• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

Why did the push the damn release date? Oh well, I just got my key and will have it downloaded in time anyway.

(that's about Arkham Origins)

Knurek

If you are not enjoying it why are you playing it? Just curious, but if you are at that point in the game you had enough hours of gameplay to realize things are not going to change anytime soon. To answer your question you are past midpoint in black mesa.

I've been playing the game (on and off) for at least half a year, and I just want it to be over so that I can move on to HL2/Episodes.

Dunno, maybe it's the Black Mesa guys, but there are just too many moments of 'monster teleporting behind you' or 'commando sniping at you from half a mile and killing you almost instantly' for a shooter without regenerating health.

Yeah, I know, horror game and all... Thing is, I beat q1 on Hard (not Nightmare) and I hadn't had half as many problems as I have here.

The word 'half' is used once in every of three paragraphs. HL3 confirmed?

MNC

Got a password reset mail. Thankfully for SteamGuad I'm not too scared but these things always make me a bit edgy though. The mail that came in had the IP the reset was requested from; any good sites I can use to look up the location?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got a password reset mail. Thankfully for SteamGuad I'm not too scared but these things always make me a bit edgy though. The mail that came in had the IP the reset was requested from; any good sites I can use to look up the location?

I always use this site.

Grief.exe

bunch of people on the OT finished arkham origins and say its the best in the series. Unexpected

You can't take opinions seriously right now. Too many people still in the 'infatuation period' happens with every game. Give it 6 months to get some objective opinions.

I'm not saying it is or isn't a bad game, just people can't be trusted right now.

masterkajo

I'm actually going to replay the original Mass Effect one of these days, but I'm just going to end up ignoring the spin-offs,2, and 3. I'll just pretend it's a full story on it's own and that as it turns out, that was the last Reaper in existence.

On behalf of my girlfriend who will play it forever, thank you for Two Worlds II.

The way to enjoy Mass Effect is to think of it as Star Trek slashfic and do just the missions/plots that sound interesting with characters you like. Trying to get into the lore or exposing yourself to some truly repetitive encounter design is a recipe for heartbreak by the time the credits roll on the third game.

Think of it as a game about a storied hero who punches reporters and dumps lovers after bedding them once. Not the SciFi space opera about averting impending doom that it claims to be.

Unfortuantely, that seems the way it is. I loved me some Mass Effect 1 (ask all my friends and coworkers. I woudln't shut up about until everyone played through it. I even played it for a friend who isn't a gamer while he sat beside me and decided the plot). ME2 was ok. It was a downgrade IMO from ME1 lore and story-wise though I enjoyed some chracters very much. ME3 does not exist for me. I was never more insulted than after having the credits roll after
I refused to accept that stupid child's decision and didn't get any any actual ending - I didn't even get an achievement for beating the game - at all. It then turned out it was actually the best ending b/c the other 3 decisions make even less sense.

I went to a job expo today and was surprised by one company having an Oculus Rift dev kit there to demonstrate what they had done. Pretty cool, pretty cool, indeed. I am 100% buying the final product especially since it got higher resolution. It was quite noticable but was not dampening the fun and enjoyment of riding a virtual rollercoaster and walking through the company's virtual offices at all. It really is something special.

Salsa

Wut, finished in less than a day? How the hell do people do that.

it unlocked earlier for others

You can't take opinions seriously right now. Too many people still in the 'infatuation period' happens with every game. Give it 6 months to get some objective opinions.

I'm not saying it is or isn't a bad game, just people can't be trusted right now.

going by that reasoning most people start calling great games shit after 6 months either way. I mean im not saying base your purchase on the opinions of others, im just saying people who loved the previous games really love this one so at least that means they didnt fuck it up

of course it'll be cool to hate it in 6 months, what game isnt? bioshock infinite syndrome

Grief.exe

going by that reasoning most people start calling great games shit after 6 months either way. I mean im not saying base your purchase on the opinions of others, im just saying people who loved the previous games really love this one so at least that means they didnt fuck it up

of course it'll be cool to hate it in 6 months, what game isnt? bioshock infinite syndrome

Really good games seem to stand the test of time.

RE4 has threads created daily about how great it is, Last of Us is still being lauded as an excellent game (probably just past the infatuation period with that one). You hear detractors for both, but the general consensus is still very positive.

The examples of games that did not exit the infatuation period well were Skyrim and Infinite. The general consensus for both games seems to be crumbling, with Infinite crumbling far faster than Skyrim.

neoism

she said "put it in, quick"....
megustabishieplz.png
man shes sooo awesome.. :p

DukeBobby

The examples of games that did not exit the infatuation period well were Skyrim and Infinite. The general consensus for both games seems to be crumbling, with Infinite crumbling far faster than Skyrim.

GTA V is crumbling a bit too, but that's because of GTA Online.

Salsa

Really good games seem to stand the test of time.

RE4 has threads created daily about how great it is, Last of Us is still being lauded as an excellent game (probably just past the infatuation period with that one). You hear detractors for both, but the general consensus is still very positive.

im not expecting Arkham Origins to be Resident Evil 4 quality dude

im just saying Origins seems better than I thought it'd be, both profesionally (going by reviews) and gaffer's opinions. Was expecting something more average

neoism

man I hope Castlevaina goes cheaper during the Christmas sale... got .01 cent in meh wallet... :*( preloading Origins now.. :p

Grief.exe

GTA V is crumbling a bit too, but that's because of GTA Online.

It will be perfect timing for the PC release. By that time, people will be able to finally objectively say whether the game is that good or not.

Something in the back of my mind says its not as good as people make it out to be, but I've been on a blackout from that game essentially. The cynic in me just finds it hard to believe that the game is that good.

im not expecting Arkham Origins to be Resident Evil 4 quality dude

im just saying Origins seems better than I thought it'd be, both profesionally (going by reviews) and gaffer's opinions. Was expecting something more average

I know! I wasn't really focusing on the quality, or potential lack there of, in relation to Origins! Was more just discussing the infatuation period, sorry if it came off as something different.

That is why I said this

Salsa

man I hope Castlevaina goes cheaper during the Christmas sale... got .01 cent in meh wallet... :*( preloading Origins now.. :p

those first couple hours of Castlevania are excrutiating, I know the game gets better later but gawd

I just left it there for now (after the ice giant fight). I'll get back to it someday

I know! I wasn't really focusing on the quality, or potential lack there of, in relation to Origins! Was more just discussing the infatuation period, sorry if it came off as something different.

That is why I said this

sure, it's just that the vibe in that thread (even from the more enthusiastic) was like "expectations in check, just hope the combat is good" and it seems to be better recieved than expected

I just looked at the review thread on Origins.... Isn't there like only one review out right now on it.

Main thing that bums me out on it is no Mark Hamill. Granted I think originally he said AA was gonna be his last time playing the Joker.

edit: No Kevin Conroy makes me sad as well.

But then again you disliked Arkham Asylum, so I don't know if my opinions are worth listening to :p

Of course they are worth listening to. We may not agree in our tastes but that's okay :).

Oh and I did not dislike AA as such but I did find it profoundly disappointing given I was expecting to fall in love with it from all that I had heard about it. In all sorts of ways I should have done as it ticked so many boxes for me. I've been pondering what exactly my issue with it is and have a sense of it but am not yet able to coalesce it into a coherent set of words.

The way to enjoy Mass Effect is to think of it as Star Trek slashfic and do just the missions/plots that sound interesting with characters you like. Trying to get into the lore or exposing yourself to some truly repetitive encounter design is a recipe for heartbreak by the time the credits roll on the third game.

Think of it as a game about a storied hero who punches reporters and dumps lovers after bedding them once. Not the SciFi space opera about averting impending doom that it claims to be.

Well that sounds rather sensible :). I am not a great fan of heavily story driven games in the main [to put it mildly] but if the first Mass Effect pops up on Steam at a 'it would be rude not to, stupidly cheap impulse price, say £1.99' then I'd give it a whirl if for no other reason than to sate my curiosity. After hearing so many game journalists fellate the games on podcasts over the years it would be rather fun to see if my suspicions of how I would react to it were well placed or not ;).

If you blaze through the story, sure. I really don't like/can't play games like that though.

I don't know, I like to take my time playing games.

bro nerd fist bump

re no Mark Hamill in Origins; his voice work was one of the very few aspects of AA that I enjoyed. That and Harley Quinn's voice work, together with the hurr durr Joker's goons. I thought MH's work was exceptional. I rather warmed to the Joker. Wish he'd killed off Batman, the great big stiff.

Nabs

those first couple hours of Castlevania are excrutiating, I know the game gets better later but gawd

I just left it there for now (after the ice giant fight). I'll get back to it someday

I beat the ice fight, played a bit more and then just deleted it. That type of game is just not for me.

Hinomura

A bit more of Shadow Man...

ibtg0bcywIZ874.png

(1200p, 4x Supersampling via nVinspector, GPU pratically always silent)

Getting controls right
After a bit of time finally I've managed to play it probably as developers intended. What puzzled me at first was the lack of strafe. That was caused by Target Lock and Crouch assigned by default to the same key on the keyboard, making impossible to target lock - strafe.

As mapped crouch to another key, now I'm moving Shadow Man with cursors (forward, backword, turn left/right) and when I need to strafe I keep pressed Ctrl (target lock + strafe if an enemy is nearby, otherwise just strafe) while pressing left or right cursor.

Progressing
Obviously, once I got the controls right I started to "gain ground". There's quite a bit of backtracking, but you can teleport by using the stuffed bear of your dead little brother, and you can jump sections using a weapon/tool in its altar. I'm growing powers but I still can't use Shadowman Powers in the Live side of the world (I still miss an item).

Exploration is really satisfying. The places are quite diversified even being in the same area, despite technical limits. To avoid quick deaths is better to go on slowly, possibly bringing down one enemey at time and don't rushing the platforming. Clearing an area is satisfying, but sometimes there are still a few surprises lurking in the dark here and there. I've found a bit of tricky places to get... not really so hard, but save/load function helps a lot not to waste too much time when failure means instant death. Enemy respawn has some random variables and occurs only when using Bear-teleport, so it's not that bad.

When outdated graphics magically disappear
While exploring and playing or, even better, finally reaching an important goal of a quest, I found myself satisfied (first and most important thing), and totally used to the game visuals as if it was 1999. Again, it could be part of the rose tinted glasses view, but I think it's the game merit: great atmosphere and easiness to get lost into.

Summing again, a couple of days later
My advice to play this game is stronger. Imagine a western horror game with a bit of Zelda and a bit of Metroidvania. Just remap - absolutely - the controls!

Steam (DRM free, you can play it without launching the client): http://store.steampowered.com/app/251770

Gog (DRM free, linked for par condicio): http://www.gog.com/game/shadow_man

Grief.exe

I just looked at the review thread on Origins.... Isn't there like only one review out right now on it.

Main thing that bums me out on it is no Mark Hamill. Granted I think originally he said AA was gonna be his last time playing the Joker.

edit: No Kevin Conroy makes me sad as well.

Have you heard Troy Baker though? He picks up the mantle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAn49oUtHJE&t=01m51s

I beat the ice fight, played a bit more and then just deleted it. That type of game is just not for me.

I might have to stay away as well then.

Tomb Raider being the classic recent example. The thread was filled with glowing impressions from people who were a couple of hours in (and quite rightly so). However it didn't take long for that to turn around as people played more of it.

Speaking of amazing games:

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Burn Zombie Burn -- MB-D3CD8FAB56D7E13B - Taken by Spawn

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It was a mistake even with just the explanation they did choose, especially after reading Rionaa's impressions of the ME3 ending above.
To me, the problem is that the Reapers needed no explanation. As Sovereign once said, their motives were such that simple humans wouldn't be able to understand them, they transcended our comprehension. So
the star child
's explanation felt like a kick in the nuts, and it shat all over that.

The Reapers should have been left as misterious and incomprehensible beings, extremely powerful and vicious. Or, if BioWare needed to explain their motivation, at least they should have chosen one that made sense and wasn't ridiculous and stupid.
"Hey, remember those evil robots you have just made peace with? Well, I'm still sure they are going to kill you all, so in order to prevent that I'm gonna send the Reapers to kill you first. For your own protection, of course. But don't worry, I'm gonna turn your decayed and horribly mutated bodies into other Reapers, so you can keep killing other races in the future. All in their best interests, that is. Here, pick your favorite color."

Ridiculous.

AkuMifune

Banned
I know Naruto will probably be $40, but the suspense is killing me. Less than an hour away until the price reveal!

Yeah, it's been a slow work day.

Salsa

Tomb Raider being the classic recent example. The thread was filled with glowing impressions from people who were a couple of hours in (and quite rightly so). However it didn't take long for that to turn around as people played more of it.

im talking about people who finished the game tho

I'm right before the end and yes, this is the best game in the arkham-series (imo). great bossfights and many highlights in the second part (>50 %). And it's a longer game than Arkham City.

Okay, story finished.
My ranking:

1. Arkham Origins
2. Arkham City
3. Arkham Asylum

What a ride. Best story of all three games, best cutscenes and best acting.

etc

still tho I dont disagree with Grief. Just expected bit more disappointing reactions

Grief.exe

To me, the problem is that the Reapers needed no explanation. As Sovereign once said, their motives were such that simple humans wouldn't be able to understand them, they transcended our comprehension. So
the star child
's explanation felt like a kick in the nuts, and it shat all over that.

The Reapers should have been left as misterious and incomprehensible beings, extremely powerful and vicious. Or, if BioWare needed to explain their motivation, at least they should have chosen one that made sense and wasn't ridiculous and stupid.
"Hey, remember those evil robots you have just made peace with? Well, I'm still sure they are going to kill you all, so in order to prevent that I'm gonna send the Reapers to kill you first. For your own protection, of course. But don't worry, I'm gonna turn your decayed and horribly mutated bodies into other Reapers, so you can keep killing other races in the future. All in their best interests, that is. Here, pick your favorite color."

Ridiculous.

That Sovereign quote makes me miss the potential of the Dark Matter story line rather than the huehuehue they eventually went with.

I know Naruto will probably be $40, but the suspense is killing me. Less than an hour away until the price reveal!

Yeah, it's been a slow work day.

Enslaved Premium is $20 on PSN right now, with a PC release to come. Not quite the same situation, but take that as you will.

AHA-Lambda

Arkham Origins unlock time been pushed by an hour in the UK?

It seems to unlock at midnight but I swore yesterday it was unlocking by 11pm tonight =/

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Fractal -- MB-4F02790AD85FF11E - Taken by KenOD

neoism

Does the Director's Cut of DE:HR have slightly better visuals or is it just me?

I'll prob bite next month still wish square wasn't soo greedy but getting 90 hours from 2 playthroughs and the awesome..DLC should been free a update... wish they included a harder difficulty or something...definitely my GOTY in 2011.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Thank you very much for this.

As soon as I get any extra money to spend to collect some keys, I'm going to try and pay back this thread for all the great things I've received out of kindness.
lol Jase if you dont mind what do you do for a living...

I'm starting to think he is just a more advance kin of ModBot, only his purpose is to try and collect everything on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom