• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

Offline mode (with disconnected ethernet cable) doesn't work either. Giving me the same error.
Why does Steam need to contact the servers anyway when going into offline mode?

Head, meet desk.
? worked from me nicely... played 3 hours of BO and its even tracking my cheevos and play time... will restart steam once BO is live...
BO is awesome definitely the same ol thang but a great awesome looking game with amazing combat.. Plays beautifully on my R5870.. better than AC even... The fov is really bad though will fix that tomorrow..

By jove!

I fired up The 39 Steps earlier, fully intending only to play a chapter or two to help clear a Dead Space induced headache, before retiring to bed for the night. Yet I found myself so utterly gripped by the story that I ended up blazing through the last three quarters of it in one session. Talk about a real page turner! :)

The perceptive amongst you will remember that I was bemoaning heavily story driven games earlier. Well this isn't a contradiction at all! Honest. The 39 Steps is not a game at all frankly. Oh yes there are some elementary point and click style elements but they're a sham to be frank. Essentially it is a jolly good jape, stylishly told with a bit of interactive window dressing. If you have four hours or so to kill and like a good yarn then I heartily recommend it.

My problem with heavily story driven games is that they invariably spoil the actual interactive, gameplay element of games. If I want to play a game I want to play a bloody game, not sit passively watching hugely expensive cut scenes twiddling my thumbs, irritated that I'm being stopped from playing and being force fed a story I don't care about starring characters I don't care about. If I'm playing a game that I know is basically just a story like Dear Esther or The 39 Steps with no real gameplay then I'm getting what I signed up for and am quite happy with that. Very few games I've played have managed that fine marriage of gameplay and story without getting on my nerves, let alone being a story that I have enjoyed. Even the intro to Super Metroid gets on my tits FFS!

tl;dr: four hours to spare, fancy a good yarn? The 39 Steps cheap or in a bundle? Get it.

thanks for this, love the story/film but Ive been hesitant to play

neoism

I'm but a simple purveyor of Saoirse Ronan avatars.

fryzoomsquint.gif

<3

I bought it from Amazon, I'm pretty sure I didn't had it but when I tried to redeem it Steam says I already own it. There's a 50% chance Steam got borked and the code is already redeemed. Good luck and let me know if it works.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

The Walking Dead 400 Days -- MB-6E27FBD19E09245A - Taken by Miker

Li Kao

I swear there are moments when parking a truck where it awfully ressembles a game of twister. Failing at that like I fail, I'm half waiting for the game to ransform the damn thing into an autobot just for the lulz.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I swear there are moments when parking a truck where it awfully ressembles a game of twister. Failing at that like I fail, I'm half waiting for the game to ransform the damn thing into an autobot just for the lulz.

Hahaha. I know that feeling. Sponge Bob's "I'M BACKING UP! BACKING UP! BACKING UP..." *several hours later* "BACKING UP! BACKING UP!" comes to mind in my attempts.

I threw my hands up and just let it auto-park for me.

And it isn't my fault I'm "speeding" at a reasonable 55MPH, Euro-land! That's like... sub-interstate level in the US! Get on 'Murica's level!

Miker

I bought it from Amazon, I'm pretty sure I didn't had it but when I tried to redeem it Steam says I already own it. There's a 50% chance Steam got borked and the code is already redeemed. Good luck and let me know if it works.

I won and the key doesn't work (boo and indeed hoo), but thanks for the giveaway anyway!

Li Kao

Hahaha. I know that feeling. Sponge Bob's "I'M BACKING UP! BACKING UP! BACKING UP..." *several hours later* "BACKING UP! BACKING UP!" comes to mind in my attempts.

I threw my hands up and just let it auto-park for me.

And it isn't my fault I'm "speeding" at a reasonable 55MPH, Euro-land! That's like... sub-interstate level in the US! Get on 'Murica's level!

Yup cultural clashes... I have traumas since my trip to England in the game (sorry Woo) !
Mph in place of Km messed with my sense of speed (hilarity ensues...), some fucker fined me because my truck wasn't sufficiently lit at night (I swear the most powerful lights are forbidden in France when there are other cars around), my employer gave me a thing barely looking like a truck that can't speed up to save its life but manage to lose control every 5 minutes, and my auto save awaits me, truck gently on top of a little fence, unmovable without calling for help. After two calls for help already, two repairs, blowing the deadline and sleepy, my driver is half convinced this is the land of the devil.

Oh by the way Woo, or anyone in the know about this land of light fining savages... you drive on the left, ok no problem but... when there are several lanes, which one is the normal one ? :-x
Edit. Stupid question with two lanes, yeah, was more about where I should drive on a highway with three lanes, one of the three regularly going inner city. On the middle one would be logical. Was stressful not knowing where to drive at night though.

denx

oh yeah, new Steam thread yess

Been out of the loop for the last week. What's been happening in Steamland?

Mph in place of Km messed with my sense of speed

I don't even know how americans can measure things without nice round numbers ending in zero lol. The whole miles/pounds/whatever system confuses the crap out of me.

DTKT

Random Mass Effect sale. I wonder who makes these kind of calls? Some random PR drone at EA? Or is it some kind of larger marketing plan?

denx

Random Mass Effect sale. I wonder who makes these kind of calls? Some random PR drone at EA? Or is it some kind of larger marketing plan?

Man what's up with EA not releasing complete editions of the ME games. Even the ME Collection didn't have all the DLC geez...

Well Naruto, Enlaved, and Batman are here. Some new UI changes in the beta and that's about it.

Enslaved! So Grief was right (again), praise him.
not buying it until it is 75% off

Talking about Batman, I'm near the end (I think) of Arkham Asylum. Playing without the counter indicators in Hard difficulty was a bit of a pain in the ass, but it wasn't too bad. Overall I've had a ton of fun with the game. Really looking forward now to play Arkham City. The open world approach seems like it will suit me very well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
With the Halloween Sale all but confirmed to begin next week, I'm going to roll the dice on Saw.

I may have asked this before, can't remember: Any way to obtain Wolfenstein 2009 on Steam?

Through traders, but expect to pay through the nose. The only alternative is to wait -- Acti and Bethesda may agree upon distribution terms as they did with Quake 4.

Enslaved! So Grief was right (again), praise him.
not buying it until it is 75% off

Enslaved popped up in the registry months ago. ;)

JaseC

That reminds me: We didn't get an Autumn sale this time, did we?

October = Halloween Sale
November = Autumn Sale
December = Winter Sale

Spring is the only season Valve ignores. I wonder if that'll change one day.

DocSeuss

Through traders, but expect to pay through the nose. The only alternative is to wait -- Acti and Bethesda may agree upon distribution terms as they did with Quake 4.

Ouch. I only have like $4 to my name right now, so that's probably not happening. I have an Amazon Gift Card, though. Was thinking of using it on Prey or Wolfenstein, since I know the former's code can be used; was hoping the latter would as well. Really bummed that ain't so.

I chatted with Pete Hines (I think? Some Bethesda guy; it's been a while) about it. The impression I had is that he wasn't really clear on the details. Bethesda's apparently waiting for something before they buy it.

JaseC

Ouch. I only have like $4 to my name right now, so that's probably not happening. I have an Amazon Gift Card, though. Was thinking of using it on Prey or Wolfenstein, since I know the former's code can be used; was hoping the latter would as well. Really bummed that ain't so.

I chatted with Pete Hines (I think? Some Bethesda guy; it's been a while) about it. The impression I had is that he wasn't really clear on the details. Bethesda's apparently waiting for something before they buy it.

I can see an agreement being reached considering the impending release of Wolfenstein: The New Order. The issue is that while Bethesda owns the IP, the game itself was developed by Raven, an Acti-owned studio. I've been meaning to contact Bethesda/id myself and ask if Enemy Territory: Quake Wars will return to Steam as according to Acti Support "the game is now licensed by id Software" and Splash Damage is independent, so there's no conflict of interest.

At least Acti made Wolf '09 a Daily just weeks before it was pulled, giving people a brief window of opportunity. Can't say the James Bond games received the same treatment, and in fact Acti dropped the licence barely three months after 007 Legends released.

kurahador

Alright...here it is. Posting it in steam thread as well coz ppl here are likely didn't have it yet.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hearthstone Beta Key (NA) -- MB-E142C0990E2A1AE5 - Taken by Beelzebubs

Pudge

I do hope Wolfenstein gets back on Steam one day. I played through a good chunk of it on 360 on a rental and I'd love to go back to it and finish it up. Really underrated title.

JaseC

I wonder, will Konami will release/finish the PC port of Saw 2 now that it apparently has the licence again?

Looks like I don't need to look out for Saw for Jase anymore :p

I regret nothing.

You paid around $35 all up, right? That's not too bad a premium. I do feel sorry for any folks who recently forked out north of $50, though.

catabarez

Don't get my hopes up with Saw 2 again Jase.

Yeah I definitely got a decent deal for the time. And I did enjoy what little I actually played of the game. Halloween might warrant a full playthrough from me.

Edit: Saw 2 is definitely possibly I think with all these late ports coming to Steam.

JaseC

Don't get my hopes up with Saw 2 again Jase.

Yeah I definitely got a decent deal for the time. And I did enjoy what little I actually played of the game. Halloween might warrant a full playthrough from me.

Edit: Saw 2 is definitely possibly I think with all these late ports coming to Steam.

That's the spirit!

Review:

it increases your game count by 1.

Score: 1935/1934

I can't disagree with your assessment, but I am actually interested! Ricochetguro would also appreciate some impressions, which he can't ask for himself because he's a naughty boy and is sitting in the sin bin for a few days. ;)

catabarez

That's the spirit!

I can't disagree with your assessment, but I am actually interested! Ricochetguro would also appreciate some impressions, which he can't ask for himself because he's a naughty boy and is sitting in the sin bin for a few days. ;)

Dammit you got to me pretty quick.

Knurek

Uh-oh, while both Naruto and Batman are in the top sellers list (#1 and #2), Enslaved is currently #18. Even when taking into account that it's half (or more) price than the above games, this doesn't bode well for the game's success...

JaseC

Uh-oh, while both Naruto and Batman are in the top sellers list (#1 and #2), Enslaved is currently #18. Even when taking into account that it's half (or more) price than the above games, this doesn't bode well for the game's success...

Enslaved as a game is three years old and Scamco made the bone-headed decision to forgo an early bird discount. It'll sell well when discounted, as everything does on Steam.

OH MY GOD.

dancexioum.gif

;)

Edit: What's the skinny on Demonicon? It's obviously not the most polished RPG affair but it seems interesting.

Ugh going from a Bioshock 2 run to Infinite can be kind of rough, thankfully the sound design is still awesome at least.

Kind of OT but Jase as much as I appreciate your Saoirse gifs do you have anything from Hanna? I would like an ass kicking version of her for some variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom