished and then helped a friend with some quests, I wonder how the second looks on a pretty PC with pretty settings. I know it must be more of the same, but I liked the first one (PS3) so it got me wondering.

Yeah, it's almost identical to the first game. Tried it out during the free weekend, kind of like an expansion but tweaked. You start at level 30 I believe.

Storm360

Anyone know if there is a way to bypass the market place lock when using a new card?

Gonna miss the DP Deluxe Upgrade because of it :(

Dolor

I want to know if the bajillion EA deals over the past 6-odd months are because the company wants to get a sense of how much money it's leaving on the table by petulantly ignoring Steam or if it's just giving people plenty of opportunities to pick up its Steam catalogue before it too is yanked.

If you give any credibility to Gabe's projections of Valve's recent revenue growth (>50% year over year), one would have to assume it's the first option and not the second.

Sure, some of Valve's revenue growth is likely from Dota 2, but the vast majority of it has to be from Steam. I wouldn't be surprised if the real play with Dota 2 isn't as a free gateway to getting a much bigger Asian market onto Steam.

I stand firm in my belief that anyone trying to sell a PC game is simply dumb to ignore/avoid Steam's 50+ million PC gamers regardless of the revenue cut. I have seen no evidence of Origin's success that would convince me otherwise. If anything, EA's public statements on Origin during earnings calls have always been vague and have almost exclusively lumped Origin in with its mobile business and talked about generically as "digital". Even then, their combined user base with mobile has still been smaller than Valve's PC gaming only user base.

The problem is that once a bunch of executives decide something as big as leaving Steam and building Origin is a good idea is that it takes a lot of evidence to the contrary for them to rethink things. Often, it takes somebody new coming in.

Li Kao

Mmh "just" 50% on euro truck 2 gold, I am sadeness. And glancing over the RPS article, I'm half tempted to wait it out until Oculus comes out. Who am I kidding...

JaseC

If you give any credibility to Gabe's projections of Valve's recent revenue growth (>50% year over year), one would have to assume it's the first option and not the second.

Sure, some of Valve's revenue growth is likely from Dota 2, but the vast majority of it has to be from Steam. I wouldn't be surprised if the real play with Dota 2 isn't as a free gateway to getting a much bigger Asian market onto Steam.

I stand firm in my belief that anyone trying to sell a PC game is simply dumb to ignore/avoid Steam's 50+ million PC gamers regardless of the revenue cut. I have seen no evidence of Origin's success that would convince me otherwise. If anything, EA's public statements on Origin during earnings calls have always been vague and have almost exclusively lumped Origin in with its mobile business and talked about generically as "digital". Even then, their combined user base with mobile has still been smaller than Valve's PC gaming only user base.

The problem is that once a bunch of executives decide something as big as leaving Steam and building Origin is a good idea is that it takes a lot of evidence to the contrary for them to rethink things. Often, it takes somebody new coming in.

I'm still not quite sure which side of the fence I fall on. On the one hand, EA deals always shoot up the Steam sales charts (which is based on revenue rather than unit sales), something which is hard to ignore, but on the other, after EA's utterly transparent* song and dance about Valve's change in DLC policy being the reason why it had pulled a couple of its games and wouldn't be releasing any future games on the service, I frankly would not be surprised if the company's current catalogue disappeared from Steam overnight.

* See, EA labelled Valve as the instigator, stating that a recently change in policy made it difficult to maintain a meaningful relationship with its customers. This change? DLC for future games released on Steam would need to be offered through the store, hence EA taking its a couple of its balls to Origin (Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2, which wouldn't have been affected by the revised policy since they had already been released) and all but abandoning the court. There was a rumour floating around at the time that the actual reason the relationship between EA and Valve had soured was that the former had demanded a larger revenue cut, something the latter flatly refused -- EA's bald-faced lie lends an air of credence to this.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm still not quite sure which side of the fence I fall on. On the one hand, EA deals always shoot up the Steam sales charts (which is based on revenue rather than unit sales), something which is hard to ignore, but on the other, after EA's utterly transparent* song and dance about Valve's change in DLC policy being the reason why it had pulled a couple of its games and wouldn't be releasing any future games on the service, I frankly would not be surprised if the company's current catalogue disappeared from Steam overnight.

* See, EA labelled Valve as the instigator, stating that a recently change in policy made it difficult to maintain a meaningful relationship with its customers. This change? DLC for future games released on Steam would need to be offered through the store, hence EA taking its a couple of its balls to Origin and all but abandoning the court. There was a rumour floating around at the time that the actual reason the relationship between EA and Valve had soured was that EA had demanded a larger revenue cut, something Valve flatly refused -- EA's bald-faced lie lends an air of credence to this.

Could it be that Riccitiello's departure had something to do with it? Maybe the new CEO is not adverse as selling from wherever...

nexen

* See, EA labelled Valve as the instigator, stating that a recently change in policy made it difficult to maintain a meaningful relationship with its customers. This change? DLC for future games released on Steam would need to be offered through the store, hence EA taking its a couple of its balls to Origin (Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2, which wouldn't have been affected by the revised policy since they had already been released) and all but abandoning the court. There was a rumour floating around at the time that the actual reason the relationship between EA and Valve had soured was that EA had demanded a larger revenue cut, something Valve flatly refused -- EA's bald-faced lie lends an air of credence to this.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the EA contingent responsible for their game's sales on Steam is actively trying to undermine the group responsible for Origin. Big company, many fiefdoms.

Grief.exe

Any impressions on the Secret Files games?

It's Grief next target.

There are actually plenty of parallels you can draw between Uplay and GFWL. Its actually a big red herring in that they allow you to purchase and own your games through Steam, but that ownership is entirely dependent on the Uplay client actually functioning.

JaseC

Could it be that Riccitiello's departure had something to do with it? Maybe the new CEO is not adverse as selling from wherever...

Possibly. He did exit the company in March, which is around the time these deals started popping up like weeds.

Edit: I should note that EA didn't get a new CEO until just last month, but it's not as though the company was captain-less in the interim.

nexen

Any impressions on the Secret Files games?

There are actually plenty of parallels you can draw between Uplay and GFWL. Its actually a big red herring in that they allow you to purchase and own your games through Steam, but that ownership is entirely dependent on the Uplay client actually functioning.
I hate UPlay so much more than GFWL.
I do like that UPlay cheeves unlock DLC and extra items though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom